Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All 3 of those comedies are great. Choose whichever setting suits you the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Veep and Vice Principals are great. Silicon Valley is meh.

True blood is just bad though. It wants to be trashy campy bad, but it's just bad so good call on that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vice Principals is good but head's up, that is just the first part and it was designed to be a two season show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Silicon Valley starts out really good and ends up okay. It's probably a little funnier to people who are in tech or know a lot of tech people and stuff, because lots of little things are super true. But only a little, it's still regular funny.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Vice Principals is good but head's up, that is just the first part and it was designed to be a two season show.

Well it's not like you've got much longer to wait for season 2!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of weird because they filmed the seasons together but split it into two with the idea that it would only be two.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Silicon Valley starts out really good and ends up okay. It's probably a little funnier to people who are in tech or know a lot of tech people and stuff, because lots of little things are super true. But only a little, it's still regular funny.
smdh that you can't assume goons are tech nerds anymore

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It gives them more room for editing and post, and also works better with the HBO subscription model.

Edit: ^ I don't know that abreviation.

"Suck my dick hard that you can't assume goons are tech nerds anymore"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ofecks posted:

I signed up for HBO Now to watch GoT and it renewed right before the finale, so I still have it for a few weeks. Need recommendations for series to watch. So far I've seen:

- Oz
- The Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- The Wire
- GoT
- Boardwalk Empire
- True Detective
- Westworld
- Empire Falls
- Vice
- Big Little Lies
- Tell Me You Love Me
- Sex And The City
- Girls
- In Treatment

Guess it's pretty obvious that I prefer dramas, and haven't touched a single comedy. Are those (Veep, Vice Principals, Silicon Valley, etc.) any good? Thought about True Blood but vampires :rolleyes: For what it's worth I liked them all in various degrees except the last two. Miniseries are fine.

Veep is really funny and good. I also suggest carnivale and rome

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watch DEADWOOD.

Also the Show Me A Hero miniseries

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, I just noticed something missing from your list, watch Mr Show. Its a little older but still holds up really well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Hey, I just noticed something missing from your list, watch Mr Show. Its a little older but still holds up really well.

Mr. Show is fantastic. I mean, it's.actually kind of hitnor miss, but the hits are so good it's still fantastic over all. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a comedy sketch show starring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. That should sell you on it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And Eastbound and Down is just awesome too. One of the few shows that could come back from a 'we're only doing 3 seasons' plan, add on a fourth and it was a genuinely great idea.

You might need another month...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
HBO worked perfectly on me. I ended up never cancelling it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Mr. Show is fantastic. I mean, it's.actually kind of hitnor miss, but the hits are so good it's still fantastic over all. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a comedy sketch show starring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. That should sell you on it.

Also Tom Kenny, Paul F Tompkins, Brian Posehn and Scott Aukerman.

With small appearances by Jack Black and Patton Oswalt.

Basically a bunch of good rear end comedians were involved.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Netflix just raised its prices again. I'm starting to wonder how far they're going to be able to push this. :raise:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Hmm, would this fill the Strike Back shaped hole in my life?

No.... best wait for Strike Back 3.0

btw Strike Back 3.0 is a thing.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 3, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MiddleOne posted:

Netflix just raised its prices again. I'm starting to wonder how far they're going to be able to push this. :raise:
They have such a huge userbase that I'd assume they could push it at least a little bit without taking too much of a hit.

What's the new pricing look like?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

We were gonna cancel in July but I held on til Defenders. The only thing I'm keeping it for right now is Supernatural and I have like 2 seasons left on that. Looks like Sept is our last month.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep all of them in mind. Watched the first ep + pop-up video extra of the Vice Principals pilot, seems pretty good. Looks like I'll get to see an episode or two of the next season before my sub is up.

Also apparently Danny McBride went to one of the high schools where I grew up. Not mine, but the next one over. Our sports teams were rivals. Thought that was interesting given the subject matter of the show.

EL BROMANCE posted:

You might need another month...

I have a lot of free time, so I'll probably be able to watch all of these. I bought a bunch of games during the Steam summer sale so I'll likely dive into those (or go back to WoW) afterwards.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

We were gonna cancel in July but I held on til Defenders. The only thing I'm keeping it for right now is Supernatural and I have like 2 seasons left on that. Looks like Sept is our last month.

Not gonna watch season 2 of Stranger Things?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Not gonna watch season 2 of Stranger Things?

Maybe if I can score a free month or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deadwood, Carnivale, and Rome. There's a decent mini series produced by HBO called Mildred Pierce with some big names behind it. It's directed/written by Todd Haynes (Far from Heaven) and stars Kate Winslet and Guy Pearce.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 4, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They have such a huge userbase that I'd assume they could push it at least a little bit without taking too much of a hit.

What's the new pricing look like?
They're only raising prices in Canada and by $1 for basic/standard and $2 for premium.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Surely some tviv'r can give you a family log in for 12 hours.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

No.... best wait for Strike Back 3.0

btw Strike Back 3.0 is a thing.

I know it's coming, but I need people to be shot noooooow.

Maybe I'll just watch the original again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The original series with Andrew Lincoln sucks. Strike Back 2.0 or nothing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The original series with Andrew Lincoln sucks. Strike Back 2.0 or nothing.

Yeah I meant the American one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Andrew Lincoln sucks
Agreed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all I don't know if you saw the marketing for Disjointed on Netflix that had a darkly lit smoky doorway with a scowling Kathy Bates and I don't know if you thought it would be a dark comedy drama about the unseemy underbelly of legalized recreational marijuana but it is not that. It is a multi cam sitcom complete with a laugh track created by Chuck Lorre and it is loving terrible. Go watch five minutes of it, it's so bad.

E: this one.

https://youtu.be/fQBpQBgfGK4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While it looks like a terrible show, I'm pretty sure that getting my grandmother to laugh at stoners (she loves BBT) is going to help ease legal recreational marijuana into the national consciousness.

Then again my grandmother is already pro-legalization and I talk to her about how great weed is already so.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

True blood is just bad though. It wants to be trashy campy bad, but it's just bad so good call on that.

This is false, True Blood is actually Extremely Good. It is both Trashy Campy Bad and Regular Bad, but the former often/well enough to balance out poo poo like "Jason gets turned into a sex slave for a clan of white trash werepanthers" and "Terry is being hunted by an Ifrit from the Iraq War."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, True Blood was terrifically entertaining. Around season 5/6 it just becomes a comic book and it's great

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

precision posted:

Yeah, True Blood was terrifically entertaining. Around season 5/6 it just becomes a comic book and it's great

Seasons 3 and 5 are the best because they have Russell Edgington, Vampire King of Mississippi (NSFW; because it's True Blood there is both gore and incidental fleeting nipple,) everything else finishes in second place.

Except the last season. Oh, brudder...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

JethroMcB posted:

Except the last season. Oh, brudder...

The final season has a single amazing detail in it as it averts a happy ending at all costs.

Bill has Vampire AIDS! Not even being the God of all vamps will save him! But it's okay, fairy blood can cure it or something. But for him, it has to be THE STRONGEST to live.

Cue Rutger Hauer being asked point blank if he will and going "What? No. I loving hate that guy."

And then not only does he die, he doesn't even want to go with dignity, making Sookie stab him alone in a graveyard while she screams.

That final season sucked but god were there some good moments in that plot line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True Blood also has straight up loving amazing characters like Pam, Andy, Jason, Lafeyette, Baby Vamp, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For the first few seasons True Blood danced a line between irredeemable trash I felt embarrassed I was wasting my time on and just tongue in cheek enough to keep me laughing with it. Also boobs. But eventually that line shifted pretty firmly in one direction and I couldn't take it anymore.

I think True Blood was the first show I ever abandoned and never looked back from completely killing the "sunken cost" fallacy with TV for me. Its close with True Blood and Dexter but I kept looking back at Dexter for a long time but I've never looked back at True Blood nostalgic or curious about anything.

Except boobs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know, True Blood was never as bad as Dexter's second half of seasons or so. That show made serial killing boring

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

STAC Goat posted:

I think True Blood was the first show I ever abandoned and never looked back from completely killing the "sunken cost" fallacy with TV for me.

Please tell me you got to the end of the death camps season for the funniest death scene on television. I will never forget "I love you..." (makes eye contact with ex-wife while screaming) "... JASON STACKHOOOOOOOOUSE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm a proud, gay, american vampire!

I'm a gay vampire American!

Also True Blood is worth watching for many reasons, though I won't begrudge people for dropping it after Alan Ball left.

Watch it for Deborah Ann Woll pls. Also Louisiana Hot Sauce.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 4, 2017

• Locked thread