Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

open24hours posted:

Trends are similar here. http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/1-7-trends-in-the-prevalence-of-smoking-by-socioec

I'm don't think we should get rid of cigarette taxes, but I do think there is scope for some sort of prescription system for low income people who are willing to undertake some sort of quitting program (the difficulty would be ensuring it's a real course and not some JSA tier trash). Christ knows what people are doing to keep smoking. Probably living on chicken nuggets.

We do this in some provinces in Canada. I dont think we have any data on how its working out right now though since its a fairly recent thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sugar should be taxed 1000%

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A federal Liberal MP and former minister may have been elected to Parliament in breach of the constitution after it emerged he had direct financial links with a company awarded millions in government contracts.

But Stuart Robert, the Coalition member for the safe seat of Fadden in Queensland, has refused to detail how his directorship and shareholding in the company did not breach section 44 of the constitution, which forbids MPs from profiting - even indirectly - from the Commonwealth.

whoopsy doodle

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The whole section 44 thing has been a carefully honed trap by the ALP since they started doing due diligence in 1986. Imagine being the person who refuses to give documentation after today? Stuart Robert probably can.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Caleb's brain is still developing

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Can we re-introduce conscription just for Caleb?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If we ban cigarettes where do we then source that revenue from?

I'm assuming y'all wanna legalise weed right?

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/904350226772664320

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

The tweet he's responding to was comparing nuclear stockpiles, does he have no sense at all

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bigis posted:

Why has a sugar tax gotten relatively little attention in Australia? Are there any parties that are considering this at a fed or state level?

You literally lose Qld if you tax sugar, so ALP won't do it. The Nationals would probably break the coalition over it, so the Liberals won't touch it. The Greens are probably the only major party that would, if they could only figure out the press release, so probably not.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
They don't really have 30 of the loving things already do they

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

Good. Don't steal content. It fucks with Australian revenue from all media, which flows into reduced Screen Aus funding and makes it really loving hard to lobby the government who see nothing but industry bottom lines. It puts local producers off side and then as a ~*market force*~ drives down what producers pay local film and tv crew. It damages the ability of industry groups to get things like local offsets for internationals and costs the local industry heavily in experience on major productions, both for crew and actors.

Stealing entertainment is loving stupid.

Buy Australian, steal American. If HBO makes exclusivity deals with Foxtel and isolate themselves from the vast majority of consumers, steal that poo poo to learn 'em they hosed up. Steal it anyway, since copyright is just a patent law loophole. Artists get paid for the work, don't let Disney or Warner rentseek over a bunch of ones and zeroes.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ewe2 posted:

You literally lose Qld if you tax sugar, so ALP won't do it. The Nationals would probably break the coalition over it, so the Liberals won't touch it. The Greens are probably the only major party that would, if they could only figure out the press release, so probably not.
RDN basically said that it was Greens policy for a sugar tax when it was really his own personal policy. It's ok to push out your policies as the parties, but only if you're RDN, clearly.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Taxing sugar would make rural communities sink into the ocean.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Frogfingers posted:

Buy Australian, steal American. If HBO makes exclusivity deals with Foxtel and isolate themselves from the vast majority of consumers, steal that poo poo to learn 'em they hosed up. Steal it anyway, since copyright is just a patent law loophole. Artists get paid for the work, don't let Disney or Warner rentseek over a bunch of ones and zeroes.

The article literally talks about Mad Max and Red Dog being stolen. HBO don't care because they sell the rights to the show to Foxtel, they've already been paid for the show. What then happens is that we don't get HBO GO because there's no reason to sell to Australians because they're demonstrably a pack of thieves.

Do you actually think Warner don't argue for lower payment to crew because of pirates? Do you think a major corporation just goes "oh well" and doesn't try to make the show for less to recoup costs? Do you think that they look anywhere but crew and supports/extras for those savings?

