Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Spiteski posted:

Yea, being able to just go and play and straight up DM without paying anything is nice, but I was under the impression that you had to have API access to unlock most of the "functionality" that R20 offers? Happy to be corrected though

I guess it depends on what functionality you mean? The API lets you write/input your own scripts afaik, but you don't need that functionality for, say, dynamic lighting, or writing basic custom abilities to a character sheet. Granted this depends on you using roll20 to play a game that has a very good character sheet, and 5E has a few options which seem quite good (the 4E DnD doesn't seem as well-done to me at first glance). The 5E OGL Shaped Sheet is my personal favorite if just because of how flexible it is, but that's mostly due to me being experienced in making it do what I want. At first glance it may seem overwhelming.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What Roll20 is missing is auto-population of spell information. It's all there if you search the compendium, but you have to retype it into your character sheet. It would require some data entry, but not that much and drat would it be nice.

Their character sheet for 5e should be like orcpub/MPMB. There's really no excuse.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

What Roll20 is missing is auto-population of spell information. It's all there if you search the compendium, but you have to retype it into your character sheet. It would require some data entry, but not that much and drat would it be nice.

Their character sheet for 5e should be like orcpub/MPMB. There's really no excuse.

I don't have this problem. Drag-and-drop has worked for the paladin spells I've used it for that are actually in the SRD.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Where do you drag from?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Where do you drag from?

The compendium? I use the search function to find the spell I want and then just drag it into my spell list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well goddamn.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I do know the sheet is updated constantly so maybe it wasn't working at one point, wouldn't surprise me at all.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I do know the sheet is updated constantly so maybe it wasn't working at one point, wouldn't surprise me at all.

I gave that sheet a try and the big issue i've been having is whenever I add a second class or second level to the class/levels modification it seems to freak out and add 3 extra rows and im not exactly sure why. This then loads up a tonne of abilities a class shouldnt have at that level. Ironically I'm probably going to just use it to make monsters than run on that table.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

kingcom posted:

I gave that sheet a try and the big issue i've been having is whenever I add a second class or second level to the class/levels modification it seems to freak out and add 3 extra rows and im not exactly sure why. This then loads up a tonne of abilities a class shouldnt have at that level. Ironically I'm probably going to just use it to make monsters than run on that table.

That's a very recent bug and it's really weird and it's supposed to be fixed when they push an update Tuesday/Wednesday. I was able to fix it myself by going to Attributes and Abilities and finding all references to those levels and deleting them. The major annoying thing about having a sheet like this is that the owner seems to introduce new bugs into it every now and then and it bugs out temporarily.

There's a simpler 5E OGL Sheet that has less features but is less buggy.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

That's a very recent bug and it's really weird and it's supposed to be fixed when they push an update Tuesday/Wednesday. I was able to fix it myself by going to Attributes and Abilities and finding all references to those levels and deleting them. The major annoying thing about having a sheet like this is that the owner seems to introduce new bugs into it every now and then and it bugs out temporarily.

There's a simpler 5E OGL Sheet that has less features but is less buggy.

I'm liking the 5th Edition (Community Contributed) one the most at the moment to be honest for look/feel and easily implementing my house rules into without worrying about stuff. I'm thankfully got a minimal number of full casters in the group so the big workload of spell management isn't going to be that big.

EDIT: I literally just went and testing it and it works in that sheet too. Which I swear it wasn't working earlier so idk. Maybe I am the idiot too!

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 4, 2017

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I like all the tables and things in the DMG and have been trying to roll for stuff more to shake things up, but got kind of tired flipping around between tables so I automated them.

