Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

And More posted:

He was just some junkie, and the one girlfriend was Shelly's daugther and the other one was Donna's sister. I don't think they hooked into anything in particular.

So he was just around to ruin other people and then kill himself? Good metaphor for life, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Odessa, Texas is home to the world's largest jack rabbit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even though Cooper is a well meaning guy that genuinely wants to help people and seems to change whatever individuals he runs into for the better, he can't bring about that change on a macro level. The world is still an overall lovely place.

Like, Cooper couldn't save Stephen from killing himself. Richard Horne still grew up without a real father and fell into a bad crowd.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

That's the point. Cooper will get caught up solving these riddles and mysteries only to become trapped again in new mysteries forever. He's the orb rolling around the infinity symbol.

This only seems to be the point of the final episode, if anything. Cooper wasn't exactly super involved in most of this season to begin with. What's the point of all the other things that happened?

What was the point of the screaming dude in the cell?

And More fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 4, 2017

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

CJacobs posted:

For the people who were wondering about who the actress playing Mrs. Tremond is: She's not an actress, it's the lady who actually owns the house in real life.

that explains the sub par acting

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

Like, Cooper couldn't save Stephen from killing himself.

It's ok, I think we are all glad of that at least

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It's funny the way people were complaining about the driving scenes in the finale I was prepping for like 10 mins straight of driving in silence and it never happened.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The moral is, the best you can do is act on your base desires with complete naivete (Dougie). The moment you try to understand or manipulate the universe, you're instantly and profoundly doomed

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

No Mods No Masters posted:

Whole lotta orbs on this show

:orb:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The moral is, the best you can do is act on your base desires with complete naivete (Dougie). The moment you try to understand or manipulate the universe, you're instantly and profoundly doomed

What about Hawk, who understands more about the universe than anyone else on the whole cast but doesn't get disappeared or go insane or ruin the world?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'd be down for a Dougie spinoff season. :shobon:

CJacobs posted:

What about Hawk, who understands more about the universe than anyone else on the whole cast but doesn't get disappeared or go insane or ruin the world?

He knows not to gently caress with that stuff. That's why when Cooper enters the lodge, Hawk is nowhere to be seen.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CJacobs posted:

He gets to listen to the log lady get old and die miserably. He too would have been happier as a low animal, a beast without reason

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Hawks minds his own business.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Just got to the end of the finale and man I really like that. I don't get it, its a fine ending to either continue off of or to just leave it on. Dale clearly failed in his mission there and the disheartening look on his face as he realized it when talked to Mrs Tremond was really well done.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
)-:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

CJacobs posted:

Hawk knows stories and legends, not the reality of what they entail. Knowing about the concept of the Black Lodge is very different from experiencing it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Even though Cooper is a well meaning guy that genuinely wants to help people and seems to change whatever individuals he runs into for the better, he can't do bring about that change on a macro level. The world is still an overall lovely place.

Like, Cooper couldn't save Stephen from killing himself.

It's a lovely place but that doesn't mean good people like Cooper can't try. He has succeeded more often than not in events he was an active participant. And while he gets in over his head, especially in this season, its with the help of others that things turn out OK.

It's why I don't agree with all the endless cycle/nightmare theories because it delves down into fatalism and, in some, nihilism. Up to that point, this show has been anything but, which is why the ending is so... jarring to me. It kind of runs contrary to how I saw the series up to that point.

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:
I don't think it was a dream, I think there are 2 realites and Cooper passed between them in his quest to find Laura. He did this by traveling with Mike through whatever they walked through. The house "Richard" found Laura in was the same one Matthew Lillard and his wife got called to by major briggs. it is a lodge house/portal, i think it is a black lodge given the dirty hairy men hanging around in Gordon Cole's dimension. At one point in the finale when we are in the white lodge ( i assume it is the white lodge b/c garland briggs and the fireman are both here) the fireman seems to be viewing a slide show of places we know are portals/lodges, and the Palmer house comes up. At the very end as they are in front of the "not palmer house" we can hear the faint whisper "Laura" in Sarah Palmer's voice before Laura screams. I'm pretty sure this Laura has been kept in this dimension by black lodge entities and when she gets close enough to a white lodge portal (her house) it awakens her and reminds her who she really is. why is she a prisoner you ask? Because she is the one as the fireman put it. what that means i don't know. I think it was Leland (right after Bob left him and he was crying ) who mentioned that the black lodge entities were trying to get into Laura but she wouldn't let them and she was strong at resisting them so maybe the black lodge spirits are keeping her there because she could actually end all of them somehow. Also Mrs. Tremont is the old lady with the magician grand son, both confirmed lodge spirits. so it would make sense that they have residence in the palmer house portal.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And More posted:

Just from a literal plot perspective his point is to annoy the gently caress out of Chad.

