Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Definitely deflated by the ending. But I kind of like the confusion and anxiety it left me with. I would have enjoyed a neater, more fan-servicey finale that gave satisfying answers to all the questions (especially with Audrey), but Lynch always eludes me in the end. I won't know what I think about it for a month or two. Initial reaction is certainly pretty negative. Loved episode 17. Might have to look at 18 as a post-script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lynch gave two rides

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

what the gently caress

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching that Julee Cruise performance again and I was about to say that it took place in the Roadhouse without touching on Audrey at all, but actually it doesn't even take place at the Roadhouse. It's just in front of a red curtain. In the Red Room I guess?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

boy howdy that was a long drive

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

part of me is pretty disappointed with that ending but also it freaked me out and seemed so weirdly sad that i kind of liked it too

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
The infinity symbol that teapot Jeffries showed Cooper was pretty fitting Considering the ending.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Wait wait wait. Lady at the door said her name was tremond? Wasn't that the old lady from meals on wheels? Did Coop end up too far in the past?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I can see why they're mad but I don't know if I agree.

Turdfuzz posted:

kinda how i feel
just go on thinking of ep 17 as the actual end
ep 18 is if they decide to make a new season then u can care about it
maybe
i dont know

The way I see it, the reason 17 and 18 are two episodes and premiered together is because they had to split it in two in editing. 17 ends really abruptly pretty much in the middle of a scene so I imagine it was supposed to lead right into where episode 18 starts but they just didn't have enough time and instead gave it its own episode.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hell yeah Lynch

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

LostRook posted:

The woman who answered the door gave the name Treemond which is the same as the lodge resident. I wonder if she's the same actress who played the replacement in the season 2 episode.

Audry was in the nuthouse.

Diane and Cooper's alternate reality selves are Richard and Linda. Diane forgot herself, Cooper didn't

WRT Audrey: what had it to do with anything? She being mad and became pretty clear in here scenes, especially the whole coat thing and Audrey's dance.

I don't see the connection. Someone suggested all of this was in Audrey's head. But why didn't she insert herself in it in a central role?

And about Richard and Linda: yes, it why did Dale already got reminded about those names in the lodge? And why are those names important to begin with.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I liked how the RR was perma-closed in the tangential timeline.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

agreed

pricklytoast
Oct 22, 2016
I loving loved it. I have no idea what I watched but I loved it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

quote:

There is no loving way Lynch will get away with the way he ended this show. Lynch hasn't made any movie since decades, and I think this was the last TV show he has made.
I'd be surprised if Lynch will get financing for any other TV show anytime soon. The way the show ended was just a loving horror.
It is a complete humiliation and disregard of the viewership. Sad thing is that Lynch mocks those few fans that held up to him till last.
Lynch was ready to score in the grand finals and he hosed up bigtime.
Its just sad.

quote:

This excursion and revisiting of the show was utterly loving pointless. Terrible ending, hundred plot lines left unanswered. Never will be answered. A book? Like he's going to spill everything in a book.
I sat through 15 episodes of filler and thought maybe the last three would close the loop, but it fails hard.
Nothing about this season makes any sense to make it worth watching at all. This show is a mere shell of its former self and what made it great to watch in the first place.

quote:

I feel completely trolled. No benefit of doubt for Lynch. No love for the artistry or anything... this was bullshit to me.
I had worries all season long but kept hoping it would come together. It never did. The first hour tonight was good and then we had like 47 hours of silent driving scenes and a mindfuck bullshit ending that's probably angling for another season. But I'm out.
I hope I can distance this season from my love of the original show and movie because I am not happy with what we got here.
I know I'm probably gonna get downvoted to hell for this because the general consensus I've seen on here is people have loved this season, but I feel like Lynch basically said FU to original series fans.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013
I mean 18 might have worked if they had a better atmosphere. It felt kind of boring and aimless. If they stuck with a more Fire Walk With Me oppresive atmosphere it might have worked better. Also I'm not sure the whole nuclear pain spirits, Palmers being cosmic forces and time travel and alternate plotlines poo poo added anything valuable. In fact I can say that for most of season 3

