Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Blockhouse posted:

it no joke must be incredible to be a creative person who lacks the ability to give a poo poo what people think of your work

I imagine it's rather freeing to not have to worry about whether or not your work is good enough for people to understand or appreciate. It explains the immense amount of paintings Lynch has done over the years, not to mention everything else he's created..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

el oso posted:

What Fireman tells Coop:
It's in our house now
It cannot be said aloud
Richard and Linda
Two birds with one stone
Cooper is far away

Do we actually know for sure what any of these mean besides the 430?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Well that was a wild ride. Overall, I think I'm pretty content. I just see ep 17 as the true ending for the series and ep 18 as wacky Lynch stuff which I enjoyed for it being wacky lynch stuff.

The theory that the ending sequence is just a nightmare Laura had on the night that she would've otherwise died on in the original timeline seems pretty spot on to me. It kind of makes sense logically (Sarah's voice clip is from the pilot) and it doesn't really diminish the rest of the show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Reminder that one of Lynch's paintings involved attaching dead birds onto a canvas with paint.

He's kind of weird.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I sort of didn't expect Twin Peaks to turn out to be a bone-chilling cautionary tale but it makes sense in retrospect.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jimbot posted:

It's a lovely place but that doesn't mean good people like Cooper can't try. He has succeeded more often than not in events he was an active participant. And while he gets in over his head, especially in this season, its with the help of others that things turn out OK.

It's why I don't agree with all the endless cycle/nightmare theories because it delves down into fatalism and, in some, nihilism. Up to that point, this show has been anything but, which is why the ending is so... jarring to me. It kind of runs contrary to how I saw the series up to that point.

People have also said that about the finale of season two. I think episode 18 specifically is more like Takashi Miike's Izo in that Cooper is simply willpower personified. They drop him off at some point, and he tries and fails. Then the whole thing begins again. Neither he nor the loop breaks, but it goes on indefinitely, so you can't really be sure. It's neither optimistic nor pessimistic.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I think we just have a disagreement on what "wrapping things up" means. For me, it means that the basic narrative arc was completed. Cooper's naivete and good heart leading him even further away from where he started, and that the lodge spirits will continue to cause pain as long as we produce garmonbozia for them.

If that LOTR style of plot resolution is something you enjoy, obviously this show doesn't provide that, but that's a matter of taste. I know I certainly don't.

Sure. :shrug: This wasn't really about my enjoyment to begin with, so I don't know why that's part of your argument. I just wanted to point out that Lynch can totally "wrap things up" as proven by like half his filmography. Not every Lynch project ends like Twin Peaks did.

pope archibald posted:

i think the "drunk" was another doppelganger, all he did was repeat what everyone else said, and he was strangely deteriorating. That or he was just a crazy drug addict hooked on the twin peak's bath salts.

That's not really what I mean. Does he serve any purpose other than to annoy Chad?

And More fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 4, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thinking about it now I don't feel like it's that pessimistic or horrible of an ending, aside from where the characters end up. The lesson to the audience is, if anything, about how much easier it is to be happy. It's way easier to be Dougie than it is to be Cooper; in fact you have to actively and strenuously resist being Dougie to be Cooper.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I haven't felt this way at the end of a piece of media since I saw Tati's Trafic.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Holy moly - this actually makes SO much sense

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6xxxfd/s3e18_4chan_cracked_the_ending_already/

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I know that Alice Tremond is not played by the singer from Chromatics, but they literally have identical haircuts and eye colors and they're wearing the exact same blouse. Lynch reused Chromatics a couple times in the Roadhouse, so I don't think it's that weird to assume that he made Alice Tremond look like the singer from Chromatics just like how he cast his musician buddy Chrysta Bell as Tammy.

I feel like she was played by the woman who owns that house in real life (I saw her in an article posted here before, but I could be remembering completely wrong).

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

this is dumb as poo poo.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

Turdfuzz posted:

the suffering of upset fans is my garmonbozia

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
Do you think Lynch gave us two endings, like ep 17 is one and ep 18 is another?

I prefer ep 17 as the true ending of Cooper saving Laura.

Also thought it was interesting that Diane looked like the Blue Rose lady from FWWM.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This is dumb. If its true, what the meaning of her dream,and why do lodge spirits own her house in it? This is some M. Knight Shamalan garbage.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Turdfuzz posted:

the suffering of upset fans is my garmonbozia

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Remember when people thought Cooper was going to go home to his family and send his Tulpa to work at the FBI or something?

Haha

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Good Will Hrunting posted:

this is dumb as poo poo.

Seriously, for an 18-episode show, that poo poo is way too convenient. None of these theories take any of the previous episodes into consideration. It's all just based on the last hour.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Remember when people thought Cooper was going to go home to his family and send his Tulpa to work at the FBI or something?

