Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

isnt pop punk an oxymoron

Punk was extremely popular when I were a lad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

Link to the start?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686051&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=299

It starts around here, the initial United stuff might be a page or three back? It picks up in the next few pages.

Favourite part is Goon A apparently having a drinking game with their "friends" about how awful Goon B is

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny when actors and writers make fun of their fans.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can and maybe even should button the bottom button.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can and maybe even should button the bottom button.

I agree with vests, but not suit coats.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
you shouldn't back into parking spaces in a parking lot. It takes way longer than parking normally and blacks up the lane

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

you shouldn't back into parking spaces in a parking lot. It takes way longer than parking normally and blacks up the lane

You do realize it's a zero-sum game because you spend more time, and block the lane, coming out of the parking space?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

You do realize it's a zero-sum game because you spend more time, and block the lane, coming out of the parking space?

WRONG! It takes way more time to back in to a space than to back out because you have to line up your car with the cars in the adjacent spaces!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

edit: drat your ninja edit!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

WRONG! It takes way more time to back in to a space than to back out because you have to line up your car with the cars in the adjacent spaces!

No I don't. I just need to make sure no-one's watching as I ram my car in there any which way.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
doctors should be able to provide whatever medicine can help their patients not live in constant pain or even die without the government screaming at them because it raised the patient's risk of cancer from .000000000001 to .000000000002

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't like haikus.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

spit on my clit posted:

doctors should be able to provide whatever medicine can help their patients not live in constant pain or even die without the government screaming at them because it raised the patient's risk of cancer from .000000000001 to .000000000002

is this an issue in some places?

i have a friend with a crohn's like disorder and he needs to take some meds with some really loving potent side effects to get it under control on occasion, as in '~10% of patients put on this medication will develop cancer' levels of side effect - so long as the patient is informed and consents (and no better alternatives exist) there are usually no further issues with prescribing these kinds of drugs

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
I feel like the 'opioid' crisis really falls into that. Trying to crack down on these things because people might abuse them just leaves people who do need them in massive pain. People who are seriously addicted will still get the opioids, perhaps bankrupting themselves in the process, and likely not seek help.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

hard counter posted:

i have a friend with a crohn's like disorder and he needs to take some meds with some really loving potent side effects to get it under control on occasion, as in '~10% of patients put on this medication will develop cancer' levels of side effect - so long as the patient is informed and consents (and no better alternatives exist) there are usually no further issues with prescribing these kinds of drugs

I don't think most patients are fully informed though. They just trust what the doctor says, but the doctor usually isn't 100% open. My dad for example was recently switched to a prescription of fentanyl. All they told him was that it was the only thing they could give him that would work, after years of being prescribed oxycontin or whatever. They only talk about the pain relief part, never the addiction part.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Das Boo posted:

I don't like haikus.

what we normally think of as a haiku is a naive western viewpoint

http://www.nahaiwrimo.com/home/why-no-5-7-5

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

starkebn posted:

what we normally think of as a haiku is a naive western viewpoint

http://www.nahaiwrimo.com/home/why-no-5-7-5

I was moreso thinking of the distillation of poetry into one line of thought or emotion, but I also learned something new. So hey!

I think we've briefly discussed it before, but another PHUO is that I really like poetry but there's an inordinate amount of it that's bad. Like almost all of it. Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Rendezvous with Death and such are a great time, though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Cards against Humanity sucks but even when I enjoyed playing it the 'make a haiku' card is absolute garbage. whoever put a suggestion in the rules to end every game with that is an idiot

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Cards against Humanity

I'm with you there, it's not even a game in my opinion

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

starkebn posted:

sure, but it gets a much better reception at parties than The Campaign for North Africa

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cards Against Humanity is fun if you play with people who are actually funny and not people who just think they're funny. Of course it has limited replay value because the jokes just get repeated.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hard counter posted:

Pretty much what Robo said was what I was going to say, and yeah, I agree with those conditions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cards against humanity sucks because the phrases are already dirty. In Apples to Apples you have to do the work yourself which is why it's better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cards Against Humanity is fun in its appropriate context, it's goons who suck

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Integrating retarded kids into normal classrooms was a really bad idea in the 80s/90s/2000s and I don't know if they're still doing it but if they are they should stop. It doesn't help either group and if anything makes it more stressful for both. The retarded kids are going to get picked on, they're gonna get more stressed out from that happening, the other kids aren't going to be properly informed/able to understand what's going on and eventually they're gonna be separated in later grades anyway. I'm as liberal as they come but it's such a dumb "everyone is equal" idea without thinking of the consequences and even when I was in elementary school I was like "why the gently caress are they doing this"

I remember being in second grade and one of the more unpopular girls still got a laugh for putting a "kick me i'm retarded" sign on the slow kid in class

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember being in second grade and one of the more unpopular girls still got a laugh for putting a "kick me i'm retarded" sign on the slow kid in class

I'm sorry you got kicked.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

:rip:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It makes me sad when threads get re-railed from the true hilarity of goon meltdowns.

I was reading the marketing failures thread that I haven't read since say, roundabouts June 1, and hoo boy there is a doozy of a meltdown right after I quit. I'm over marketing moves give me more of that.

Lol, I like how the melt-down poster's Great Social Cause was bougie as hell. She was positioning herself as The Champion of the Lower Class while advocating for slightly more comfortable low-cost flights for herself on other people's dime.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Sep 4, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

starkebn posted:

The best way to play it is totally straight. You should just try to play the most logical card every time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Integrating retarded kids into normal classrooms was a really bad idea in the 80s/90s/2000s and I don't know if they're still doing it but if they are they should stop. It doesn't help either group and if anything makes it more stressful for both. The retarded kids are going to get picked on, they're gonna get more stressed out from that happening, the other kids aren't going to be properly informed/able to understand what's going on and eventually they're gonna be separated in later grades anyway. I'm as liberal as they come but it's such a dumb "everyone is equal" idea without thinking of the consequences and even when I was in elementary school I was like "why the gently caress are they doing this"

For someone who is as liberal as they come it's amazing that you're less socially aware than Michael Scott, dog.

I mean you shouldn't be throwing it around at all as an insult imo but jesus dude

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Please avoid using retard as a pejorative :) I know that a lot of folks don't find it "problematic" but I think that there are other words that could be used without insulting the intellectually disabled.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Sep 4, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I got suspended once for fighting with a kid because he shoved the mentally challenged girl in my class down.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When a disabled person, mental or physical, is a dick, it's the most awful, awkward and frustrating thing in the world. That's probably a secretly popular opinion, though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

:smith:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

For someone who is as liberal as they come it's amazing that you're less socially aware than Michael Scott, dog.

I mean you shouldn't be throwing it around at all as an insult imo but jesus dude

I wasn't using it as a pejorative, emmyok

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Das Boo posted:

When a disabled person, mental or physical, is a dick, it's the most awful, awkward and frustrating thing in the world. That's probably a secretly popular opinion, though.

Mentally disabled people should not be allowed to get away with dickish behavior. Many are essentially adult children and should be disciplined as such.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are you really going to argue that it's the medically used term?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's space between sanitized medical terminology and pejorative.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I mean sure you have phrases like "retarded growth" etc. but that usage is becoming less comoon. The insult is derived from the old medical terminology and using it to refer to the disabled people it was initially a label for can't not be pejorative regardless of your intent. People with disabilities are pretty clear about not liking the term either, weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The_Rob posted:

The best way to play it is totally straight. You should just try to play the most logical card every time.

Just seems more like sitting around reading grandad's latest dirty email than a game to me

:shrug: