Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You see, when two animals love each other very much, the storks will deliver a genetic abomination from his other comic strip for them to raise as their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

County Donegal is most definitely not in Northern Ireland Ripleys. That's a pretty lovely mistake to make as well. I mean it's in the north of the Republic and it used to be part of Ulster but that's seriously not something you should be getting wrong.

Also, please never stop posting King Aroo. It is great! It's the only old comic I read, it really appeals to me.

Spirit of the Staircase I'm enjoying as well but it feels like it's in SD and the rest of the thread is HD. There's something about it that I find hard to see, I dunno. Especially when it's in black and white, it's unreadable.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay okay I have a question about the animal people.

How the gently caress do wolves and rabbits make a baby? How did the bat and porcupine make their abomination?

I hate-read Harbourmaster but at least that doesn't have prey being the bad people for not wanting to be eaten.
They just.. do. Genetics means fuckall in this awful world! This is even funnier (worse) with Lindesfarne being a "biologist" but apparently dumb or gullible enough to have believed she was a porcupine for half her life, just because her adoptive parents didn't want to raise an insectivorous hedgehog. Cause, you know, those animals are identical.

~who gives a poo poo~

Anyway the best biological fuckup in the whole comic is Francis, whose parents are a fennec fox and a human-turned-rabbit. After spending time as a generic fuzzy thing, he ended up metamorphosing into a human.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay okay I have a question about the animal people.

How the gently caress do wolves and rabbits make a baby? How did the bat and porcupine make their abomination?

I hate-read Harbourmaster but at least that doesn't have prey being the bad people for not wanting to be eaten.
Holbrook never quite realized why most media with talking animals staunchly avoids the subjects of "so do the predators eat other sentient beings, or...?" and interspecies...relations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Even the colorist refuses to read this thing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Whoever said US Acres could entertain little kids, do you mean like not yet reading little?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also the comic explicitly says that the hedgehog got knocked up because the bat's condom got punctured with her quills while they were loving

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sunday

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartons

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

goatface posted:

Dang son, what have you got against Africa?

I was just trying to bless the rains and my finger slipped

look the manual for SimEarth is like a million pages long okay

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I don't know which is worse; Holbrook's ridiculous "internet world" or his "DNA is just magic" crap.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^I'm not complaining, but god drat, I'm gonna be 80 years old and still see Loss Edits. It's gonna be glorious.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I don't know which is worse; Holbrook's ridiculous "internet world" or his "DNA is just magic" crap.

Deffo the "DNA is magic" stuff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pastry of the Year posted:

I was just trying to bless the rains and my finger slipped

look the manual for SimEarth is like a million pages long okay
That manual is a loving work of art.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

I was hoping someone would do this the minute I posted it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anything with four panels is fair game.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

I appreciate the fridge-cam in the last panel

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Strontium posted:

random Viivi & Wagner

This actually made me laugh out loud.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I appreciate the fridge-cam in the last panel

Yeah, I like the new or unusual angles that turn up in The Lockhorns from time to time. Makes me feel like even though the strip is repetitive, H&R are still having fun with it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Alterian posted:

This one pisses me the gently caress off and is really offensive. No, teachers do not like buying new supplies for all the kids in their class. In a class of 30 kids, even if you spend only $10 on new supplies for each kid, that's $300 they're eating. No, they most likely won't get reimbursed. That's easily a student loan payment on an already low salary.

Yeah for real, gently caress this. Rose is Rose is always garbage but this specific strip and the kind of thinking about pedagogy that it encourages in dipshit parents is borderline evil.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel sort of bad for Sprocket, but on the other hand, "you're a terrible criminal because you insist on wearing a very specific and recognizable kind of outfit no matter what, so just have this free jailbreak and relax" isn't that bad a deal.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alterian posted:

This one pisses me the gently caress off and is really offensive. No, teachers do not like buying new supplies for all the kids in their class. In a class of 30 kids, even if you spend only $10 on new supplies for each kid, that's $300 they're eating. No, they most likely won't get reimbursed. That's easily a student loan payment on an already low salary.
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in my part of the country teachers don't get paid over the summer. My mother taught middle school for 40 years, and she got one big paycheck at the end of the school year that was intended to cover the next three months.

(Add on to that how being a teacher involves a ton of unpaid overtime; I remember my mother spending three or four hours a night grading papers, writing tests, reading reports, and so on "for free".)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Alterian posted:

Do teachers even do that poo poo? Back when I was a kid, we had to bring our own damned supplies. We even had to contribute to classroom kleenix boxes and whatnot. The teacher might have a supply of pens/pencils for people who needed one, but that was it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Also the comic explicitly says that the hedgehog got knocked up because the bat's condom got punctured with her quills while they were loving

I. What.

Condoms. You're serious?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I. What.

Condoms. You're serious?

I mean maybe it was a punctured diaphragm

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Y'all are majorly underselling the weirdness inherent in the strip if 'bat/hedgehog hybrid' is the strangest thing you talk about.

- The hedgehog is the lost heir to the human-Earth British royal family.
- The setting is actually the result of a scifi dystopia time-travel plot.
- Multiple characters have their own social media accounts with their own completely insane stories being played out outside the comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Do teachers even do that poo poo? Back when I was a kid, we had to bring our own damned supplies. We even had to contribute to classroom kleenix boxes and whatnot. The teacher might have a supply of pens/pencils for people who needed one, but that was it.

It isn't unheard of, though not generally on the scale shown in this comic. I've known teachers to keep some extra supplies handy to discretely give to kids who can't afford school supplies of their own, but that's not the same as buying supplies for the whole class every year. That said, though it may not go to individual students, teachers do end up paying for a lot of classroom stuff out of their own pockets.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Bobulus posted:

Y'all are majorly underselling the weirdness inherent in the strip if 'bat/hedgehog hybrid' is the strangest thing you talk about.

- The setting is actually the result of a scifi dystopia time-travel plot.
- Multiple characters have their own social media accounts with their own completely insane stories being played out outside the comic.

God drat, comic strips rule, lol.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bobulus posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

This strip keeps topping itself when I think it can't get any weirder.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also birds are responsible for creating whatever's happening in that comic strip

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Even if he did want it, Bob Saget hasn't hosted America's Funniest Videos in years.

9 Chickweed Lane

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows the value of lovely buffets.

Working Daze fails to tell a joke, and still manages to overexplain it.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

what the gently caress is Meg's problem

Dustin has jobs all the time and Meg never does nothing

Dustin probably does more real work than radio host Mom and lawyer Dad

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Zippy

Ripley's

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

What a lame-rear end forced situation, she could just have changed her loving clothes.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Late to the party, but yeah -- aside from the Tor Johnson Baby, the way this teacher/teachers are depicted in this strip gets me seeing the red mist. They always show Miss Whatserface lying on the beach all summer, too, and not working her second/third jobs to make up for no pay over summer, or spending her entire summer stuck in development workshops, admin, or writing all new lesson plans because upper management binned all of the previous year's work and initiatives.

This only reinforces what people like my family, my in-laws, and even Mr Boods think - that I work only 24 weeks a year, only 8 hours a week, ooooh, must be nice, shouldn't you think about getting a summer job instead of just lying around?

t:mad:t

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Did the KGB watch Get Smart or did Mel Brooks and Buck Henry work with the KGB?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU