Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I think Ninja Storm probably has some of the nicest costumes, gear and zords. It's all sleek while maintaining the toyetic ethos of the series

The source series was the second to really go maximum toy so they learned a bit from the previous series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm watching Ninja Steel and this seems, alright? I don't get why people dislike the show so much. In this episode there was a threat, a kind of neat zord battle, and while the gold ranger appeared the whole episode wasn't consumed by him. It paced itself well, given the runtime it has and the number of plot beats it has to go through.

Also, the VR Galvanax monsters actually blew away office buildings in smoke and fire, and I figured all footage of crumbling buildings were lost from this show after 9/11. So it's reasonably daring of them to bring it back.

Calaveron posted:

the green samurai ranger was loving amazing with his design being a direct reference to the original green ranger plus his weapon was an electric shamisen

In the Sentai, he's a faceless baseball fanatic. :)

I mean faceless too, because they did an early Gokaiger-style throwback in having a different former actor play his disguised "IRL" alter ego each time, showing up in a variety of odd jobs and then revealing himself to be the sixth ranger. It's the kind of thing I would like PR to try to do sometime, since the oldest cast members are now so aged that you could slip them in without many viewers noticing.

Unfortunately the trans-oceanic travel probably prevents that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Calaveron posted:

Just from a cursory glance Dino Charge is uuuuugly.
Yeah, it's lind of a mess. The mentor character is a weird Jim Henson workshop cast-off, there are way, way too many Rangers (and not in the fun SPD kind of way), the colors are meh, the conceit about having X amount of charges to Ranger Up makes it seem like a bad turn-based video game/tabletop adventure, and oh god the gunmorphers, and I think the villain isnt much to write home about.

And yet, it still ends up being enjoyable in spite of all thats stacked against it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man I just remembered and I honestly can't tell if it was real or a fever dream, but was there a Dino Thunder episode where the rangers just straight up watch an episode of lemme look it up, Abaranger, and just riff on it the entire time? And the guest star was an african american baseball player (in the japanese series, not the american)? Was that real or did I dream it?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ninja Steel: "Gold Rush"

This zord fight must be from a crossover movie that we'll not get because Saban is balls, because the megazord just made the Ninja Storm wind ninja logo when it spit out red.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Calaveron posted:

Oh man I just remembered and I honestly can't tell if it was real or a fever dream, but was there a Dino Thunder episode where the rangers just straight up watch an episode of lemme look it up, Abaranger, and just riff on it the entire time? And the guest star was an african american baseball player (in the japanese series, not the american)? Was that real or did I dream it?

I think it's real and I think the sum of the episode was "That's what they think we're like?!"

Or i'm confusing it with the episode where they watch the Secret History of the PR Franchise

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That episode was called "Lost & Found in Translation", and it did happen.

There's an episode of Akibaranger that is basically a Japanese response, by the way. It's the source of that gif of the original MMPR red ranger admiring a woman's rear end.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

Ninja Steel: "Gold Rush"

This zord fight must be from a crossover movie that we'll not get because Saban is balls, because the megazord just made the Ninja Storm wind ninja logo when it spit out red.

Not quite. Ninja Steel's origin Sentai, Ninninger, came out during an anniversary, and it celebrated it by having some earlier Ninja (and the very first Red) appear to give some advice to the protagonists. The result of this is them getting Shuriken with the powers of NinjaRed (Alien Red) and HurricaneRed (Ninja Storm Red).

Saban tried to remove those cameos, at least as far as I could read, but I guess they just hoped no one would remember the logo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yes, but that means there's footage to have a special episode with old rangers (local kiwis, even) and we probably won't get it because this show is run on the tiniest of budgets.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The MMPR cast has been adamant and pretty consistent and they have said at every con I've been to that they'd love to come back and do a tribute episode or whatever if Saban would go through the union and pay them union wages.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Saban wouldn't pay for a stick of gum at union prices.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Morby posted:

The MMPR cast has been adamant and pretty consistent and they have said at every con I've been to that they'd love to come back and do a tribute episode or whatever if Saban would go through the union and pay them union wages.

