Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cis autodrag posted:

All the people on maps with iTunes experience throw so much shade back at iTunes its crazy.

at least itunes hasn't killed anybody, unlike apple maps, so they don't have much room for criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
ios11 is very good on iPad

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cis autodrag posted:

All the people on maps with iTunes experience throw so much shade back at iTunes its crazy.

it really is bewildering how it keeps managing to get worse

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

it really is bewildering how it keeps managing to get worse

apple carplay is basically worthless until they allow decent map programs like google maps or waze to run on it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cant confirm, carplay maps is fine but missing the magic speed signs which will be in ios 11 until then it is also fine

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also apple maps uses waze traffic data without the monkey cheese avatars

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The_Franz posted:

apple carplay is basically worthless until they allow decent map programs like google maps or waze to run on it

if you haven't used maps in a while you should try it again.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my favorite apple maps memory is getting directions to a hotel that concluded with being instructed to park on a highway off ramp, jump a guardrail and walk to the destination

"welp, guess we can't figure out how to get there, you're on your own, good luck!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stymie posted:

my favorite apple maps memory is getting directions to a hotel that concluded with being instructed to park on a highway off ramp, jump a guardrail and walk to the destination

"welp, guess we can't figure out how to get there, you're on your own, good luck!"

u must live somewhere really bad if none of the map data vendors gave a poo poo to map ur town

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
itt a grown man whines about not being able to figure how to get across a road

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cis autodrag posted:

u must live somewhere really bad if none of the map data vendors gave a poo poo to map ur town

the hotel was in san diego, but i agree that apple maps have extremely lovely data

echinopsis posted:

itt a grown man whines about not being able to figure how to get across a road

"road" in this case being a multilane highway, and walking to the destination involving going another twenty blocks to actually arrive at the hotel, but i guess i'm picky about maps actually having accurate directions

Stymie fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 4, 2017

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Mapple is mostly TomTom shite with a kludge of traffic data thrown in and some data from Waze with whatever deal they made before google bought them lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

why would you wear headphones while playing 1 on 1 basketball? you're supposed to be trash talking the other guy

idk to listen to the only music on my device the curated album from apple u2 the age of innocence?!?!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cis autodrag posted:

i used it last week and it stil sucks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it's the only map app i know of that only shows stuff in your phone's language and doesn't show the local language names/addresses of stuff at all, which is basically useless if you need to use it in a non english speaking country

plus when i'm traveling abroad and i search for stuff my results are clogged up with things from back home that have similar names. in tokyo and want to find shinjuku? apple maps will helpfully show you the shinjuku cafe in some random city in your home country

it's total garbage.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
solution : never broaden your horizons

ufarn
May 30, 2009
95% of the time i yell in my car is at siri or maps

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

4 years ago my friend sent a correction to google and apple because neither map showed his address correctly. google just had the pin in the wrong location and they had it fixed in a matter of days. i just looked on apple again and according to them the street he lives on still doesn't actually exist.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 4, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
there's a park here in town that was built around 6 years ago that demolished a few city blocks of a street. apple maps still tries to get people to drive through the park because the street is still there on the map data. i've submitted this error multiple times and they've never corrected it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i always thought maps was just another dick to wave in googles face

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Boiled Water posted:

i always thought maps was just another dick to wave in googles face

but it's a scabby micropenis jiggled in the direction of googles thick, meaty haft, why would you ever try and compare them? please don't show me that at this point in time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google probably wouldn't let apple have turn-by-turn directions in their old maps app that used google maps without paying a shitton more money or sending more data back to google or both.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fart simpson posted:

it's the only map app i know of that only shows stuff in your phone's language and doesn't show the local language names/addresses of stuff at all, which is basically useless if you need to use it in a non english speaking country

plus when i'm traveling abroad and i search for stuff my results are clogged up with things from back home that have similar names. in tokyo and want to find shinjuku? apple maps will helpfully show you the shinjuku cafe in some random city in your home country

it's total garbage.

Google maps tells me which lane to take, tells me to follow signs that are actually there, and it's updated enough that streets under construction are taken into account for directions

it's pretty amazing

Apple maps is poo poo that I can't trust and I keep trying it every two weeks and it's improved maybe 20% in accuracy since release 4-5 years ago

BUT THE UI IS NICE

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

google probably wouldn't let apple have turn-by-turn directions in their old maps app that used google maps without paying a shitton more money or sending more data back to google or both.

google wouldn't let apple have turn by turn directions unless apple was willing to show google ads in the maps app and shared user info with google.

apple spends over a billion dollars a year so that you don't have ads in maps.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

google wouldn't let apple have turn by turn directions unless apple was willing to show google ads in the maps app and shared user info with google.

nice. always fuckin guessed it was something like that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

try filing a radar against iTunes sometimes, see how far that goes.

one day the head of iTunes was crossing the street in front of me as I was driving to work and for a split second I thought about ending this nightmare.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

yeah it was a shitshow when stebe spat his holistic dummy out and said ok apple maps is the official map app now with gently caress-all notice and no Goog map app available, totally screwing iOS users for the sake of pique.

e: how long ago was that?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

The Management posted:

one day the head of iTunes was crossing the street in front of me as I was driving to work and for a split second I thought about ending this nightmare.

sorry you have to regret this on your death bed

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

'Local Man Hero to Millions'

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'd like to go on the record and state that I am strongly against the murder of apple employees, no matter how awful their software is.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Google maps is free and works well so just use that.

Also ios11 is very good on iPad.

eric fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 4, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

I'd like to go on the record and state that I am strongly against the murder of apple employees, no matter how awful their software is.

you could just incapacitate him enough that he be taken off the project and put on say, home kit.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eric posted:

Google maps is free and works well so just use that.

Also ios11 is very good on iPad.

carplay doesn't allow 3rd party map apps, so the only choice is apple maps which tells me that i'm driving through the woods when i'm actually on a road which has existed for over 50 years

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah it was a shitshow when stebe spat his holistic dummy out and said ok apple maps is the official map app now with gently caress-all notice and no Goog map app available, totally screwing iOS users for the sake of pique.

e: how long ago was that?

on the other hand gently caress google spying on their users without explaining them whats going on. steve ftw

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The_Franz posted:

carplay doesn't allow 3rd party map apps, so the only choice is apple maps which tells me that i'm driving through the woods when i'm actually on a road which has existed for over 50 years

freedom isnt free

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

is it gps apps arent allowed or that nobody is making them because the carplay apps all sorta revolve around audio apps, not much else targets it in addition to the apple ones

idk what to say tho maybe live somewhere with good roads??

google maps does do something handy where it shows possible restricted access roads, so if you have a pass card you can use that route vs apple which just avoids those areas. idk how you tell google not to do that but ive not encountered a route where it was important yet so it isnt important to me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Management posted:

where are the ads in the google maps app? I've never noticed them. is it just prioritising certain search results or something

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Soricidus posted:

where are the ads in the google maps app? I've never noticed them. is it just prioritising certain search results or something

it's probably feeding all your dumb moves to their server and assigning ads based on your location in other apps

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

poty posted:

freedom isnt free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

it's probably feeding all your dumb moves to their server and assigning ads based on your location in other apps

oh. the only other app I log into with my google account is gmail though and that doesn't have ads either so idk what value they're getting from that

• Locked thread