Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Just started playing again on the blue server. Wilan, level 10 wizard. Do goons still play/have a guild?

Edit - After wandering around the past few pages, it would appear I should seek out the kittens guild for a decent leveling guild? I don't plan on playing this too often, I just remembered I had a level 10 character and reinstalled. I'm mainly just looking to be able to snag a group here and there when I log in or some help. Eventually I want to get up to quad kiting again, I remember enjoying that.

Toxx fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fyodorovich posted:

I'm not in the guild yet, currently camped in west karana casually hunting one of the bandit camps and killing rabid grizzlies as they path by. Sort of meandering towards Freeport to catch a boat. A port to BB would be pretty amazing, but I probably won't be on until later in the week.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone, I'll probably hit the sisters for a level or two then head to CB or Unrest for some grouping action. I've been pretty casually soloing for an hour or two as I have time, mostly because of odd play hours. I agree that grouping is way more fun, it was just too easy to solo green gnolls in Blackburrow for fangs and level at a nice clip.

Manage your expectations with those lfay sisters, because they are pretty much 100% permacamped these days in my experience. The more popular grouping locations like Unrest are also a nightmare of overcrowdedness and petty squabbling, tbh. I find that grouping in slightly less populous areas like oasis or HHK is about a million times more pleasant, and oasis in particular gives you plenty of opportunity to solo if no groups are biting.

Ideally you end up meeting enough people that you can get groups together for less-travelled dungeons like SolA/SolB, guk, crystal caverns, kedge, ToFS, etc. Avoid the typical Unrest->MM->CoM->KC path imo.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Pilsner posted:

While I love exploring in EQ these days, where my character is a feign-deathing power house, I always felt EQ discouraged exploring for most classes, since death was so brutal and harsh. Even as a Rogue back in the day, with Sneak/Hide, I stayed so much on the safe paths, because I know how weak I was if I was caught off guard, and even with Jboots or SoW, it was extremely dangerous to walk in unknown territory. Even at lvl 60, with raid gear, I could only barely solo a lvl 50 mob, and two at once? Run for the hills.

Looking back, I can't believe how few places I went in EQ while /playing 200 days over the span of 2 years, but I took revenge and have checked out almost every place in the past 8 years after re-joining. :)

Oh I completely agree. EQ exploration is rough if you're not the right level or class/race combo. Still love(d) it though. I also barely saw anything, relatively speaking. I just saw Guk and Velious for the very first time recently.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Totally what made the world seem so big and fearsome--everyone probably remembers the first time they took the dangerous journey across the continent from Qeynos to Freeport on foot--dodging griffins and giants, hoping you didn't get mixed up and end up in the wrong zone, /conning every NPC to make sure you weren't going to get attacked partway through. I think there was still some of that in Kunark, where you could get a teleport to the safe area of the Dreadforest or whatever, but then you had to cross that awful zone with the spellcasting spider people. I remember getting a SOW and a levitate and praying I was going in the right direction, because if I ended up landing I would be so, so hosed.

I'd love some kind of server where your character is just in God Mode and you can explore the zones--like you said, even if you're max level and have sick equipment, it's still super dangerous to try exploring on your own.

There were programs to do this back in 2001/2002 so I'm sure something exists now. One of which hilariously used the tutorial .exe which is why they ended up removing it, iirc.

edit: I think there's even some weird server you can join to populate a group with bots to play with you. It'd be cool if it didn't sound so sad.

Vargs posted:

Manage your expectations with those lfay sisters, because they are pretty much 100% permacamped these days in my experience. The more popular grouping locations like Unrest are also a nightmare of overcrowdedness and petty squabbling, tbh. I find that grouping in slightly less populous areas like oasis or HHK is about a million times more pleasant, and oasis in particular gives you plenty of opportunity to solo if no groups are biting.

Ideally you end up meeting enough people that you can get groups together for less-travelled dungeons like SolA/SolB, guk, crystal caverns, kedge, ToFS, etc. Avoid the typical Unrest->MM->CoM->KC path imo.

Even if you do manage to grab the Sisters camp there's a near 100% chance some other lowbie character will wander up and try to steal it or just be annoying as gently caress and hope you leave.

I'm trying to level up a cleric at the moment. Level 16 right now. Is there anywhere other than Unrest and Oasis that have groups? Unrest is cool but has big issues, like you said, and I find Oasis to be mind numbingly boring.

I really wish this server had more of a lowbie population but I guess it's my fault for waiting 8 years.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toxx posted:

Just started playing again on the blue server. Wilan, level 10 wizard. Do goons still play/have a guild?

