Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I saw a Minecraft once. I barely survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Putty posted:

this is me

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This was pretty weird. Decided to catch up on some Men Drinking Coffee videos. Got through their second one on Metroid Maker and literally seconds after I got a Google survey asking if I watched it, and then whether two other videos would be a good suggestion for me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

This was pretty weird. Decided to catch up on some Men Drinking Coffee videos. Got through their second one on Metroid Maker and literally seconds after I got a Google survey asking if I watched it, and then whether two other videos would be a good suggestion for me.

Was it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Those coffee men will do anything to make a quick buck!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I really don't understand this trend for thumbnails. Do people really go "Wow! This person's making a stupid face! I've GOT to check out this video now!"

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

I really don't understand this trend for thumbnails. Do people really go "Wow! This person's making a stupid face! I've GOT to check out this video now!"

Yes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jamesman posted:

That is actually subdued for a youtube thumbnail. Needs more red circle and red arrow and maybe a luscious woman's butt thrown in.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

For the record, this isn't something we have any control over. I did notice that the Mega Man Maker video about Cut Man being startled and falling in to the toilet made it in to YouTube's suggested video algorithm, so it could be due to that.

You are the new age Nielsen family.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

judge reinhold posted:

I did notice that the Mega Man Maker video about Cut Man being startled and falling in to the toilet made it in to YouTube's suggested video algorithm, so it could be due to that.

I'm glad even Youtube's algorithms realize when there's a video that needs to be seen by everyone.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Judge reinhold sacrifices children for subscribers

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Putty posted:

Judge reinhold sacrifices children for subscribers

then clearly he isnt sacrificing enough.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

judge reinhold posted:

For the record, this isn't something we have any control over. I did notice that the Mega Man Maker video about Cut Man being startled and falling in to the toilet made it in to YouTube's suggested video algorithm, so it could be due to that.

You are the new age Nielsen family.

Oh yeah, not implying it was something you had done did. It was just strange because it was so immediate, and that google has never asked me anything about youtube before, and that the one time they do ask me it's about something LP specific. I did give the other two videos they asked about 5 stars as suitable recommendations though, so you've got that going for you. One of them was new, one of the Sonic Mania ones and the other one was old but don't remember exactly what it was.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

O god I caught up. Toilet is the character find of 2017. Everyone has to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJsSxWFnaQ0

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The closest you'll ever get to a new old-school style Retsupurae from Slowbeef:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie-baXz3ld8

I don't know who this Dean Takahashi is, but it's perfect IMO.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DivisionPost posted:

I was worried it was going to end with Slowbeef pretending to choke on those cashews into unconsciousness.

Watching that game-play video again, what makes it so hilarious/frustrating is that you can tell right away that you can't jump high enough to clear that cylinder from the ground. Like if it just failing to jump-and-dash from the cube to the cylinder, I'd look at it and think, "Well, I guess you just have really precise jumps in this game." Instead, the video makes it look like the game's being played by someone's dad who hasn't tried playing video games since 1994.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hmmm, this cube I'm jumping off ALMOST made it. Guess I'll try rubbing my character against this other cylinder and jump for a while...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually went searching for the original footage to make sure it wasn't slowbeef pulling a fast one on me. It's not. It's real, it's powerful and it's my friend giving me a headache.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm still hoping Slowbeef and Diabetus will LP another glorious trainwreck on the level of Sonic '06. It was like watching a horror film as the game puts Slowbeef under Pavlovian conditioning to the point he's afraid to go fast.

Him breaking down laughing when he got a game over as Silver and realized how much he had to redo was a magical moment. :allears:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

DivisionPost posted:

You know, what always gets to me with these kind of videos isn't the bad gameplay. It's the fact that they chose to publish the footage, especially when it's in a professional games journalism context.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
On the one hand I feel kinda bad because everyone has a different level of skill, and I've certainly embarassed myself by playing horribly before.

On the other hand he's kinda getting paid to show off what the game is like, and I don't really want to play it anymore.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Wow that dude is real bad at Cuphead.

