Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
DCU have won three games in a row, and all were shutouts. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

DCU have won three games in a row, and all were shutouts. What the gently caress.

Jalen Robinson has played his way onto the starting XI. He's everything they hyped him to be.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

camoseven posted:

Minnesota just won at Chicago, who entered the game 10-2-1 at home on the year.

lol

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I'd like to think this means LA win tomorrow, but who are we kidding? We're going to get a defender sent off, Zardes is going to be crap, and we're going to continue to complain that we don't have a target man when we won't even put McBean in the 18.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Toxx yourselves you MLSers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831115&perpage=40

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
LA Galaxy have been shutout 4 games in a row for the first time ever. So what do we do to strengthen our attacking force? Welcome to the team, DOMINIC KINNEAR!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tigren posted:

LA Galaxy have been shutout 4 games in a row for the first time ever. So what do we do to strengthen our attacking force? Welcome to the team, DOMINIC KINNEAR!

To be fair, anything he can do on the training pitch to shore up your increasingly patchwork defense (didn't van Anholt blow out his knee this week?) will probably also help.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MBison Yes.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Do the Galaxy next

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tigren posted:

Do the Galaxy next

Better than the Rapids.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

Better than the Rapids.

Not by much

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/28/playoff-probabilities-every-mls-team-after-week-25

Eastern Conference

Toronto FC - >99%
New York City FC - >99%
New York Red Bulls - 90%
Chicago Fire - 89%
Atlanta United - 88%
Columbus Crew SC - 82%
Montreal Impact - 38%
New England Revolution - 9%
Orlando City SC - 2%
Philadelphia Union - 2%
D.C. United - <1%

Western Conference

Seattle Sounders - 98%
Sporting Kansas City - 97%
Houston Dynamo - 91%
Vancouver Whitecaps FC - 90%
Portland Timbers - 89%
FC Dallas - 79%
San Jose Earthquakes - 30%
Real Salt Lake - 25%
Minnesota United FC - <1%
LA Galaxy - <1%
Colorado Rapids - <1%

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

tk posted:

Not by much

Look, if you had to pick between the Rapids and the Galaxy to pull off the impossible and make it to the first knockout round of the playoffs, who would you pick? I'll give you one hint: it's not the Rapids.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Star Man posted:

Look, if you had to pick between the Rapids and the Galaxy to pull off the impossible and make it to the first knockout round of the playoffs, who would you pick? I'll give you one hint: it's not the Rapids.

In this situation I just really want to pick neither.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone please find Stan Kroenke and drag him to his stadium in Commerce City kicking and screaming and have him drawn and quartered before a live audience, sell his poo poo team to loving any one willing to buy it, and forget that there ever was an MLS team in Colorado.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FC Dallas has hopped aboard the bullet train to Mediocreville. Really feels like they're banking everything on the future of their younger players.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shinjobi posted:

FC Dallas has hopped aboard the bullet train to Mediocreville. Really feels like they're banking everything on the future of their younger players.

Man. What year is it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Man. What year is it?

Any year but 2016, I suppose!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Star Man posted:

Someone please find Stan Kroenke and drag him to his stadium in Commerce City kicking and screaming and have him drawn and quartered before a live audience, sell his poo poo team to loving any one willing to buy it, and forget that there ever was an MLS team in Colorado.

Something something Arsenal.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

NASL is dead

http://fiftyfive.one/2017/09/us-soccer-federation-rejects-nasls-division-ii-application/

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

What is NISA and why is it happening

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

What is the difference between D2 and D3 status since there's no relegation or promotion anyway? Honest question.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Peter Wilt's latest attempt at implementing pro/rel in the US. They're looking to grab USL/NPSL markets and eventually create pro/rel between NISA and NASL.

Gigi Galli posted:

What is the difference between D2 and D3 status since there's no relegation or promotion anyway? Honest question.

US Open Cup entry round, maybe an incredibly small bit of prestige difference to the public and/or potential players, and uhhhh... I think that's it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There are specific subsections in USSF's professional league standards for each of the three divisions: http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?page_id=5449. It's most related to the number of teams, financial guarantees, and stadium size/location.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The good news from that article is that worst team name ever Rayo OKC folded.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

NISA is what your older brother calls you in anime.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

They were always going to die, it would just have been preferable for them to do so in a way that everyone knew it was their own fault rather than that of a Shadowy USSF Conspiracy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
RIP NASL, you gave me my all time favorite soccer/minor league sports news story

one team owner takes his half of the field, goes home

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NASL isn't dead. It's just the same bullshit we went through last fall/winter while waiting until literally January of this year for the USSF to decide which leagues got be what for 2017. Last year, it ended up that the NASL and USL had put in for D2 sanctioning, both got denied, and then after weeks of "consultations" and legal threats and discussing whatever else, both ended up as "provisional D2".

The difference this time is that the original decision was made public by a reporter right after it happened. A few hours later, it came out that the USSF is giving the NASL at least two weeks to work with them and re-submit a bid, which is very similar to the track that everything went on last year.

Basically the way the USSF governs the sport in this country is a farce.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 6, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Basically the way the USSF governs the sport in this country is a farce.