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I feel exactly how I felt watching Trump win real time

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

DALE, I'M PRETTY SURE YA hosed SOMETHIN' UP PRETTY BAD THERE, BUDDY

This was amazing. Honestly, I don't care if we get a Season 4, because this felt final to me - "see you at the curtain call" and everything.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

StopHangingDjs posted:

I mean 18 might have worked if they had a better atmosphere. It felt kind of boring and aimless. If they stuck with a more Fire Walk With Me oppresive atmosphere it might have worked better

the car ride was dull but the walk up to the palmer house was really unnerving imo

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I really want somebody to diagram the time travel/alternate universe shenanigans. Not sure I quite followed it all. :psyduck:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if the conclusion is really that "it was all a dream" then i'll be pretty disappointed but i do hope with some time to unpack everything some more interesting ideas about what happened will emerge. or maybe nothing happened and it's all bullshit lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That was a pretty lovely non-ending. Looking forward to all the hot takes of "no, you're watching the show wrong" defending that episode popping up everywhere. 17 was a really good episode, though.

Maybe something will come of it, but I doubt it.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I think the fan freakout makes it all worthwhile. I'm pretty agnostic on episode 18, but not to the extent that I think Lynch betrayed me or anything. This is what he does.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

romanowski posted:

the car ride was dull but the walk up to the palmer house was really unnerving imo

For me only the scream at the end worked. Felt like Twin Peaks for a moment there

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

LawfulWaffle posted:

That was a lovely way to end Twin Peaks.

That was the ONLY way to end Twin Peaks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I loved 17 and it made me think the whole slow burn was great, and then 18 came along and left me pretty disappointed. And by pretty I mean really. That sucked.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sardonik posted:

I really want somebody to diagram the time travel/alternate universe shenanigans. Not sure I quite followed it all. :psyduck:
I thought I was following it until Lynch made it abundantly clear to me that I absolutely wasn't

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is a pretty awesome theory on the ending:

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6xxh4p/s3e18_theory_on_the_finale/

Makes a lot of sense...

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Okay I don't get it at all. But I am starting to appreciate it. For some reason that scream in the end gave me the chills and the 'what year is it cracked me up'.

It was a rather boring final episode tho. Expected lynch to go off the rails completely, which he did, but in a explosive way so to say

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hell yes this is what I'm here for!!!!

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Jimbot posted:

That was a pretty lovely non-ending. Looking forward to all the hot takes of "no, you're watching the show wrong" defending that episode popping up everywhere. 17 was a really good episode, though.

Maybe something will come of it, but I doubt it.

You are watching the show wrong

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
So Chalfont/Tremond were Lodge spirits, making it clear that the Palmer house was still in the thrall of the Lodge. Laura hears her name, remembers everything and screams, shattering the illusion of that world/dimension. But then what?

Also still waiting on gifs of Sheriff Truman's hat getting shot like a cartoon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I can see the argument that the whole show boils down to "this is a dream of Richard's", yeah.

The only problem with it is the end when Laura hears her name.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm not 100% sure what to think, other than most of that driving could have been cut out, filled with at least SOMETHING more. 30 minutes to do the episode we saw, but use the preceding 30 minutes to show Dougie and Janey-E. Would have been totally fine with that. Oh no, Coop's either still in the goddamned lodge, or something WAY worse.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i guess i just like how non-fanservicey it was

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't like the show being a dream because it just makes it muholland drive again but this time extremely long

also I kind of liked twin peaks just taking place in this real but hosed up and magical/evil world

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

Confounding Factor posted:

Makes a lot of sense...

I really don't like this theory. It makes it feel like the entire show was a waste of time and I've never been a fan of "lol it's just a dream" type endings. Also Laura as a angel of goodness never really sits well with me

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Makes a lot of sense...

see i don't like this theory because it's literally just mulholland dr

edit yeah what they said^^^^^

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Makes a lot of sense...

I think he got it right on the nose there.

But I don't think it was a very good way to conclude, even if there is sense to make of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lucy killed a guy.