Haha

I totally called him being less caring after 25 years. The guy doesn't even take the time to drink his coffee anymore.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Also, Cooper rescuing her from the woods wouldn't actually solve any of Laura's problems. She'd still be at the mercy of BOB/Leland, if she didn't die that night, she'd die soon after.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Good Will Hrunting posted:

this is dumb as poo poo.

You really think so? I think it actually cements a lot of the repeated themes of Dreamers and Living in Dreams throughout the season. It even makes sense as to why it cuts to Sarah's house with her groaning and screeching and smashing the bottle against the picture of Laura repeatedly - the picture remains undamaged despite being carved at by broken glass. Cooper approached her in the FWWM scene, she recognized him from her dreams previously - that scratchy sound happened and she got sucked away (presumably by Judy) into a pocket dream world where she had a different identity, everything was changed etc.

Cooper went there anyway against Diane's warnings that things could change or be different, tried to remind Laura of her true self, and only when she heard her mother's calling outside the house and began screaming did the power shut off and the lights shatter did the dream world start to crumble and she started coming out of her delusion. She was even being kept at a place called Judy's to live out a menial life. Judy was enraged that her poo poo was being hosed with because the lodge spirits had set up quite a nice little operation in the real world farming garmonbozia from the citizens.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Freddie pounded Bob into dust. He won't be bothering anyone anymore.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Also, Cooper rescuing her from the woods wouldn't actually solve any of Laura's problems. She'd still be at the mercy of BOB/Leland, if she didn't die that night, she'd die soon after.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure Cooper was trying to take her to the theatre where the Major's head was chilling out. Laura wasn't actually going back to her earthly home.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I haven't felt this way at the end of a piece of media since I saw Tati's Trafic.

Hell, I'm not sure I've EVER felt this way about a piece of media. I was talking to someone who hasn't watched the show about it, and they asked if it was "like LOST" because it "didn't have an ending." Now, I loved LOST at the time, but that ending feels so conventional compared to this, it's amazing.

I'm infuriated, really. But I love that I'm feeling SOMETHING.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

I think that if the concept of interconnected dream worlds and higher dimensions holds up, that the lodge spirits kind of transcend that poo poo - when Freddie destroys Bob, he's gone for good, in any timeline or alternate universe.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
That sex scene was terrifying.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If that's the homes real owner, maybe they just teleported into the real world.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cooper is Rick Sanchez.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the end Laura Palmer was Cooper's obsession, his siren, who lured him to his own doom and the doom of innumerable innocents and bystanders. Indeed, he even manages to doom Laura Palmer herself, somehow even more than she was already doomed. He, and perhaps we, would have been better off never taking that case, never opening that door.

In conclusion, David Lynch thinks murders should not be investigated.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Accretionist posted:

the final dossier or whatever is going to be mailed to all Showtime Anytime subscribers homes in physical form

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

That's the loving ending to Twin Peaks?

What a god damned waste this entire season has been.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

pissdude posted:

I think that if the concept of interconnected dream worlds and higher dimensions holds up, that the lodge spirits kind of transcend that poo poo - when Freddie destroys Bob, he's gone for good, in any timeline or alternate universe.

Except we see the interactive flashback to the night Laura died after BOB is destroyed, and we still see a presumably possessed Leland and Laura still mentions stuff tangentially related to BOB's hold over her.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

In the end Laura Palmer was Cooper's obsession, his siren, who lured him to his own doom and the doom of innumerable innocents and bystanders. Indeed, he even manages to doom Laura Palmer herself, somehow even more than she was already doomed. He, and perhaps we, would have been better off never taking that case, never opening that door.

I'm pretty sure it was a happy ending.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The show's ending visual - Cooper trapped endlessly in the whispered secret, forever distressed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Accretionist posted:

Calling it now: Season four will be hours upon hours of Candid Camera-style practical jokes involving Cooper.

You're Michael J. Anderson, aren't you?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the message is more that Cooper is just kind of a lovely detective.

He's basically the guy from the Otto Preminger movie Laura, which hey is also about a dude getting obsessed with and unhealthily idealizing a murder victim named Laura that also turns out to be not quite so dead.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 4, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Cooper will be forever saving Laura.

My prayer is to linger with you/At the end of the day in a dream that's divine

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I forget did that scene between James and Laura happen in the original series or did they young the actors up a bit for it. Couldn't tell if it was new or they were just inserting shots of Cooper into it.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Accretionist posted:

Season 4: Cooper/Richard teams up with 3D CGI Homer Simpson to...uh...take down Judy's Garmonbozia/Erotic Cake cartel?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Diane being transferred from one reality to the other during the sex scene was so unbelievably chilling I can't believe it's real.

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That sex scene was terrifying.

It looked to me like Diane was realizing that after it was over she wasn't going to exist anymore as a result of Cooper teleporting to wherever the hell it is he ended up since I don't think there are any goddamn palm trees in Odessa, Texas. It's in West Texas for chrissakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Diane's entire existence and everything that happens to her is so bleak my brain just kind of bounces off of it tbh