This is for the random dungeon tables (not 100% complete, but usable): https://www.kassoon.com/dnd/5e/dungeon-generator/

This is for wandering monsters, which wasn't technically a table but their list of monsters by environment made a pretty good balance of high/low encounters. That's here: https://www.kassoon.com/dnd/5e/random-monsters/

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'm working on a one-off convention game that's essentially Grey Gardens in D&D. The players are sent to see what's up with a powerful wizard, they find her house in a shambles, and it quickly turns into part horror movie part episode of Hoarders. The rooms are all Difficult Terrain, and when players are in the house they have to keep making relatively easy CON saves or get a level of Exhaustion, there are rooms where DEX saves are required to avoid toppling piles of garbage, etc., but I want to make each room a little more engaging. Does anyone know of any random roll tables for junk or garbage instead of treasure I could use to populate the rooms? Oh, also, aside from things like Otyughs, Dust Mephits, giant vermin, molds/slimes/oozes, and the like, anyone have any recommendations for good trash monsters?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Huh, I didn't even think of that one. Good call.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
We're about half way through Tiamat and most of the party is level 12 or so now. But I'm noticing that enemies are hitting stupidly hard and now all that matters is AC. I've retired my Warlock (who was pact of blade) because I couldn't really find a way to increase his armour to a level where he isn't dying all the time.

Is this how they're expecting it to work? I'm now a monk who dodges every time and has an AC of 18. There's only 3 of us so it can be hard going anyway sometimes but until now we've coped with things relatively easily. Do the encounters need to be toned down FAR more?

Our party is a Barbarian, my Monk and a Sorcerer now. I just can't imagine how you'd do ANYTHING without the barbarian taking half damage from all sources. That fight in Tiamat where two half dragons, a bunch of cultists and two Young Dragons come at you was absolutely impossible for example!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Taear posted:

Is this how they're expecting it to work?... There's only 3 of us so it can be hard going anyway.

I'm going to assume this is not how they're expecting it to work. I haven't played Rise of Tiamat, but I'd expect that they expect 5 or 6 players. If you only have 3 and there aren't any adjustments, each individual PC is going to take more attacks than intended.

edit: I'm not missing something obvious, am I?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am keen but can't pm
Spending $10 on this dying forum to save $43 dollars on digital mans seems like a good return on investment, and it looks like Lowtax needs the money.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Invest $10 in this dying forum to save $43 dollars. Seems like Lowtax needs the money.

I bought the grenade shirt. I'm so sorry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought the grenade shirt. I'm so sorry.
Looks like I fail forwarded my ninja edit :(

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm going to assume this is not how they're expecting it to work. I haven't played Rise of Tiamat, but I'd expect that they expect 5 or 6 players. If you only have 3 and there aren't any adjustments, each individual PC is going to take more attacks than intended.

Pretty sure Hoard/Rise is designed for 4 players.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Look 5e is advanced enough it doesn't need balance.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Arivia posted:

Look 5e is advanced enough it doesn't need balance.

Literally had this said to me when I suggested 4e to someone who wanted 5e to have more combat options and tactics based combat. They said they prefer the balancing of classes in 5e compared to 4e.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Your problem is that a) you have way fewer members then you should, but also, b) bladelocks are very, very bad, and fundamentally do not work unless you do something like start as fighter and them multiclass immediately into warlock.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Monks are lackluster and sorcerers are really easy to screw up. And his party doesn't have healing? Yeah, good luck, RoT is kinda hard even for a balanced party.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What is it about bladelocks that makes you want to start fighter then go warlock versus starting warlock and splashing fighter?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Because multiclassing into fighter doesn't get you heavy armour proficiency, is my guess.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ah, I take it that's big enough a deal, then? What are the other reasons bladelocks are bad?

grim`
May 6, 2004

there's no lies to the game of eyes

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Sounds like somebody needs some hirelings.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Trebuchet King posted:

Ah, I take it that's big enough a deal, then? What are the other reasons bladelocks are bad?

They work well enough if you also take Hexblade pact from UA.

Otherwise, as mentioned, they're lacking in armor proficiency. Unless you build in a pretty specific way you're also not going to do as much damage with your weapon as you would just blasting at range - your weapon will instead be a backup for if something does close in with you and you don't want to risk an opportunity attack by moving away or disadvantage by firing when in melee.

A lot of the fun warlock spells (including Hex, your early level damage booster) requires Concentration. Innately warlocks aren't proficient in Con saves (unlike fighters, who are!) and so if you're in a melee and get whacked then you probably lose the spell. You'll end up spending a feat to get either War Caster or Resilient (Con).

So yeah bladelock works and I've played one to about the same level you have, but it's best starting as Fighter1 and then immediately multiclassing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Trebuchet King posted:

What is it about bladelocks that makes you want to start fighter then go warlock versus starting warlock and splashing fighter?

Starting Fighter gives you Constitution saves and Heavy Armor proficiency and better HP.

What Pact of the Blade does is give a warlock melee capability, and pays a significant cost for it (going from single to multiple ability score dependency, an invocation at lvl 5 and then another at 12, opportunity cost with the other pacts), so in order to justify itself it must be a better option than just using Eldritch Blast from range, since that is perfectly capable of dishing out respectable damage and from relative safety. Hell, you can be "melee" and still use Eldritch Blast as your main attack.

This translates into Bladelocks having very narrow build paths in which it's worthwhile using melee instead of Eldritch Blast in terms of sheer damage, and those invariably involve dipping into either Fighter or Paladin. They also have weak defenses - another reason to dip into the aforementioned to shore up their armor proficiency + extras (going STR, heavy armor proficiency is a no-brainer, and even with a DEX build you'd want shield proficiency). And after all this is accounted for, you still have to make the normal analysis about whether a character fits in a particular lineup - is your group predominantly long rest or short rest based? How generous is the DM with short rests? Do you need a frontliner? How are you doing with utility? Etc.

All that said, they work. They can work. Plenty of neat things you can do. Armor of Agathys is good. Heavy Armor Master + Blade Ward + Armor of Agathys is stupid. Fiendish Vigor helps a ton early on with that ablative HP. Fiend patron is just excellent for a frontline combatant. Greatsword with Great Weapon Fighter FS and you're doing more damage than Eldritch Blast, so you're golden there. And you still get Warlock casting for versatility/utility so you aren't merely a worse big dumb fighter.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Basically, the bladelock is awful because the actual core class - the warlock - is designed to have as little reason as possible to ever be close to the action, ever. It wants to stay far the gently caress away and blast every round.

They changed...loving none of that for the bladelock. So the bladelock is still on the warlock chasis in which you want to stay far the gently caress away from enemies and blast them every round. Except you also have a kinda lovely sword you can summon I guess????? That still does less damage then your blast, naturally.

A level in fighter fixes...some problems. You get better Con saves and heavy armor so you can actually be on the frontlines, and you want to use strength alongside GWM and Polearm Master so you have an actual reason to be up front in the first place.

Bladelock is terrible and is also probably the best example of 5e design I can think of, because the reason it's terrible is because the devs were too stupid and too lazy to notice very obvious and glaring problems and fix them. In fact, their refusal to fix the problems is why the "hexblade" patron even exists in the first place, and it's so obvious that it stands out hard.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Argh, okay. I was unable to convince my group to go with 4th edition, so I'll be running 5th for the first time in a week and a half. My first encounter that I have planned is the same one I ran in an aborted PbP game here on SA a few years ago (I apparently suck at PbP, and I'm sorry). I've also run it for a different group (in person) to resounding success, lots of fun and excitement by all. Got rave reviews.

In summary, they need to fight two wyrmling dragons on a set of three ships while a ginormous ancient red dragon causes... hazardous terrain. They can drive the ancient red off by using ballistae mounted on the ships, but the ballistae are difficult to use single handedly and the crew never bothered to train on them, leaving it to the party to make their skill checks while also handling everything else. It's a great big bloody chaotic mess that kicks off the story with a bang, and...

I have no idea how to run it in 5th edition instead of 4th. In 4th, the ancient dragon didn't even have a monster stat block, it was written solely as a skill challenge with various attacks akin to traps that could be avoided with acrobatics checks and the like. In 4th edition, level 1 players can survive doing all this while ALSO fighting two wyrmling dragons, who, as elites at that level, put up a significant challenge of a fight in their own rights. But in 5th edition... my understanding is that level 1 characters are FAR more squishy.

Will I have to nix 1 or both of the wyrmlings to make this fair in 5th edition? I'm certainly keeping the ancient dragon-as-skill-challenge part, but I have no intuitive feel for how to keep combat fair in 5th edition yet, and I could really use advice. I'd like the skill challenge to include SOME sort of combat, but what is fair? What is SURVIVABLE given the chaos the ancient dragon skill challenge will bring? This encounter should be extremely difficult, but also POSSIBLE, and I don't know where that line is.

Help?

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm new, playing a Rogue on LMOP and having a bit of trouble understanding my abilities.

Am I to take it that I always get to use Sneak Attack on every round of combat, even if I'm in full view of the enemy?

Last session I agreed with the DM (who is also new) that I would use Cunning Action to disengage after each hit (behind a nearby obstacle), so I could feasibly use Sneak Attack again the next round. Is this necessary, and should I assume that in a wide open space I can't rely on this?

Also, I've tried countless times to use Thieve's Cant to discover danger, or try and get in touch with thieves in Phandalin but had no luck. Is it my understanding that its up to the DM who can and can't understand Thieve's Cant?

If you have any other beginner tips for Rogue's, I'd love to hear them!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Iunnrais posted:

Will I have to nix 1 or both of the wyrmlings to make this fair in 5th edition?

You want to sic two CR 4 enemies (capable of dealing an average of 12 damage per attack) against a level 1 party (who each have an average of about 10 HP to start with), AND throw deadly skill challenges into the mix. That would be a thrilling two rounds of combat before inevitable TPK.

Look at the challenge ratings, imperfect as they are. Think about how much damage an enemy could do vs. how little a level 1 adventurer could absorb. Give this a look.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The DPRK posted:

I'm new, playing a Rogue on LMOP and having a bit of trouble understanding my abilities.

Am I to take it that I always get to use Sneak Attack on every round of combat, even if I'm in full view of the enemy?

Last session I agreed with the DM (who is also new) that I would use Cunning Action to disengage after each hit (behind a nearby obstacle), so I could feasibly use Sneak Attack again the next round. Is this necessary, and should I assume that in a wide open space I can't rely on this?

"Full view" has nothing to do with Sneak Attack. If you're using a ranged or finesse weapon, you can Sneak Attack whenever you have Advantage or an ally adjacent to your target. You can't do it if you have Disadvantage.

PHB page 96:
"Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon .
You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll."

Better to think of Sneak Attack as "extra damage if the enemy is distracted or unaware", rather than some kind of stealth-specific technique. It's in the first sentence of the description: "...you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction".

The DPRK posted:

Also, I've tried countless times to use Thieve's Cant to discover danger, or try and get in touch with thieves in Phandalin but had no luck. Is it my understanding that its up to the DM who can and can't understand Thieve's Cant?

Yep, this one's "ask your DM".

Ideally, your DM would pick up that you're trying to use a particular ability and include some stuff to do with it. You're both new, so mention it to them between sessions - something like "hey, I thought this would be cool and useful and it kinda sucks that so far it's done nothing, can you include some stuff to do with it?"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 5, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Iunnrais posted:

Argh, okay. I was unable to convince my group to go with 4th edition, so I'll be running 5th for the first time in a week and a half. My first encounter that I have planned is the same one I ran in an aborted PbP game here on SA a few years ago (I apparently suck at PbP, and I'm sorry). I've also run it for a different group (in person) to resounding success, lots of fun and excitement by all. Got rave reviews.

In summary, they need to fight two wyrmling dragons on a set of three ships while a ginormous ancient red dragon causes... hazardous terrain. They can drive the ancient red off by using ballistae mounted on the ships, but the ballistae are difficult to use single handedly and the crew never bothered to train on them, leaving it to the party to make their skill checks while also handling everything else. It's a great big bloody chaotic mess that kicks off the story with a bang, and...

I have no idea how to run it in 5th edition instead of 4th. In 4th, the ancient dragon didn't even have a monster stat block, it was written solely as a skill challenge with various attacks akin to traps that could be avoided with acrobatics checks and the like. In 4th edition, level 1 players can survive doing all this while ALSO fighting two wyrmling dragons, who, as elites at that level, put up a significant challenge of a fight in their own rights. But in 5th edition... my understanding is that level 1 characters are FAR more squishy.

