Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

Le Saboteur posted:

I forget did that scene between James and Laura happen in the original series or did they young the actors up a bit for it. Couldn't tell if it was new or they were just inserting shots of Cooper into it.

That scene was from FWWM and edited Cooper into those shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Imagine if Diane's soul got trapped in a tape recorder.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Parkour Lewis posted:

It looked to me like Diane was realizing that after it was over she wasn't going to exist anymore as a result of Cooper teleporting to wherever the hell it is he ended up since I don't think there are any goddamn palm trees in Odessa, Texas. It's in West Texas for chrissakes.

It seemed more to me like what happens to Nikki in INLAND EMPIRE - the fading out of a reality. Feeling his face like that, it's like when Mr C kissed her and she realized it wasn't Cooper, except in reverse. See again the switching of the figure eight that's formed from the Mother shape.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Le Saboteur posted:

I forget did that scene between James and Laura happen in the original series or did they young the actors up a bit for it. Couldn't tell if it was new or they were just inserting shots of Cooper into it.

I believe it happened and it's in FWWM.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It seemed more to me like what happens to Nikki in INLAND EMPIRE - the fading out of a reality. Feeling his face like that, it's like when Mr C kissed her and she realized it wasn't Cooper, except in reverse. See again the switching of the figure eight that's formed from the Mother shape.

Also, was there a significance to that little piece taken out of the figure eight? (There was a little hole, right? Maybe like a tulka orb?)

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.

Mister Mind posted:

Also, was there a significance to that little piece taken out of the figure eight? (There was a little hole, right? Maybe like a tulka orb?)

Seemed more like an infinity sign to me than a figure 8, though admittedly they're identical. I got the impression of the universe being broken.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mister Mind posted:

It's Laura.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Something kind of irked me about having young Laura played by what appeared to be modern Sheryl Lee in a shitload of makeup in the scenes where Cooper is dragging her along through the woods.

For a show that was really good about unsparingly showing the ravages of time on the characters that decision felt a bit... off to me? I dunno, it just struck me as a small dissonant note.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Mister Mind posted:

It seemed to move back and forth. Overall it could be seen to be saying the pieces may move back and forth but the whole remains the same; an infinite loop. The machinations of the otherworldly spirits are complex and their loyalties may seem to shift back and forth but the cycle remains the same.

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
1. The lady (Tremond) at the door of the Palmer house indeed owns it IRL.

2. I loved (almost) everything about this season, even the god damned sweeping scene. I hated it so much that it wrapped around to enjoying the irritation

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I took the "what year is it?" line to be Coop is stuck hopping to random years/infinite dimensions like Jeffries did (though I don't remember if Jeffries hopped dimensions). I hope season 4 is just two giant teapots talking mad poo poo in a single room for an additional 18 episodes.

Mister Mind posted:

I thought it was a visual representation of time and Jeffries was pulling up the exact date Cooper asked for.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 4, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lord Krangdar posted:

It seemed to move back and forth. Overall it could be seen to be saying the pieces may move back and forth but the whole remains the same; an infinite loop. The machinations of the otherworldly spirits are complex and their loyalties may seem to shift back and forth but the cycle remains the same.

Yes.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Have any other Lynch projects had so much focus on numbers and imbuing numbers with ambiguous significance?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

No Mods No Masters posted:

Something kind of irked me about having young Laura played by what appeared to be modern Sheryl Lee in a shitload of makeup in the scenes where Cooper is dragging her along through the woods.

For a show that was really good about unsparingly showing the ravages of time on the characters that decision felt a bit... off to me? I dunno, it just struck me as a small dissonant note.

I think that may be part of the point. It's like bringing a corpse back to life; really unsettling stuff, in hindsight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

Have any other Lynch projects had so much focus on numbers and imbuing numbers with ambiguous significance?
Not off the top of my head, though I may be forgetting or unaware of something.

It really reminded me of Lost, though I'm not sure Lynch ever mentioned having seen that before.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The more I think about it and read others' interpretations elsewhere, Part 18 and the finale start to click.

It's such a completely bleak ending, what with Cooper (who is not really Cooper anymore... something lost between his universe-jumping) and not-Laura "returning" to the world completely out-of-place, the elements that Cooper intended to use to fix and prevent Laura's death in the other universe now totally out of reach.

Ugh.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The whole last episode really poo poo on that idea of turning back time and rescuing Laura, though. So maybe it seemed false because ultimately it was.

Overall that seems to have been the main theme of the season: time moves on inexorably, some things become lost or tarnished, and you can't go back. Only Ed and Norma's long-awaited reunion went against that, but maybe that's because they didn't need to undo the past they just needed to make the best of their remaining present time together.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

oneforthevine posted:

I think that may be part of the point. It's like bringing a corpse back to life; really unsettling stuff, in hindsight.

Yeah, that's a good point actually. Edit: and the above post as well. It's like you're seeing a little window into Cooper's own creepy hubristic delusion of what he's trying to accomplish

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It's such a completely bleak ending, what with Cooper (who is not really Cooper anymore... something lost between his universe-jumping) and not-Laura "returning" to the world completely out-of-place, the elements that Cooper intended to use to fix and prevent Laura's death in the other universe now totally out of reach.

Depressing as it is, that makes sense. Which is a bit of a shame - I was hoping for one of Lynch's more transcendent endings (i.e. Elephant Man or FWWM). I had a bad feeling once Cooper was trying to "undo" Laura's murder. That sort of stuff never works out well.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The more I think about it and read others' interpretations elsewhere, Part 18 and the finale start to click.

Ugh.

This is what happens when you try to get cute with horrific extradimensional beings that feed on pain and sorrow. Mother and the other spirits probably would've let Cooper be, but he had to try and save Laura.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

So assuming we never get a season 4 or other form of official continuation (besides the upcoming book), I'm interpreting that Cooper is on the path to losing his humanity and becoming like Jeffries eventually?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cooper rides two sisters.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Ugh.

I don't understand how Coop finally saving Laura is a bad and bleak ending. The Lodge spirits try one last time to keep their hooks in Laura by pulling her into this alternate reality of mundane suffering at Judy's, where she's a diner waitress, stuck in that role for 25 years, and also a desperate murderer hiding out in her home and fearing for her life. Cooper finds her and convinces her it's fine, and she's safe, and she can go home. At the last second, Mrs Tremond/Chalfont tries to trick Coop into thinking he failed, to give up and walk away, lost forever, but Laura listens to the sounds, hears Sarah calling her, and it all comes back. She screams and the last veil of illusion falls away.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's a happy ending!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cooper probably should have just gone back to Sonny-Jim and Janey-E.

Lmao I just got that Dougie's son is named Jim Jones.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

This is what happens when you try to get cute with horrific extradimensional beings that feed on pain and sorrow. Mother and the other spirits probably would've let Cooper be, but he had to try and save Laura.

Cooper is even explicitly offered a chance to turn around and not enter the full dimensional clusterfuck by Diane; he doesn't even consider the possibility. Full speed ahead, gotta get to exactly 430 miles :downs:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I see the twisting figure 8 as showing two or more similar dimensions. The 8 twists around and has two sides that look identical, but the 8 is still backwards. You can change it, flip it backwards, upside down, whatever, and it still looks like an 8. It may look the same, but physically, it's different. I see it has Cooper being stuck in these different dimensions that, although they ultimately look the same (with the Palmer house, and Laura, etc), they are still different. He's stuck in this nightmare of trying to 'Find Laura', even though Laura doesn't fully exist anymore. So I guess the 8 can also be seen as an infinity. Cooper would be the ball, forever traveling around the infinite 8 and it's many permutations.

