Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

botany posted:

me: "the soviets and the US invaded korea, split it up against the wishes of the people and caused untold suffering."

you: "look he's defending stalin."

the soviets are just as much to blame here as the US, and i'm absolutely not defending north korea as it currently stands, it's a rogue state that's a clear and present danger, and kim jong-il is a fucker of the first degree. all i'm saying is that all this poo poo started when the decision was made to split a country that wanted to be united and sovereign, and that the north korean invasion has to be understood as a result of that.

You're defending the Kim family by claiming they were selflessly fighting for reunification.

And they've always been assholes. North Korea's initial government contained number of leading fascists who fled Japan. Which is why there is a ton of mystical and racial bullshit around the Kim family. They cut and pasted the Japanese Imperial mythos and replaced keywords.

The Korean war happened because Il-Sung wanted a larger country so he could be a bigger hotshot in International Communism. He was super insecure about this his entire life because he started as a Soviet puppet.

Xae fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

loving obviously.

I normally fall for these things on first glance, and it's only 30 seconds later my brain starts to go 'Waaaiitttt a minute'.

This one. I thought 'No loving way is that true', the second I read it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I think I see avocado and bacon or ham too? I don't actually know, I just googled "open faced sandwich" and went with the best looking one there.

e: just because that is what I googled doesn't mean that google isn't wrong :colbert:

agreed

TIL my 2 slices of toast i have in the morning are just "open faced sandwiches"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Xae posted:

You're defending the Kim family by claiming they were selflessly fighting for reunification.

i'm very specifically not doing that. i'm talking about the korean citizens, both in the north and the south, and what they wanted. because those are people, and what they want seems to get lost a lot in the discussion.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Yeah, I know this is fake, but even if it was true there's an easy rebuttal: DEMENTIA.

Keep watching Trump and you'll get to see even more of it!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

botany posted:

i'm very specifically not doing that. i'm talking about the korean citizens, both in the north and the south, and what they wanted. because those are people, and what they want seems to get lost a lot in the discussion.

botany posted:

yes the north koreans had agency. yes they chose to invade. they were fighting for reunification, and the only reason you couldn't let that stand was because you were worried about communism.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So what are the odds on America loving up NAFTA negotiations so bad that the balance gets tilted heavily in favour of Canada and Mexico? I figure it'll get killed via tweet or backfire to everyone else's benefit.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Eox posted:

So what are the odds on America loving up NAFTA negotiations so bad that the balance gets tilted heavily in favour of Canada and Mexico? I figure it'll get killed via tweet or backfire to everyone else's benefit.

Who's president? 100%

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Eox posted:

When Tax Reform fails I figure Trump will start taking a personal interest in the NAFTA renegotiation and poo poo will quickly go down hill.

If we're lucky Canada adds 50 new provinces.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Florida is hosed if this happens

Gah someone here help me, my google-fu is failing.

Basically, NYT had an excellent article on how utterly hosed Florida cities, in this case Tampa, are if they take a direct hit from a major hurricane. This is because the Republican shitbags down there have been so focused on selling out to developers without any thought towards climate change, flooding, hurricanes, ect.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

When Tax Reform fails I figure Trump will start taking a personal interest in the NAFTA renegotiation and poo poo will quickly go down hill.

If we're lucky Canada adds 50 new provinces.

49, you guys can keep Alaska.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

botany posted:

me: "the soviets and the US invaded korea, split it up against the wishes of the people and caused untold suffering."

you: "look he's defending stalin."

the soviets are just as much to blame here as the US, and i'm absolutely not defending north korea as it currently stands, it's a rogue state that's a clear and present danger, and kim jong-il is a fucker of the first degree. all i'm saying is that all this poo poo started when the decision was made to split a country that wanted to be united and sovereign, and that the north korean invasion has to be understood as a result of that.

Well, it's not that simple though.
Both sides wanted Korea to be a free country, but the joint conference stated Korea had to wait 5 years as a trustee thing. Koreans got pissed. Seeing that the joint conference couldn't make headway the US and UN decided to hold elections for leadership of Korea which the soviets refused to accept because it was seen as unfair to them. The elections went ahead and the soviets followed suit. This is why both countries split. They were just zones of occupation in a single country prior, but when the soviets determined they didn't have a fair shake in elections, they set their own power in their zone and the lines became borders.
After this Kim Il Sun spent his time trying to find ways of invading and taking South Korea. Eventually Stalin gave him the ok and war began

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

remember the part where we literally ran out of houses to bomb in Korea, and then bombed the loving dam to flood them, and then decided to bomb the rubble again? but it's ok because truman stopped macarthur from nuking them and killing hundreds of thousands with regular bombs totally doesn't count.