Wow why are my recommended videos all about the death of games journalism?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Well, there IS a viable market for evaluating games based on how well someone who can't read the language in which they're published can play them, and it would have to be in the form of uncommented video.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

DivisionPost posted:

Slowbeef has gone full circle. He has now become the unfunny facecam man in an M. Night twist nobody could have predicted.

Golden Goat posted:

Wow why are my recommended videos all about the death of games journalism?

You cannot kill what was never alive.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm so glad games journalism is dead to make way for the new wave of lengthy journalism:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
We are entering a new era of games journalism.

Games journalism journalism.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm just happy we're finally getting to the point that we're finally expecting game journalists to have qualities and standards beyond "I'm a game journalist because I call myself a game journalist."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is why I hate watching LPers make games look bad that aren't that bad, because it's not just journalists that do it. Often happens with old weird games that the players don't take seriously, make no progress and then get bored of the game because it feels like nothing interesting is happening. After watching the pre-stream footage from Judge's Ride To Hell LP I actually tried that Star Stable MMO out of curiosity, because I wanted a chill out game and it looked cute, and I was curious how bad the controls were re: acceleration (Best using the scroll wheel to accelerate the horse BTW, that works consistently). It actually works pretty well, although it's very slow paced, and it's a cute game to just chill out with after a lovely day, or if you're tired after a hard game. Of course, for the target audience of 12 year old girls, the horse-simulation stuff like the daily races probably have a lot of charm too. I feel about it the same way that DarknessTheCurse felt about the snes Barney game - I don't like it much to play, but I'm not the target audience.

A few of the games I've played are like that too, I see a game being made fun of, and think "Is it really that bad?" then play it myself and really enjoy it, Dog's LIfe and Pitfall The Lost Expedition fit into that category as well. I thought Pitfall had a lot of charm despite it's pitfalls (:v:) and think that MoominGraffiti did a poor job showing the better aspects of it.

Personally my approach when doing an LP is "trying to show the game off on it's own merits". If it has mechanics I'll try to make decent use of them, if it has collectibles I'll at least show a few off and if a puzzle comes up I'll explain the mechanics behind figuring it out. If the plot has holes in it or is wafer thin, I'll look for environmental storytelling or some kind of supplemental into in the game, like the radios in Dogs Life, and see what it gives me to work with.

I apologise if this got a little :goonsay: but that's just how I feel.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Youtube picked a great time to change their UI and make the Video Blocker extension completely nonfunctional so these dipshits can show up in recommended videos again.

Really great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, you don't need to be good at videogames to be a games journalist, but you should understand the basic language of the media you're trying to critique, and "jump from a high place to a higher place" is platformer 101. At the end of the day dude might've been distracted, or hungover, or stressed out, his mind blanked out, poo poo happens, so it's not this CRIME against the medium of videogames...but it's still hilarious and kinda baffling.

I don't mind if you suck in an LP as long as you're personable because it's been years since LPs became more about being entertaining than being able to show the game played on a high skill level. As long as you're not pulling a DSP and you're able to progress/engage the thing you're LPing, it's fine.

Dias fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 6, 2017

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Dias posted:

it's not this CRIME against the medium of videogames

Disagreed

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Danaru posted:

On the one hand I feel kinda bad because everyone has a different level of skill, and I've certainly embarassed myself by playing horribly before.

On the other hand he's kinda getting paid to show off what the game is like, and I don't really want to play it anymore.
But that's the thing; I'm really bad at fighting games and RTS games, and if you watched me play one, it'd be clear that I don't have any idea about what the hell I was supposed to do. However, I admit that, and I know that I'm not qualified to give a real accurate appraisal of those types of games. This isn't an issue of journalistic integrity, it's that something like this or that 'Polygon Plays Doom' video are put out by writers that focus on video games, and you would assume that they've played a lot of games and would have gotten pretty skilled at them.

Even still I still wouldn't expect someone to pick up a game they never played before and master it in seconds. No one (no one sane, at least), would watch a first impression video and expect them to play it flawlessly. There is an expectation of basic competence and observation.

But instead:

Why do you have to turn into a debacle about elitism or whatever the hell.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I have :words:.

The whole episode basically just goes to show that a great many people are more interested in espousing the view that this proves that the journalist in question is some kind of fraud because they got stuck on this early bit of a video game than taking a step back and realizing what an a) deep b) nuanced and c) fascinating issue is the notion of conceptual difficulty in video games and the implicit duty of... I'm gonna say, presentation in the capture of footage for journalistic, critical or even narrative purposes.

Like, there's this whole library of Video Game poo poo that those of us who've spent most to all of our lives playing videogames basically take for granted - I came dangerously close to having to use the word "privilege" to describe it - and it's not just stuff like "go right, but always check left first", it's this entire mindset you use to approach the early stages of most games in which you're somehow using exactly the right amount of analytical thought to drift hazily though the obligatory tutorial while possibly learning any important lessons it may have for you, even if sometimes developers fail at getting those lessons across sometimes. Something like ten to twenty to thirty years worth of concepts that are forgotten to everyone that knows them and a roadblock for anyone who doesn't... or who just hasn't used them in a while... or experiences any momentary failure to remember the things they don't know they know. There aren't a lot of great generalisable examples of "good tutorials" but I am prepared to say that Cuphead's doesn't rank among their number, because it is testing the immediate grasps of multiple concepts in multiple contexts through different delivery methods at the same time, and requires a very quick switch from your Rote Learning Brain to your Puzzle Brain without announcing such. (You've learned to do at least a short jump by reading and doing, you might have skimmed the bit about high jumps, the closest hint is explaining the last step in the process to overcome the current obstacle, and the first step is literally to stop engaging with the step by step tutorial in the middle of it). These are a lot of words to describe the demands of asking someone to do a high jump off a box followed by an air dash, but, well, the process of learning stuff is conceptually kinda not simple!

So the notion that getting stuck there for a minute - not a particularly long time, lest we forget - makes you a Bad Gamer is bullshit. But, does it make you a bad journalist, or a bad LPer,? That one's even more fascinating. Journalists have a pretty explicit duty to not misrepresent sources and handle carefully their own experience with a matter as appropriate for context, but the experience of playing a game is a pretty conceptually messy idea, because it happens at the collision of a personal experience with a more concrete work (and to a much more visceral extent than with, say, a movie that happens to have room for interpretation). So is it in some way misrepresentative to showcase what is, for want of a better word, failure at a videogame, in a way that implicitly represents it as difficult, or at least more boring than it "actually" is? On the one hand this may not be the "typical" or "intended" experience, but on the other, isn't it a fact that it showcases a failure for which we can argue that the game is partially at fault? Is it not equally misrepresentative to present as a "first" or "blind" run something which has been rehearsed? For LPers the factors at play are more complex still, because we typically presume not only to be informative, or critical, but also entertaining, and it may not be very appealing to watch someone fail a tutorial repeatedly... although maybe sometimes it is because there's no accounting for taste the documentation of the mastery process can be made to be compelling, and sometimes we just like watching people overcome things.

So that's all fascinating, but on the other hand, obviously this person having trouble with a bit of a videogame is unworthy of claiming to have any familiarity with videogames, or critical merit thereof, and I am obviously better than him as a person because I can make a jump.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

I mean, dumb, lovely people have pulled the "you aren't a real gamer if you can't beat Dark Souls with your eyes closed" line in the sand bullshit since forever now. He's totally got a point that the perspectives of people who aren't well-versed in video games do tend to get shouted down by the old guard, especially in more niche circles.

It might be down to messaging. And also to stop relying on rushed-out, anonymous gameplay footage. Video of a game being mysteriously played like poo poo doesn't do anybody any favors, whereas a dude going "look how bad I did at Cuphead, I think maybe this game is a little too hard" is at least a potentially meaningful observation.

Edit: And of course there's always potentially further context. Was he playing the game in the middle of a crowded show floor, unable to hear any audio cues? Was he playing it on the Sunday morning of a three day convention, totally exhausted from the previous two days? On top of the usual possibilities of just having a bad day/drunk/high/hungover/brain fart/whatever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 6, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Putty posted:

Slowbeef has gone full circle. He has now become the unfunny facecam man in an M. Night twist nobody could have predicted.

It really is sad at this point.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the world is robbed of anything of value because what appears to be the most generic platformer of all time got portrayed unfairly in a video.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Max Wilco posted:

But that's the thing; I'm really bad at fighting games and RTS games, and if you watched me play one, it'd be clear that I don't have any idea about what the hell I was supposed to do. However, I admit that, and I know that I'm not qualified to give a real accurate appraisal of those types of games. This isn't an issue of journalistic integrity, it's that something like this or that 'Polygon Plays Doom' video are put out by writers that focus on video games, and you would assume that they've played a lot of games and would have gotten pretty skilled at them.

Even still I still wouldn't expect someone to pick up a game they never played before and master it in seconds. No one (no one sane, at least), would watch a first impression video and expect them to play it flawlessly. There is an expectation of basic competence and observation.

But instead:

He's just the worst at video games and journalism in general. He negatively reviewed Mass Effect 1 becuase he didn't realise you could level up. Not to mention him claiming the Cuphead guys made Meat Boy. No basic ability in the field he works in, either with games or for basic fact finding. Most of his articles are about technology rather than games, and I wonder if he blunders as often with those articles as he does with games.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the expectation comes from beat journalism, where while you might not expect Dan Rather to be an expert at everything he reports on, the people he calls on as the political, technical, or artistic correspondents to give the individual reports are in fact expected to have actual credentials in their field. if you go look at white house correspondents, all of them at absolute minimum have been doing that poo poo for years under the tutelage of another, more experienced reporter, so they get good sources, know enough to interpret what that source tells them effectively, and generally have qualifications to make them more suitable to do this work than your uncle bob.

this is not the case with self-proclaimed 'games journalists'. many do not have real sources anywhere in the industry and the truly bad ones do not even have a real interest in games - they simply see how many people pay attention to game news and work to get some of that attention, because an audience is easy to monetize this day and age.

there are definitely tons of people who get ridiculously angry about whatever dumbfuck hill they want to die on. that's not okay. i am not attempting to lionize the toxic assholes who are so disconnected from life and humanity that the only time they feel anything is when they're flaming/trolling. they need to get a loving grip and i totally understand where you're coming from in the whole Bad Gamer being bullshit (frequently it is).

but particularly in this case this guy can not answer the very basic question that every single reporter everywhere has to answer on a daily basis: "why should i give your opinion more weight than anyone else's?" it's a basic credibility thing that anyone who wants to be seen as an authoritative journalist needs to establish. that's why most real publications have things like standards, practices, and review policies - it goes to the heart of their credibility.

if this guy was being honest and just saying 'i'm a dude on the internet and what is this' there'd be nothing to take the piss out of him for. he'd just be another reviewer or let's player and people could take or leave him as they needed to. but instead there's this dumb prestige grab by calling himself a journalist and he fails the basic litmus test on what that actually means. but most folks do, which is why people in the community at large get their opinions from morons like us.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 6, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

It might be down to messaging. And also to stop relying on rushed-out, anonymous gameplay footage. Video of a game being mysteriously played like poo poo doesn't do anybody any favors, whereas a dude going "look how bad I did at Cuphead, I think maybe this game is a little too hard" is at least a potentially meaningful observation.

In the related videos, I found one by Gamespot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvzafejESrg) that shows off the entirety of the first level, as well as some of the bosses later in the game (though that might just have been a video straight from the devs). It's only ten minutes long, but gives a better impression of the game. Then I found this video by Xbox On, where there's a narrator discussing the game and how difficult it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUm-DYGOWu4).

Both do a much better job of displaying what the game is like in a more succinct manner, as opposed to just 26 minutes of silently messing up and failing to finish the first level.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Youtube picked a great time to change their UI and make the Video Blocker extension completely nonfunctional so these dipshits can show up in recommended videos again.

Really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

The game's tutorial until that point is straight forward and simple. Maybe calling him a bad gamer is bullshit, but for what it's worth, I would not let this person drive.