Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Potato Salad posted:

He really doesn't know what to do about that towel.

He's weirdly possessive of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfHsMLbW0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Why can I not be this man :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCggEJD_6qY

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, I've met some cockatoos at the shelter who were once mistreated and picked themselves half-bald, but really turned around in proper care. Some were eventually rehomed again, too.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

There was a Goffin's at the vet today named Cleo who was the sweetest cuddliest cloud I've ever met. She let us give her all the scritches and would say "Hello!" when we walked away. She also took most of her pellets and tried to hide them in her wings - where they promptly fell to the ground every time. She was awesome and now I want a Goffin. Apparently she is boarded at our vet regularly and she's always like this. Are Goffin's known to be good natured birds?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Look up some cockatoo videos on YouTube and be aware that this could be your life as well. Albeit smaller and generally more well behaved (in my experience) they're still psycho at heart.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

So they're cuddly clouds or epic bird haters? My sample size is Eric the Legend and Cleo. I could live with either really.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think Eric is a bare-eyed, which is slightly different. fwiw the two Goffin's I've met are Arnold, who boards at work regularly and is an absolute sweetheart, and Kulani, who I posted about in this thread when she was staying with us, and transcended past "sweetheart" into... I don't even know.

I miss that bird every drat day. Goffin Good.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Goffins were the ones in the tool fabrication experiment study, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yoshi took a nap on my shoulder today, which is something he rarely does since he was a baby. He's just an extremely hyperactive budgie who would prefer to fly around chatting and knocking things off ledges, that when he gets tired, he just gets cranky and screams and until we put him in his cage and close the door, and then he'll nap for a bit.

It's probably normal, but our last budgie, Loki, was so big on napping with us. He was particularly fond of stretching himself out across a nice, warm laptop, shutting his eyes, and taking a nap that prevented us from using the keyboard. Yoshi's more like "You're here! Let's play! Let's never stop playing! Why am I annoyed and tired? Play harder! Play harrrrrrrderrrr.... Am... I... in my cage? Fine. If I have... to..." *falls asleep*

We thought it was that Yoshi was a night owl and Loki was an early bird for awhile (Yoshi used to be quite cranky in the mornings), but even if we put him to bed a bit late, if Yoshi so much as hears us walk by his cage while we're getting a glass of water in the middle of night, he makes a bunch of happy chirps like "It's time to wake up? Let's go, let's start playing!" I think we have an insomniac budgie. Oh well, at least he's easier to give medicine to than Loki was. :v:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Trebuchet King posted:

Goffins were the ones in the tool fabrication experiment study, right?

Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyTTpmM3AWs

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I like how Kiwi has seen the tool made but not made it herself before, so she is slower at it and makes a shittier tool but still gets it in the end. Also she seems sure that wedging the end of the big plank under the wire is a Very Important Step before figuring out that holding it in her foot is easier.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i wish we had goffins in australia rather than corellas

corellas are assholes

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Goffin haver checking in to confirm that they are indeed cuddly and adorable, and also still very much a cockatoo. In my case, Nicky isn't as friendly and outgoing as others might be because of her treatment by previous owners, but for my fiancée and I she's a sweetheart. She also throws a massive ear splitting tantrum almost every time someone takes a shower and can be a temperamental drama queen. Like all cockatoos, she's also capable of destroying almost anything in the house. She lives up to goffins' reputation for intelligence as well. She learns our habits, what she can get away with with who, how to get at things she wants (or more often than not, how to try and get us to get her things she wants). She loves puzzles and challenges, and will get destructive and/or mischievous if she's bored, so it's important for her wellbeing to have an ever changing rotation of toys and regular daily play time with her whole flock. She's tons of work and she's absolutely worth it. Bear in mind that if you get a goffin, this will be what your life is like for decades to come, and you need to be okay with that.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Goffin haver checking in to confirm that they are indeed cuddly and adorable, and also still very much a cockatoo. In my case, Nicky isn't as friendly and outgoing as others might be because of her treatment by previous owners, but for my fiancée and I she's a sweetheart. She also throws a massive ear splitting tantrum almost every time someone takes a shower and can be a temperamental drama queen. Like all cockatoos, she's also capable of destroying almost anything in the house. She lives up to goffins' reputation for intelligence as well. She learns our habits, what she can get away with with who, how to get at things she wants (or more often than not, how to try and get us to get her things she wants). She loves puzzles and challenges, and will get destructive and/or mischievous if she's bored, so it's important for her wellbeing to have an ever changing rotation of toys and regular daily play time with her whole flock. She's tons of work and she's absolutely worth it. Bear in mind that if you get a goffin, this will be what your life is like for decades to come, and you need to be okay with that.