You can also see themes of duality in the show with the two Coopers and potentially the two Dianes. It was at least implied that non-tulpa Diane wasn't a chain smoking alcoholic. Maybe all tulpas have negative traits? We see Dougie was a piece of poo poo too before he got turned back into Cooper...

I'm trying to relate the duality back to how Twin Peaks changes with the time but ultimately stays the same, but don't really know how. Eh, it's late.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 4, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Your Parents posted:

I don't understand how Coop finally saving Laura is a bad and bleak ending. The Lodge spirits try one last time to keep their hooks in Laura by pulling her into this alternate reality of mundane suffering at Judy's, where she's a diner waitress, stuck in that role for 25 years, and also a desperate murderer hiding out in her home and fearing for her life. Cooper finds her and convinces her it's fine, and she's safe, and she can go home. At the last second, Mrs Tremond/Chalfont tries to trick Coop into thinking he failed, to give up and walk away, lost forever, but Laura listens to the sounds, hears Sarah calling her, and it all comes back. She screams and the last veil of illusion falls away.

The actual ending shot, though, is:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Cooper trapped endlessly in the whispered secret, forever distressed.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The last ending shot is the mystery of what Laura whispered to Cooper. He's not literally back in that place.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

You can also see themes of duality in the show with the two Coopers and potentially the two Dianes. It was at least implied that non-tulpa Diane wasn't a chain smoking alcoholic. Maybe all tulpas have negative traits? We see Dougie was piece of poo poo too before he got turned back into Cooper...

Well she was a Tulpa of Diane created right around the time that the bad Cooper raped her, and Dougie was a Tulpa of bad Cooper.

Your Parents posted:

The last ending shot is the mystery of what Laura whispered to Cooper. He's not literally back in that place.

I know but the implication of that shot, and everything up to it, was not one of a happy ending. The only happy part of the finale was the portion with the new Dougie and his family.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Your Parents posted:

It's representative of his situation.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

CJacobs posted:

For the people who were wondering about who the actress playing Mrs. Tremond is: She's not an actress, it's the lady who actually owns the house in real life.

It’s all so obvious. Cooper pulled Laura out of the TV show and into our reality.

“Last Action Hero? I bet I could do that same thing.” - David Lynch, right before a heavy dose of mushrooms.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah, that's a good point actually. Edit: and the above post as well. It's like you're seeing a little window into Cooper's own creepy hubristic delusion of what he's trying to accomplish

It's interesting, looking back on it: there was a small part of me during that scene with Cooper in the woods from FWWM that was screaming "You can't DO this!" at the show, because it would have felt...cheap? Wrong? But then I got swept up in the beauty of the whole thing.

Turns out my initial instinct may have been right.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I've seen several people say that the "illusion" breaks or Laura wakes up at the end of the episode, what makes you come to that conclusion? The lights in the house go out, but that could mean any number of things. And Laura suddenly remembering the truth doesn't imply that she can do anything about it, or go back.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The lights in the house go black, and then blackness envelops everything as the world fades away.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Raxivace posted:

Imagine if Diane's soul got trapped in a tape recorder.

Better than getting trapped in a cabinet pull, maybe?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The lights in the house go dark. The screen fades to black. Cooper wakes up in another hotel room in another city. Finds another "Laura Palmer". Rinse, repeat.

Cooper is the dreamer in a dream. He's trapped in the constant nightmare, waking from his own dreams to live another one.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 4, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Cacator posted:

Better than getting trapped in a cabinet pull, maybe?

I'm still sad we never saw what was planned (shot?) for that, which is that she failed to be pulled entirely to the Lodge, leaving her body in the lodge, with her head under the curtain, her consciousness trapped in the wood of the Great Northern.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

The lights in the house go dark. The screen fades to black. Cooper wakes up in another hotel room in another city. Finds another "Laura Palmer". Rinse, repeat.
It's David Lynch's Bioshock: Infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

It's David Lynch's Bioshock: Infinite.

There is always a diner. There is always a Laura. There is always a Twin Peaks.