Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Infirmary was among my first few rooms

I never got around to building it, but I can heal at the templars if I really need to. I'm screwed if I get a particularly nasty trait though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only reason why I built my infirmary was because one of my top soldiers got a reload trait and I had nothing else important to do at at that point.

Ironically I forgot to do that to a Fear of Chosen as I took that person to a Chosen mission....

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Does anyone know if there's an .ini setting somewhere I can change to start a campaign with a single engineer and scientist

e: nvm, this mod that I thought was outdated supports wotc https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620218278

Taffer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 4, 2017

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you're downplaying what an astonishingly bad idea it was in the first place :v:

Vahlen did nothing wrong :colbert:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I rolled the "Reaper" ability on my Templar from the pool of XCOM skills. Mother of god, why does Advent even bother showing up anymore?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't think I'll be picking this up, WotC adds nothing I'm interested in beyond the system improvements, but I heard something interesting from a friend with it - if you play the tutorial and get Jane Kelly, the Chosen will apparently mention her by name should they capture her.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why did every single soldier end up with fears the chosen or whatever after the last mission I did, this is going to suck

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I don't think I'll be picking this up, WotC adds nothing I'm interested in beyond the system improvements, but I heard something interesting from a friend with it - if you play the tutorial and get Jane Kelly, the Chosen will apparently mention her by name should they capture her.

:catstare:

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

With how all three can show up at the end mission I wonder if they have any unique dialogue if you just don't bother with the strongholds or it just reuses their standard lines.

Don't know about that, but they do have some esoteric choices for unique dialogue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salPjWj-N2I

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, especially if you want SPARKS. Infirmary is only really necessary if someone important rolls a bad trait tbh.

It is kinda necessary because it's inevitable- and having dealt with them going off at the worst possible time anyone who gets one gets slammed in the psych ward immediately.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008
Had an interesting item interaction with spectres and sustaining spheres; my templar had a sphere and got shadowbound, but when I killed the spectre, the shadow triggered the sustain. After the sustain expired the shadow stayed alive (for about 3 seconds) but my templar remain unconscious. Had to carry him out since I didn't have revive protocol with me. So, yeah, maybe don't use sustain spheres ever, as that situation could have been a lot worse had that not been the last enemy on the map.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In xcom 3 we will have covert ops to infiltrate the plumbing company and taxi service.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

In xcom 3 we will have covert ops to infiltrate the plumbing company and taxi service.

Na it will be about managing the last city left on earth after the Lost have taken over the world. You will have to deal with a bunch of factions and protect the world from that greater evil they keep saying is coming.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zombies are boring, anime reject villains don't interest me, and the other resistance groups and all that stuff is profoundly eh to me. I'd pay five or ten bucks for the system improvements and new classes, I suppose, but like Alien Hunters and Shen's Last Gift the story and big important new mechanics don't impress or interest me.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Zombies are boring, anime reject villains don't interest me, and the other resistance groups and all that stuff is profoundly eh to me. I'd pay five or ten bucks for the system improvements and new classes, I suppose, but like Alien Hunters and Shen's Last Gift the story and big important new mechanics don't impress or interest me.

The amount of stuff this adds vs the previous DLC's doesn't even bare comparison. This is like 10x the size of EW, and it owns.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
just started my first WOTC campaign today and holy poo poo with the tutorial on its like a whole new game

I can see why they almost made this into xcom 3

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cythereal posted:

It's a tactical game, the worth of the expansion comes from the wide variety of new tactical experiences (which the expansion has in spades).

"The theme does not interest me" is like ... Okay? You're kind of missing the point if you only play the game for the theme.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taffer posted:

The amount of stuff this adds vs the previous DLC's doesn't even bare comparison. This is like 10x the size of EW, and it owns.

And the vast majority of what WotC adds, after catching up on this thread and watching videos, is stuff I simply don't care about or find appealing. Very little to address what I feel are the game's shortcomings.

Jabor posted:

It's a tactical game, the worth of the expansion comes from the wide variety of new tactical experiences (which the expansion has in spades).

"The theme does not interest me" is like ... Okay? You're kind of missing the point if you only play the game for the theme.

Then I'm happily missing the point. I play games primarily for story and characters, and WotC's are poo poo with only a few glimmers of anything interesting.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
do my posters get saved as image files anywhere or do I have to manually f12 them in game?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If you are after story and characters why are you playing video games honestly?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I play games primarily for story and characters, and WotC's are poo poo with only a few glimmers of anything interesting.

look not every game can be a masterpiece of story telling like Mass Effect Andromeda

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

If you are after story and characters why are you playing video games honestly?

This is a weird hill to die on in an xcom thread

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moola posted:

look not every game can be a masterpiece of story telling like Mass Effect Andromeda

Man you have thin skin.

