Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Homura and Sickle posted:

yeah what in the world is that thing

also hooray they're not blood related

Its some kind of mechanized Samovar and I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

a kitten posted:

Among many other things, this whole callback was super good.

fug

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

Among many other things, this whole callback was super good.

This is great.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Chise is good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chise is indeed good, and this ep was nice, but it feels like a bit of a non-sequitor for how late into the show we are. Starting to get a little concerned about whether we're going to have enough time for a good ending.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, two episodes in a row where no one died. Must be saving up the corpses for the finale.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Chise is indeed good, and this ep was nice, but it feels like a bit of a non-sequitor for how late into the show we are. Starting to get a little concerned about whether we're going to have enough time for a good ending.

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to see Princess overthrow Steampunk Queen Victoria, you're probably not going to get it. Some kind of final showdown with Normandy that ups the stakes for a hoped-for second season? That's much more likely.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I do love a good "gokigenyou" and also a visit from the Mean Girl and Her Two Flunkies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Still laughing about that burn Princess got in.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

a kitten posted:

Still laughing about that burn Princess got in.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Culture shock is always funny, even when it happens to a spy.

https://twitter.com/kuroboshi/status/904342754091704321

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Heck, I thought they confirmed a 2nd season way back when the first couple episodes were airing. I'm enjoying the show for what it is thus far, but it would be disappointing if they never got the chance to escalate things further. If one season is all we get however, I think the likely climax is a direct confrontation with Normandy's killer secretary rather than the man himself. She comes off as the most immediate tangible threat.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rangpur posted:

Heck, I thought they confirmed a 2nd season way back when the first couple episodes were airing. I'm enjoying the show for what it is thus far, but it would be disappointing if they never got the chance to escalate things further. If one season is all we get however, I think the likely climax is a direct confrontation with Normandy's killer secretary rather than the man himself. She comes off as the most immediate tangible threat.

I can imagine them getting him thrown out, only to be replaced with a super-competent spymaster at the beginning of the next season for him to resent.

But yeah, this show really seems to be banking on getting another season, and considering how much I'm enjoying it I hope it gets one to give its story a satisfying conclusion.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Can Beatrice talk without the voice changer? :confused:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

L-O-N posted:

Can Beatrice talk without the voice changer? :confused:

The voice changer is embedded into her larynx, so...no?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone forgot to draw it

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It has a built-in cloaking device that only activates when she smells something offensive. :science:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Weird thing to think about, but between Chise admitting to not being good at English and all of her cultural faux pas, I imagine this episode is going to be a tough one to dub without making it seem racist.

Since her "English" doesn't affect her dialogue at all though, I imagine it would be easy enough to avoid by changing the language they're studying though.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
As an avid watcher of cricket I was pleasantly surprised when it was shown right at the beginning of the episode, only to be immediately turned off when I heard the metallic clang of a baseball bat rather than the soothing knock of leather on wood.

Dammit anime Steampunk England get your sounds right! :argh:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Ball has gears on it.

Bat's diesel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Fun fact for the day: RL Queen Victoria's granddaughter Charlotte suffered from Porphyria. A condition that is thought to be one of the inspirations behind Vampirism.

It ran in Prince Albert's family.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I wonder if porphyria is common on the Black Lizard Planet.

I still think the Black Lizard Planet will turn out to be something real. Not an actual planet of lizards, but like a secret group in that orphanage, or the name of the spy training school they went to, or something. Because spies lie... but one of the best ways to lie is to tell the truth in such a way that no one will believe you.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, a Black Dragon was used by the Tudors as a symbol of their rule over Ulster...

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Weird thing to think about, but between Chise admitting to not being good at English and all of her cultural faux pas, I imagine this episode is going to be a tough one to dub without making it seem racist.

Since her "English" doesn't affect her dialogue at all though, I imagine it would be easy enough to avoid by changing the language they're studying though.

Yeah it's been kinda weird seeing a Japanese show making a bunch of "oh those wacky Japanese!" jokes. Language-wise, I don't think it would be too difficult to dub a foreigner struggling with the intricacies of English without seeming racist, so long as they don't get into any "me so velly ronery!" shenanigans.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvEicGhiVcs a little video on some of the production background on this and flip flappers

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Viola the Mad posted:

Yeah it's been kinda weird seeing a Japanese show making a bunch of "oh those wacky Japanese!" jokes. Language-wise, I don't think it would be too difficult to dub a foreigner struggling with the intricacies of English without seeming racist, so long as they don't get into any "me so velly ronery!" shenanigans.

One of the episodes of the second season of Big-O was an extended bout of throwing shade on Japanese sentai robot conventions, complete with a set of identical bucktoothed "ah so velly solly" Japanese businessmen selling the robots.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://twitter.com/xbattenjinx/status/906524177686917120

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Why does Dorothy always have to get all the bad endings? :smith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Welp, looks like were heading into the endgame.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Between this and the latest episode of Made in Abyss, it's been a pretty stressful week for anime.

Considering that Beatrice has been getting all of her training on-the-job, she's actually keeping up with everyone else pretty well. Someone still should have thought to give her a couple of driving lessons at some point, though.

https://twitter.com/kuroboshi/status/906879771656589312

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Beatrice will yet reveal a wind-powered belt and throw down on anyone who dares try to harm Princess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why does the commonwealth want the princess dead now?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Unclear, but my speculation is that the military branch of the Commonwealth is on the rise and this is some sort of convoluted Casus Belli nonsense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Don't kill 'em all don't kill 'em all don't kill 'em all don't kill 'em all :pray:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

K Prime posted:

Unclear, but my speculation is that the military branch of the Commonwealth is on the rise and this is some sort of convoluted Casus Belli nonsense.

I'm thinking there's been some kind of coup in the Commonwealth, probably instigated by Normandy, and since Princess is a threat to Normandy's power, Princess has to die.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I was hoping Ange was going to shoot the gun out of her hand from the window, but alas, brains all over the wall instead. I wonder if this show ends with Ange and Princess re-swapping, and Ange giving up her life for it. Feels like an MGS plotline.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Some awesome music this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
"Now do you remember? Who you are? What you were meant to do? I cheated death, thanks to you. And thanks to you, I've left my mark. You have too. You've written your own history. You're your own woman. I'm Ange la Carre, and you are too. No... she's the two of us together. Where we are today, we built it. This story, this legend; it's ours. We can change the world, and with it, the future. I am you, and you are me. Carry that with you wherever you go. Thank you, my friend. From here on out... you're The Queen."

(I'm NUUUCLEAR....)

• Locked thread