Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are definitely wall-mounted or cabinet-mounted drainers, but that faucet is so high. It's easy to replace faucets if that's something you're open to.

Another option is closing off the right two burners and using them as counter space. I have an NYC apartment with even less counter space, and that's what I've ended up doing. Yours looks like a five-burner stove -- how often do you actually use 4+ burners at the same time? Has it ever happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Paper plates.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

This is what happens when contractors are also the designers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FatalTheGod posted:

Hoping someone has some insight on this as this has been driving my girlfriend and I crazy! We recently moved into a new apartment in NYC, and we love to cook. However the counter layout of the kitchen has made setting up a dish/drying rack less than ideal (and we don't have a dishwasher).

So far we have considered...
- Over the sink racks, but the faucet is too tall and cabinets are too low for anything meaningful.
- Laying out a drying mat on the stove, but if we are cooking at the same time this becomes impossible.
- Putting out a dish rack on the counter opposite the stove (or opposite the sink on a cart), but this means moving wet dishes a decent distance and most likely making a mess.

The small slivers of counter space on each side of the sink at 5.5", so a bit thin for the foot print of most vertical dish racks.

I know these are the problems that come with apartment living, but does anyone have any clever ideas or suggestions? Any low profile wall-mounted dish racks you've seen? Clever repurposed items that would work in this situation?

As mentioned this has been driving us crazy and I feel like I've exhausted all my options, so hopefully a fresh set of eyes could help :)

Apartment hunting time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FatalTheGod posted:

Hoping someone has some insight on this as this has been driving my girlfriend and I crazy! We recently moved into a new apartment in NYC, and we love to cook. However the counter layout of the kitchen has made setting up a dish/drying rack less than ideal (and we don't have a dishwasher).

So far we have considered...
- Over the sink racks, but the faucet is too tall and cabinets are too low for anything meaningful.
- Laying out a drying mat on the stove, but if we are cooking at the same time this becomes impossible.
- Putting out a dish rack on the counter opposite the stove (or opposite the sink on a cart), but this means moving wet dishes a decent distance and most likely making a mess.

The small slivers of counter space on each side of the sink at 5.5", so a bit thin for the foot print of most vertical dish racks.

I know these are the problems that come with apartment living, but does anyone have any clever ideas or suggestions? Any low profile wall-mounted dish racks you've seen? Clever repurposed items that would work in this situation?

As mentioned this has been driving us crazy and I feel like I've exhausted all my options, so hopefully a fresh set of eyes could help :)

Take measurements and see what fits:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20213835/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80213173/

These might barely fit to the right of your sink if you don't mind them overhanging the sink:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10018194/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/36980400/

wormil posted:

This is what happens when contractors are also the designers.

AnonSpore posted:

Apartment hunting time

It's New York.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I would set a washbasin on the burners to the left, fill with soapy water, rinse in the regular sink, and then hand the dishes to someone to dry immediately, thus negating the need for a drying rack.

Conversely, you could set up a little tiny table next to the sink (against the wall) and put a drying rack on top of it with a bunch of towels under.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

If you have the space you could get a portable dishwasher and then just hand dry anything you have to hand wash.

FatalTheGod
Oct 11, 2005
All great suggestions (aside from moving - we've only been in the apartment 4 days!). I never thought about blocking off 2 of the burners. Right now I'm thinking that may be the right move - close off the 2 burners closest to the sink, and then place a dish rack on there when it's time to do dishes/let them dry.

And yes, unfortunately the kitchen seems to be the least thought of room in an NYC apartment. I like to think we've done a good job setting it up (these pictures were before we moved in) but this issue seems to be the one we haven't been able to solve.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
How about putting a dish rack inside the cupboard above the sink? I've seen solutions like that, with an opening in the bottom of the cupboard so the water can drain into the sink, in summer cottages with miniscule kitchens over here.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's my daughter's third birthday on Sunday, and one of the things she wants to eat is a load of hummus with slices of bell pepper to dip: can I slice the peppers on Saturday night and keep them in the fridge until Sunday morning, or will they be ruined?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Scientastic posted:

It's my daughter's third birthday on Sunday, and one of the things she wants to eat is a load of hummus with slices of bell pepper to dip: can I slice the peppers on Saturday night and keep them in the fridge until Sunday morning, or will they be ruined?
I slice bell peppers and keep them in the fridge for days to give my kids for lunch during the week. They'll be fine.

Edit: unless some bell pepper purist chimes in and tells me they're not, in which case, I will continue to do so, because they're fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah they should be fine if you cover them or seal them in a tupperware

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

rgocs posted:

I slice bell peppers and keep them in the fridge for days to give my kids for lunch during the week. They'll be fine.

Edit: unless some bell pepper purist chimes in and tells me they're not, in which case, I will continue to do so, because they're fine.

I think it's awesome your kids will eat peppers for lunch.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If I even spawn a child and they want hummus for third birthday, I'll start believing in a diety

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I have a slow cooker and about 4 lbs of chicken thighs. Tell me your favorite way to combine them.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just a shout-out to whoever recommended Reinhart's American Pie. I just used the Pizza Americana dough to make some awesome pizzas. Made one white using the sauce and ricotta recipes from Serious Eats, one regular pepperoni, one pepperoni and half sausage and jalapeños. Also used a dough ball to make some garlic cheese sticks. Everyone seemed to like them, and they took some home.

I know less is more with toppings, but I was too excited to have it turn out right that I got caught up in the moment.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

QuarkMartial posted:

Just a shout-out to whoever recommended Reinhart's American Pie. I just used the Pizza Americana dough to make some awesome pizzas. Made one white using the sauce and ricotta recipes from Serious Eats, one regular pepperoni, one pepperoni and half sausage and jalapeños. Also used a dough ball to make some garlic cheese sticks. Everyone seemed to like them, and they took some home.

I know less is more with toppings, but I was too excited to have it turn out right that I got caught up in the moment.

Nice! Homemade pizza is always a treat and those look great for first efforts.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Klaus Kinski posted:

I have a slow cooker and about 4 lbs of chicken thighs. Tell me your favorite way to combine them.

I make pressure cooker chicken thighs all the time either with onions and curry, or onions and citrus, or onions and spicy. Hmm, maybe I need some recipes too. I'd just end up throwing a bunch of onions in anyway.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

wormil posted:

I make pressure cooker chicken thighs all the time either with onions and curry, or onions and citrus, or onions and spicy. Hmm, maybe I need some recipes too. I'd just end up throwing a bunch of onions in anyway.

Curry sounds like a great idea. How little effort can I put into this? Just brown the skin and throw them in or remove it first?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Klaus Kinski posted:

Curry sounds like a great idea. How little effort can I put into this? Just brown the skin and throw them in or remove it first?

I've only done skinless chicken but have used turkey wings and left the skin on, browned it first. The skin will be soft obviously but it tastes fine. If you want to remove the skin later, it falls right off. This is the specific recipe I use but there are lots of them out there:
http://www.fagoramerica.com/my_fago..._chicken_thighs

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My fridge is too full of jelly to fit the sliced peppers, will they survive in a sealed container on a shelf?

Edit: doesn't matter, I've made the decision and gone out, alea iacta est

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 2, 2017

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

wormil posted:

I've only done skinless chicken but have used turkey wings and left the skin on, browned it first. The skin will be soft obviously but it tastes fine. If you want to remove the skin later, it falls right off. This is the specific recipe I use but there are lots of them out there:
http://www.fagoramerica.com/my_fago..._chicken_thighs

My plan was shred the meat right off the bone to create a pulled chicken curry thing.

Eh, thighs are basically free so I'll just try it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I cut them in chunks but shredding would work.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Sauce recommendation.

I'm making a main dish of brown rice, toasted pumpkin seeds, and roast broccoli. This isn't from a recipe; it's just improvising.

It sounds tasty but a bit dry. What's a decent sauce to put on it? I could do plain old soy sauce, or soy/sesame oil? Maybe a thai peanut sauce? How hard is that to make?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
A romanesco sauce sounds like it would be a great fit for that meal!

Edit - or something dairy based like a huge dollop of sour cream with some herbs mixed in.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Bagheera posted:

Sauce recommendation.

I'm making a main dish of brown rice, toasted pumpkin seeds, and roast broccoli. This isn't from a recipe; it's just improvising.

It sounds tasty but a bit dry. What's a decent sauce to put on it? I could do plain old soy sauce, or soy/sesame oil? Maybe a thai peanut sauce? How hard is that to make?

For an easy peanut sauce use a hand blender and mix up peanut butter, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, fresh lime juice, cilantro, and sriracha.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I want decent pots/pans. I have a cast iron, and a couple good knives (chef and pairing and ulu), but I have 1 big rear end soup pot that is good, all my other pots and pans suck. $200ish budget, if anyone has just some stellar recommendation, if not here's what I've been seeing:

https://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Resist...chen%2Bset&th=1

It seems like it fits all my needs, it's oven safe and dishwasher safe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nonstick cookware tends to peel off after a few years, so if you don't want to have to rebuy cookware in a few years maybe get this one instead

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P...otAL&ref=plSrch

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Agree 100% about needing to replace non-stick but I have one of those T-fal teflon skillets, only for eggs and fish, and it is the best teflon skillet I've ever owned. Just make sure you get the ones with riveted on handles like the picture. The T-fal with bolted on handle is thinner aluminum and the bottom will warp as it heats. But for general purpose, good stainless is tough to beat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why exactly do we sear protein? I understand that there's the need for a crust to form on the surface, and something about caramelization, but I've heard explanations for it ranging from "locking the juices in" to "getting a nice fond on the bottom of the pan".

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Pollyanna posted:

Why exactly do we sear protein? I understand that there's the need for a crust to form on the surface, and something about caramelization, but I've heard explanations for it ranging from "locking the juices in" to "getting a nice fond on the bottom of the pan".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction is reason number one

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Going to make the Food Wishes Chili Colorado, but I couldn't find any Chuck, so I got country ribs instead. Figured it was close enough. Is this a terrible idea or will it be edible? :v:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

FatalTheGod posted:

All great suggestions (aside from moving - we've only been in the apartment 4 days!). I never thought about blocking off 2 of the burners. Right now I'm thinking that may be the right move - close off the 2 burners closest to the sink, and then place a dish rack on there when it's time to do dishes/let them dry.

And yes, unfortunately the kitchen seems to be the least thought of room in an NYC apartment. I like to think we've done a good job setting it up (these pictures were before we moved in) but this issue seems to be the one we haven't been able to solve.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Dish racks are the tool of the devil, and I loving hate them so much. They end up sitting there, with the dishes in them permanently, and the bottom gets gross and infested with mold and other horrible things, and GOD DAMNIT I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

At home, I cover the burners with towels, and set my dishes to dry atop those. Then, as soon as they're dry they get put away, because if I don't, I am not going to be able to cook until it's cleared off. The thing with tiny spaces is that you have to force yourself to be vigilant about letting poo poo get out of hand. My apartment in Jersey City is even more tiny than any I had in Manhattan, so I need to be super careful about how I use my space. I have exactly /one/ drawer in the kitchen.

That means that anything with a hole is getting hung up on the wall. The drawer houses things that don't have a hole and thereby cannot be hung up on the walls. All clothing gets hung up in the closet on hangers, with the exception of underwear and socks. Those get folded neatly, and put into storage containers that fit into my closet. The one thing I /do/ have plenty of is cabinets, so I'm pretty careful to put things away into the cabinets. I bought an extra rack for my freezer, so that it can be neatly arranged in there. That way, I have space to throw a large thing into there that I need to freeze, while still having space for my frozen veg, frozen fruit, curry leaves, etc.

Atop the tiny rear end counter lives my rice cooker (it gets used daily), the Vitamix, the toaster oven, and the cuisinart. Everything else gets put away into the capacious cabinetry. Whenever I'm at a friend's home who lives in NYC, I'm endlessly amazed at how much space gets wasted on poo poo like dish drying racks, little caddies for mugs and poo poo, and all kind of other random poo poo that never gets used. You don't live in the suburbs, Linda. It's time to make some loving space.

Seriously, it is so much nicer to have things put away. If it means that you end up actually drying dishes with a towel as you wash them, that's cool too. I just don't have the patience for doing it, so I found that the over the stove method works really well. Best part is that the back of the stove lets you prop up the dishes so that they drain off into the towels. Everything is usually dried nicely in an hour or so, and it's dead simple to put away.

You kitchen looks lovely!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Pollyanna posted:

You don't actually need to. Poached fish, poached chicken breasts, those are things. Give them a try and see how they are. Searing just creates a different taste.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can I get some tips on cooking chicken? I've been using my brothers foreman grill, he cooked some the other day for me, then I did some myself tonight and the chicken seems a little....tough. I don't think I'm overcooking it(planning on getting a meat thermometer). Both times I cooked it from raw(not frozen) first time were boneless skinless breast and the second time was tenderloins. Should I just learn how to use a skillet or whatever? I work a ton of hours so being time efficient is fairly important to me. Most of the time I'm cooking I'm doing it for meal prep as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
When you say tough, is it dry or juicy? I've had chicken breast that was tough even when cooked properly, sometimes in the same package with breasts that are tender. If it's tough to stick a fork in before cooking, it will be tough after. I'm talking about sauteing. Pounding them out might help, but I never do that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chicken tenderloins on the grill overcook if you look away for a few seconds anyway. They're pretty thin, and low in fat content, so easy to dry out. I prefer to marinate and bake chicken given the choice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Can I get some tips on cooking chicken? I've been using my brothers foreman grill, he cooked some the other day for me, then I did some myself tonight and the chicken seems a little....tough. I don't think I'm overcooking it(planning on getting a meat thermometer). Both times I cooked it from raw(not frozen) first time were boneless skinless breast and the second time was tenderloins. Should I just learn how to use a skillet or whatever? I work a ton of hours so being time efficient is fairly important to me. Most of the time I'm cooking I'm doing it for meal prep as well.

That thing is basically a lot like a panini press, right? I would pound the chicken breasts thin before cooking, that should both tenderize them and make them cook faster which should help keep them juicier. The tenders just need to be cooked really fast because they dry out and overcook very quickly, you would get better results in a fry pan where you can tell how done they are easily. Chicken thighs hold up well to a lot of cooking and are very hard to overcook so you might want to try those.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Dish racks are the tool of the devil, and I loving hate them so much. They end up sitting there, with the dishes in them permanently, and the bottom gets gross and infested with mold and other horrible things, and GOD DAMNIT I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

At home, I cover the burners with towels, and set my dishes to dry atop those. Then, as soon as they're dry they get put away, because if I don't, I am not going to be able to cook until it's cleared off. The thing with tiny spaces is that you have to force yourself to be vigilant about letting poo poo get out of hand. My apartment in Jersey City is even more tiny than any I had in Manhattan, so I need to be super careful about how I use my space. I have exactly /one/ drawer in the kitchen.

That means that anything with a hole is getting hung up on the wall. The drawer houses things that don't have a hole and thereby cannot be hung up on the walls. All clothing gets hung up in the closet on hangers, with the exception of underwear and socks. Those get folded neatly, and put into storage containers that fit into my closet. The one thing I /do/ have plenty of is cabinets, so I'm pretty careful to put things away into the cabinets. I bought an extra rack for my freezer, so that it can be neatly arranged in there. That way, I have space to throw a large thing into there that I need to freeze, while still having space for my frozen veg, frozen fruit, curry leaves, etc.

Atop the tiny rear end counter lives my rice cooker (it gets used daily), the Vitamix, the toaster oven, and the cuisinart. Everything else gets put away into the capacious cabinetry. Whenever I'm at a friend's home who lives in NYC, I'm endlessly amazed at how much space gets wasted on poo poo like dish drying racks, little caddies for mugs and poo poo, and all kind of other random poo poo that never gets used. You don't live in the suburbs, Linda. It's time to make some loving space.

Seriously, it is so much nicer to have things put away. If it means that you end up actually drying dishes with a towel as you wash them, that's cool too. I just don't have the patience for doing it, so I found that the over the stove method works really well. Best part is that the back of the stove lets you prop up the dishes so that they drain off into the towels. Everything is usually dried nicely in an hour or so, and it's dead simple to put away.

You kitchen looks lovely!

Have two collapsible drying racks and wash one whenever it gets smelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Chicken tenderloins on the grill overcook if you look away for a few seconds anyway. They're pretty thin, and low in fat content, so easy to dry out. I prefer to marinate and bake chicken given the choice.

I think that's it. The first meal I had, the breasts that my brother cooked, one was cut thin and that was the tough one. The fatter one was still a little tough but not near as bad. I guess I just need to experiment more and a thermometer should help because then I can just take it off as soon as it gets up to 165 in the middle or wherever the chicken range is.

Liquid Communism posted:

I might also try the baking thing. Before I moved here last week, all my poo poo at my old apartment basically didn't work. The oven was messed up in some way, it couldn't even cook a frozen pizza correctly. Now that I'm here I can actually mess around with other cooking methods now. Seems like the oven would lend itself to cooking several at once for food prep anyway.

Also I honestly don't remember how juicy they were.