Edit - After wandering around the past few pages, it would appear I should seek out the kittens guild for a decent leveling guild? I don't plan on playing this too often, I just remembered I had a level 10 character and reinstalled. I'm mainly just looking to be able to snag a group here and there when I log in or some help. Eventually I want to get up to quad kiting again, I remember enjoying that.

Wizard is a bad class but good luck.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'd love some kind of server where your character is just in God Mode and you can explore the zones--like you said, even if you're max level and have sick equipment, it's still super dangerous to try exploring on your own.

Some of the random zero/low population servers on the server list have GM commands enabled for everyone. When I'm in the mood for dicking around in GM mode it's usually not too hard to find one just by logging in to a few different ones real quick. Easier than setting up my own server again, anyway.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Wizard is a bad class but good luck.

Is there a reason they're bad on this server/progression compared to how they were back in the original? I'm thinking of rolling a bard, but to be honest I just feel like dicking around in norrath.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toxx posted:

Is there a reason they're bad on this server/progression compared to how they were back in the original? I'm thinking of rolling a bard, but to be honest I just feel like dicking around in norrath.

Nah, I just think even in classic that warrior and wizard were the worst classes in the entire game by a mile.

Wizard becomes extremely good at max level and is basically mandatory for serious raiding, but it is a miserable grind until then. Parties don't want you so you're just stuck solo grinding for loving years. Its awful.
For me EQ is more about the journey than the destination, poo poo, I've never been max level in classic or on 1999. So playing a class that doesn't become fun until max level is just ... ugh. But if you live to raid then do your thing.

Bards are A Good Class. You can solo very effectively and also are very useful in groups, so you can have lots of fun and variety while you level up.

I would consider the fun classes to be (in no particular order) Necromancer, Enchanter, Magician, Druid, Shaman, Bard

Okay classes: Monk, Shadowknight, Ranger, Paladin, Cleric, Rogue

Bad classes: Warrior, Wizard

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Thanks for the feedback. I had a 58 Wizard and sold the account around luclin time. I have no visions of getting that high on p99, so perhaps I'll stick with the Bard for now.

Anyone have any advice for outfitting this guy? I have an Oracle Robe on my wizard and around 30pp. I have no idea how far that'll get me to not being a complete sissy.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Toxx posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I had a 58 Wizard and sold the account around luclin time. I have no visions of getting that high on p99, so perhaps I'll stick with the Bard for now.

Anyone have any advice for outfitting this guy? I have an Oracle Robe on my wizard and around 30pp. I have no idea how far that'll get me to not being a complete sissy.

Post your bard's name on blue and I'll get you in some banded at the very least. Have a couple weapons in EC you can have to get you started.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Aeoxx is the name. I'm in Gfay right now, but I'll attempt to get over to EC. I feel like having access to the tunnel for an occasional sow would be helpful.

Edit - Actually I think I'm going to delete and start over in freeport, considering that's where my wizard is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Toxx posted:

For swarm soloing - which was easy on red and I assume much more of a pain on blue - you need practically nothing, other than maybe https://wiki.project1999.com/Mistmoore_Battle_Drums for sheer convenience. It's definitely a friendly class for those without a lot of gear early on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toxx posted:

Aeoxx is the name. I'm in Gfay right now, but I'll attempt to get over to EC. I feel like having access to the tunnel for an occasional sow would be helpful.

Edit - Actually I think I'm going to delete and start over in freeport, considering that's where my wizard is.

I can port you

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fyodorovich posted:

I'm not in the guild yet, currently camped in west karana casually hunting one of the bandit camps and killing rabid grizzlies as they path by. Sort of meandering towards Freeport to catch a boat. A port to BB would be pretty amazing, but I probably won't be on until later in the week.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone, I'll probably hit the sisters for a level or two then head to CB or Unrest for some grouping action. I've been pretty casually soloing for an hour or two as I have time, mostly because of odd play hours. I agree that grouping is way more fun, it was just too easy to solo green gnolls in Blackburrow for fangs and level at a nice clip.

If you're at 14 you are pretty much already at the top end of crushbone. You can bum around soloing in slavers or around the bridge and collect belts and earrings to sell for spell and armor money, but unless you get in the throne room not much is going to give you worthwhile exp.

Look at EC dervish camps or maybe Oasis of Marr. If you're feeling saucy catch a ride to EJ and run to Kurns Tower, just remember to bind in the safe spot in Field of Bone.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Anyone around that can help me transfer some plat between characters?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Anyone ever have any difficulty with function keys in this game? I started playing again today and to my knowledge nothing has changed, but when I try to use F1 to target my character the Windows Search pops up, which is the 'alternate' function on my keyboard. I closed the game and went to check but in Windows, the keys function properly. It's only in EQ that they've switched functions. I've looked and tried different things, but nothing seems to fix it.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

Anyone ever have any difficulty with function keys in this game? I started playing again today and to my knowledge nothing has changed, but when I try to use F1 to target my character the Windows Search pops up, which is the 'alternate' function on my keyboard. I closed the game and went to check but in Windows, the keys function properly. It's only in EQ that they've switched functions. I've looked and tried different things, but nothing seems to fix it.

