Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Been shopping, 5lbs of pork butt waiting and a buncha spices and ingredients. All ready to try out Chris Lillys rub and injection that I read a lot of good things about :

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/chris-lillys-six-time-world-championship-pork-shoulder-52415241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Franklin BBQ burned down? That really sucks

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Back open in a month.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I'm doing slc ribs this weekend in my bge. Last time I did ribs I did baby backs and they ended up a little dry/tough. I've read the amazing ribs last meal ribs article but is there anything major I should watch out for? I can do a brisket or pork shoulder fine but for some reason ribs trip me up. I've gotten better at temp control and I use a water pan but if anyone has any other tips my taste buds will thank you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just don't cook for time. Use the bend test.

And make sure your thermometer is at grate level.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Glambags posted:

I'm doing slc ribs this weekend in my bge. Last time I did ribs I did baby backs and they ended up a little dry/tough. I've read the amazing ribs last meal ribs article but is there anything major I should watch out for? I can do a brisket or pork shoulder fine but for some reason ribs trip me up. I've gotten better at temp control and I use a water pan but if anyone has any other tips my taste buds will thank you.

Sounds like you need to use the bend test like previous poster said.

How hot are you cooking?

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Plan is 225, last time I cooked ribs it was at 250. I had temp problems as it was January and I am in upstate new york. Also it was the first time I smoked ribs and was unaware of the bend test

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I'm also curious if anyone has smoked fresh pork sausage because I'd like to try that. Internet basically says smoke for no longer than an hour, meat should be 150-160 before coming off. Doneness temperature seems to differ depending on if you grind your own or buy from the meat case.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I throw a bunch of jalapeno cheddar sausages in every time I smoke something. as long as you get them out in time (which I have failed at before) they're really, really good.

i will say it is a little annoying when people rave about the afterthought sausages way more than my brisket or ribs though.

edit - they're the $1 a piece ones from hy vee, which are probably the best sausages

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 1, 2017

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Glambags posted:

I'm also curious if anyone has smoked fresh pork sausage because I'd like to try that. Internet basically says smoke for no longer than an hour, meat should be 150-160 before coming off. Doneness temperature seems to differ depending on if you grind your own or buy from the meat case.

With pork I'd just follow FDA guidelines. They lowered it recently but I can't recall to what.

I've done sausages in the past and an hour is about right. Since it's ground meat, they more easily integrate the smoke flavor than a solid chunk of meat so if you leave them longer than that, they'll just taste like straight smoke.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Glambags posted:

Lots of good info in this thread:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/156227/how-long-do-you-smoke-your-sausage

Low temps to stop the fat rendering basically. Too low a temp and you need cure in your sausage for safety.

Also, if your thinking of store bought sausages, keep an eye on the casing - some places use fake casing which acts different (ie: dry out/snap/etc).

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Glambags posted:

Try a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage (or a roll of whatever your favorite ground sausage is) and either do a glaze of BBQ sauce or slice/serve on biscuits for breakfast. No lies, pretty delicious and super easy/cheap.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Glambags posted:

Do you crutch them? I find basting with apple juice or baste and wrapping for 30 minutes to an hour helps keep it moist.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I got 2 big briskets from Costco that are going in my MES40 tonight for dinner tomorrow. However I pulled the MES out last night to clean it and the display is all messed up. The numbers are part gone on the screen so it is hard to read temps and time but it seemed to turn on and run. I will be using a different thermometer anyways and timing with my phone so I am hoping it isn't a big deal.

I plan on doing one brisket with Salt & Pepper only and the other with my Memphis Dust based rub.

I plan on separating the points to make burnt ends. Anyone have any tips or recipes? Should I cut the points off right away or leave them on until its time to chop them? I think cutting at the beginning will make it easier later and also help me fit both in the smoker.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Briskets been on for only 4 hours at 250 and somehow I am already at 190. Both my maverick and instant read are showing the same. Not sure how that is. Turned it down to 225 and took some water out of the pan as it was ove flowing with juices dripping unto it. Could steam from the water be causing the temp to get that high so fast? I usually don't use water but I watched the Franklin videos today and he said to use it.

