Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Origami Dali posted:

Still dunno who Judy is, lol.

BREAKFAST - LUNCH - DINER

it means something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know the fact that Cooper went on a quest given to him by Leland Palmer should be telling ("Find Laura").

I'm not sure what it means exactly, but I feel like that should have been a sign that he was on the wrong path.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

eSporks posted:

Fighting evil is not the moral equivalent to evil itself.

Considering that pretty much all he accomplished was getting Laura and Cooper hosed over in a panoply of ways across time and space, I suppose a fourth option is he fights evil but really sucks rear end at it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Audrey
Vomiting kid
Prisoner across from Chad
Screaming Asian girl
Magic drug dealer
That kid who shot himself in the woods
Jerry Horne
Electricity
Beverly's husband
Insurance salesman who leaves his card with Lucy
Frog bug
Judy
The eight with a ball that people keep calling the infinity symbol despite lacking the defining characteristic of the infinity symbol: its horizontal orientation

That white horse is in Laura/Cassie's home.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

At the very beginning of 17, Gordon Cole says that Cooper and Briggs told him about an extreme negative force called in olden times "Jowday", which became "Judy".

Philip Jeffries told Cooper that Judy was someone he had already met.

Cooper met Sarah Palmer (who has the mother inside of her).

So I extrapolated from that that Judy = Sarah Palmer/mother.

Thing is... Cooper knew about "Jow-Day"/"Judy". So Bad Cooper should have been privy to that info already. Hell, he even set up a box to take picture of Judy. So why was he so confused about who Judy was?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flying Zamboni posted:

I like that nobody apparently gave Mr. C coordinates to what he was actually looking for. The other set was a trap on top of that rock and then the one's from Briggs seem to have just lured him to the Fireman to put him on the track to get punched straight to hell by Freddie.

He's honestly pretty much exactly like the real Cooper in that every single god drat thing he did got screwed up in some fashion, often by forces out of his control, and it led to his downfall pretty much by his own goal-oriented hand.

edit: Well, Freddie's goal-oriented hand in this case, but... you know what I mean, my point is they both screw up a lot despite overwhelming competence

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
every single entity we see in the show is from the black lodge right? so then it's pretty obvious they have a vested interested in farming garambozia and maintaining the status quo (which evil cooper sought to disrupt?)

pretty disappointed chester desmond had no resolution at all

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Flying Zamboni posted:

I like that nobody apparently gave Mr. C coordinates to what he was actually looking for. The other set was a trap on top of that rock and then the one's from Briggs seem to have just lured him to the Fireman to put him on the track to get punched straight to hell by Freddie.

I loved that whole little white lodge sequence. It was so strange. So tense also. I wasn't sure who had the upper hand. Really thought we might see Bad Cooper burn the place down but man were they right on top of things in there. His face in the cage looked so funny.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also the shot of Cooper holding his hand out to Laura in FWWM kind of sort makes some sense to me now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
At least Ed & Norma ended up together :unsmith:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like this show would've been better if lynch didn't have free reign and was forced to cut out the monotone parts

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I don't dislike the way the season ended, but one thing that bugs me is how much it's like Mulholland Drive's ending, except Mulholland Drive did it way better in my opinion... in MD, the ending actually sets up a wonderful cycle that loops back to the beginning of the film. It's confounding and makes your head spin, but also feels complete. Twin Peaks has the same type of ending where you have the same actors in the same settings playing different versions of themselves in a world that's been turned upside down, but where MD had a closed loop TP has roughly a trillion threads left dangling.

A big part of this is probably length: Mulholland Drive is two hours long, so there's less story to deal with the audience is okay with being confounded. But Twin Peaks s3 is 18 hours so there's just so much stuff rattling around in our heads.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Raxivace posted:

You know the fact that Cooper went on a quest given to him by Leland Palmer should be telling ("Find Laura").

I'm not sure what it means exactly, but I feel like that should have been a sign that he was on the wrong path.

Dale's a loving idiot. The past doesn't dictate the future. That's the PRESENT.

