Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand this constant criticism that Lynch "did it for himself" or was "unmoored from the audience" or whatever. it smacks of the taint of nostalgia. it's empty, meaningless babble that doesn't mean anything but "i liked the old one better" and takes twenty times more words to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love how Bobby killing a guy of all things came back around at the end of the show.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They're in a place that isn't the Red Room, and I thought it was the White Lodge, but when Booper attempts to go there, he gets spit out right at the place he's trying to find (the sheriff's station), so it seemed like the place was helping him out at that point.

Except Mr. C/BOB got completely dunked on by being there at that moment, and specifically by the dude that the Fireman put into place for a purpose (Freddie). You can't really paint him as incompetent just because Mr. C initially gets what he wants.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CJacobs posted:

What did the "two birds with one stone" line end up referring to in the end? I assume it refers to taking out booper and whatever remained of BOB in one swoop but that feels a little bit shaky given that they are one entity.

BOB and Judy, I presume. The conversation with Cole predated Booper's existence, I think.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm probably gonna attempt to binge the whole season tomorrow before cancelling my Showtime subscription, so let me know if you have requests for any 4K screenshots of anything this season.

I'll get a list together and get those to you as I watch.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

EatinCake posted:

If someone goes into anything Lynch has penned and expects a straightforward conclusion, or heck, a conclusion...

like, that is one of his borderline staples. Disappointment is fine, but no one should be surprised. It would have been a break from the norm is everything actually wrapped up reasonably.

I still dug it!

Also, Dougie!

I think that's nonsense. Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart, The Straight Story, etc. He is perfectly capable of wrapping things up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Best way to describe my feelings is that S3 stuck the landing but broke its ankle walking off the mat.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Dougie!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheMaestroso posted:

Except Mr. C/BOB got completely dunked on by being there at that moment, and specifically by the dude that the Fireman put into place for a purpose (Freddie). You can't really paint him as incompetent just because Mr. C initially gets what he wants.
Yeah, that's true. I didn't even consider that. Good point.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

And More posted:

I think that's nonsense. Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart, The Straight Story, etc. He is perfectly capable of wrapping things up.

The finale did wrap things up, just not in a way that everyone liked.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Also, I've been keeping some information from you that is crucial to the events that have been taking place for 25 years, Albert. No real reason tho, just didn't feel like telling you.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
Okay somehow my gut tells me that yeah, this is it, the end of the story, and what that story was about was pushing that scream of Laura's into an infinite time loop, trapping Cooper and Laura in that moment/scream being played infinitely, to create an infinite supply of a bunch of spirit beings/demons' favorite food: horror.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Low Desert Punk posted:

The finale did wrap things up, just not in a way that everyone liked.

I don't think it did. If you want to explain, though, I'll gladly hear you out.

Seems to me like the finale unraveled time, space and logic instead of unraveling the mystery, actually.

And More fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 4, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Also, I've been keeping some information from you that is crucial to the events that have been taking place for 25 years, Albert. No real reason tho, just didn't feel like telling you.

He talked about it earlier in the season - he had information he was keeping from Albert because everybody else who knew it mysteriously disappeared.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Dougie!

(ok I'll stop now, but I was surprised and delighted that they spared 20 seconds to wrap that thread)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I suppose the character with the best ending in all this was Jeffries (Laura and Audrey tie for second). He seems to be having a pretty good time, and everything worked out for him

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Well, The Final Dossier that comes out at the end of October is meant to be the epilogue to the series so I guess we've still got that.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
So they really want that next season, huh? lol

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
i don't know what the gently caress i just watched for 18 hours but i'm strangely (as in, i usually look for answers and get frustrated by a lack of them) okay with all of this because of how much i enjoyed the ride, the visuals, the haunting feeling, the visceral responses, and the absurdist humor of this stretch

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

"Richard" sure does seem to be the synthesis of Evil Cooper and Dale though thats for sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Apropos of nothing, Julee Cruise is upset on Facebook about... something.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

And More posted:

I don't think it did. If you want to explain, though, I'll gladly hear you out.

Seems to me like the finale unraveled time, space and logic instead of unraveling the mystery, actually.

What mystery are you referring to exactly? Also, wrapping things up is not the same as explaining everything in the process.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Origami Dali posted:

Maybe he wanted to keep Albert safe. Everyone else who knew ended up pretty bad off.

I loved Cole's scene at the start of 17, especially the line "Phillip Jeffries, who doesn't really exist anymore"

Maybe any time someone gets too close to Judy she fucks with reality and disappears people. Briggs, Jeffries, (Chet maybe?) and ultimately, in 18, Cooper. Judy know that Coop wants to find Laura and bring her to Sarah, so she warps everything to make that impossible. I don't know, man.

I don't know, man.

2:53 adds up to 10. The number of completion.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Upon further reflection I can live with this series ending, even if there's no S4. It would be kind of a drat shame though as I feel like this world has a lot more stories to tell.

I can see exactly why they released 17 and 18 at the same time too. Can you imagine the riot if 18 had released on its own? Honestly, taking the two episodes together, it doesn't feel that bad, S17 had a lot of the closure a lot of people were looking for, myself included. The primary arc of the season, relating to bad coop's actions, was resolved and all.

Christ I hope they do a S4 though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The end of Ep16... what even is this town :stare:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I read an interview with Julee Cruise about ten years ago and it was quickly obvious that she was... not quite all there

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Yeah, almost everyone that has worked with Lynch loves him. Then you've got these randos that just go off on him like Michael Anderson and now Julee Cruise it seems.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sardonik posted:

Upon further reflection I can live with this series ending, even if there's no S4. It would be kind of a drat shame though as I feel like this world has a lot more stories to tell.

I can see exactly why they released 17 and 18 at the same time too. Can you imagine the riot if 18 had released on its own? Honestly, taking the two episodes together, it doesn't feel that bad, S17 had a lot of the closure a lot of people were looking for, myself included. The primary arc of the season, relating to bad coop's actions, was resolved and all.

Christ I hope they do a S4 though.
I'll only accept a S4 if it ends with Cooper in an even more bizarre, less defined status of existence than S3 did.

He'll only be getting deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. Forever.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Two birds one stone might mean that Richard and Linda both incorporate the personalities of the two forms they had this season, so Richard is Coop+Boop, and Diane is Diane+tulpa?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Origami Dali posted:

I read an interview with Julee Cruise about ten years ago and it was quickly obvious that she was... not quite all there

Apparently the source of her anger is that she was only on TV for two minutes and that she thinks she's bigger than the show.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even if there was to be a season 4, I'm pretty unclear on what could possibly be done at this point. Laura's just had her mind broken by contact with the infinite, and at any rate all she could really do is go up to Judy- an entity that can evidently rewrite space and time- and try to kill it with her goodness orb. I'm not buying it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
who was that kid who killed himself in the woods and how did he and his girlfriend hook into the plot? I remember seeing him but I don't remember why he mattered.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
could i see a Hat Wobble

https://puu.sh/xr3Sw/b800f934e3.webm

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

Even if there was to be a season 4, I'm pretty unclear on what could possibly be done at this point. Laura's just had her mind broken by contact with the infinite, and at any rate all she could really do is go up to Judy- an entity that can evidently rewrite space and time- and try to kill it with her goodness orb. I'm not buying it.

Who says she could rewrite space and time? She doesn't have any defined power and literally anything can be written about that entity and the situation Cooper found himself in with Laura in the finale.

God-like entities are loving boring on top of that too.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

GobiasIndustries posted:

who was that kid who killed himself in the woods and how did he and his girlfriend hook into the plot? I remember seeing him but I don't remember why he mattered.

He was Shelly's son in law

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

This season began with a sequence of lingering images lacking the context for the audience to understand, gradually built up that context, and then ended with a new sequence of lingering images lacking the context for the audience to understand.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Low Desert Punk posted:

What mystery are you referring to exactly? Also, wrapping things up is not the same as explaining everything in the process.

What exactly is "wrapping things up", in your opinion? The Return ends in a moment of complete confusion. If Lord of the Rings is the most wrapped up a story can get with every character getting their little send-off, then this was very un-wrapped up.

Supercar Gautier posted:

This season began with a sequence of lingering images lacking the context for the audience to understand, gradually built up that context, and then ended with a new sequence of lingering images lacking the context for the audience to understand.

Basically this, yeah. Not necessarily a bad thing, but unless you have some deconstructivist notion of the term "wrapped up" I don't think this qualifies.

GobiasIndustries posted:

He was just some junkie, and the one girlfriend was Shelly's daugther and the other one was Donna's sister. I don't think they hooked into anything in particular.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's the point. Cooper will get caught up solving these riddles and mysteries only to become trapped again in new mysteries forever. He's the orb rolling around the infinity symbol.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I expected not everything would be resolved but I certainly didn't expect *that* for the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Whole lotta orbs on this show