Are you even surprised by this genre, given the cast of characters at that level?

The USSF wants stability in the lower leagues (really they want stability period), but they also don't want to be the bad guy and just pull the trigger on either of them (especially since D2 sanctioning is currently the deadman switch on the NASL and its break fees), so they'll give the lower leagues endless chances to get their poo poo together and always be trying to hammer out compromise solutions, but at the end of the day one league is on track to meet the standards (IIRC, if they shoved the MLS2 teams down to a D3 they would meet them already?) and one is barely treading water let alone making progress.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 6, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Are you even surprised by this genre, given the cast of characters at that level?

The USSF wants stability in the lower leagues (really they want stability period), but they also don't want to be the bad guy and just pull the trigger on either of them (especially since D2 sanctioning is currently the deadman switch on the NASL and its break fees), so they'll give the lower leagues endless chances to get their poo poo together and always be trying to hammer out compromise solutions, but at the end of the day one league is on track to meet the standards (IIRC, if they shoved the MLS2 teams down to a D3 they would meet them already?) and one is barely treading water let alone making progress.
If the USSF really wanted stability, it would just run D2 and D3, and let teams come and go based on some combination of performance and economic standards. Instead, we have the USL and the NASL at each other's throats for seven years and counts, and this poo poo runs down to the amateur leagues where the USL-run PDL has been offering cash for teams to switch over from the NPSL, and in some cases the other way around.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

let teams come and go based on some combination of performance and economic standards

If only there was a way to do this...

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Crazy Ted posted:

If the USSF really wanted stability, it would just run D2 and D3, and let teams come and go based on some combination of performance and economic standards.

This is literally how it is at the youth level (US Soccer Development Academy). There's so much money and strife between USYSA, USCS, AYSO, etc. that USSF said "gently caress it, here's your league, apply to join or become irrelevant." There are still the other options, but it's now the best pathway to pro.

Even with the DA in place, people still won't play along because politics and money. I can imagine it only sharpens at the top.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

wicka posted:

If only there was a way to do this...
I wasn't thinking straight promotion and relegation, but back when the USL was the only lower-tier setup they let teams voluntarily switch back and forth between their D2 league and their D3 league based on what they felt was best for their finances, without having to go all the way from full-time professional to amateur level.

What we'll probably end up with is promotion and relegation in some form between the lower-tier league, but MLS never getting involved unless FIFA steps in.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 6, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bio-Hazard posted:

Even with the DA in place, people still won't play along because politics and money. I can imagine it only sharpens at the top.

Pretty much. I agree that the USSF should just run the lower leagues more-or-less permanently if the various children can't get along, but I think the different context makes that trickier to do at pro level than at youth level, and it seems clear that isn't their ideal outcome. They want to nudge the leagues together rather than force them.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Pretty much. I agree that the USSF should just run the lower leagues more-or-less permanently if the various children can't get along
You would think that after trying to do exactly this for no less than eight years with no success to show for it, they'd...you know...realize it's never going to happen unless either one cannibalizes the other or they both fail.

And then the USSF would be right back where it was in 2000-2005, when the USL acted like yearly "franchise fees" were a personal ATM for the senior officers and it started the chain of events that led us to where we are now.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Florida Man arrested on domestic violence charges
http://amp.wftv.com/sports/orlando-citys-will-johnson-arrested/604123544?ecmp=wftv_social_twitter_sfp

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Man, at this rate Orlando is just going to forfeit the rest of the season and come back to try again next year.

Crazy Ted posted:

You would think that after trying to do exactly this for no less than eight years with no success to show for it, they'd...you know...realize it's never going to happen unless either one cannibalizes the other or they both fail.

That's the contextual issue here, I think. At least with the DA most people agree what it should DO, the political disputes are about who should control it and get the credit and skim fees off it. If the USSF ran the lower pro league permanently, could it really avoid the question of how it should interact with MLS (which seems to be the main philosophical dispute of this mini-Soccer War)? By letting market forces work themselves out and just stepping in to mediate, the federation doesn't have to take a side on the broader question (though I suppose many think they already have?). On the other hand it means they look ineffective.

It honestly looks to me like market forces have like 90% decided this war anyway. If it weren't for Tom Fath's bloodymindedness IDK if the NASL would have even played this season. If I were Gulati I would try to leverage the USL into accepting any NASL teams that want to jump to the USL (even the Cosmos and Miami) - it's a lower-effort road to the same ending. I have no idea why D2 vs. D3 sanctioning matters in the slightest without pro/rel, but it appears to matter to USL officers, so the fed can use it as a stick.

quote:

And then the USSF would be right back where it was in 2000-2005, when the USL acted like yearly "franchise fees" were a personal ATM for the senior officers and it started the chain of events that led us to where we are now.

You would know better than me how many of the people involved there are still around, but one hopes they've learned their lesson.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If the USSF has taught us anything, it's that laissez-faire soccernomics don't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If the USSF has taught us anything, it's that laissez-faire soccernomics don't work.

Ironically correct is the best kind of correct.

• Locked thread