Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rest assured that my newfound jobliness will not interrupt your regularly scheduled programming as my flight was delayed and thus I downloaded the Atari Jaguar programming manual

did you know the master 68K could, in future licensed designs, be replaced by an 8086 or Transputer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it also claims the Jaguar chipset supports VGA resolutions for use in workstation applications lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

die cisputer scum

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

akadajet posted:

die cisputer scum

boo hiss

anyway vbcc A) supports the jaguar risc cpus and B) includes the C library and the jaglib hardware/graphics library neat

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

akadajet posted:

die cisputer scum

goddam it now i want to change my name to "js cispiler" or something. i do really like my current name though

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
gently caress bouncy castle and their terrible documentation

oh good this method throws operatorcreationexception. what does that mean? what kind of errors does it relate to? gently caress knows because they haven't bothered to write a single word of documentation for the method or the exception type

starting to see why idiots roll their own crypto. it's probably easier than trying to figure out how to use the terrible undocumented "good" implementations properly

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

gonadic io posted:

goddam it now i want to change my name to "js cispiler" or something. i do really like my current name though

An autoformatter or obfuscater would qualify as a "cispiler", since it turns JS into JS.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Zemyla posted:

An autoformatter or obfuscater would qualify as a "cispiler", since it turns JS into JS.

please dont cisplain

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
or there's always "homo genius"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
bouncycastle status: got it working. turns out the solution was to use a different constructor to one class, which has nine constructors, none of which has a single word of documentation to say why you might choose it over any of the others. the only hint about the cause of this problem was a passing reference to constructors in the error string used for an undocumented exception thrown by a different undocumented class.

figuring this out would have been quicker if bouncycastle wasn't the only java library i have ever encountered that strips all debug information. (they provide a separate debuggable version of one part of the code. for the bit i'm using, they helpfully suggest building it yourself if you need to be able to step through it or see where exceptions were raised, which i'm pretty sure is the library equivalent of "go gently caress yourself".)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
anyone know any good lightweight java web frameworks? I'm mostly going to to be porting a legacy app who's primary purpose is providing services to other apps

I don't need an orm but I do have some service objects that I might want to keep singletons/pools of

I was thinking maybe like spring+jersey mixup; they have a spring project for bootstrapping web apps right? its been a while since I looked any of this stuff

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i know this is the dumbest thing in the world, but i always get really excited when i get to do load testing because i get to spin up a couple thousand instances and i get to see ~big numbers~

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
bouncy castle is a goddamn ridiculous name

lancemantis posted:

good lightweight java

is this one of those pick no more than 2 situations?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ynohtna posted:

bouncy castle is a goddamn ridiculous name

is this one of those pick no more than 2 situations?

more like a pick 1

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

lancemantis posted:

anyone know any good lightweight java web frameworks? I'm mostly going to to be porting a legacy app who's primary purpose is providing services to other apps

I don't need an orm but I do have some service objects that I might want to keep singletons/pools of

I was thinking maybe like spring+jersey mixup; they have a spring project for bootstrapping web apps right? its been a while since I looked any of this stuff

dropwizard

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

please dont cisplain

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

is there something besides Hadoop good for querying & aggregating data that’s not Big per se but can have tens of thousands of mostly sparse “columns” per row

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

AWWNAW posted:

is there something besides Hadoop good for querying & aggregating data that’s not Big per se but can have tens of thousands of mostly sparse “columns” per row

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_column-oriented_DBMSes

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

hmm yes thank you I know I’m looking for a columnar solution but was hoping for something slightly more substantial or personally recommended than fish mech diary but her I am posting on programmer web board

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

columns are just rows turned on their sides if u think about it

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

AWWNAW posted:

hmm yes thank you I know I’m looking for a columnar solution but was hoping for something slightly more substantial or personally recommended than fish mech diary but her I am posting on programmer web board

I've been a an Elasticsearch bender for the last year, it's started to grow on me and it's pretty cool

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

AWWNAW posted:

you could always use cassandra :troll:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

AWWNAW posted:

A lot of the times you don't need one, the performance is actually similar or worse than row based. KDB is the big one, MariaDB×TokuDB is a very good second choice.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lmao someone set up a whole dockerfile with all the atari jaguar dev tools preinstalled this owns

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

yeah this poo poo is why containers are good. i dont give a poo poo about containers in production, containers in dev are great.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

NihilCredo posted:

problem is, this json.net schema library has a weird license. in addition to regular commercial licenses, it's available under the scary AGPL for open sores projects, but limited into utter uselessness - max 10 schema generations / hour.

which confuses me. if it's under the AGPL, what's the point of adding a limitation like that? if I want to use it for an AGPL project, can't I just fork it from github and comment out the limiting code? (I checked, it's trivial)? I guess it could be considered a dick move towards the guy who maintains for free the single most popular .net library, but you're giving away your own work for free too so i'd say it's a wash. or is there some caveat under which it's a license violation to remove the limitation?