Will I have to nix 1 or both of the wyrmlings to make this fair in 5th edition? I'm certainly keeping the ancient dragon-as-skill-challenge part, but I have no intuitive feel for how to keep combat fair in 5th edition yet, and I could really use advice. I'd like the skill challenge to include SOME sort of combat, but what is fair? What is SURVIVABLE given the chaos the ancient dragon skill challenge will bring? This encounter should be extremely difficult, but also POSSIBLE, and I don't know where that line is.

Help?
5E is incredibly swingy compared to 4E. Keep in mind that RAW many of your starting characters will have single digit HP. Average wyvern claw/bite damage will KO most starting characters, and the tail will instantly kill them on a successful save. At +7 to hit on each that's at least a character down a round. Meanwhile at 110hp and AC 13 your wyvern is going to take about 15 optimised ranged character attacks to kill. Or it gets Tasha'd in the first round and drowns.

My advice:* tell them about the cool wyvern and dragon they're watching from the shore, then say "But anyway we're playing 5E. Let's go kill some goblins."

*don't actually take this advice

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Iunnrais posted:

Help?

How new are your players? I would only do level 1 characters with brand new players who need to get used to the game before picking subclasses and whatever. If your group knows how D&D works in general, just start at level 4.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

"Full view" has nothing to do with Sneak Attack. If you're using a ranged or finesse weapon, you can Sneak Attack whenever you have Advantage or an ally adjacent to your target. You can't do it if you have Disadvantage.

PHB page 96:
"Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon .
You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll."

Better to think of Sneak Attack as "extra damage if the enemy is distracted or unaware", rather than some kind of stealth-specific technique. It's in the first sentence of the description: "...you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction".

Yep, this one's "ask your DM".

Ideally, your DM would pick up that you're trying to use a particular ability and include some stuff to do with it. You're both new, so mention it to them between sessions - something like "hey, I thought this would be cool and useful and it kinda sucks that so far it's done nothing, can you include some stuff to do with it?"

Ah right, that's really helpful thanks!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The DPRK posted:

Ah right, that's really helpful thanks!

No problem, it's not an uncommon mistake.

There seems to be some kind of collective-unconscious / tribal memory thing where people who just started playing D&D somehow remember how Backstab worked in the 80s and then paste that memory over the rules for Sneak Attack. This has been going on for nearly 20 years and I don't think it will ever go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

How new are your players? I would only do level 1 characters with brand new players who need to get used to the game before picking subclasses and whatever. If your group knows how D&D works in general, just start at level 4.

I have 1 D&D vet with extensive 5th edition experience, 1 Call of Cthulhu player who has never touched D&D before, and 2 role playing newbies. A big reason for the players asking for 5th over 4th edition was for the new players not to get overwhelmed with lots of abilities and choices. So level 1 is kinda assumed.

Splicer posted:

5E is incredibly swingy compared to 4E. Keep in mind that RAW many of your starting characters will have single digit HP. Average wyvern claw/bite damage will KO most starting characters, and the tail will instantly kill them on a successful save. At +7 to hit on each that's at least a character down a round. Meanwhile at 110hp and AC 13 your wyvern is going to take about 15 optimised ranged character attacks to kill. Or it gets Tasha'd in the first round and drowns.

My advice:* tell them about the cool wyvern and dragon they're watching from the shore, then say "But anyway we're playing 5E. Let's go kill some goblins."

*don't actually take this advice

Hm. Would a single CR2 be too much at 1st level, along side a deadly-looking (but failures are basically only story failures, NPC deaths and plot setbacks, not PC death) skill challenge? I found stats for a Brown Dragon Wyrmling listed at CR2... AC16, 39 HP, +5 to hit, 1d10+3 damage... only thing that scares me would be the 4d8 breath weapon, but I could always drop that down to something more reasonable. Maybe even set the dragon's bite to 1d6+3, make the breath weapon do 1d10+3 and create a persisting zone of obscuring dust (blocks all line of sight but can be moved through freely).

I could then have the other dragon only there for story reasons, be described but basically out of reach of the entire party the whole time.