So...war then?

I think Seoul changed hands 4 times. It was a loving murder machine of a war on both sides, but the side that invaded and their big friend that senselessly poured excess men into the grinder deserve at least 51% of them blame.

It sucks for the average Korean that has been a Cold War pawn for 70 years though. They have to be ranked just below Poland for the "getting continuously hosed by other countries" award.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Krispy Kareem posted:

So...war then?

I think Seoul changed hands 4 times. It was a loving murder machine of a war on both sides, but the side that invaded and their big friend that senselessly poured excess men into the grinder deserve at least 51% of them blame.

It sucks for the average Korean that has been a Cold War pawn for 70 years though. They have to be ranked just below Poland for the "getting continuously hosed by other countries" award.

Yeah, any people that have to use their own poo poo as fertilizer and get executed for not "paying their due" because they literally can't certainly gains some trophy for inhumanity

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Alterian posted:

Wow another mostly Polish olive skinned tone woman who tans at a drop of a hat who gets mistaken for "Mexican" during the summer months. This is the first summer I've actually had this happen and I thought it was an anomaly. I had moved to a different part of town. Where I lived previously was a lot more diverse and now I live in a predominantly white area.

Hello there, biedronka. :wink: I was mistaken by a Mexican man once, and he came up to me to ask where the bus stop was, but this is the first time white people have gotten on board and been mistaken. I think you may be right on the demographic make up too, because my neighborhood is very white, and I think it creates an echo chamber where fear gets insulated.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

So...war then?

Worked out well enough in the end for those south of the DMZ.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

SocketWrench posted:

Well, it's not that simple though.
Both sides wanted Korea to be a free country, but the joint conference stated Korea had to wait 5 years as a trustee thing. Koreans got pissed. Seeing that the joint conference couldn't make headway the US and UN decided to hold elections for leadership of Korea which the soviets refused to accept because it was seen as unfair to them. The elections went ahead and the soviets followed suit. This is why both countries split. They were just zones of occupation in a single country prior, but when the soviets determined they didn't have a fair shake in elections, they set their own power in their zone and the lines became borders.
After this Kim Il Sun spent his time trying to find ways of invading and taking South Korea. Eventually Stalin gave him the ok and war began

sure, that's all correct. i'd add that when the south koreans rioted because they didn't want to be divided and occupied, the US-SK leadership started banning political parties and declaring martial law. the election was also boycotted by a good number of south korean politicians, not just the soviet faction.

look, at the end of the day the only reason i'm talking about this is because i see some posters here calling for military intervention, and the whole thing started with a military intervention and occupation. to me, the whole korean disaster is another example of world powers looking at smaller foreign nations and going "hold on there, i don't like what you're doing, let me stick my dick in and make everything worse". my concern is for the citizens of the koreas, i have no interest in defending kim jong-il or his son. i hope that's clear now. so in the interest of those citizens, let's maybe not start another war.

see above

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
Hey Canada: can MN get a pass and join you guys? I mean, we are basically you but with patriotism. We want off this ride.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

So if florida gets flattened how hard are insurance companies going to get hit? I get that there is insurance insurance, so there is no risk of them going under, but between Dallas, Hong Kong, and now maybe florida it seems like it has been a bad time to try and make :10bux: off of insurance
The only group stupid enough to provide coverage for flooding is the American taxpayer, so insurance companies are not going to have to pay out for most of the damage from Harvey.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bobjr posted:

How was Rob Ford elected? Was it kinda like Trump where a joke candidate became a horrifying reality?
He was just your classic mob-style sleazy corrupt politician who walked around and pressed the flesh a lot and got things done for individual constituents. everybody loved him despite the fact that they all kind of suspected he was drunk all the time, even after the tape of him smoking crack, surfaced.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i am harry posted:

I'm a bike ride's distance to the front range west of Denver and the mountains have been missing for days.

It is really bad pretty much from Denver west to the coast.

I was at Mt Rainier last Monday. This is what that view is normally:

This is a photo I took at the exact same location:

Flying back to Austin on Saturday I don't think there was any point between takeoff and the NM/TX border that you couldn't see at least one smoke plume from the plane window.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i really hope we don't go to war with NK and trump annihilates them like his generals want him to. even if the leadership in NK sucks, the people of NK don't deserve annihilation

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend whose part Polish, part Puerto Rican. So yeah, the only way she'd look more Mexican is if you gave her a sombrero and a swarthy mustache.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Worked out well enough in the end for those south of the DMZ.

Until now, maybe.