Chad trying to break out, murder Andy etc. when he did is what causes One Punch Man to break out when he did to stop Chad, which puts him in position to help everyone fight Mr. C.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

And More posted:

To be incredibly disconcerting and hard to look at, I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the screen whenever a shot cut to him.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I can't get it out of my head that the girl scrawling and screaming in the roadhouse is really similar to Laura screaming. I can't really find a clear connection though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"The possibility that love is not enough" turned out to be fearsomely meaningful.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
My struggle right now is that, in this show, we learned the lesson of don't gently caress with extra-dimensional beings who may or may not represent emotional longings at the end of S2 and at the end of S3 it's just a confirmation of yep, you should have not hosed with extra-dimensional beings to fix your emotional issues.

I've adored S3 but that's a tough ending to hang on. I've loved so many scenes this season but if this is the end, what was the point?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Jimbot posted:

It's a lovely place but that doesn't mean good people like Cooper can't try. He has succeeded more often than not in events he was an active participant. And while he gets in over his head, especially in this season, its with the help of others that things turn out OK.

It's why I don't agree with all the endless cycle/nightmare theories because it delves down into fatalism and, in some, nihilism. Up to that point, this show has been anything but, which is why the ending is so... jarring to me. It kind of runs contrary to how I saw the series up to that point.

From the present? Yes. From the past? I don't think so.

My understanding of Buddhism is tremendously, laughably limited, but this strikes me as a view perfectly in line with Lynch's meditative practices. The past is gone - let go of it.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
*Plays "Blue Frank" on endless repeat*

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Odessa, Texas is home to the world's largest jack rabbit.

finally, the last piece is in place

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In all seriousness, I do think Dougie wraps around to being the point of it all. In a horrible world full of horrible poo poo, the best you can do is keep your head down, enjoy the simple things, and follow your intuition. Beyond that you're probably not going to do much more than cause yourself and others pain, one way or another.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

not sure what all the confusion is about, they spelled it all out online

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

We never found out what the addict girl with the kid screaming “119” was about, did we?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

And More posted:

What exactly is "wrapping things up", in your opinion? The Return ends in a moment of complete confusion. If Lord of the Rings is the most wrapped up a story can get with every character getting their little send-off, then this was very un-wrapped up.

I think we just have a disagreement on what "wrapping things up" means. For me, it means that the basic narrative arc was completed. Cooper's naivete and good heart leading him even further away from where he started, and that the lodge spirits will continue to cause pain as long as we produce garmonbozia for them.

If that LOTR style of plot resolution is something you enjoy, obviously this show doesn't provide that, but that's a matter of taste. I know I certainly don't.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jimbot posted:

I mean, there's always been a sense of fatalism here. The whole Laura Palmer storyline in the original series and especially FWWM kind of relies on it. It's cynical and a bitter message but its always been a part of the series IMO.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 4, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

We never found out what the addict girl with the kid screaming “119” was about, did we?

It doesn't matter. That's the point. It's bleak and it doesn't matter because it's not you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it no joke must be incredible to be a creative person who lacks the ability to give a poo poo what people think of your work

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:

And More posted:

i think the "drunk" was another doppelganger, all he did was repeat what everyone else said, and he was strangely deteriorating. That or he was just a crazy drug addict hooked on the twin peak's bath salts.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

the suffering of upset fans is my garmonbozia

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

FauxLeather posted:

Right now the biggest plot thread I want tied up is; those deep fried guns, did they or didn't their bullets go off...??

Deep fried guns are the new box of spiders. Never thought that would be a sentence anybody would ever utter but well, here we are

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

From the present? Yes. From the past? I don't think so.

My understanding of Buddhism is tremendously, laughably limited, but this strikes me as a view perfectly in line with Lynch's meditative practices. The past is gone - let go of it.

Yeah, but who says he's working to fix the past? Cooper was clearly on to something or else we wouldn't have had the shot of Sarah going apeshit on Laura's picture. Laura looks like she's the antithesis to Mother. Cooper was taking her home when Laura disappeared, thanks to Mother interfering. So he went where she went and took her home.

I don't think the thread is giving Cooper enough credit. He's doing things that these entities aren't liking and I think he's succeeding in it. He falters and only when he's alone did he outright fail (at the end of season 2) but the finale, something happened and I don't think it was something bad (for him or Laura). He brought her home and she crashed the entire illusion or reality or whatever it was.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

it no joke must be incredible to be a creative person who lacks the ability to give a poo poo what people think of your work

I think Lynch does care, he just doesn't allow it to shape how he makes his art. There isn't a lot of fanservice in this season, but there's enough there to show that he wanted to make us at least somewhat happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This is the real Dark Tower adaptation.