I have 12 hours until dinner. How long can I get away with keeping it in a cooler if I have to?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
not 12 hours long unfortunately. You may need to wrap them in foil and keep them in an oven at 200 degrees for the next 8-9 hours. The problem is your bark is going to turn mushy, so 2 hours before dinner take them out of foil and try to grill them on both sides at high heat to dry off the bark. Not long, just long enough to get the bark not so wet. Then wrap again and keep in the cooler. Good luck.

On a related note, i too have a brisket in my smoker. Put it in 25 minutes ago, and the temp is a very stead 225 in the smoker. I unfortunately had to cut off a few inches from the base of the brisket, as it would not fit in my red box smoker. https://www.ssomd.com/red-box-smoker.

Rub is salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder and a bit of texas roadhouse rub someone gave me. I had to do it last night because i was putting the brisket on really early and didnt want to be banging around in the kitchen. I saw that a lot of juice was in the foil pan this morning that came from the brisket (probably from the salt in the rub) so i injected some of it back in. That and the water pan should keep me nice and moist.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
After dropping the temp of the smoker and reducing the water in the pan the temp dropped a bit with the door open for a few. it has been at 183 for the last 3 hours. I just raised the smoker temp back up 5 degrees and will monitor it there for a few. If it stalls where it is for a few more hours I think I will be good.

As for bark I am using an electric smoker, the MES40, so there isn't a super great bark to begin with. I will be throwing it on the grill for a bit anyways.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Didn't get pictures but got a brisket going as well. Had some problems with the last one being too salty so I just did salt and pepper for the rub.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
The stall always makes me nervous. I've been sitting at 150 for about two hours now. I am now creeping up through 156 at this moment, 232 internal smoker temp.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm cooking with data now!

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Prime tri-tip at 210-225 for 3 hours

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Doing a 10lb brisket for 12 hours tomorrow before this hurricane turbo fucks Florida. At lease we'll be stocked on leftovers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cooked a 5lbs piece of pork for 10 hours at least. Turned out great.

I like to take the shredded pork and spread it out over a baking sheet, salt & pepper it and then broil it in it's own fat.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

Prime tri-tip at 210-225 for 3 hours

This is why I keep coming back to this thread. Great work.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Brisket came out very well. Was having a party and the resident BBQ expert (He has two BGEs and other smokers and travels the local competition circuit) could not stop raving about the brisket. He said my half in smoke ring was one of th emore beautiful things he had seen.

More to the point, the rest of the guests really enjoyed it too, so much I had to run away from the grill where i was flipping burgers and dogs and snag the last frigging piece so i could have a bite. It was gone in probably 10 minutes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tomorrow is smoking day for a pork butt.
I'm off and gf has to be at work at 7 so that means smoker time.

I usually set my smoker at around 225 and it seems to take for friggin ever to do it. Like 2hrs a pound where everything I read says 1.25-1.5hr a pound.

I have no issue taking 12 hours to smoke the fucker but wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Masterbuilt black box electric smoker, temp is usually off by about 10° so I make sure I set at 235.

Any tips

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Same thing happens with my propane smoker. I just turn up the heat a little bit or start earlier. Or you could always crutch.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

tater_salad posted:

Tomorrow is smoking day for a pork butt.
I'm off and gf has to be at work at 7 so that means smoker time.

I usually set my smoker at around 225 and it seems to take for friggin ever to do it. Like 2hrs a pound where everything I read says 1.25-1.5hr a pound.

I have no issue taking 12 hours to smoke the fucker but wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Masterbuilt black box electric smoker, temp is usually off by about 10° so I make sure I set at 235.

Any tips

Just plan on a lot of time/beer/weed.
Even with a crutch, a 5lb butt took 15 hours.
And then the 1lb briskets took ~6 hours.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 4, 2017

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Pulled the brisket late last night so haven't carved it yet.

Foiled it and threw it in the fridge. Best bark I've ever gotten.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to do some chicken thighs on my Akorn. Any recs? I want classic bbq thighs, so Ill be brushing them with sauce some point in the cook. What's the best way to make sure the skin renders enough fat and isn't rubbery?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Open the skin like a sail and it should work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Open the skin like a sail and it should work.

I don’t know what that means.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I want to do some chicken thighs on my Akorn. Any recs? I want classic bbq thighs, so Ill be brushing them with sauce some point in the cook. What's the best way to make sure the skin renders enough fat and isn't rubbery?

Are you planning on smoking them, or just grilling? I've had pretty good luck smoking chicken and still getting crispy skin as long as I dry brine it a bit before hand, then I just smoke at 225 for an hour or two andto crisp it up before serving I'll dump a chimney full of coals in and flip them skin side down for a bit.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Lay the flap of skin on the grill instead of on top of the meat.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have had very good luck with this recipe: https://dennistheprescott.com/2016/04/18/ancho-chili-smoked-bbq-chicken-legs/ but you may not have time for doing an 8 hour seasoning step.

I don't generally mess with sauce, I do an hour smoke in 20 oz. of apple & pecan.
But doing it this way with high temp (350-400) at the end seems to keep the skin nice, it would especially crisp up with some sauce.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Making Pepper Stout Beef next weekend to deliver to some friends, how long does each phase generally take? I'm going to be buying what will probably be a huge chuck roast at Costco.

How long does a 5-6 lb.-er generally take at 225?
Waiting for it to become fork tender seems like it will take 3-3.5 hours
How long for the liquid to reduce?

Trying to decide when I should start and when to tell my friends I'll come by.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Hed posted:

Making Pepper Stout Beef next weekend to deliver to some friends, how long does each phase generally take? I'm going to be buying what will probably be a huge chuck roast at Costco.

How long does a 5-6 lb.-er generally take at 225?
Waiting for it to become fork tender seems like it will take 3-3.5 hours
How long for the liquid to reduce?

Trying to decide when I should start and when to tell my friends I'll come by.

I haven't timed it either time I've done it (and it's as amazing as everyone here says, btw), but I believe it probably took 10+ hours with a 4lb chuck roast. I'd think that cutting the chuck in two could speed things up and give you more "bark" without much downside.

My rule with smoking has been start early. It's way easier to hold things at temperature then it is to speed things up.

One of my neighbors gave me an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann) yesterday with some free charcoal. I have two small kids, so I've appreciated my MES's ability to set-it-and-forget-it, but I figured for free. Anyone thoughts on things I should try smoking on an ECB? I have quite a few chips, but little desire to go buy chunks. Can I just use chips in with the charcoal?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bought a 2.6lbs chunk of chuck (16 euro bucks yikes) last night, thinking it'll go in the smoker.

Any tips for a rub, or should I use the pastrami rub I still have left of... Foil or not?

edit: That pepper stout beef looks interesting....

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

Bought a 2.6lbs chunk of chuck (16 euro bucks yikes) last night, thinking it'll go in the smoker.

Any tips for a rub, or should I use the pastrami rub I still have left of... Foil or not?

edit: That pepper stout beef looks interesting....

salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder. Put it on right before you smoke, don't foil. Internal temp should be 135 when you take it off. Its not brisket, ribs or butt so it doesnt need ages to smoke. I would guess that it would take 3-4 hours at 225.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ended up starting my chicken on higher heat skin down to kickstart some fat rendering. Cooked it that way most of the way then flipped over and glazed a couple times, and flipped again to get just a little char. Came out exactly how I wanted. Skin was crisp in places, but more importantly not rubbery. Got decent charcoal flavor, but need to throw a handful of wood chips on next time to get some smokiness.