Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SKULL.GIF posted:

why wouldn't bernie just pick a leftist in this scenario

VPs don't *have* to be senators/governors

Killer Mike debating Mike Pence would be tremendous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

nice meltdaoun

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
ellison for vp because i want to see what racist nickname trump comes up for him

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Concerned Citizen posted:

well even at best, that depends how many nonvoters you're getting vs. how many people you're losing. if it's a wash it might mean you lose (depending on where they live). i just think the best possible candidate is one without a built-in hate club in the party, but it seems like things are getting worse these days on that front.

well at minimum we know that over 4 million people more voted for obama 08 than hillary 16

and we also know that the population has grown by about 19 million in these eight years

being able to pull several million more people with an actual platform that directly and understandably helps people, real people, not empty suits, would swing the election enormously

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

K E I T H

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/904742203335077889

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

well at minimum we know that over 4 million people more voted for obama 08 than hillary 16

and we also know that the population has grown by about 19 million in these eight years

being able to pull several million more people with an actual platform that directly and understandably helps people, real people, not empty suits, would swing the election enormously

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/881161169469403137

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

it continually amazes me how fantastic Keith is and how Obama deliberately and rapidly intervened to make sure Keith wouldn't be DNC lead

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

it continually amazes me how fantastic Keith is and how Obama deliberately and rapidly intervened to make sure Keith wouldn't be DNC lead

Bernie and Keith supported organized labor and striking workers.

Hillary has made herself scarce at these type of events.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EugeneJ posted:

If Bernie won the nomination, how many Hillary supporters would stay home for the general out of spite?

definitely more than the 25% of hillary primary voters who voted for mccain in 08

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

etalian posted:

suddenly I remember obama's complete and utter silence about the 2011 Wisconsin labor protests

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

suddenly I remember obama's complete and utter silence about the 2011 Wisconsin labor protests

Bad dems only show up to collect union cash but don't want to be caught standing at picket line.

Also doesn't help that Top union upper management somehow think that centrist dems are true friends for organized labor movements.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

2! 4! 6! 8! We're content to sit and wait!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

etalian posted:

wouldnt want to tarnish that teflon slick corporate image with labor solidarity, now woud ya?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

SKULL.GIF posted:

i think this is essentially a separate issue. like no matter who is nominated, of course you need a good campaign and a good platform with a candidate that people want to elect. that goes without saying, it's always priority number one. you don't have to worry about people in the party being salty if you're winning the general election by a lot - good example of this, obama 08. but i generally assume presidential elections will be close, even if trump seems to be doing his best to make sure that isn't the case - people have a tendency to self-justify returning to their innane partisan preference. and if it's close, there's a potential for a small number of dissenters to be decisive.

the question i have is whether there is any potential candidate that would actually be acceptable to most everyone in the party? are we doomed to the salt mines regardless of who wins in 2020? to an extent, it seems so, which is somewhat distressing to me. i'm curious if anyone can come up with names because i can't.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Sep 4, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ex post facho posted:

wouldnt want to tarnish that teflon slick corporate image with labor solidarity, now woud ya?

Bad dems can run on the Make Sucking Coporate Dicks Great Again slogan.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

etalian posted:

Bad dems can run on the Make Sucking Coporate Dicks Great Again slogan.

"Walmart Is My Waifu" campaign.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lol he doesnt want his crappy slogan to die just yet. is he gonna run in 2020?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Is Keith a father? You don't get that sexy dad bod and dad attire without at least cranking out a few kids

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

lol he doesnt want his crappy slogan to die just yet. is he gonna run in 2020?

somebody gotta fill that lincoln chaffee/m'om role in the 2020 primaries

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

still kinda upset this wasnt called "father figure"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

keith 2020

time to have an actual black muslim prez

this

etalian posted:

Bernie/Ellison ticket

also this

also, you suck CC

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Squizzle posted:

still kinda upset this wasnt called "father figure"

now I'm upset about that too

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Frijolero posted:

Is Keith a father? You don't get that sexy dad bod and dad attire without at least cranking out a few kids

ya his kid seems p rad, running (ran?) for city council in mpls

http://www.citypages.com/news/keith-ellisons-son-jeremiah-is-running-for-the-north-minneapolis-city-council-seat/405057466

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the question i have is whether there is any potential candidate that would actually be acceptable to most everyone in the party? are we doomed to the salt mines regardless of who wins in 2020? to an extent, it seems so, which is somewhat distressing to me. i'm curious if anyone can come up with names because i can't.

was just posting about this in the trump thread but candidates like randy bryce/nina turner/keith ellison, or hell, even al franken, would be great over the clipped and sculpted corporate suits that the democrats keep on delivering us

I'm not saying that any of these four names I provided should be the candidate, I'm saying that the type of person they are -- genuine, sincere people with sincerely held leftist beliefs -- would be much more generally acceptable to all the various groups in the democrat wing

bernie came out of nowhere because of exactly that, and a lot of the anti-bernie anger is less because of specifically bernie himself, and more because centrists are trying to find a scapegoat to dump all their anger and rage at losing the election, to blame someone for Daring to oppose Her Majesty

right now, looking ahead to the election after the next one, which is three years away and literally anything could happen in that time interval, warren seems like the best bet to bridge the sanders and clinton wings of the party

as much as I'm not thrilled about kamala harris I think a lot of the leftists would just grit their teeth and vote for her. she's much more palatable than clinton. kirsten gillibrand is also another candidate that the clinton wing would embrace, and she's been fighting to reposition herself as staunchly anti-trump and taking as many leftist positions as she reasonably can (israel BDS aside) -- also an advocate of single-payer and raising the minimum wage

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Over Easy posted:

now I'm upset about that too

lets form a single issue party and run for prez

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

"This is about understanding, again, that health care should be a right, not a privilege. And it's also about being smart," Harris said.

Right on it's own is a meaningless term. Ever heard of right to work? It's the coldly utilitarian "It's about being smart" that should scare people.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Being smart = giving wealthy people more money and power

Hth

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

how come nobody is fighting this hard for John Kerry

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

Howie would have won

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the dems have already determined who the nominee for 2020 will be, otherwise cc wouldn't be out this early to start griping about how we all need to start settling for the pragmatic and electable now.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fat, bearded, rambling al gore would have won, not "thin" sculpted measured centrist al bore

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Kerry saved Caro, Hillary killed Vilerat.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i think the dems have already determined who the nominee for 2020 will be, otherwise cc wouldn't be out this early to start griping about how we all need to start settling for the pragmatic and electable now.

it was my decision, and the person i chose was john delaney. if playing the bipartisan card is centrist, then delaney me in.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wowza here he is:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/11/19/protests-rage-in-minneapolis-over-police-shooting-of-jamar-clark.html

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

warren's heart may be in the right place, but her prescription is a total lost cause. pro-union labor laws at this point are just a tiny band-aid ityool 2017 when the capitalists can credibly just threaten offshoring or encourage a race to the bottom among the states.

there is no threat of these pro-union labor laws even being enacted, though. the capitalists have so much disparity in wealth that they just buy the politicians. right to work is being passed in more states. the democratic party VP nominee was in favor of right to work. obama ended up only giving lip service to unions when campaigning and did not push for the specific, concrete pro-union policies he had campaigned on even when he held a democratic supermajority in both houses of congress. of course the reason for this is because obama and the rest of the corporate democrats are aligned with the capitalist community and their interests.

trying to fight the capitalist forces arrayed against unions has been a losing proposition for 80-ish years now since FDR died. fighting inside the capitalist framework is destined for failure.

society basically needs to be transformed away from traditional capitalist employer/employee relationships to worker co-ops or some other democratizing force in the workplace.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

Kerry saved Caro, Hillary killed Vilerat.

:bernpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
not everything is computer touching or manufacturing, and not everything can be offshored. you can't offshore builders or waitresses or cleaners or delivery drivers or any number of menial but essential occupations whose workers are currently treated as less than human.

multi-faceted, holistic solutions are needed to the hosed situation we're in and strong protections for organized labor are an important piece of the puzzle.

automation is coming, but there's a lot of techno-fetishism around say self-driving cars that is in no way rooted in reality right now. but, unlike offshoring it is indeed a credible threat that can be deployed by capital against labor right now. loving lol if you think appeasement of these monsters is going to help though.

Sapozhnik has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Sep 4, 2017

• Locked thread