Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Motto posted:

So many devs involved with MS have had some weird issue or another so I can believe it.
there was also the story about the phantom dust sequel where it started out as a super low budget multiplayer only game and some MS dude got on a podcast and talked a lot of poo poo about how it was gonna have a 40 hour JRPG story mode and unilaterally changed the scope of the project without increasing the budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

homeless snail posted:

I feel bad for the cuphead guys, cause they ended up delaying their game by two years, remortgaged their houses, and totally compromised the design of their game because dummies had a negative reaction when they revealed it was a boss rush thing

if they had just released it 2 years ago it would have been good + they wouldn't have ruined their lives

It's not their fault at all. MS are payrolling the game and they demanded it should be fleshed out once they realized that their platform has no actual decent exclusive full games so an oddball indie thing wasn't that much of a get.

The devs wanted to make a boss rush game with a cool artstyle but now they are making a lovely generic platform game that will be forgotten about in a week.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its like they looked at every 3rd party nes platformer and saw the constant enemy spam and thought they found an idea whose time had come again

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

codenameFANGIO posted:

It takes him a full loving minute and a half to jump on the box then jump and air dash over the cylinder. Like goddamn.

It's like the platforming equivalent of the polygon dude playing his first fps

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I saw a video of a neural network or something learning super mario world by dying at every obstacle a million times, maybe it's like that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

there was also the story about the phantom dust sequel where it started out as a super low budget multiplayer only game and some MS dude got on a podcast and talked a lot of poo poo about how it was gonna have a 40 hour JRPG story mode and unilaterally changed the scope of the project without increasing the budget

it feels like it was just yesterday that scalebound was announced, showed a really weird gameplay demo that was an unplayable mash of five different games and then got canned, nearly killing platinum if nier hadn't been insanely popular

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/deantak/status/904397883272708096

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Extremely shameful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least now when I've died a million times on a boss that I've been told is actually very easy I can look at that tweet and not feel so bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

At least now when I've died a million times on a boss that I've been told is actually very easy I can look at that tweet and not feel so bad.

He chose to sacrifice his reputation as a games journalist to provide us all this important service and hell, I'm thankful.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

He chose to sacrifice his reputation as a games journalist to provide us all this important service and hell, I'm thankful.
he did that 10 years ago actually when he reviewed mass effect 1 and said the game was too hard and sucked, until everyone pointed out that he didn't spend any of his skill points

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

he did that 10 years ago actually when he reviewed mass effect 1 and said the game was too hard and sucked, until everyone pointed out that he didn't spend any of his skill points

lmao

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Hey the game only said he had skill points, didn't say anything about using em

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

homeless snail posted:

no loving way

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

no loving way
Mass Defect: Why Mass Effect falls short of its hype

It delivered on the first, but not on the second. While the conversational system and facial animation is perhaps the best I’ve ever seen in a video game, the game play is maddeningly flawed. Call it Mass Defect.
But here’s where it breaks down. The tactical play is horrendous. That wasn’t so evident on the early Eden Prime level, but once you’re off in the missions to other planets, it becomes overwhelmingly bad. You feel like you’re fighting with extremely incapable soldiers.
Maybe this game is just my Vietnam War of video games. I’m stuck in the middle. And I don’t think I’ll ever get out. It has beaten me. And you? If you’re into good game play as much as I am, you should forget about this one.

Update:
When so many readers wrote in to tell me that I messed up my review of Mass Effect, I had to take a second look. It turns out, you were right. I was wrong. I owe an apology to you for writing a bad review. I also apologize to BioWare, which made a better game than I thought, and gulp, to Microsoft. The game play is not as flawed as I thought.
The dumb thing about the way I played the game, as many pointed out, is that I didn't make use of my Talent Points. I started the game doing so, but while on Feros, I didn't pay attention to all the Talent Points I was accumulating after every encounter. Those points just sat there. They were waiting for me to assign them to specific character trait improvements...A lot of positive effects flowed from this expanded repertoire in game play.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK, I take back the part about not ragging on him, the unspoken second part to that is "unless you blame the game for your being a dumbass"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol at calling anything your Personal Video Game Vietnam

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Not attacking, genuinely interested, what the hell is wrong with this guy lol.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Maybe this game is just My Own Private Idaho, idk.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I rate all videogames based on one single criterion: whether or not gnawing on the controller gives me any painful plastic splinters in my mouth

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whom else is looking forward to Divinity Original Sin 2: Sin Harder. I'm gonna play a lizard wizard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

exquisite tea posted:

Whom else is looking forward to Divinity Original Sin 2: Sin Harder. I'm gonna play a lizard wizard.
What's the word so far, is it good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm trying to think of a game that I gave up on because I couldn't beat it to call my Vietnam but I'm struggling, the only thing that comes to mind is some samurai western thing I played on PS2 that I got to one of the later bosses and just had no idea how you were supposed to beat him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm a good boy and do not sin.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm trying to think of a game that I gave up on because I couldn't beat it to call my Vietnam but I'm struggling, the only thing that comes to mind is some samurai western thing I played on PS2 that I got to one of the later bosses and just had no idea how you were supposed to beat him.
my Video Vietnam is Orphen: Scion of Sorcery, on the PS2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For some reason role playing two separate characters felt weird to me in the original, uh, Original Sin. Obviously I didn't have anyone to co op with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Early access peeps seem very hype on it so far and the amount of depth to the character customization looks unreal. I watched a preview of some dude playing a character that made blood puddles appear everywhere, then another character in the party would zap the blood puddles and electrocute enemies who were standing in it. And that was just one kooky example of the interactivity in combat.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Man don't use the phrase "Tingleverse", now I want a Cinematic Tingleverse.

Samuel L Jackson appears from the shadows in a Tingle outfit with an eye patch to talk to you about the "Tingle Initiative".

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sakurazuka posted:

Alien: Isolation, I guess. I gave up in Medical which seemed like the first area the game let the xenomorph loose on. No matter how carefully I moved the alien was always up my rear end in a top hat. It felt pretty joyless but I might be bad at video games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Alien: Isolation, I guess. I gave up in Medical which seemed like the first area the game let the xenomorph loose on. No matter how carefully I moved the alien was always up my rear end in a top hat. It felt pretty joyless but I might be bad at video games.

The alien cheats in medical. Turn down the difficulty for that section and turn it back up once you leave.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

That's one game that I think really could have benefited from an auto-difficulty setting because when you die too many times it ironically snaps you out of the tension and ceases to be scary.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Probably, but at least you can take solace that you weren't as bad as Cuphead/Mass Effect guy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Having just finished it last week that was probably the worst part of the game. It's still a pain in the rear end sometimes but once you get the flamethrower it's a lot more manageable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, calling that his video game Vietnam was rather apropos, considering it was a debacle based on a complete misunderstanding of the situation on the ground due to willful blindness and made him look arrogant and foolish in the eyes of the world

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

homeless snail posted:

Orphen: Scion of Sorcery, on the PS2

Now THERES a bad game i hadnt thought about in years.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Now THERES a bad game i hadnt thought about in years.
it was really bad, and came out in an unfortunate time in my life where I would go to blockbuster to 1) rent any PS2 game with an anime character on the cover and 2) ask if they had macrosses 3-6 in stock

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
even though i bought Legacy of the Void, i haven't even finished the Zerg missions

the story is maybe the dumbest story in a video game ever. not even kidding. it really is. and apparently it gets even stupider in Legacy of the Void

good thing nobody ever played SC for the story

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got Yakuza Kiwami for my birthday and I wanted to hug it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

hahaha jfc

• Locked thread