Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

my favorite fire emblem game is the hit mobile game Fire Emblem: Heroes

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is a close second though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I got like 1300 flags going into the final round, Camilla's got this poo poo.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
The think Conquest is genuinely the most fun FE game to play from a map design point of view. Some of the weapon mechanics could use reworking, but it really was the best it's been. Too bad the story was a dumpster fire.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

Almost all of them

I just liked the mechanics and map design.

I can respect that you are the kind of person who can judge a game without reference to its plot and writing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

was birthright or conquest the one with the wind map, I want to say birthright

Conquest had the wind map. I remember it because it made me stop playing.

Ostentatious posted:

my favorite fire emblem game is the hit mobile game Fire Emblem: Heroes

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is a close second though

As someone who's played most of the Fire Emblems, I honestly think FEH is one of the best.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Roger Explosion posted:

The think Conquest is genuinely the most fun FE game to play from a map design point of view. Some of the weapon mechanics could use reworking, but it really was the best it's been. Too bad the story was a dumpster fire.

Conquest had good maps but it needed breathers. The game was just going full bore 100% of the time, every single map. As much poo poo as we give Awakening for just throwing blobs of enemies at you, it's nice to have variety and sometimes you just wanna beat up some dudes without stressing out about whatever way this new chapter fucks you over

I think FE7 has my favorite map design in the series. FE5 beats it in overall game design but it's superior in game mechanics, not maps.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think I would've liked Conquest a little better if I didn't binge through it because some maps are just exhausting when played back to back

ninjas to foxes to windy bullshit (wind wasnt really that bad but it was incredibly annoying after the other two)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

As someone who's played most of the Fire Emblems, I honestly think FEH is one of the best.

The best since FE12 probably. Only counting English-released ones, either Radiant Dawn or PAth of Radiance depending how much you hate Radiant Dawn's weirder bits

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cheetah7071 posted:

Conquest had good maps but it needed breathers. The game was just going full bore 100% of the time, every single map. As much poo poo as we give Awakening for just throwing blobs of enemies at you, it's nice to have variety and sometimes you just wanna beat up some dudes without stressing out about whatever way this new chapter fucks you over

I think FE7 has my favorite map design in the series. FE5 beats it in overall game design but it's superior in game mechanics, not maps.

I'd have felt better about Conquest's map design if I didn't feel screwed over if I decided I really wanted to use Benny or Laslow or Peri. You really have to want to dedicate yourself to using your favourite character if they weren't solidly good.

I mean, I made Benny and Ignatius work for me when I played, but the maps can be very unforgiving sometimes if you decided to sit out a character for a map or two.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
As someone who has backed an underdog every gauntlet except for Elise's second run, I'm pretty fine with the results. In order I backed Elise, Cherche, Linde, Elise, Tiki, Lucina all because those were my legitimate picks for who I wanted to win the whole thing.

Day 1 of the first Voting Gauntlet I thought it was a silly thing to not take seriously and the crazy multipliers just make it a different kind of silly thing to not take seriously.

That being said, I'm jumping on to team Camilla to kick Ike's rear end. It'd be funny if the Voting Gauntlet structure was changed twice because of Camilla.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

is conquest the one where sakura goes to jail forever?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

If I want a breather I just take a break from playing.

I want full "gently caress you" map design all the time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd have felt better about Conquest's map design if I didn't feel screwed over if I decided I really wanted to use Benny or Laslow or Peri. You really have to want to dedicate yourself to using your favourite character if they weren't solidly good.

I mean, I made Benny and Ignatius work for me when I played, but the maps can be very unforgiving sometimes if you decided to sit out a character for a map or two.

Yeah the character and weapon balance was kinda hosed. I'm not sure it's even possible to balance them without changing the design philosophy of the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ostentatious posted:

is conquest the one where sakura goes to jail forever?

It's the one where Corrin magically doesn't kill literally any enemy soldiers despite running them all through with her sword, but then genocides an entire race without any discussion

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wait that's Birhtright and Conquest, gently caress

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah the character and weapon balance was kinda hosed. I'm not sure it's even possible to balance them without changing the design philosophy of the game.

Conquest's class choices were actually more balanced than Birthright, who had Ninjas (arguably the best class in the game) and the absurdly broken Ryoma. However they stifled it with odd join times and a disparity in stats to make up for it.

I mean, good luck using Charlotte when she joins at level 10, with paper-thin defenses and shaky accuracy, when you've probably already been trying in vain to make Arthur work and you already have the axe demoness Camilla.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Clarste posted:

Seriously though, you made a post specifically targeting what I said days ago with the intent of proving me wrong, and somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat for remembering basic facts?
Clarste, you called me insane and nonsensical for worrying about Lyn losing the gauntlet because she won the CYL poll, and here she is losing the gauntlet for the reasons I then specified why. Of course I'm going to call you out on it. But please, continue to focus on Lucina and the word "inevitable." I am sorry you a deaf to hyperbole.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

all i know about those three games are these specific things

-Corrin is the biggest loving idiot
-Xander is a fuccboi
-Azama has the best dialogue

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Conquest's class choices were actually more balanced than Birthright, who had Ninjas (arguably the best class in the game) and the absurdly broken Ryoma. However they stifled it with odd join times and a disparity in stats to make up for it.

I mean, good luck using Charlotte when she joins at level 10, with paper-thin defenses and shaky accuracy, when you've probably already been trying in vain to make Arthur work and you already have the axe demoness Camilla.

I thought Charlotte was really good in my Conquest playthoughs (both hard and Lunatic). She required some work at the start but the payoff was worth it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ostentatious posted:

-Corrin is the biggest loving idiot

somehow azura is dumber

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
actual transcript of dialogue from conquest:

azura: corrin, we're gonna have to pretend to be more evil to get under garon's radar
corrin: okay azura, I'll pretend to be evil
garon: corrin be more evil
corrin: I am evil
azura: corrin why are you so evil?????

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Charlotte was my spouse in conquest and I loved her because her crit chance was higher than her accuracy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

actual transcript of dialogue from conquest:

azura: corrin, we're gonna have to pretend to be more evil to get under garon's radar
corrin: okay azura, I'll pretend to be evil
garon: corrin be more evil
corrin: I am evil
azura: corrin why are you so evil?????

that was hilarious

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Andrast posted:

I thought Charlotte was really good in my Conquest playthoughs (both hard and Lunatic). She required some work at the start but the payoff was worth it.

She's not the worst character ever, but she takes time to grow into it, and Conquest with its lack of grinding makes it very difficult especially for later characters who rely on their growths to make up for iffy starting stats. And Conquest is full of them - Mozu, Arthur, Charlotte, Peri, Nyx, Selena.

It's one of those games where the prepromotes - Camilla, Leo, Shura, Xander - all shine more than normal because you don't have to grind them for them to be useful and inflated enemy difficulty will make up for slower exp gain soon enough.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i loving love azama tho for real. i feel like he gets me

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

She's not the worst character ever, but she takes time to grow into it, and Conquest with its lack of grinding makes it very difficult especially for later characters who rely on their growths to make up for iffy starting stats. And Conquest is full of them - Mozu, Arthur, Charlotte, Peri, Nyx, Selena.

It's one of those games where the prepromotes - Camilla, Leo, Shura, Xander - all shine more than normal because you don't have to grind them for them to be useful and inflated enemy difficulty will make up for slower exp gain soon enough.

Charlotte is much better than Arthur, Peri, Selena or Nyx though.

You can also get Mozu up to date during her recruitment map if you feed her kills properly. After that she is great for the whole game.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I remember Charlotte being a real workhorse for me on conquest, even with her low hit rate. I think I mostly focused on the royals and her and never had too much difficulty

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hated conquest because the characters are so terrible. Hoshido deserved to win considering how incompetent Nohr is.

also gently caress that fox map and the wind map and honestly, there's just too many gimmicks.

of course New Mystery is my fave game so uhh, I have bad opinions.

Also the concept of joining the losing team to get more feathers make no sense to me. Kinda makes winning a bit hollow.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

im on team ike people on my friends list lets kill ppl im the vidgame

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

of course New Mystery is my fave game so uhh, I have bad opinions

that's a good game except for chapter 3, no shame in that opinion

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

also gently caress that fox map and the wind map and honestly, there's just too many gimmicks.

Those maps were definitely the low point of Conquest.

I still don't know how I was supposed to do the fox map "properly". I just bruteforced it with Xander.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

Those maps were definitely the low point of Conquest.

I still don't know how I was supposed to do the fox map "properly". I just bruteforced it with Xander.

half the enemies do effective damage vs horses

on higher difficulties you have to brute force it with effie

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Is Chapter 3 the one where you have to go around the whole map so do you don't end up killing Lena's awful brother

Because that map did suck

Edit: talking about FE3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Retcon posted:

Is Chapter 3 the one where you have to go around the whole map so do you don't end up killing Lena's awful brother

yeah

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I probably did it with Effie then since I beat it on lunatic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cheetah7071 posted:

You can also do it with Camilla (you can reclass her to Wyvern Lord for the Beast Killer to make it easier) or Benny (Fierce Mien does not care about your fox evasion).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Roger Explosion posted:

Clarste, you called me insane and nonsensical for worrying about Lyn losing the gauntlet because she won the CYL poll, and here she is losing the gauntlet for the reasons I then specified why. Of course I'm going to call you out on it. But please, continue to focus on Lucina and the word "inevitable." I am sorry you a deaf to hyperbole.

So you focusing so much on the word "nonsensical" is cool, but me focusing on "inevitable" is just reading too much into things. K, gotcha, you're way dumber than I originally thought.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have a conquest lunatic file sitting on the penultimate map that I'm probably never gonna bother to finish

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Retcon posted:

Edit: talking about FE3

You enter the Matthis boredom spiral, and then you never leave. And they kept it in the remake.

It at least ends with Jagen threatening to gently caress some guy up until he runs off the map, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trivia: you can have Benny double the final boss of Conquest without any speed level ups.

It just requires you to not let Saizo die during Ninja Hell and to marry Benny to Nyx or Azura.