having to use even a completely trivial fork is probably sufficient to nudge a decent number of companies into paying for commercial licenses (most of which would probably otherwise be using it in ways that aren't actually allowed by the agpl, but they wouldn't realize it and the author wouldn't know, so...). one of the most important parts of making money off open source things is to give companies a reason to give you money. even if it's not a very good reason or something they could easily work around, at the minimum you need to give some sort of justification to the people who actively want to give you money.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey i'm presenting on all this mongo -> postgres stuff I've been doing. One of the questions I know I'll get is "why postgres instead of mysql." The answer to this is json support (since we're migrating from mongo this is really critical), but are there any articles I can read/link to on why postrgres is almost always better than mysql? I can't just say "everyone on yospos/the internet says so" but to be honest I don't know that much about databases.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hey i'm presenting on all this mongo -> postgres stuff I've been doing. One of the questions I know I'll get is "why postgres instead of mysql." The answer to this is json support (since we're migrating from mongo this is really critical), but are there any articles I can read/link to on why postrgres is almost always better than mysql? I can't just say "everyone on yospos/the internet says so" but to be honest I don't know that much about databases.

Well first, mysql has 2 big forks which makes it even harder to compare. I don't know how many shops are running stock mysql instead of the other forks, but they gained a lot of traction for a . Another reason that might not apply to you, but the license for the mysql jdbc driver can be a problem compared to postgres driver. Also mysql default settings can and will gently caress with your db, but frankly so does postgres and if you/your team aren't familiar with either than this is a wash. Postgres generally has a longer history of not loving things up so horribly like mysql has, it's seriously the php of databases.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

AWWNAW posted:

if you're on aws redshift and athena are maybe worth looking at. on gce bigquery might work

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

postgres is what people use to test other databases for correctness, namely sqlite

postgres has rich data types: jsonb, and a whole bunch of lovely indexes

and postgres has transactions to the point of transactional schema changes

previously:

postgres had to be vacuumed manually
autovaccum locked the poo poo out of the tables
mysql had a lot more in the way of replication and other tooling

this is less true now, specifically the first two: 9.3 onwards, and 10 especially are looking to be very nice for vacuuming (major locking improvements)

but the tooling for multi-primary replication is still way ahead

mysql is more like a very good b-tree with poor sql support and reasonable tooling

iirc, mysql does in-place update of values, meanwhile postgress is more mvcc, it keeps the old values around until not needed

so

for very high volume writes of often ephemeral data, mysql is a pretty good choice

but, postgres is just a much better default

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

tef posted:

postgres is what people use to test other databases for correctness, namely sqlite

postgres has rich data types: jsonb, and a whole bunch of lovely indexes

previously:

postgres had to be vacuumed manually
autovaccum locked the poo poo out of the tables
mysql had a lot more in the way of replication and other tooling

this is less true now, specifically the first two: 9.3 onwards, and 10 especially are looking to be very nice for vacuuming (major locking improvements)

but the tooling for multi-primary replication is still way ahead

mysql is more like a very good b-tree with poor sql support and reasonable tooling

iirc, mysql does in-place update of values, meanwhile postgress is more mvcc, it keeps the old values around until not needed

so

for very high volume writes of often ephemeral data, mysql is a pretty good choice

but, postgres is just a much better default

thank you tef, exactly what i needed

Janitor Prime posted:

Well first, mysql has 2 big forks which makes it even harder to compare. I don't know how many shops are running stock mysql instead of the other forks, but they gained a lot of traction for a . Another reason that might not apply to you, but the license for the mysql jdbc driver can be a problem compared to postgres driver. Also mysql default settings can and will gently caress with your db, but frankly so does postgres and if you/your team aren't familiar with either than this is a wash. Postgres generally has a longer history of not loving things up so horribly like mysql has, it's seriously the php of databases.

also thanks!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
just remember to use utf8_mb4 aka 'no i really mean utf-8' and also to turn off swedish collation by default, you should be fine with mysql

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

just remember to use utf8_mb4 aka 'no i really mean utf-8' and also to turn off swedish collation by default, you should be fine with mysql

See what I mean about the stupid poo poo mysql does

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've had this hn thread in my bookmarks for almost a year, it's chock full of good stuff that helped me when I had to make the same choice. the two main articles:

https://renesd.blogspot.it/2017/02/is-postgresql-good-enough.html

http://www.brightball.com/articles/why-should-you-learn-postgresql

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Janitor Prime posted:

See what I mean about the stupid poo poo mysql does

see also how you can't have two columns with type "timestamp default now" in a table: http://gusiev.com/2009/04/update-and-create-timestamps-with-mysql/

this is still a current problem by the way, at least in the version we use at work

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

tef posted:

holy loving pissball, this

if you're dealing with any sort of data that has real and direct consequences on your business, the sort of thing where the thought of your db making GBS threads itself causes the higher up's balls to shrivel, then this is something you want

you don't want to start some multi-step multi-hour schema change on your prod db and then find out on the last step that you've got a bad case of "error 42069: LOL gently caress YOU" and then be stuck in some integrity netherworld

you're already asking your db to provide you with atomicity guarantees, so it's probably important to you, then why the hell would you not want the same thing for schema changes of all things if you've got the option?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

has mysql stopped silently truncating text that did not fit the input type?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tef posted:

swedish collation by default

MononcQc posted:

lmao

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

MononcQc posted:

LMAO no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

tef posted:

swedish collation by default

feature, not bug

• Locked thread