And that's only relatively recently. Their parents and grandparents lived in a South that was poorer than the North.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

The only group stupid enough to provide coverage for flooding is the American taxpayer, so insurance companies are not going to have to pay out for most of the damage from Harvey.

And the program is already over budget because for some mysterious reason flooding keeps getting worse.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
DACA

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/904705239592435713

You may recall the RAISE act from when Cotton introduced it last month. It's goal was to cut LEGAL immigration into the US in half by, among other things, limiting most parts that weren't merit based.

This is a statement form Sen Lankford (OK) also trying to connect DACA legislation to RAISE Act merit limitations.

https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/904690651215917056

I strongly urge people with Democratic Senators to call them and tell them you do not want to see a new DREAM act tied to either the RAISE Act or, and I haven't seen much push for this yet but it's only a matter of time, wall funding.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

Flying back to Austin on Saturday I don't think there was any point between takeoff and the NM/TX border that you couldn't see at least one smoke plume from the plane window.

Pretend I posted a similar picture of Boise. I didn't feel like stopping at a good photo spot and taking a picture on the way home.

The sun's just a red disk today though that's neat. Smells like ozone too. In all fairness to the area, Boise sits in a valley notorious for inversions that trap in polluted air. Plus I think the foothills are burning.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

botany posted:

sure, that's all correct. i'd add that when the south koreans rioted because they didn't want to be divided and occupied, the US-SK leadership started banning political parties and declaring martial law. the election was also boycotted by a good number of south korean politicians, not just the soviet faction.

look, at the end of the day the only reason i'm talking about this is because i see some posters here calling for military intervention, and the whole thing started with a military intervention and occupation. to me, the whole korean disaster is another example of world powers looking at smaller foreign nations and going "hold on there, i don't like what you're doing, let me stick my dick in and make everything worse". my concern is for the citizens of the koreas, i have no interest in defending kim jong-il or his son. i hope that's clear now. so in the interest of those citizens, let's maybe not start another war.

see above

It's honestly absolutely incredible that people think that an invasion of North Korea could possibly end well for anyone involved, or could have before North Korea developed nuclear weapons, even.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Until now, maybe.

And that's only relatively recently. Their parents and grandparents lived in a South that was poorer than the North.

While it doesn't excuse the crimes of the past, my point is we are putting a lot more thought and worry into the legacy of the Korean war than your average S. Korean does.

Anyway this is supposed to be the Trump thread. What we should be discussing is how our fabled Command in Chief will handle Kim Jon Un, unite our allies, prevent N. Korean Nuclear proliferation. Of course the answer is "lol he's not going to do any of those things" but its what we should be talking about

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I am an italian-descended brazilian guy with green eyes, and dated an american girl from Alabama that was, like, 1/16th cherokee waaaay back in the tree. Her mother and grandma were pale blonde, but she came out dark-haired and tanned very easily. Since we were in small-town upper Florida and did a lot of outdoor stuff, she was often tanned.

It was darkly funny at first, then actually dismaying to see people assume she was an immigrant while leaving me, an actual latin foreigner with an accent, alone. "How long have you been here?" was a question she got all of the time, and even "What language do you speak?" when she actually spoke perfect english WITH A SOUTHERN TWANG. Some people tried to couch it nicely ("You are too pretty to be american!"), while others were borderline hostile in a way I rarely felt myself, despite me being the foreigner.

I don't know if it they just assumed I came from one of the 'right' (european) countries or because they just assumed I was a tourist while she was obviously living there long-term and therefore an irritant. Likely both. This was several years ago, so I wonder how much worse it got now.

Also, holy poo poo, small-town northern Florida had poo poo people. A few very sweet ones, granted, but you could so often see the urge to point and go VREEEEEE behind the eyes of people who saw us in parking lots and eating places. The fact that I was fond of eating at Hobble House and Waffle House (shut up, we don't have pancakes and waffles where I'm from) likely didn't help things.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Mustached Demon posted:

This map here's the loving scary part.

I live in Boise. We normally can see the sawtooths (western edge of Rockies basically) crystal clear. Right now it's just haze. Looks like old pictures of LA or urban China for fucks sake. If I remember I'll snag a picture in the morning.

It is kind of weird looking at that map: the left half of that map is full of signs of fire, but the right side has no fire.

Its almost like there is something in common that places like California and Idaho have, that places like Ohio and North Carolina do not.

I have no idea what it would be, I don't know where I get the idea that there is some type of fundamental difference in landscape between Idaho and Indiana. Obviously Idaho and Indiana are both the same because they are sparsely populated and totally rural. Its just weird that this map doesn't reflect this?

:iiam:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Boon posted:

If I was a state, I'd think twice before denying climate change. Hurricanes seem to not be taking kindly to that sort of thing anymore.
Florida doesn't admit about climate change however they do believe that the oceans are rising so they're working to combat that.

