Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Yah the moral was more like "acting out of fear and anger is maybe not a great thing to do".

Seems like the moral was poison the other mother fucker you dummy why would you drink poison and expect it to work thats not how poison works. I may have misunderstood the Buddha, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Don Karnage posted:

This is from several pages ago, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that enjoyed TaleSpin.

Content: No me, but a friend of mine is a World War II history buff and likes to point out whenever a film uses the wrong type of vehicle or equipment. This is especially true for a lot of the WWII films that came out in the 1970s, for some reason.

Depending on the type of combat/action being portrayed, it gets really hard to get authentic vehicles/weapons/clothing for it. Theres only 1 running Tiger tank in the work, so most films just used other vehicles and attached plywood or other material to make it look like a Tiger or <insert thing here>.

Hell, PATTON has a fight in the desert between the Americans and Germans and, iirc, both sides are using post-war American tanks.

And even if you have some of a vehicle or plane or whatnot, they may all be variants, which are sometimes quite distinct. Like Hawker Hurricane and Supermarine Spitfire canopies/armament, or T-34 tank turrets.

I cant remember what the movie's name was. I'm fairly certain it was an Italian film based around the Battle of France and the worst, most irritating part is that they had the "proper" equipment but for the wrong sides! So Stukas would be bombing but they would have another nation's insignia. Same with the tanks, last I recall.

Man I wish I remembered it...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is that any better nowadays they can just use CG?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I think my IIMM may be rational, but I moan about it so much that maybe I'm being irrational, which might make it fit more here... Going back to the Hobbit, one of my favourite scenes in the book is where they're hoofing it up the mountain and there's two giants lobbing boulders at each other. That just blew my little mind back then. The gang is just witnessing this weird ritual between these fantastical beings on the mountain opposite where they are and I thin Gandalf says something akin to, "Nobody know why they do that. They might be having a genuine fight, or they could be just having some fun."
It had no bearing on the plot, didn't effect the characters at all and was nothing more than some "world building" and it was loving great.

In the film, the mountain itself comes alive with the band of dwarves and Bilbo on it. It's no longer a weird, giant on the distance, it's a mountain elemental and these CGI dwarves are running around ON it, diving under its armpits as it's smashing up the dang place. What could have been a great little set piece was turned into a dumb action scene that looked like utter rear end and SOMEHOW made giants MORE magical yet MORE boring.

I didn't even bother watching 2 or 3. I ONLY wanted to see some cool giants throwing rocks at each other and they ballsed it up so badly.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The hobbit should have been one film with a more humorous tone. They opened with Ian Holm as old Bilbo narrating the story, so already they have their reason for the inconsistency.

More dwarves singing "chip the cups and crack the plates, that's what Bilbo Baggins hates!", fewer long, boring and unbelievable fights and videogame bosses

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I was watching Wonder Woman with some friends and it reminded me of something that always annoys the crap out of me. At some point they're in Flanders on their way to the trenches and she has a brief exchange with a local woman. I was pleasantly surprised that Wonder Woman's Dutch wasn't too bad, and it goes with the character, but the Belgian woman's Dutch was barely recognizable, it was that bad.

Then to make matters more bewildering, they're in a village square a little later and the extras there do speak proper Flemish. What the hell? You can get (near) native speaking extras but you use an American actress who's obviously speaking Dutch lines without bothering to even approximate the proper pronunciation (as if she read them for the first time) for a speaking role?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that scene with the Dwarf song in the Shire, because on the one hand they were making fun of Bilbo being overly sensitive, but IIRC they did clean up their mess during the song, so they at least admitted that they were being poor houseguests :3: Actions truly speak louder than words.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is that any better nowadays they can just use CG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vFGQ0uJQc
If this is inaccurate I don't want to know. I loved this scene.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bitterandtwisted posted:

More dwarves singing "chip the cups and crack the plates, that's what Bilbo Baggins hates!", fewer long, boring and unbelievable fights and videogame bosses