People that steal content don't discern between Aus/US content because they don't give a gently caress and every argument for not buying content from the local provider is incredibly flimsy. If you think not buying a show because gently caress the provider is some noble enterprise, ask a unit guy carrying deck chairs and tarps around set for 16 hours a day and see how cool he thinks you are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also Game of Thrones isn't the only show that has ever been on television. You can access HBO on the foxtel play or go service cheaply to watch a show and the service is fine outside of their delivery of got, which was dog poo poo and should be punished by people seeking refunds for that 6 weeks as I did.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

The article literally talks about Mad Max and Red Dog being stolen. HBO don't care because they sell the rights to the show to Foxtel, they've already been paid for the show. What then happens is that we don't get HBO GO because there's no reason to sell to Australians because they're demonstrably a pack of thieves.

Or if you were interested in actually running a business, you could take this as a sign that the market is under serviced. This approach worked for a platform like Steam.

Also wasn't Red Dog funded by Rio Tinto or something?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Might want to chuck that hot take in the microwave for a few more minutes.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

Do you actually think Warner don't argue for lower payment to crew because of pirates? Do you think a major corporation just goes "oh well" and doesn't try to make the show for less to recoup costs? Do you think that they look anywhere but crew and supports/extras for those savings?

People that steal content don't discern between Aus/US content because they don't give a gently caress and every argument for not buying content from the local provider is incredibly flimsy. If you think not buying a show because gently caress the provider is some noble enterprise, ask a unit guy carrying deck chairs and tarps around set for 16 hours a day and see how cool he thinks you are.
Help deal with corporate gouging by...submitting to corporate gouging?

Also lol if anyone thinks Red Dog is a hugely popular movie to download.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Warner are going to argue for lower wages to crew no matter what

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

Or if you were interested in actually running a business, you could take this as a sign that the market is under serviced. This approach worked for a platform like Steam.

Also wasn't Red Dog funded by Rio Tinto or something?

They shot on location at a Rio company and were given free accommodation, food and whatever. Woss and Screen Aus put up $6m or so and the rest was from smaller contributors.

The market isn't really under serviced. You can buy just about everything and watch it day one, but some people prefer to steal it. You can buy more or less every new to video film on Google Play or wait 2 weeks and rent it for 6 bucks. People don't like to pay for movies though, because why should they.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I guess what I'm saying is that you can either be iTunes or Spotify and sell people what they want, or you can be a rent seeking dinosaur that tries to stop people ripping their CDs to MP3.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Except that Foxtel play is a heap of poo poo that crashed when people tries to watch game of thrones on it and lol if you think that expecting people to wait until the conclusion of topical TV shows before watching them is "convenient".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Can we re-introduce conscription just for Caleb?

:yeah:

Combat Corps in the army mind you. Not some support role where he doesn't need to regularly pass a CFT. DEFINITELY not Navy or RAAF. We want him to sweat a bit.

Load his pack up with rocks and see how long he lasts before his spine fucks up.

Also make his home unit remote bush where the internet is more of a concept than a reality.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Help deal with corporate gouging by...submitting to corporate gouging?

Also lol if anyone thinks Red Dog is a hugely popular movie to download.

Mad Max isn't? It isn't cool for anyone to download an Australian film with a $9m budget either.

hiddenmovement posted:

Warner are going to argue for lower wages to crew no matter what

Wow no poo poo, really? I will bear this in mind the next time I am on the phone with them. I would prefer they didn't have a gently caress ton of free kicks thanks to this and location offsets being dogshit though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

please let nuclear hellfire engulf us all amen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

Except that Foxtel play is a heap of poo poo that crashed when people tries to watch game of thrones on it and lol if you think that expecting people to wait until the conclusion of topical TV shows before watching them is "convenient".

It buffered a lot for me and I got a refund for 6 weeks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Synthbuttrange posted:

please let nuclear hellfire engulf us all amen.

hail ss-18 may his passage cleanse the earth

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is legal precedent set by the Dallas Buyers Club. They can only recover damages equal to the cost of a DVD.

Obviously they can try and extort more but anyone who knows about that case can and should laugh. This is Australia - there is ZERO shame among anyone who knows what a torrent is, at all levels of society. Nobody would think worse of a "pirate". In fact people would probably ask if you wanted to exchange downloads.

Oh Village. Trying to salvage your business model in the digital age :allears:

Disclaimer - I don't download movies because I don't give a gently caress about doing it. But I don't think worse of anyone who does either. More power to people who dislike the hosed distribution chains and Australia taxes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol at giving Murdoch any money. Get the gently caress out of here.

Pirate the gently caress you want. Go hog wild. Hopefully the morons will get the clue and get rid of lovely restrictive media controls here and allow better streaming services.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that you can either be iTunes or Spotify and sell people what they want, or you can be a rent seeking dinosaur that tries to stop people ripping their CDs to MP3.

Spotify is apparently horrible for artists, but I don't know a lot about music distribution.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

I am that loving guy. I'll coil a cable over/under, figure 8, any way you like. I wear a second belt just for different colour tape. The film industry currently is a pyramid scheme and needs to go the gently caress away.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure the people behind media controls hate the digital age and wish everything was still tape reels so they could control access.

If they could they would also ban DVDs, CDs, records, VHS and home playable media of any form. Make you pay top dollar to attend cinemas and performances only.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

lol at giving Murdoch any money. Get the gently caress out of here.

Pirate the gently caress you want. Go hog wild. Hopefully the morons will get the clue and get rid of lovely restrictive media controls here and allow better streaming services.

We have a dearth of international film coming in after Aquaman and the government can't be convinced to fund location offsets at an international standard unless they can see that the industry is worth putting money into for them. Pirating international films and tv always has an effect on this and that's why it makes me really angry.

We have some of the best crews on earth and pirating international media affects them negatively. If you are genuinely destitute do what you want I guess, but if you can afford to buy something you should buy it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Frogfingers posted:

I am that loving guy. I'll coil a cable over/under, figure 8, any way you like. I wear a second belt just for different colour tape. The film industry currently is a pyramid scheme and needs to go the gently caress away.

I don't understand your take on this but want to hear it.

Also the industry should be different and I want it to be, but so much of the funding is government based anything that can be done to get them to even take a passing interest in a proper funding model would be good. Pirating just gives them a whopping great amount of missed tax revenue to complain about and it makes me want to stab someone.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 4, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

We have a dearth of international film coming in after Aquaman and the government can't be convinced to fund location offsets at an international standard unless they can see that the industry is worth putting money into for them. Pirating international films and tv always has an effect on this and that's why it makes me really angry.

We have some of the best crews on earth and pirating international media affects them negatively. If you are genuinely destitute do what you want I guess, but if you can afford to buy something you should buy it.

Frogfingers posted:

Nice work, JBP. But then again....

JBP posted:

I don't know a lot

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

DancingShade posted:

Combat Corps in the army mind you. Not some support role where he doesn't need to regularly pass a CFT. DEFINITELY not Navy or RAAF. We want him to sweat a bit.

Load his pack up with rocks and see how long he lasts before his spine fucks up.

Also make his home unit remote bush where the internet is more of a concept than a reality.

and confiscate the stash of royals pics he keeps under his cot

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Nice work, JBP. But then again....

I've very clearly explained why piracy rates are important to getting location offsets (and paying crew properly) and want to hear his side. I agreed the model is hosed, but piracy affects industry funding. You went and cut up another post about music.

Also come back and talk to me when you've had some production fuckwit screaming in your face for fifteen minutes about pirates and that's why he's trying to bully crew out of claiming their 6th day allowances.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 4, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also please join MEAA and DM me unit dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Caleb receives a medical exemption from serving due to acne.

• Locked thread