We're going to get very bad body doubles with very bad voice overs, just like in season 2!

* note, Original Power Rangers returned to their ... world... gymnastics... peace... adult life... conference immediately after scene.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, it's lind of a mess. The mentor character is a weird Jim Henson workshop cast-off, there are way, way too many Rangers (and not in the fun SPD kind of way), the colors are meh, the conceit about having X amount of charges to Ranger Up makes it seem like a bad turn-based video game/tabletop adventure, and oh god the gunmorphers, and I think the villain isnt much to write home about.

And yet, it still ends up being enjoyable in spite of all thats stacked against it.

The limited charges actually come from Kyoryuger. Same with the gun morphers. They actually cut the samba dancing

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Xelkelvos posted:

The limited charges actually come from Kyoryuger. Same with the gun morphers. They actually cut the samba dancing

I love that the dancing didn't get explained until like 30 episodes in.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Calaveron posted:

I think Ninja Storm probably has some of the nicest costumes, gear and zords. It's all sleek while maintaining the toyetic ethos of the series

Eh the main Megazord in Ninja Storm is one of my least favorite in the franchise, for much the same reason I don't like the main one from Dino Thunder at all*, the fact that one Zord makes up most of the Megazord just feels lame**

*although that's also because I feel Dino Thunder/Abaranger in general has some of the worst designs on the good guy side in either Power Rangers or Super Sentai

**the Thunder Megazord/Dairenoh is a bit of an exception to my feelings on this issue, but then again Dairanger has some of the best heroic designs in the franchise, also this issue I have only applies to the Main Megazord, not to the Sixth Ranger's Zords or any other secondary/auxiliary Zords(except in regards to the issues I've mentioned in the past that I have with Shikenger, Gokaiger, and Go Busters Zords)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Abarekiller is my favorite costume, but I'll admit his robot design is a bit of a dud.

I think the base Megazord of Ninja Storm aka Hurricanger is supposed to be an homage to Liveman. It's even the same animals.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What is wrong with the thread calling the 3rd greatest sentai Kyoryuger bad?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I quite enjoyed Kyouryuuger as they fought against the cast of the Wizard of Oz (plus Lady Liberty)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kyuryuger owns.

Also if you think those designs are gaudy look up kamen rider ex-aid. (Which owns extremely hard)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kamen Rider in general has a problem with gaudy over-engineered Henshin geegaws.

As bad a Morphin Glasses, Mystic Flipphones and ChargeBlasters are, I'd take them all before looking at an ugly-rear end Kamen changer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morphin Glasses rule.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Kamen Rider in general has a problem with gaudy over-engineered Henshin geegaws.

As bad a Morphin Glasses, Mystic Flipphones and ChargeBlasters are, I'd take them all before looking at an ugly-rear end Kamen changer.

You have to go to the older transformation items for good Rider stuff. Nowdays it has to be over-engineered just to work with the toy gimmicks they all have to sell.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I really liked the design of the OOO Driver for being somewhat understated, as far as these things go. Of course, the same series includes a belt that is literally a gashapon machine.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

W and Drive had great accessories. So did Kabuto. Wizard's wasn't half bad either.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Drive's was a bit bulky but was nothing compared to the nonsense size of the Fourze and Ghost ones.

W, OOO, Wizard, and Gaim all have pretty straightforward dead-simple designs. They need something other than the belt to work but they're not too big or really over-designed.

As bad as Wizard was on the writing and directing side of things it had pretty good looking designs all around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I just like how the MMPR morphers became part of the costume as a simple, understated, flow-enhancing belt buckle. Very nice

EDIT: And the communicators were pretty cool, understated watches compared to say, Super Mega Force's giant alien face

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

gently caress, I just had the MMPR communicator jingle pop into my head.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

gently caress, I just had the MMPR communicator jingle pop into my head.

I wonder if anyone has an mp3 file available I could use as my text tone
I composed my own mmpr jingle on my first Sony ericsson blue screen monochromatic cellphone that had a little ring tone composer

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

RBX posted:

What is wrong with the thread calling the 3rd greatest sentai Kyoryuger bad?