Thank you for this, as this is what I expected to hear from a realistic assessment - cuddly but a bird.

I have begun bombarding my wife with Goffin pics. She was at the vet and met Cleo as well. She wants a dog but I am allergic, maybe I can swing her this way instead.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

GoldStandardConure posted:

i wish we had goffins in australia rather than corellas

corellas are assholes

Goffins are a kind of corella. Just cuter than most of them...

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Mizuti posted:

Goffins are a kind of corella. Just cuter than most of them...

Shooo ya bastards!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
honk honk honk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQp3sKkQyk

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

No touch! Only honk!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve has accepted the new perch and this part of the cage now exists for him again, and it only took an entire sprig of millet

Ohtori's eye seems to be getting better now.

Still have no idea what caused it. After vet visit the other day we took out the Scritch n Preen basket, and his beloved tumbler foraging toy, in case rubbing against those was to blame. His eye is slowly getting better since but it's only correlation, no evidence, so the cause could still be about. Hope it isn't his tumbler because he loves using it, and it really keeps him busy. Until it comes back, he got a little bucket for his dried tea instead

:3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve has accepted the new perch and this part of the cage now exists for him again, and it only took an entire sprig of millet

Good work, bananabird :3:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oldsrocket it's pretty cruel of you to post about nicky without more pictures for us :/

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Look up some cockatoo videos on YouTube and be aware that this could be your life as well. Albeit smaller and generally more well behaved (in my experience) they're still psycho at heart.

Here's a cockatoo that became agitated, rocks back and forth, makes dinosaur groans , in full angry puffy cloud form , and supposedly will keep this up for the rest of the night.

The reason: it heard a video of an human gagging.

https://youtu.be/dc5-M5wbzug

...does it for hours.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

EVIL Gibson posted:

Here's a cockatoo that became agitated, rocks back and forth, makes dinosaur groans , in full angry puffy cloud form , and supposedly will keep this up for the rest of the night.

...does it for hours.
That's only the tip of the iceberg of Max's Maxness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETJfQM4IqY

If parrots are eternal 2-year-olds then Moluccan Cockatoos are eternal 2-year-olds on meth.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

EVIL Gibson posted:

...does it for hours.

Apparently he wasn't even over it by the next morning. :stonk: Cockatoos are prone to severe fits that leave them rattled long after the offending incident.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

oldsrocket it's pretty cruel of you to post about nicky without more pictures for us :/

Kisses and "tea" time with my fiancee:

Should I stick my face in this?

I'm gonna stick my face in this.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i cant think of a better cup for a goffin to drink from :3

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Kisses and "tea" time with my fiancee:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets bird kisses :3: I've trained Kiwi that if I ask her if she loves me, she gives me a kiss :3:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/takapodigs/status/903926320165380096

This guy has the best job, working with Kakapos. They don't even try to mate with his head most days!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

redgubbinz posted:

https://twitter.com/takapodigs/status/903926320165380096

This guy has the best job, working with Kakapos. They don't even try to mate with his head most days!

Kakapos are like Dr. Suess creatures come to life.

What a face!
https://twitter.com/takapodigs/status/903927388765020160

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

http://i.imgur.com/6VDaF0H.mp4

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BattleBots has changed a ton since I last followed it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's a Roomba on a meth bender

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/adventuresofrob/status/904832540732780545

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

That diagram is wrong. The conure picture should be a lot wider, and cover the majority of the nice and rear end in a top hat scale.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Christ, Samba might be injured again. It looks like his tongue got scraped by something because it has an odd patch and is yellowish. He's moody but he's also moulting so not a good indicator.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Testikles posted:

Christ, Samba might be injured again. It looks like his tongue got scraped by something because it has an odd patch and is yellowish. He's moody but he's also moulting so not a good indicator.

Sorry. :( Hope Samba is okay.

The tiny budgie version of this was my weekend and I am very glad that my wife found it:

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 6, 2017

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bicyclops posted:

Sorry. :( Hope Samba is okay.

The tiny budgie version of this was my weekend and I am very glad that my wife found it:

The last cell should be the parrot surrounded by a mountain of bird chew toys or more colloquially known as minute to destruction toys.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Lovebirds aren't on this chart because they're such assholes that they skew the data as outliers. They are a little bit below pigeons in the brains category.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Chart incomplete without CAGs in the far corner of smart assholes.

edit: My point, illustrated.

ApathyGirl fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Soylent Yellow posted:

That diagram is wrong. The conure picture should be a lot wider, and cover the majority of the nice and rear end in a top hat scale.
yes.

be healthy samba ):