You can't change where you came from, only where you're going. Try to change your past - or anyone's - and you'll find it's an impossible task.

The world spins.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Relin posted:

every single entity we see in the show is from the black lodge right? so then it's pretty obvious they have a vested interested in farming garambozia and maintaining the status quo (which evil cooper sought to disrupt?)

It's probably time to be suspect about the very existence of the white lodge in the first place. It's black all the way down folks :unsmigghh:

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
That was great and ending on another cliffhanger gives me hope for more, which I didn't have before tonight

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Relin posted:

I don't think it's clear if the Fireman and Dido are in the White Lodge or the Black Lodge?

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Cromulent posted:

Wow that loving sucked.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think it's clear if the Fireman and Dido are in the White Lodge or the Black Lodge?
They're in a place that isn't the Red Room, and I thought it was the White Lodge, but when Booper attempts to go there, he gets spit out right at the place he's trying to find (the sheriff's station), so it seemed like the place was helping him out at that point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here is a post I'm copying/pasting from elsewhere that I kind of agree with:

quote:

The original Peaks was great because beyond the perfect atmosphere and style, there was a constant sense of order and consistency. There were clear characters and narrative goals that gave the story momentum and emotion regardless of whether the audience ever actually arrived at those goals. When the show bent the rules and broached the surreal and abstract it felt meaningful and evocative because there was still a structure of reality to challenge

The Return was great too and twenty times better than the camp and nostalgia milking and fan service that any other showrunners would have given us, but I can't seriously say it was better or even as good as the first season. It was completely unmoored from the audience, for better and worse. Lynch and Frost were throwing whatever came to mind on a canvas, and most of the time it worked out (or even succeeded wildly) because they're master craftsmen and brilliant artists, but not always. Not every improvised plot device was convincing or relevant. Not every digression or new minor character had value. The "system" of dream logic fanboys keep dissecting is mostly their fevered imagination and not based on a secret rule book. It's coming from psychological impulses, not a hidden structure. Occasionally the Return was quite sloppy

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

This whole season has been unbelievable. Goddamn you David Lynch.

I'm not even sure how to process everything.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

quote:

I am the FBI.

Holy crap lol

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm pleased by 18. My way of thinking was more or less exactly like that 'Welcome to my nightmare' theory a few pages back. Feels like I've been given plenty of puzzle pieces to attempt to put together a picture that can never come into full fruition/will completely change every time I assess it.
It makes me feel anxious and uneasy, even a little disappointed that I've sat through such a long series with only that being the conclusion, but the fact I have enough toys to play with in my head makes it all worth it to me. I def understand why people would be hosed off by the ending though.

Right now the biggest plot thread I want tied up is; those deep fried guns, did they or didn't their bullets go off...??

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Pinterest Mom posted:

it doesnt match brigg's description of things in the white lodge at all. just because he's in the fortress currently doesnt mean its the white lodge

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you start to accept that every entity on the show is evil, I think it makes the character of Briggs a lot more interesting. Is he just a total dupe- or did he become an entity, get a taste of that sweet garmonbozia, and truly realize that love wasn't enough :unsmigghh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

They're in a place that isn't the Red Room, and I thought it was the White Lodge, but when Booper attempts to go there, he gets spit out right at the place he's trying to find (the sheriff's station), so it seemed like the place was helping him out at that point.

I don't know how helpful "I'll spit you out at the place where the guy with the magical glove that I sent to punch you out of existence is" is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I love how many shots in the trailer were from the final episode. Andy's picnic basket, cooper stepping out of blackness, Cooper stepping IN to blackness, Cooper driving with Laura, Even a shot of Cooper and the side of Laura's head in the final scene.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

Dale's a loving idiot. The past doesn't dictate the future. That's the PRESENT.

You can't change where you came from, only where you're going. Try to change your past - or anyone's - and you'll find it's an impossible task.

The world spins.

I don't know. When the Mother of all the evil going on in Twin Peaks starts flipping the gently caress out because you're succeeding in doing something in the past, you know you're doing something right. I think it's something nefarious on their end more so than the nihilism or fatalism of what people want the ending to be.

Edit: It's why the world goes dark when Laura screams at the end, she remembered something she wasn't supposed to by design and it broke the illusion.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, that was a thing. I was definitely reminded of Harry Potter when Cooper started hiding behind the bushes because he thought Laura would see him. It really seemed like a bad idea, too, to just interfere with everything that had happened. Like, this is basic time travel stuff, dude. :rolleyes:

All in all, not what I wanted, but not exactly the worst way to end it, either. I think it just goes to show that the ending defines the entire show, even if it's a non-ending. Seemed kind of final when Cooper's wide eyed expression kept cropping up during the last bit of episode 17. That's the look of a man who knows that poo poo isn't going the way it's supposed to. It's just a shame about all the plot threads that were simply dropped. Cocaine Wizard, Shelly's daughter, Audrey, Ben and Jerry Horne. At least we got a happy ending for Janey-E.

Maybe this is also David Lynch's version of the Alan Moore League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2. No way anyone other than Lynch is ever gonna write Twin Peaks again. This can't be continued.

Polo-Rican posted:

A big part of this is probably length: Mulholland Drive is two hours long, so there's less story to deal with the audience is okay with being confounded. But Twin Peaks s3 is 18 hours so there's just so much stuff rattling around in our heads.

Yeah, my head kind of hurts right now. Maybe I need to go to bed, and then a Fireman will explain my destiny while I go: "What? What?".

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Why did Evil Coop want the coordinates at all? Weren't they just leading to asian eyeless Diane? Why would he care about her anymore?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know that Alice Tremond is not played by the singer from Chromatics, but they literally have identical haircuts and eye colors and they're wearing the exact same blouse. Lynch reused Chromatics a couple times in the Roadhouse, so I don't think it's that weird to assume that he made Alice Tremond look like the singer from Chromatics just like how he cast his musician buddy Chrysta Bell as Tammy.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I can see why a lot of fans got pissed off if they came at this entire series as if Lynch was doing this for the fans rather than doing this as a particularly self indulgent work for himself which this Showtime series has been from the start. And is why I've enjoyed it so much.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The meta-narrative of Twin Peaks is that it was made by the lodge spirits themselves, in order to harvest more garmonbozia

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Why did Evil Coop want the coordinates at all? Weren't they just leading to asian eyeless Diane? Why would he care about her anymore?

Booper was basically a glorified evil Dougie, he drove around acting on instinct and evil things naturally happened around him. I don't think there was much of a plan besides 'connive and kill anyone against me so I don't have to go back'

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
The lack of resolution for so many threads (many of which I liked very much) is really my biggest gripe. The end definitely felt like a nightmare and is intriguing, but really nothing about those last two episodes make me want to rewatch. And I was hoping to at least learn a few things that would show the earlier episodes in a different light (like Mulhollland Dr), but that's not the case.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Le Saboteur posted:

I can see why a lot of fans got pissed off if they came at this entire series as if Lynch was doing this for the fans rather than doing this as a particularly self indulgent work for himself which this Showtime series has been from the start. And is why I've enjoyed it so much.
Lynch left fans of only the original show and none of his other work in the dust months ago.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

the asian women are daughters of judy (i assume), so he must have wanted access to her for some reason

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
If someone goes into anything Lynch has penned and expects a straightforward conclusion, or heck, a conclusion...

like, that is one of his borderline staples. Disappointment is fine, but no one should be surprised. It would have been a break from the norm is everything actually wrapped up reasonably.

I still dug it!

Also, Dougie!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lynch left fans of only the original show and none of his other work in the dust months ago.
More like 25 years ago with FWWM.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Dougie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What did the "two birds with one stone" line end up referring to in the end? I assume it refers to taking out booper and whatever remained of BOB in one swoop but that feels a little bit shaky given that they are one entity.

edit: Also, too many people itt are confusing explanatory with satisfactory. An ending can leave enough to your imagination to remain twisted while still being satisfying. Episode 18 is not that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 4, 2017