If you have an "F Lock" key like my keyboard does, that'll solve your problem. Alternatively, Alt+O should lead you to the keybinds page where you can remap whatever you want for targeting.

Off topic, looks like hurricane Irma is gearing for a direct hit on my hometown. I won't be in-game for a little while. RIP Florida goons.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Pillow Armadillo posted:

If you have an "F Lock" key like my keyboard does, that'll solve your problem. Alternatively, Alt+O should lead you to the keybinds page where you can remap whatever you want for targeting.

Off topic, looks like hurricane Irma is gearing for a direct hit on my hometown. I won't be in-game for a little while. RIP Florida goons.

Thanks, I'll try that. I figured it must be something like that.

Also: THOUGHTS & PRAYERS

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
I've been riding the struggle bus since I gave into my addiction since 2010.

Currently 35 and attempting to solo undead froggos in LGuk as a Paladin.
gently caress I hated Guk but missed this game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I forget, were SKs passable soloers in velious era or was it until Luclin/PoP that they really started to take off? I remember a lot of the same snare/fear combos could be used for them, but the delayed level at which they got them could prove problematic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

I forget, were SKs passable soloers in velious era or was it until Luclin/PoP that they really started to take off? I remember a lot of the same snare/fear combos could be used for them, but the delayed level at which they got them could prove problematic.

Yeah I feel like they were pretty passable but not great, but I haven't played SK since like 2001 so maybe I'm mis-remembering.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They're in the capable without being a huge eq nerd category when it comes to leveling, and slightly better with undead. But, without twinking, they're not even close to the majority of casters. Geared at higher levels they're up there with monks as the best melee soloers and can do really well with healer/slower/mana regen support in a duo.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
Anyone selling banded? I'm parked in the EC tunnel and will be on poking around some evenings this week if anyone wants to unload a set :kiddo:

Toon is Toolicus, 16 Shaman

Fyodorovich fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 18, 2017

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Fyodorovich posted:

Anyone selling banded? I'm parked in the EC tunnel and will be on poking around some evenings this week if anyone wants to unload a set :kiddo:

Toon is Toolicus, 16 Shaman

What size do you need?

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Got an Enchanter up to 12. I've forgotten how unforgiving this game could be.

Any suggestions for making PP? Really need to buy some gear (Should it be a mix of + hp/mana/cha or focus mostly on +CHA?). I've been hoarding CC belts up till now so that should at least pay for spells. Sisters in Lfay or Lightstones in Eruds?

Toon is Justaddwater.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Justaddwater posted:

Any suggestions for making PP? Really need to buy some gear (Should it be a mix of + hp/mana/cha or focus mostly on +CHA?). I've been hoarding CC belts up till now so that should at least pay for spells. Sisters in Lfay or Lightstones in Eruds?

Toon is Justaddwater.

Sisters will mess up your Felwithe faction. You're in luck, I have a couple Charisma items and a robe you can have. I'll look for you in-game.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Pillow Armadillo posted:

What size do you need?

I'd prefer regular-sized.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Sisters will mess up your Felwithe faction. You're in luck, I have a couple Charisma items and a robe you can have. I'll look for you in-game.

Pretty sure the Nybrights are on the Dervish Cutthroat faction. Are you thinking of the OOT Sisters?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
12 may be a little rough for the Nybrights. If you want slightly slower and safer, you can mill about crushbone either in a group or soloing at or around slavers and selling belts. IIRC Enchanter charm at level 12 is not great and you get the one worth using at 16, which opens up some other options like OOT Gargoyles.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Enchanter charming at 12 is fine. At that level I was at the minotaur camp in steamfont, by the lfay zoneline. Easy, good charm practice, and the money is okay. It's right next to the Nybrights too, so you can check to see if that's available occasionally (it never will be).

As for gear, the most gamechanging thing you can realistically get early on is 55hp/5AC rings. That hp buffer is huge at low levels and makes charming 100x more forgiving.

As for long term gearing, I'd definitely say the priorities are Gazughi Ring > Jboots > HP > CHA > INT/Mana. Tbh I think I might even value STR more than mana since it makes looting much more convenient. Higher max mana isn't going to do anything at all for you 99.99% of the time.

Shout out to the rod of insidious glamour, which is quite cheap (or can be quested solo), has great enchanter stats, and most importantly is pretty much the most convenient instant clicky in the game to let you cast spells faster. Works on any target, pulls no aggro, doesn't give you a lovely disorienting zoom effect like a telescope. You can also spam it on people for a pretty lightshow. Get one asap.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 20, 2017

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Justaddwater posted:

Toon is Justaddwater.

Hope you found some hp/ac rings. That int gear I gave you should last you a while. Get some charisma items like earrings and neck, lots of stuff like robes will have both int and charisma. Good luck!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Realistically any items you can acquire grinding out plat at level 12 are not worth it. Especially as a caster. Just keep leveling. Unless you just like gearing up as it's own activity then all the above suggestions are solid.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Justaddwater posted:

Toon is Justaddwater.
Around lvl 15, you can fairly safely grind in EC and WC. Kill wisps for Greater Lightstones, hoard them, and turn them in by the bucketloads to the Dark Elf gypsy in South Ro (quest: https://wiki.project1999.com/Evil_Research) or another gypsy lady in NK (quest: https://wiki.project1999.com/Research_Aid), yielding approx. 10pp per stone and a little XP, and Dark Elf faction, which can be pretty handy. You will also find lots of CB belts, DF scalps and other stuff that is pretty decent newbie money.

In the high 10's / 20, you can go to OOT and farm gargoyles for their eyes, great cash.

But yeah as said, don't sweat plat farming so much at low levels, but I recommend the EC/WC grind until lvl 20, just because it's a nice, easy comfortable zone with lots of people, and you can get buffs and hand-outs from all the people at the tunnel mouth. It just feels so homely. :)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Can you still charm wisps in western commonlands and have it solo most of the zone due the immunity to non magic weapons?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Can you still charm wisps in western commonlands and have it solo most of the zone due the immunity to non magic weapons?
Honestly couldn't tell you, though I'm tempted to log in to figure it out.

This is one of those things that only true EQ nerds follow on the forums. I lost track of it years ago, but it's worth highlighting as something that people argued about extensively with the devs regarding what the behavior of magic weapon flags vs. levels etc. should be at any given time in order to mirror the original timeline properly. Just another reason why P99 is a special place for amazing/terrible people.

Early weirdness regarding the normal damage invulnerability was pretty common on P99 and led to some noteworthy semi-exploits. For instance, the original XP distribution code did mostly what it was supposed to do - it gave XP to whichever person/group did the most damage...except damage to an invulnerable target was messed up. So if a group or person did nothing but non-magic damage to a magic-damage-only target like a wisp, specter, etc. they ended up at the top of the list. The number of characters PL'd on specs in the first year of the server probably quadrupled the number of actual players. Mages were among the best PLers at the time considering how OP the pet mitigation and damage tables were back then as well. It also led to some fuckery on early contested named mobs, though I don't remember how exactly different groups both doing damage to an invulnerable target worked out.

Also, the fact that I can be as nostalgic for early P99 broken mechanics as I can for classic EQ live broken mechanics at this point is pretty amazing/terrible.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Whichever one of you goonfuckers is the GL of Kittens Who Say Meow kindly quit poo poo talking me to literally every person you meet. Out of the three interactions I ever had with you the blood level of alcohol/benzos must have been so high that you promptly forgot about those conversations the following day in each instance. Wouldn't say that makes you a very good judge of character. Worthless junkie.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Oh, Everquest!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

FayGate posted:

Whichever one of you goonfuckers is the GL of Kittens Who Say Meow kindly quit poo poo talking me to literally every person you meet. Out of the three interactions I ever had with you the blood level of alcohol/benzos must have been so high that you promptly forgot about those conversations the following day in each instance. Wouldn't say that makes you a very good judge of character. Worthless junkie.

I would also like to add to this, I know one of you fuckers is looting my mailbox because I've been checking it for over 7 days straight and I got nothing. STOP STEALING MY MAIL.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

I would also like to add to this, I know one of you fuckers is looting my mailbox because I've been checking it for over 7 days straight and I got nothing. STOP STEALING MY MAIL.
No.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FayGate posted:

Hello https://www.project1999flames.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I played on Al'Kabor for like a year when EQMac was still live (I got to level 30ish) so I'm used to playing EQ classic without maps and stuff. But to be clear, P1999 doesn't have the planes of power or anything, so making my way from Halas to a place with actual players on my Barb Shaman would be extremely difficult, right? I'm contemplating starting a Magician or a Bard somewhere in Kelethin/Faydark since I assume there will be people there to help me on my way - any other cities that have people around? I loved EQMac and this seems pretty similar so I'm keen to give it a go, I'm just not used to playing without the Plane of Knowledge as a central gathering point.