Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao it was an amazing loving finale double wam holy poo poo. with the way part 18 ends and the rest of season there is enough going on theorize your own ideas for years to come (almost as if it's a piece of art!) and just enough in that ending to lead into a season 4 (unlike season 2, which was meant to get tied up a few episodes in, back in the original season 3 plan)

it is loving :perfect:

really sorry you didnt get the meme filled neatly tied up bow you were expecting out of season 3 but you were all well warned when they kept saying THE ARTISTS DAVID LYNCH AND MARK FROST GOT 18 HOURS FINAL CUT TO DO WHATEVER THE gently caress THEY WANTED TO DO.

:angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Do we have a consensus on what the year actually WAS?

There was so much going on that I did not understand in that final episode, when get right down to it.

Also, I'm sure it's been noted but the vision that made Andy open his mouth in horror in Episode 14 was when he was shown the #6 Electrical Pole in its location in front of the home of "Carrie Page" in Odessa..

Coop's final question keeps bringing me back to "Is it Future or is it Past", as well as the indeterminate time period everything seems to be set in (a world where both cell-phones and rotary phones exist seemingly side-by-side at times).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
laura is the dreamer, i think that call before her final scream was sarah calling for laura on the morning they find her body.

laura is the one.

this is actually way more depressing come to think of it, abused by her dad laura junkie dreaming of a better world if she were dead where she is the most important person in the drama that follows is definitely some suicide watch thing.

or coop got hosed by cosmic horror lodge spirits.

or coop is richard dreaming of a better life.

or coop hosed up with the timelines and erased the primary one yet it still lingers inside carrie, how will they sort this dilemma out in and stop judy and rescue audrey from the white room mirror world in season 4?

will the roads meet coops wheels? is wally the one?

this show is loving incredible and given the reactions we clearly do not deserve it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Imagine waiting a week after ep17 only to get ep18, lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kaworu posted:

I think Cooper was asking the wrong question.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
now that it's aired, lmao, the final scene was the first scene to get leaked back in 2015.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/10/10/twin-peaks-leak-video-laura-palmer/

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

i don't think i could imagine the amount salt that would generate and it's pretty salty enough.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

Ha they definitely knew what was up

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The ending reminds me of Stravinsky's "L'Histoire du soldat," where a soldier loses his soul to the Devil, eventually manages to trick the Devil and win back his soul, and ends up living happily with his new bride - until he decides he'd be even happier if his mother could come live with them also, and when he goes to get her, he violates the terms of his freedom and the Devil claims him again.

Over one of the last scenes, the narrator states the moral:

You must not seek to add
To what you have, what you once had;
You have no right to share
What you are with what you were.

No one can have it all,
That is forbidden.
You must learn to choose between.

One happy thing is every happy thing:
Two, is as if they had never been.

Cooper should have contented himself with everything he had accomplished in the present.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So ignoring the main wtf-ness for a minute, what are we to make of when the real Diane returns? She and Coop share a very passionate kiss. Were they in a relationship? If so, when exactly? Because Dale is definitively single when he meets Annie (at least, I can't comprehend of a universe where Cooper just cheats on his partner without hesitation). So Coop and Diane aren't together when real Coop vanishes, but the kiss is like that of lovers or partners reunited, not friends or an ex (which I'd expect to be more of a strong hug).

It almost seems like Annie was retconned out of the series, except that Hawk actually mentions her in like ep 6ish.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao it was an amazing loving finale double wam holy poo poo. with the way part 18 ends and the rest of season there is enough going on theorize your own ideas for years to come (almost as if it's a piece of art!) and just enough in that ending to lead into a season 4 (unlike season 2, which was meant to get tied up a few episodes in, back in the original season 3 plan)

really sorry you didnt get the meme filled neatly tied up bow you were expecting out of season 3 but you were all well warned when they kept saying THE ARTISTS DAVID LYNCH AND MARK FROST GOT 18 HOURS FINAL CUT TO DO WHATEVER THE gently caress THEY WANTED TO DO.

Why do people insist on making awful, "I'm smarter than you"-esque posts like this?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Quantum of Phallus posted:

OK just finished them both back to back.

That was loving UNREAL.

Holy poo poo I feel emotionally destroyed. The highs of 17 to the crushing feeling as 18 ended. That last line. Oh my god.

I had this feeling too. It felt like the conceits of the world we'd learned had been thrown away and we're back to dealing with this cold malevolent universe. After they crossed over (and there's not much to go on here in terms of interactions to be sure and I may just be projecting my own confusion) all of the cheery eccentricity felt absent, like I was watching an unfailingly bleak show rather than one which balanced things out. The ending was dark and deeply disconfitting, and I can only speculate Judy (possessing Sarah I guess) had done something terrible (an intention indicated by Sarah smashing Laura's picture).

I've read someone saying the 'Laura' call Laura hears at the end is Sarah calling for Laura to wake her up the day after she was meant to be murdered

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What about the thought that these two timelines feed into each other (like a figure 8 almost), and leave impressions on one another. Like in one, Judy's is Carrie's workplace where she probably gets harassed and probably dreads coming in. In the other, this is represented by Judy being some cosmic horror that represents pure suffering. If Laura is the dreamer, then she could concoct up such a universal constant.

How that would fit in with the Tremonds and the rest of the Lodge happenings, I have no clue. Or I'm just as clueless as everyone else right now.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Why do people insist on making awful, "I'm smarter than you"-esque posts like this?

Idk, but it's ten times more annoying than people complaining

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

there are no smarter than you posts, no matter how many times you like to call people out for it in this thread. my point is the same, this is just what the show is.

but i did enjoy laughing at the salty negative reactions for a moment and how they were somehow wronged because they didn't get what they wanted and i have moved on to basking in this 18 hour david lynch artwork, as everyone should.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

So ignoring the main wtf-ness for a minute, what are we to make of when the real Diane returns? She and Coop share a very passionate kiss. Were they in a relationship? If so, when exactly? Because Dale is definitively single when he meets Annie (at least, I can't comprehend of a universe where Cooper just cheats on his partner without hesitation). So Coop and Diane aren't together when real Coop vanishes, but the kiss is like that of lovers or partners reunited, not friends or an ex (which I'd expect to be more of a strong hug).

It almost seems like Annie was retconned out of the series, except that Hawk actually mentions her in like ep 6ish.
I dunno, things do change after he sees Naido in the sheriff's station , I think that's one of the divergence points for cooper's change in personality or maybe the universe changing. Maybe after Wyndon Earle's wife died, is when he met/was in a relationship with diane?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

i think annie might have been a tulpa of some kind that meant to lure dale into the lodge so badcoop and bob could get out. maybe the final dossier will go into it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I've read someone saying the 'Laura' call Laura hears at the end is Sarah calling for Laura to wake her up the day after she was meant to be murdered

Just listened to them both back to back, the one in Ep18 is much slower than any of the calls from the pilot but it definitely sounds like Sarah.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Data Graham posted:

Can I just say I thought the owl cave/ring symbol turning into an infinity and that being the final clue like we're supposed to smack our foreheads and go "of course!" was as dumb as a butt.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I wasn't enjoying. There were just too many red herrings throughout the season and it caused the conclusion to have very little impact on me.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
Reports are coming in that, in some areas, Twin Peaks part 18 was pre-empted for a full hour of a butt farting forever and no one noticed

adamcantsleep fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 4, 2017

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
So is DougieCoop suppose to represent how much good Cooper can do when only using his subconscious? He fucks up when he tries to mess with both the future and past, and only seems hyper-competent when he's in the very present.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

The Diane Tulpa mentions that Coop had kissed Diane only once before the night Booper raped her. But they obviously had a very close and intimate relationship!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

kaworu posted:

The Odessa sign shows the 2010 census population, so it is at least 2010.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm going to need time and a full re-watch before I know what to feel about that finale. I wasn't hoping to have all questions answered, but I was hoping for a bit of closure or some of the transcendence you find with FWWM's ending.

One thing that gave me the willies was how inert Cooper was during the sex scene with Diane. It was like the Dougie/Janey-E coupling, except Dougie was obviously enjoying that. And Diane hiding Cooper's face made sense once I realized she was having sex with someone who looked identical to the man who'd raped her.

I knew Cooper trying to "save" Laura from being murdered was a bad idea. Seems like hubris on Cooper's part to think he can do that. The Twin Peaks we saw after that reminded me of the Stephen King novel 11/22/63 where saving JFK from assassination just ends up loving the world over big time.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It'd be fun for them to do more, but I don't know if they should given there's no way we'll ever get straight answers on these things unless Lynch is keeping a diary of where his head is at with some of the plot lines. From reading enough background on the tv show, it's pretty clear they make it up as they go and are just doing what would be interesting.

What a strange wonderful show.

(Dougie!)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How is there still no Sheriff Truman hat gif :11tea:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm going to need time and a full re-watch before I know what to feel about that finale. I wasn't hoping to have all questions answered, but I was hoping for a bit of closure or some of the transcendence you find with FWWM's ending.
I think Kyle Maclachlan/Mark Frost/Sabrina Sutherland/others did this a bit of disservice by saying stuff like "All will be revealed" and "It'll be very clear at the end" (all of them literally said this in one way or another). I'm fine with unanswered questions and ambiguity and the weird poo poo just being part of the scenery, but to get next to no answers at all, while being told "Hey hey just wait til the end, it'll make sense" by the creators is kind of daft. At least Lynch knows better than to make statements like that.

Regardless, I still loved the poo poo out of about 16.75 hours of this, which is more than I can say for basically anything else I've seen recently.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how's judy

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

how's judy

I'm not going to talk about Judy

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Your Parents posted:

I don't understand this constant criticism that Lynch "did it for himself" or was "unmoored from the audience" or whatever. it smacks of the taint of nostalgia. it's empty, meaningless babble that doesn't mean anything but "i liked the old one better" and takes twenty times more words to say it.

'Unmoored from the audience' is a valid criticism, in a way. Maybe it's not the best way of presenting it.

Art involves technique. Someone like David Lynch, who is known for 'artsy' work, is successful because he has a mastery of technique that allows him to evoke feelings, ideas, and concepts in ways that are different than usual, deeper even. But he's still operating within the framework of traditional narrative filmmaking, so some of the same rules hold. However, he is known to be someone who works on 'instinct'; the idea is that things just feel right to him, so he does them.

Most people's issues with The Return haven't been conceptual, they've been technical. I don't think 'sad, bleak ending' is entirely unexpected from Twin Peaks, but there is very little in the previous 17 hours of The Return, plus the entirety of the original show, that suggests an ending where Cooper tries to change the past and then ends up in some kind of alternate dimension. At least it didn't feel like it to me. You can make a perfectly reasonable argument that Lynch's technique faltered here.

I feel like with something like this, people are either afraid to engage with it critically, or just don't know how to. No one has any issues watching something like Game of Thrones and saying 'the pace is bad', or 'the way this scene was set up and shot did not convey what I think it was supposed to convey', or 'this moment of catharsis or tragedy or despair was not properly set up and thus was unearned', no one has any issues doing that because they kind of understanding the basic technique of a 'standard' Hollywood tv show like that.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 4, 2017

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Knorth posted:

Also, she was raped by his literal doppelganger so that may have made looking at him kind of uncomfortable for her

The way I took this scene when I first watched it was that it was catharsis for her -- she was finally having sex with coop but now with her totally in control

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cooper's behavior the whole time after leaving Gordon and Diane and going through that door was very strange. I think he was struggling to overcome the evil side of his being after Danzig was killed. Maybe sending part of his goodness into the new copy of Dougie made him too spiritually weak to accomplish whatever the white lodge spirits had planned for him. I think Cooper may have been trying to purposefully strand himself somewhere with Laura that was safe for her. His reaction to the body in her house in Odessa seemed more confused and disappointed than anything, like he knew something was going wrong. Maybe Laura was the source of the portal in her house, not Sarah or Leland or anything else. Season 4 will begin with another real-time road trip back to Odessa.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cromulent posted:

So is DougieCoop suppose to represent how much good Cooper can do when only using his subconscious? He fucks up when he tries to mess with both the future and past, and only seems hyper-competent when he's in the very present.
You know you've done hosed up when you try to travel through the darkness of futures past.

In fact that part of the poem kind of reads to me like it could be about Cooper in the season 3 finale now. References the future and past, to darkness, to how the Magician "longs to see" (Cooper himself longing to save Laura?), and hell even reference to there being two worlds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vikar Jerome posted:

I feel like art needs to be conclusive to be satisfying, even through speculation. And I don't mean that as in a magician giving away his secrets. If you're interpreting a piece of art, you can see it from any angle you want, but what's important is that you can come to a conclusion about what it is and what it means. Episode 18 doesn't give us nearly enough pieces of the puzzle to do that.

We can speculate all we want on what is going on in the back half of Episode 18 but the show just doesn't give us enough to work with to come up with anything concrete, and that's the issue I take with it. Theorizing means nothing if you aren't given enough information to try and piece it together.

To go back to the magician metaphor, you can try and guess how a trick is done and you may very well be correct, but you'll never know for sure because he won't tell you. But you saw the trick be performed, and you saw every move, and you saw the results of the trick, so you can make an educated guess based on what you know. Twin Peaks has only given us 2/3rds of those steps.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 4, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Cooper's behavior the whole time after leaving Gordon and Diane and going through that door was very strange. I think he was struggling to overcome the evil side of his being after Danzig was killed. Maybe sending part of his goodness into the new copy of Dougie made him too spiritually weak to accomplish whatever the white lodge spirits had planned for him. I think Cooper may have been trying to purposefully strand himself somewhere with Laura that was safe for her. His reaction to the body in her house in Odessa seemed more confused and disappointed than anything, like he knew something was going wrong. Maybe Laura was the source of the portal in her house, not Sarah or Leland or anything else. Season 4 will begin with another real-time road trip back to Odessa.

People keep talking about this evil side of coop but I thought that was just a doppleganger that was taken over by Bob, not actually a part of cooper. Is there evidence for this?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Episode 18 doesn't give us nearly enough pieces of the puzzle to do that.

can you say that definitively? have you combed through the rest of the show to see if there are more revealing clues you might not have picked up on before?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I feel like there are plenty of clues that could lead to quite a few conclusions, but there's no real hint as to which is the "correct" one, if there is one at all. And I'm fine with that.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I just took it all to mean that dale's mission isn't over and the story of Laura isn't done. If showtime wants to continue the story well there's the opportunity.

I was a bit disappointed by bobby not having much to do with the end there in episode 17. Everything with him, Shelly, and what is presumably their dead kid all sort of fizzled without any resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
And can we just put a moratorium on "ugh if you don't like [x] in the new season, you just want cherry pie and memes and fanservice"?

I loved most of this season and I wasn't expecting easy answers, but I think making the finale hinge on Dale Cooper's hubris ('cause that's a trait he's known for, right?) and a desire to save Laura Palmer when the series has never been about those things is a facile rebuff to honest criticism. I wanted mystery and ambiguity, but not using Grace Zabriskie in the finale save for one brief scene is a goddamn crime and a waste of Sarah's intriguing storyline.