I find X-COM 2 a deeply flawed but ultimately okay game - which is about how I feel about Mass Effect Andromeda, incidentally. War of the Chosen does very little to address what I feel are the game's shortcomings and its banner features are things I do not care about or consider actively detrimental, so I will not be purchasing the expansion.

If you like it go nuts, but it is not for me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It was just a joke friend

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Putting Xcom2 on the same level as Andromeda is insulting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I dunno, I think they're quite similar - take a beloved game or franchise and soft reboot it into a hopelessly dull and unimaginative new-yet-not setting and fill it with questionable design choices and be utterly indecisive whether it should be a new cast of characters or be overly tied to its predecessor.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
brb just gonna go tell the Dota 2 thread that I don't think that game has a very good story so I shan't be playing it!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Moola posted:

do my posters get saved as image files anywhere or do I have to manually f12 them in game?

Posters are saved as image files, just take a small dive into the documents folder.
Should be under photobooth

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It's OK to not like things.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

You guys don't have to pile on him because he doesn't care for the game, he wasn't insulting anybody.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Man I liked Andromeda and even I'm weirded out by this.

Like I would get it if it was "the general aesthetic tone of the expansion pack goes in a completely opposite direction than I would've liked", I've seen the divisive arguments about super tactical soldiers fighting a global threat vs heroic people fighting the good fight (I admit a preference for the latter but I totally get people who like the former feeling left out), but playing the nuCOM games for story and characters is like playing Andromeda and expecting to get a sequel soon by the end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Exposure posted:

Man I liked Andromeda and even I'm weirded out by this.

Like I would get it if it was "the general aesthetic tone of the expansion pack goes in a completely opposite direction than I would've liked", I've seen the divisive arguments about super tactical soldiers fighting a global threat vs heroic people fighting the good fight (I admit a preference for the latter but I totally get people who like the former feeling left out), but playing the nuCOM games for story and characters is like playing Andromeda and expecting to get a sequel soon by the end.

Well, my apathy about War of the Chosen isn't just about story and characters. The Chosen are by all accounts not anything I'd find fun to fight - same reason I skipped Alien Hunters. I also didn't want more stuff to do in the geoscape, I love the geoscape as it is and think it's just about perfect. The Lost are kind of interesting mechanically, but they're also loving zombies. None of the new classes are very interesting to me, they don't seem like anything that couldn't already be covered by existing classes with more choices. The bonding system is neat, but it's a small thing, and while I like the new regular aliens and ADVENT they're not enough to shell out for the entire expansion for. I hate the fatigue system, building a deep bench isn't how I like to play X-COM, I like developing a small team that I'm very attached to.

The Chosen being escapees from Final Fantasy is just an extra layer of blah on top of a whole lot of mechanical changes I don't care for. Sure, I'd spend ten bucks on system improvements, a few new mission types, and maybe a new class, but War of the Chosen offers little beyond that to fix what I feel are the gameplay's shortcomings.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well after paring down my list of... 330+ mods over and over and reverifying files over and over, I can at last say that being subscribed to one of these mods was behind my repeated crashing:

Not exactly sure which of these was the culprit, but at this point I was ready to take a scorched earth policy.

Now most of my characters look like

but now I can start the process of building back up to have a fun bunch of clowns.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
This happened when he didn't like the premise of the base game too. Why do y'all even bother

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh no, they changed how alien rulers work after doing the mission and now there's a berserker queen here.

Oh no, it's a stealth mission.

Oh no, she's right outside the VIP's cell.

Oh no, I tactical stealth actioned my way between her and the VIP without activating anything and there's a final pod right on the VIP.

:(

e: Oh no, she's moving towards me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I think they're quite similar - take a beloved game or franchise and soft reboot it into a hopelessly dull and unimaginative new-yet-not setting and fill it with questionable design choices and be utterly indecisive whether it should be a new cast of characters or be overly tied to its predecessor.

One is a buggy disaster that got rushed out after a 5 year development hell. The other is a successful sequel that fleshed out a lot of mechanics of the original. They're really not on the same level at all.

Also bringing back characters from the original makes sense in a direct sequel. Andromeda was supposed to be an entirely new game in an entirely new setting so its reliance on stuff from the previous games was just bad writing from Bioware.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

These resistance fighters are doing 6 damage a pop.

There's like maybe 2 enemies that have more than 12 health, jesus christ

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm waiting for mods to catch back up to it, tbh.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

These resistance fighters are doing 6 damage a pop.

There's like maybe 2 enemies that have more than 12 health, jesus christ

Wanna know where they got those assault rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I will agree with Cythereal insofar as that the Lost being, visually, just zombies is not particularly compelling. If you took that premise of hordes that somehow there always more of that grew out of the people cocooned but not taken from cities hit with those mist bombs in the XCOM intro, you could have something that was more explicitly a weird mutant in design that was more interesting visually than a grey corpse. Even if they remained zombies mechanically, being something besides a green and grey shambling carcass would be more interesting to look at.