No seriously

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sephyr posted:

I don't know if it they just assumed I came from one of the 'right' (european) countries or because they just assumed I was a tourist while she was obviously living there long-term and therefore an irritant. Likely both. This was several years ago, so I wonder how much worse it got now.

They assumed you were white, and she was not. Don't look for some sort of deep or consistent logic in racism.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have a friend whose part Polish, part Puerto Rican. So yeah, the only way she'd look more Mexican is if you gave her a sombrero and a swarthy mustache.

I would like to nip this conversation in the bud. Not you, specifically Krispy Kareem, as your friend is a woc but jeez.

It seems like "I was in the sun and went from Papaya Whip to Apricot, and someone said a mean thing to my face, now I feel unsafe" is getting dangerously close to "I had my whiteness questioned, they treated me like a minority, so they could go after anyone!" I don't think that's been the intention so far but I want you guys to be aware.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Gah someone here help me, my google-fu is failing.

Basically, NYT had an excellent article on how utterly hosed Florida cities, in this case Tampa, are if they take a direct hit from a major hurricane. This is because the Republican shitbags down there have been so focused on selling out to developers without any thought towards climate change, flooding, hurricanes, ect.
There are no thoughts because the governor literally banned the state scientists from using the words climate change in papers and meetings

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

coyo7e posted:

He was just your classic mob-style sleazy corrupt politician who walked around and pressed the flesh a lot and got things done for individual constituents. everybody loved him despite the fact that they all kind of suspected he was drunk all the time, even after the tape of him smoking crack, surfaced.

Ford was pretty much a master of saying and doing things that played well with voters while collecting a paycheque for doing little actual work aside from finding ways to abuse city resources to benefit himself, the petty thugs he surrounded himself, and his job as a football coach. (Re: the latter, he did things like had public transit buses pulled off duty and sent to football games because it rained and had staffers run errands for him and his team)

He mostly got elected by screeching about government spending (the "gravy train"), latte sipping downtown liberals (Toronto is so huge because it's a forced amalgamation of several municipalities and people in the suburbs believe they are ignored) and generic taxes and crime poo poo. He also pushed the idea of a "war on the car" which fed into the suburbs versus downtown bullshit; a lot of people drive to work from the outer areas of the city and get pissed off by cyclists and streetcars which Ford promised to stick it to. The candidates up against him in the first election weren't very exciting either.

After the election he spent a lot of time talking to citizens in person and on the phone, telling people he can come see him or call him at any time and he'll fix their problems. He probably rarely managed to do anything other than waste time and city resources in the process but it played well with his supporters.

For all his talk about the gravy train, in practice all he found to cut was like office budgets and snacks and coffee during meetings which didn't come close to covering the hundreds of millions of dollars of city councilors robbing the city blind that he claimed existed. He cut some taxes and counted that in the same "saving taxpayers money" pool alongside with other cuts he made, which doesn't make sense but that's okay because the average citizen doesn't know how government money works either. And the actual dollar value doesn't matter because he goes on TV and talk radio and says that he "saved the city a billion dollars" and people believe him.

I think there were parallels with Trump so far as knowing what to say to rile people up, being up against crappy candidates, not knowing how to do the job, and wasting resources doing nothing, but a main difference is that Ford abused drugs and alcohol instead of having a brain with holes eaten in it.

edit: I think there are also parallels with exploiting the suburb/downtown divide versus exploiting the rural/urban divide, just on a different scale

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 4, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus loving Christ Twitter is terrible to try and read anything in.

I don't understand why people don't just type up their paragraphs or stories or whatever in MS Word, Notepad, etc. and just post screenshots of them. While those are still lovely (hey, maybe you shouldn't use Twitter if you want to post a loving blog!) they are much preferable to these "threads".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

enraged_camel posted:

I don't understand why people don't just type up their paragraphs or stories or whatever and just post screenshots of them. While those are still lovely (hey, maybe you shouldn't use Twitter if you want to post a loving blog!) they are much preferable to these "threads".

Nobody reads blogs any more, they're dead much like non Reddit forums

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nobody reads blogs any more, they're dead much like non Reddit forums

:negative:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How your right wing uncle will defend Trump

https://twitter.com/TheLeftIsRacist/status/903671617947148288
https://twitter.com/arrowheadroad/status/904560608422612992
https://twitter.com/WayneDupreeShow/status/903717636693008385
https://twitter.com/LovesG_d/status/904707069676183556
https://twitter.com/5U5ie777/status/904584125826387968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

My poor beautiful Mt. Rainier :(

• Locked thread