Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

There's a code for Shadowrun?

The Cutting Room Floor has the details. It involves checking your match box a number of times while standing next to a specific flickering lamp post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ptarmigans posted:

The Cutting Room Floor has the details. It involves checking your match box a number of times while standing next to a specific flickering lamp post.

I'm not sure why they make it sound like it rarely works. I've gotten it to work on a real cart every time I tried it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The best Sim City game is Cities Skylines :colbert:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo this orchestrated snes Sim City song is amazing

https://youtu.be/akL7ugUgRhg

Wish whoever did that did it with all the tracks

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Beautiful. That is just asking for an MSU-1 audio hack (and mouse support).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

UnhandledException posted:

Beautiful. That is just asking for an MSU-1 audio hack (and mouse support).

Oh God yes

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Nah the best SimCity is SimCity 2000 for Windows 95 with the fanpatch that lets it run on Windows 7 and up (the patch fixes how the game attempts to open file browser dialogs, since attempting to do that crashes on 7 and up).

I can respect that. I like the flexibility that 3000 added to the game, but there was definitely some feature creep going on at that point. As long as we all agree that 4000 wasn't any good.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

That's from the second Orchestral Game Music Concert, a series of game music concerts by different Japanese orchestras that were held in the 90s.

They only did one more SimCity track, this one. drat shame there weren't more, that soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Have a piano medley, too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheMcD posted:

That's from the second Orchestral Game Music Concert, a series of game music concerts by different Japanese orchestras that were held in the 90s.

They only did one more SimCity track, this one. drat shame there weren't more, that soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Have a piano medley, too.

This is awesome. Thanks for posting it. The village theme is one of my favorites in gaming history

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This outrun toy is so cool.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Thats awesome. Would be great if he could get rid of the plastic creaking.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Too bad he put it in a Porsche.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

I can respect that. I like the flexibility that 3000 added to the game, but there was definitely some feature creep going on at that point. As long as we all agree that 4000 wasn't any good.

Yeah I mean stuff like the garbage system and the city trades system was kinda fun... but I really preferred how SC2K let you do things like build hydro dams and wind power and not have to worry about paying for power plant replacement. Also SimCity 3000 only wants to use a few fullscreen resolutions by default - and even when you patch it for others it will get upset if any dimension of the resolution is non-divisble by 8 (so like, a 1680x1050 monitor) and the windowed mode that you can force isn't very flexible either.

SimCity 2000 for Windows 95 will happily resize the window to any resolution, including running at full 4K resolutions happily (though at that point you'd wish they'd built a deeper zoom level or two!). I usually end up running it with 1920x1080 and it's just real nice to have the extra space to look over the city:

(This is also btw why I hate that like the GOG version of the game is only the DOS version in DOSBOX, which go above 800x600 or something. They could have put out a patched version of the Windows 95 release for Windows users at least.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I'm not sure why they make it sound like it rarely works. I've gotten it to work on a real cart every time I tried it.

Maybe some obscure internal timing difference makes it chancier when trying it via emulation.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Interesting "Next Gen" N64 controller on kickstarter. Worth a shot for $20.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

It came up when the kickstarter got going but it's probably worth mentioning again now that it's nearing the end.

This is the only kickstarter I've ever backed entirely due to the fact that new third party N64 controllers cost that much and I'm still desperately looking for a mostly functional controller for the system.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

That does look neat for $20.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

This is the only kickstarter I've ever backed entirely due to the fact that new third party N64 controllers cost that much and I'm still desperately looking for a mostly functional controller for the system.
The Hori mini isn't too bad. Unfortunately they're all north of $70 now.

I might drop 20 on this.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've read somewhere that the n64 and GameCube ports are identical internally so I believe there's a lot of N64 GameCube adapters that work.

There's code in the GameCube OS that suggested n64 controllers would work if I recall correctly

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Pledged. I agree that obvious Kickstarter risks aside, I can't see any particular great loss if this thing doesn't pan out, and plenty of potential good if it does.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It came up when the kickstarter got going but it's probably worth mentioning again now that it's nearing the end.

Ah, I must have missed it, I was MIA for a few months around the birth of my 2nd kid.

Ya, I have don't a couple. I am hoping they release an Atomic Purple version. It appears they may after they ship these out, they specifically mentioned Atomic Purple too.

Kinda wish it had internal rumble. They could have had a switch on it, or an internal switch that "disconnects" it when you insert a memory card or transfer pak. I'd be cool with having to insert AAA batteries if the N64 itself does not deliver sufficient power to the controller for internal rumble.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Kinda wish it had internal rumble. They could have had a switch on it, or an internal switch that "disconnects" it when you insert a memory card or transfer pak. I'd be cool with having to insert AAA batteries if the N64 itself does not deliver sufficient power to the controller for internal rumble.

Implementation cost and design/engineering considerations aside, I think it's wise of them to opt for a basic, default controller design that is the same weight as (or lighter than) a regular N64 controller. Including a vibrating mechanism would mean more weight by default for everyone, even if they're probably smaller, lighter and more energy efficient than what Nintendo could source in the mid-1990s.

There's also the issue of how the vibration should actually feel, so just including the plug on the front for an original Rumble Pak to handle that is the best option, because it should also give the controller some of the forward heft and vibratory feel of the original N64 controller that people remember and feel comfortable with. Otherwise, they get to deal with the inevitable comments saying that their vibrating mechanism is too weak or too vigorous or it just "feels strange" compared to the original Rumble Pak.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Implementation cost and design/engineering considerations aside, I think it's wise of them to opt for a basic, default controller design that is the same weight as (or lighter than) a regular N64 controller. Including a vibrating mechanism would mean more weight by default for everyone, even if they're probably smaller, lighter and more energy efficient than what Nintendo could source in the mid-1990s.

There's also the issue of how the vibration should actually feel, so just including the plug on the front for an original Rumble Pak to handle that is the best option, because it should also give the controller some of the forward heft and vibratory feel of the original N64 controller that people remember and feel comfortable with. Otherwise, they get to deal with the inevitable comments saying that their vibrating mechanism is too weak or too vigorous or it just "feels strange" compared to the original Rumble Pak.

Ya, balance/weight did cross my mind. I wonder how snug the connector is for inserting the pak. Whether it will have that loose rumble feeling or a little tighter that will make it vibrate more and have less of that "shake" feeling.

I'd just like internal for selfish reasons, I only have the rumble pak that I had as a kid. The last two I purchased from 2nd and Charles did not work (third party versions), and am too cheap/lazy to buy another.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Random Stranger posted:

SNES Sim City is legitimately the best port of the original. The only thing it's lacking is support for custom tilesets.

If you want the best Sim City game to play, 3000 is the best. 4000 starts to break down under the bloat and we do not talk about the 2013 Sim City.

I thought the best Sim City game was Cities: Skylines.

edit: holy poo poo, beaten way up the page there. Wow. My point still stands though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 5, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Pledged. I agree that obvious Kickstarter risks aside, I can't see any particular great loss if this thing doesn't pan out, and plenty of potential good if it does.
Seconding this. I've spent a lot more money on a lot dumber poo poo than this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Next Gen N64 Controller guys also made a next gen NES controller

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I've read somewhere that the n64 and GameCube ports are identical internally so I believe there's a lot of N64 GameCube adapters that work.

There's code in the GameCube OS that suggested n64 controllers would work if I recall correctly

Er no.

The N64 controller port has 3 pins - ground, data and 3.3 volt power.

The GameCube controller port has 6 pins - 5 volt power, data, ground, ground, not connected, 3.3 volt power

While it's relatively simple to build an adapter that plugs into the GameCube ports and lets N64 controller works, it's only in the same way that it's easy to build a USB adapter for just about everything. The data protocol used between a GameCube controller and the console is both more and less complex than the N64 - the GC has to handle more buttons and a whole second analog stick's info, but the N64 controller has to be able to handle data write/read to memory cards and controlling rumble paks and other such accessories.

A simple wire to wire set up is likely to get you scrambled input.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Next Gen N64 Controller guys also made a next gen NES controller

The b and a buttons like that are a disaster. Didn't they know everyone hated to dogbone controllers just for that reason?

What the hell are the 3d sticks for?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The b and a buttons like that are a disaster. Didn't they know everyone hated to dogbone controllers just for that reason?

Its compatible with PC and Mac, so the sticks and triggers are for that I guess. But I think the left analog stick does work on NES games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Everyone hated the dog bone controllers because the buttons were angled in the other direction. This one is actually good because it lines up with your thumb and like the Y/B and X/A button on the SNES.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

Too bad he put it in a Porsche.

Yeah, especially since there was the exact toy in a Ferrari made for Outrun to begin with he could have used...

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mak0rz posted:

Everyone hated the dog bone controllers because the buttons were angled in the other direction. This one is actually good because it lines up with your thumb and like the Y/B and X/A button on the SNES.

Yes, it has the correct angle for buttons

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got my 240V power adapter for my US SNES.

Now to get some US SNES games for it.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

You Am I posted:

Got my 240V power adapter for my US SNES.

Now to get some US SNES games for it.

Don't forget Japanese ones too!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

Oh yeah I'm an idiot. I thought it was just because they weren't straight.

Man the dog bone controllers suck so bad. It's like trying to play Super Mario Bros on the default settings on the 3DS virtual console.

Why are the drat things $30 on ebay? They suck!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The B and A buttons are also slightly farther apart on the dog bone. That's why I don't like them as much.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nintendo have released a manual for Starfox 2, including some behind the scenes material like some of the design documents (in Japanese).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I got a copy of star Fox 2 here (one of those repros) and, while it's good, it's also laggy as poo poo and unplayable for more than 30 minutes. It's more of a novelty.

I know the snes mini won't have the lag issues, but that doesn't matter because you literally can't buy one
gently caress you, Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It won't be the same ROM dump you have and the hardware isn't going to change it that much. Chill and wait for the new ROM dump then emulate it.

• Locked thread