Kyoryuger is not Dino Charge.

Cernunnos posted:

Drive's was a bit bulky but was nothing compared to the nonsense size of the Fourze and Ghost ones.

W, OOO, Wizard, and Gaim all have pretty straightforward dead-simple designs. They need something other than the belt to work but they're not too big or really over-designed.

Basically: if you need to put an actual hand-lever on your Rider belt, you hosed up. Kabuto and Ex-Aid might be the only exceptions here.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 4, 2017

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Ghost driver was such a lovely design. There was a skull or something hidden inside the translucent plastic and it didn't read on camera at all, so buddy's just running around with this huge white blob on his waist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the best belt in recent years was the Amazon Driver from Amazons

But that's two fold cheating. First it's based on Amazon's belt from the Showa era (which wasn't a transformation item) and second it's in the decidedly Not Toyetic For Adults show.

OOOs really does have a slick belt and gimmick. Genuinely really like it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

Kyoryuger is not Dino Charge.

Everything except the villans and mentor applies. Although he might be attaching his dislike of the rangers of the season to the colors and overall aesthetic of the footage as it all fits together well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How could you dislike the Dino Charge rangers? Pink ranger is enthusiastic and adorable, you got a dang old caveman, cyan is a great character who really earns being a ranger, the smart one is smart without being annoying and a good friend, red is just kind of cardboard cut out but inoffensive, skater boy is also a little cookie cutter but generally likable, and you got a Knight with a sword and a rich boy who wants to help.

It's a very diverse line up and most have really enjoyable gimmicks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The extra rangers in Koryuranger were so much better and better connected. Torin being the mentor from the beginning (with great style) and ending up as the final member was a good payoff.

I never really understood why they made a totally new mentor character if Torin was still going to be involved.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I liked Dino Charges cast too which is why I'm confused.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Really if there was any weakness it was just the alien dude who it seemed they forgot existed half the time and seemed fairly unnecessary. He wasn't even bad or annoying, just perplexing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RBX posted:

I liked Dino Charges cast too which is why I'm confused.
I liked Green. Guy who fences being given Ranger powers was good. Cavedude was ok. The Honorable Knight from ye olde Tyr na Nope was grating as gently caress. I liked the multicultural casting for Pink too, even if the character was kind of a ditz.

Too many suit chars though. Just too much.

Best Pink is still SPD pink.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cernunnos posted:

As bad as Wizard was on the writing and directing side of things it had pretty good looking designs all around.

I love when there's an extra doodad that hooks into the belt for the ultimate form, especially when it plays well with the existing aesthetic. So you have W's Xtreme, which is basically a double memory that opens and just makes the belt cooler looking. OOOs just had purple core medals, nothing extra. Fourze had a giant bulky switch that was really nothing more than a vehicle for a button, which was super disappointing when you look at the magnet switches that became control sticks for a jetpack when plugged in. Then Wizard had to stick to the ring gimmick so nothing special there. And then Gaim showed a return to form with the penultimate form being a large unique lock, and the ultimate form being a key that opened up another function of that same lock and then both opened up to show all the fruit slices, because Kiwami Arms used all the different weapons from every lock.

And then Drive and Ghost we're just fancier macguffins than normal again. And Hyper Muteki wasn't even that impressive cause it didn't even play with the belt, it just slotted on to Maximum Mighty X to hang there.

Build shows promise though. We know that the next upgrade is a double slotter like Xtreme and there's a connection port on the belt toy we have no clue about yet.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Bought the red ranger sword today and it's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My favorite "lol westerners" thing in sentai was the Blue Ninninjer. That show wasn't great, but Yakumo was extremely :allears:

He moved to England with his mom, and took on a British national identity, so he's a very cartoon "this is how Japan thinks England is". Instead of continuing his ninja training as a child, he attended a special Wizard School In England (:allears:!) to become a spellcaster. He has a lawnmower that he has given a woman's name, and constantly drops factoids like "a well-kept lawn is the pride of every Englishman."