Hahaha, I never thought of this but it's true. For instance, those trolls with axes or flails for hands and two peg legs who are controlled with hooks in their eyes by orcs riding their heads might as well be Resident Evil bosses (heck, they could be enemies from the Resident Evil movies). Legolas's ninja fight with Bolg in the last one is pretty Assassin's Creed as well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alternative pants posted:

My favourite little side-effect was all the wehraboos on the internet getting so mad that one of their favourite invincible Kruppstahl Tigers was taken down by inferior Untermenschen Shermans. :allears:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Beorn in the book was Brian Blessed, not this boring gloomy-guts :mad:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Perestroika posted:

My favourite little side-effect was all the wehraboos on the internet getting so mad that one of their favourite invincible Kruppstahl Tigers was taken down by inferior Untermenschen Shermans. :allears:

Mein poor babies.
After doing some quick googling, it looks like the filmmakers did use the one working Tiger and a couple of working Shermans for filming.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well, that's certainly informative. They're all too long with not enough story to sustain 3 movies and focus being put onto parts of the books that weren't necessary too. I can see why people weren't thrilled by them now.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hahaha, I never thought of this but it's true. For instance, those trolls with axes or flails for hands and two peg legs who are controlled with hooks in their eyes by orcs riding their heads might as well be Resident Evil bosses (heck, they could be enemies from the Resident Evil movies). Legolas's ninja fight with Bolg in the last one is pretty Assassin's Creed as well.

Holy lol, this sounds like something out of Mortal Kombat or Dante's Inferno.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Perestroika posted:

If you really want to get under the skin of one of those idiots, say "the thing is that one Tiger tank was worth four Shermans. The Americans just always had five".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Holy lol, this sounds like something out of Mortal Kombat or Dante's Inferno.

And you can see them in action: James Nesbitt rides one about halfway through this clip.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Memento posted:

If you really want to get under the skin of one of those idiots, say "the thing is that one Tiger tank was worth four Shermans. The Americans just always had five".

This is glorious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

:allears: This is gloriously stupid. It'd be one thing to have an Orc with flail hands but then they've given them mace peg legs too and blades sticking out the sides of their legs as well.

Middle-Earth was a total mess back in the day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

:allears: This is gloriously stupid. It'd be one thing to have an Orc with flail hands but then they've given them mace peg legs too and blades sticking out the sides of their legs as well.

Here's Legolas having his Assassin's Creed fight with Bolg I mentioned.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That giant mace-legged orc looked terrible and the fight wasn't too great in general but the sword just suddenly being in that dude's chest and being caught before it went off the cliff still got me, I have to admit.

New annoyance: I hate when they telegraph that someone's going to get killed by having them take 15 minutes to kill someone. The wind-up on that orc's swing, pulling a trigger taking 15 seconds, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So it turns out Shadows of Mordor was actually pretty restrained.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I don't remember this part of the Hobbit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yeah its pretty in...

I don't want to know. I loved this scene.

Nvm

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mein poor babies.
After doing some quick googling, it looks like the filmmakers did use the one working Tiger and a couple of working Shermans for filming.

Yeah, and again that goes back to few surviving examples + cost to maintain, so for the most part you don't see originals when it comes to German tanks. There's only like... 1 or 2 running Panther tanks IIRC too.

If you really want to piss off wehraboo's tell them that Hitler was born on 420 but hated smoking.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A general complaint my wife has is when the woman is much younger than her husband/boyfriend. The latest one that annoys her is Mother where Jennifer Lawrence is 27 and her husband is 49.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oldpainless posted:

A general complaint my wife has is when the woman is much younger than her husband/boyfriend. The latest one that annoys her is Mother where Jennifer Lawrence is 27 and her husband is 49.

Oldnotgettinghintsabouthismarriage

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Those Shermans would have had no trouble penetrating the frontal armor of a Tiger at that range, and the rear armor of the Tiger was the same thickness as the side armor; the whole need to flank it and shoot in in the rear was bullshit. Even the 75mm gun on earlier Shermans would have easily penetrated the Tiger in the front at the range they were at (500 yards, they call out). Also firing on the move in either tank was pretty much a guarantee of a miss.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Soon to be oldwifeless.

E: Dammit I didn't want to know about the inaccuracies. At least they had accurate replicas of the correct era tanks.

Alternative pants has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Sep 4, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Holy poo poo, Alien Covenant. I don't even know where to begin, it's one IIMM after another and I'm only at the point where Jedi Fassbender shows up.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

oldpainless posted:

Javier Bardem is the same age as Jennifer Lawrences real life boyfriend though. 48 not 49.

If you want to get smart with your wife, that is.

Cage has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Sep 4, 2017

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phanatic posted:

Holy poo poo, Alien Covenant. I don't even know where to begin, it's one IIMM after another and I'm only at the point where Jedi Fassbender shows up.
Idon't think any of them are actually irrational because Alien: Covenant is hot garbage.

The kind thing to do would be to have Ridley Scott taken to the vet's and euthanized.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

John Big Booty posted:

Idon't think any of them are actually irrational because Alien: Covenant is hot garbage.

The kind thing to do would be to have Ridley Scott taken to the vet's and euthanized.

I don't get why it had to be such poo poo. We never needed to see David again. gently caress, have the ship land where the Aliens are motherfucking native!

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Here's an IIMM, every time I read the word covenant I read it as Coe-ven-ant. Because covenant sounds like oven-ant and that just doesn't work

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

donquixotic posted:

Here's an IIMM, every time I read the word covenant I read it as Coe-ven-ant. Because covenant sounds like oven-ant and that just doesn't work

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

donquixotic posted:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

I think my IIMM may be rational, but I moan about it so much that maybe I'm being irrational, which might make it fit more here... Going back to the Hobbit, one of my favourite scenes in the book is where they're hoofing it up the mountain and there's two giants lobbing boulders at each other. That just blew my little mind back then. The gang is just witnessing this weird ritual between these fantastical beings on the mountain opposite where they are and I thin Gandalf says something akin to, "Nobody know why they do that. They might be having a genuine fight, or they could be just having some fun."
It had no bearing on the plot, didn't effect the characters at all and was nothing more than some "world building" and it was loving great.

In the film, the mountain itself comes alive with the band of dwarves and Bilbo on it. It's no longer a weird, giant on the distance, it's a mountain elemental and these CGI dwarves are running around ON it, diving under its armpits as it's smashing up the dang place. What could have been a great little set piece was turned into a dumb action scene that looked like utter rear end and SOMEHOW made giants MORE magical yet MORE boring.

I didn't even bother watching 2 or 3. I ONLY wanted to see some cool giants throwing rocks at each other and they ballsed it up so badly.

The Hobbit movies are best thought of as Bilbo just grossly exagerating everything as he retells the story for the umpteenth time. Going more over the top after each retelling.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I know that's a really general complaint but it was super dumb seeing a Jim Carrey/Zooey Deschanel movie couple.

Also in The Wedding Singer Drew Barrymore is made up to look way younger than Adam Sandler even if the real age difference isn't so big.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Amoeba102 posted:

The Hobbit movies are best thought of as Bilbo just grossly exagerating everything as he retells the story for the umpteenth time. Going more over the top after each retelling.

Until eventually it's just a 10 second Hobbit/Wanted mashup where Bilbo stares straight at the camera, yells THIS IS MY FACE AS PETE JACKSON RUINS YOUR CHILDHOOD and then makes his LotR jump scare face.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the first Hobbit movie but I remember like six big nose funny dwarves and then the heroic leader dwarf who basically looks like a handsome human which is pretty dumb.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the first Hobbit movie but I remember like six big nose funny dwarves and then the heroic leader dwarf who basically looks like a handsome human which is pretty dumb.

No that's accurate. Later an elf lady falls in love with him and they (probably?) bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

No that's accurate. Later an elf lady falls in love with him and they (probably?) bang.

There are three handsome dwarfs: the leader and the two younger ones and she bangs one of the young ones.
The dwarves in the book had very little characterization aside from Thorin.

There's the fat one who fell asleep alot and is a complete liability, but the film has none of that.
There's Balin (later lord of Moria) who is Bilbo's bff but the film had none of that.
There's two two young ones who die offscreen. So the film bigs up their roles, gives one a stupid love subplot and has more epic battles.