Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

Those windows and wood frames are not going to hold up well.

Well it's held up since 1976. House was being sold as-is, and some of glazing on the greenhouse has failed to the point where they have plastic over it, but the windows and framing on the pyramids themselves seem okay. The slate on the exterior needs a good power-washing though.

This cabin seems very cozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm the crucified doll.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aren't we all.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It came from Terrible Real Estate Agent Photos:

Definitely a good idea.

:thermidor:

:stare:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh my lord need a panorama view of that bathroom

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess you had to post this on in interior design rather than crappy construction because the tile work is excellent? That circle is perfect. Dude really committed to that theme.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

That bathtub looks like a Crown Royal bag.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Thread over. We found it.

Why :stare:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Facebook Aunt posted:

I guess you had to post this on in interior design rather than crappy construction because the tile work is excellent? That circle is perfect. Dude really committed to that theme.

"I'm giving Henry 4/5 stars, because although he did a wonderful and clean job on the mudroom, bathroom tile, and backsplash, he did keep playing this yelly construction punk band called Skrewdriver on his toolbox speakers. Very fond of my cat though, he kept wiggling his fingers at him and calling him "My Fur-er"." -Sarah K. from Boca Raton

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Thread over. We found it.

Why :stare:
:finland:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Haifisch posted:

It came from Terrible Real Estate Agent Photos:

Definitely a good idea.

GoonPool 2.0: Takin' it Upstairs

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A swastika on the wall. In a shower.

Hmm.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Why would you do this?

Apparently there's a hidden freezer and fridge there and the cutting board is covering the four-burner cooktop, but still. Why would you get rid of all your real appliances and your pantry space? The kitchen before maybe needed updating but at least it was functional as a kitchen. :psyduck:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'll never understand the 'hide your fridge/freezer' trend.

It's a kitchen. It's going to have a fridge in it. It looks weirder if you don't see one. Stop it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

It's a kitchen. It's going to have a fridge in it. It looks weirder if you don't see one. Stop it.

if you can afford to hide the fridge you can afford to buy a fridge you don't need to hide

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Irony is that This side of the water if you have a kitchen large enough for what we call "American freezers" then by god you don't hide them because those things are expensive.

No really, we actually call them that. http://www.argos.co.uk/browse/home-and-garden/large-kitchen-appliances/fridge-freezers/c:29617/type:american-fridge-freezers/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

learnincurve posted:

Irony is that This side of the water if you have a kitchen large enough for what we call "American freezers" then by god you don't hide them because those things are expensive.

No really, we actually call them that. http://www.argos.co.uk/browse/home-and-garden/large-kitchen-appliances/fridge-freezers/c:29617/type:american-fridge-freezers/

:pwn:

So is the term specifically for vertically split fridge/freezer combos or do UK homes have, like, super narrow refrigerators?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

European fridge/freezers are typically 55-60cm (21.6"-23.6") wide. Combo fridge/freezer unit are split horizontally.

I haven't heard anyone use the term "american freezer", but I guess it refers to combo units that are wider than 60cm and split vertically.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Really it meams those stupid almost-double width fridge-freezers with a built in ice tray and so on but some companies just use it to refer to the double-door design on a normal width fridge which is dumb and they're doing it wrong. They're still expensive as hell though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TheDarkFlame posted:

Really it meams those stupid almost-double width fridge-freezers with a built in ice tray and so on but some companies just use it to refer to the double-door design on a normal width fridge which is dumb and they're doing it wrong. They're still expensive as hell though.

But again, when you say double width, you don't mean, like, double American width, yeah?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No just double the normal human width, so 1 American wide :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah.

"Fridge Freezers": http://ao.com/cooling/fridge-freezers
"American Fridge Freezers": http://ao.com/cooling/american-fridge-freezers

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

cakesmith handyman posted:

No just double the normal human width, so 1 American wide :v:

Thought so, I'm about to blow your mind with my audacity, this how how you double-wide Freedom, no scrubs

e: shrank the picture so you don't steal my wifi password

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 4, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"This is where the magic happens"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bad Munki posted:

Thought so, I'm about to blow your mind with my audacity, this how how you double-wide Freedom, no scrubs

The "double Dahmer".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Actually both sides are filled with leftover hot dogs and box mac & cheese

In my defense, that fridge/freezer came with the house and I wouldn't have even thought of such a thing otherwise. That being said, it is actually pretty sweet if you have the space. :getin:

My kitchen still sucks though. v:shobon:v

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

e: shrank the picture so you don't steal my wifi password
Finally, a fridge/freezer compatible with Costco shopping sprees.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
We're getting a freezer equivalent to the freezer half of That Monstrosity, but to be fair it's going down in the creepy side of the basement.

Pictured here: the wiring for the new outlet and light that my dad put in this weekend. (The junction box on the left originally was going to be attached to a metal stud but we decided to wall-mount it instead, hence the unused flanges.) I think we'll go with a upright deep freezer, since my wife otherwise wouldn't be able to reach everything.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cool murder room bro

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Furia posted:

Cool murder room bro
No murder room of mine would have ductwork and electrical within reach.

In reality it's not bad. The rest of the room has some decent overhead fluorescents, which I shut off to make the light blasting out of a BR40 LED that much starker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

My fridge is hidden (not my choice) and I hate it. The door is so heavy that I struggle to open it. One of the handles broke, no doubt from constant mechanical strain, and they're no longer making that line. Dumb.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Youth Decay posted:

Why would you do this?

Apparently there's a hidden freezer and fridge there and the cutting board is covering the four-burner cooktop, but still. Why would you get rid of all your real appliances and your pantry space? The kitchen before maybe needed updating but at least it was functional as a kitchen. :psyduck:

What's up with the bed hanging out back there? That kitchen is definitely old school in both layout and fixtures so I get wanting to open it up, but they really went overboard and it looks useless now.

Are there any other angles? I'm having trouble seeing how that's the same house haha

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
So that pillar is roughly where the fridge is in the first shot, right? Maybe they moved the sink a bit but they can't have taken it far, that back wall has to be the same wall the cuckoo clock. So from the first kitchen I guess you have a space to the left of you, presumably a living room or dining room or something. I can't tell if that is the start of another wall on the left there, but it's either all part of one room with a different random pillar, or it's a small hallway because that grandfather clock is up against the wall and not very far away. And then beyond that you've got another room unseen, out where the second window is in the all-white version of the house. Yeah, I can see it all being the same space.

You've got a bedroom at the back where that one big window is, a main room towards your left where the second one is, and you're in the kitchen but slightly to the left of where the first picture is taken from. The confusing thing is they've decided to take out every wall in the house and just leave one pillar. Presumably the photographer has decided on that angle to hide the open-air toilet hanging out behind them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheDarkFlame posted:

The confusing thing is they've decided to take out every wall in the house and just leave one pillar.

"Leave" is even generous, from the look of it that pillar wasn't there before so it's a new structural edition when they took out the walls. So why make it so large and so close to the kitchen?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaded Burnout posted:

"Leave" is even generous, from the look of it that pillar wasn't there before so it's a new structural edition when they took out the walls. So why make it so large and so close to the kitchen?

Exact same reason my parent's builders recoiled in horror I would imagine. That big hole (for a breakfast bar) in their kitchen went right through a load bearing wall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Exact same reason my parent's builders recoiled in horror I would imagine. That big hole (for a breakfast bar) in their kitchen went right through a load bearing wall.

I've managed to take out all the load bearing walls in the back of my house with no pillars, putting the weight on in-wall piers. I can see circumstances where you might need one anyway but surely not so big and in exactly that spot.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Pffft. Amateurs. Everyone knows load-bearing drywall is the way to go.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think it's the same pillar that's behind the fridge in the first shot, just the picture position is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think it's the same pillar that's behind the fridge in the first shot, just the picture position is different.

Yeah, it seems to be the same size as the pillar by the grandfather clock. But in the second picture that pillar seems to be as close to the sink as the fridge was in the first picture. So either they moved the pillar, or the moved the sink wall.
:psyduck: