Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the sidescroller levels in Cuphead look beyond tedious and brainless and they're going to drag this game way down. That first levels were literally just "copy+paste these enemies into a stage everywhere" with nothing else going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Update: I got breakfast

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

the sidescroller levels in Cuphead look beyond tedious and brainless and they're going to drag this game way down. That first levels were literally just "copy+paste these enemies into a stage everywhere" with nothing else going on

They also look really tough for the first levels of the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DLC Inc posted:

tbh the bosses don't actually look a lot better. they don't look as tedious but actually watching them being fought it looks like all of the time spent on the sidescroller levels could and should have been spent on spicing up their attack patterns to make them a bit less repetitive cause there are times where they're fighting a single phase of a boss for like 20 seconds and it's just sort of doing the exact same attack pattern over and over again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/FreakInASheet/status/904560301802061824

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bq9a0h66ek

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Not sure why people are griping about enemies being thrown at you in cuphead. That always happens in contra games

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 4, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Enemy placement seems pretty haphazard and there aren't many interesting movement gimmicks to the platforming.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not sure why people are griping about enemies being thrown at your in cuphead. That always happens in contra games

contra has level design

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

The Colonel posted:

contra has level design

fair enough i guess, I remember hearing expanding and adding levels like that is the reason why it took so goddamn long to release.

If they stuck with the straight boss rush though, it could hardly be compared to something like Furi

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
I'm taking 9/11 off because I'm flying out for business today and my boss is cool.

Do we talk about mobile games on here? What mobile games do you guys play that do NOT require a connection to cell service or Wi-Fi?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Burrito Bison: Launcha Libre

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HoboNews posted:

I'm taking 9/11 off because I'm flying out for business today and my boss is cool.

Do we talk about mobile games on here? What mobile games do you guys play that do NOT require a connection to cell service or Wi-Fi?

Hoplite, Siralim 2

e: Void Pyramid, the best rpg on mobile

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Sick all weekend, dragged myself to work, oh right it's labor day

:rip:

lets hang out posted:

Update: I got breakfast

Oh good! :yum:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Void Pyramid, the best rpg on mobile

Hey this looks pretty neat. I've never heard of it.

Bonus: it's free.

AND on Steam!?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's called labor day because you're supposed to be at work laboring on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey this looks pretty neat. I've never heard of it.

Bonus: it's free.

AND on Steam!?

:yeah:

It's clever, has a fun setting, and there's a little grinding but it makes up for that by being cool instead. I liked to play it in my bed after hours as a short bedtime story for myself. There's another earlier game by the same dev that's working looking at too!

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Aww my rotating sig thing doesn't seem to work anymore :(

I wanted to have my cool stuff on here but now I just got the rest of it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Have any cool horror games come out in the past year or two that I can play on console

I was gonna just replay Siren but it'd be cool to have something new (I still haven't played RE7 so maybe I'll get on that also I've already played Until Dawn/Alien Isolation)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not new but the remake of White Day came out recently and is apparently okay if you don't mind a bit of 2004 jank still present.
Also I've heard good things about Observer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

SOMA, Hellblade, Observer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Buy a PSVR and play RE7 and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So was Tacoma cool? I feel like nobody's talking about that game in the slightest. And I before you ask I like Walking Sims so I'm just curious about why this one came and went

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not new but the remake of White Day came out recently and is apparently okay if you don't mind a bit of 2004 jank still present.
Also I've heard good things about Observer.

Yeah I just learned this existed a few days ago, I had never heard of the original but it looks cool

exquisite tea posted:

I've played SOMA but I had been waiting for a sale on Hellblade/Observer even though I'm pretty sure they're exactly the kind of thing I'd be into

i guess I'll add White Day/Observer/Hellblade to my spooky october game list

haveblue posted:

Buy a PSVR and play RE7 and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.

I would like to do this but PSVR is more expensive than a switch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

So was Tacoma cool? I feel like nobody's talking about that game in the slightest. And I before you ask I like Walking Sims so I'm just curious about why this one came and went

I was going to get Tacoma but I held off for a bit and then Hellblade totally blew me away, and now I kind of don't want to play another walking sim for awhile.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Any Nuclear Throne tips? I can't get past the scrapyard.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exquisite tea posted:

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I just learned this existed a few days ago, I had never heard of the original but it looks cool

I've played SOMA but I had been waiting for a sale on Hellblade/Observer even though I'm pretty sure they're exactly the kind of thing I'd be into

i guess I'll add White Day/Observer/Hellblade to my spooky october game list

I would like to do this but PSVR is more expensive than a switch

This is more for anyone on the fence about SOMA but I got it during the recent sale and I went straight through it. It was pretty great! I'm also waiting for Hellblade and Observer to go on sale because I got plenty to keep me occupied till then.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

I've been avoiding reading about it, but all I've heard is that it just isn't as interesting as Gone Home. I'll personally grab it on sale

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If the Cuphead guys are smart they'll have an "original" mode or something that's the game as they envisioned it. Like Hard Corps Uprising has an arcade mode that's straight Contra style shooting and a console based mode where you spend coins to upgrade your characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Kiwami which surprised me because I've always burned out on Yakuza games before I complete them up until now. It was good but I'm glad 6 is moving on and updating stuff because it still played like a game that's just had bits added to it rather than changed from the PS2 game.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

HoboNews posted:

If you like solitare-ish games try Card Crawl and Card Thief; they are made by the same guy. They are both pretty fantastic time-wasters and have fantastic art styles. Just make sure to put on energy saver mode in both games (especially Card Thief) because it tends to burn a lot of battery if you don't, though you miss out on the sweet animations of the guards.

Also shout-out to whatever goon made Dungeon Raid which is the best bejeweled-ish clone game (shame they haven't updated in like a few years now though so it runs a bit sluggish)

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 4, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish i'd bought dead cells instead of 20xx to begin with cause this game kicks way more rear end. turns out a roguelite works infinitely better when it's not relying on the structure of a game that needs, uh, level design

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tag yourself, I'm "Totally Normal Cat"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gay Cat

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am Twin Cats because I own two Siamese cats. One is grey but I am Twin Cats anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
definitely Insomniac Cat

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Pub Cat

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

gently caress marry kill

gamer food (doritoz, gaming grub, twizzlers, taco bell)

gamer clothing (overwatch character, gamer meme, sonic)

gamer drink (G-Fuel, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Monster, Soy Sauce)

• Locked thread