Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Bernie can't promise manufacturing jobs!!"

Is the most disingenuous, feckless, centrist position ever. No, you can't make it 1950s again, but you can certainly invest in infrastructure and a green economy that will generate millions of manufacturing jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SKULL.GIF posted:

suddenly I remember obama's complete and utter silence about the 2011 Wisconsin labor protests

I don't see the big deal. I mean Wisconsin is roaring right now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/904762253165154306

Names mentioned:

Senator Kamala Harris
Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.
Representative Tim Ryan
Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand
Governor Terry McAuliffe
Senator Bernie Sanders
Senator Elizabeth Warren
Representative John Delaney

Who the gently caress is Tim Ryan? I keep hearing his name during the past few days but I have no idea who he is.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Sep 4, 2017

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Frijolero posted:

"Bernie can't promise manufacturing jobs!!"

Is the most disingenuous, feckless, centrist position ever. No, you can't make it 1950s again, but you can certainly invest in infrastructure and a green economy that will generate millions of manufacturing jobs.

Yea but good jobs are racist

Can't have that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/904762253165154306

Names mentioned:

Senator Kamala Harris
Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.
Representative Tim Ryan
Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand
Governor Terry McAuliffe
Senator Bernie Sanders
Senator Elizabeth Warren
Representative John Delaney

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

society basically needs to be transformed away from traditional capitalist employer/employee relationships to worker co-ops or some other democratizing force in the workplace.

Every business with over 1,000 employees should turn into a coop or at least partially one.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Vilerat.com rates this as PARTLY TRUE:

- He is a cat who really is gone
- It is a shame how he carries on

BUT

- There is no Russian queen for him to be the lover of

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
what the absolute gently caress is my new av lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

automation is coming, but there's a lot of techno-fetishism around say self-driving cars that is in no way rooted in reality right now. but, unlike offshoring it is indeed a credible threat that can be deployed by capital against labor right now. loving lol if you think appeasement of these monsters is going to help though.

I'm extremely thristy for human enhancement but only through a national health service as a counterbalance to automation. We should honestly start investigating silicon valley companies for human experimentation with their 'biohacking'

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

it's weird when centrists attack leftist policies from the right in ways that can be applied by right-wingers to centrist policies, like "how are you going to pay for all that free stuff"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

jBrereton posted:

what the absolute gently caress is my new av lol

RIP to HOW HIGH THE MOON

another poster lost to time

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait for 2020 Hillary to tell me we can't have nice things, but we can sure as heck bomb Muslims.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

not everything is computer touching or manufacturing, and not everything can be offshored. you can't offshore builders or waitresses or cleaners or delivery drivers or any number of menial but essential occupations whose workers are currently treated as less than human.

multi-faceted, holistic solutions are needed to the hosed situation we're in and strong protections for organized labor are an important piece of the puzzle.

automation is coming, but there's a lot of techno-fetishism around say self-driving cars that is in no way rooted in reality right now. but, unlike offshoring it is indeed a credible threat that can be deployed by capital against labor right now. loving lol if you think appeasement of these monsters is going to help though.
well, how were these labor protections eroded in the first place? the economic system itself ultimately results in the destruction of these labor protections. even if somehow you win the absurd longshot of getting some important labor protections enacted again in the current political climate, they will ultimately be undone again.

my main point is focusing on just unions in the context of the traditional employer-employee relationship is a doomed cause. it can help ameliorate suffering in the short-term, but ultimately it is destined to fail. the focus needs to be on creating economic relationships where the important economic decisions are made democratically and not by a tiny minority.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Every business with over 1,000 employees should turn into a coop or at least partially one.

People keep going on about the internet revolution while purposely ignoring one of it's most revolutionary applications so they can make more wifi salt shakers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

People keep going on about the internet revolution while purposely ignoring one of it's most revolutionary applications so they can make more wifi salt shakers.

Could you elaborate?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lmao manufacturing jobs are not actually necessary for prosperity

the reason people want those jobs back is because they were well-paid and didn't require formal education. why is that? literally due to the intervention of the feds after ww2 when they realized their army of ptsd-afflicted soldiers was going to come home to poo poo-tier jobs that would lead to another bonus army

factory jobs did not pay well before that. they were the premier example of wage slavery. there is literally nothing stopping the same sort of process from lifting today's poo poo-tier jobs like retail and fast food up so that people in them can have comfortable lives other than the avarice of the wealthy

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just can't believe that people loved Hillary for being "realistic."

What kind of loveless idiot wants to be told that better things aren't possible???

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Frijolero posted:

What kind of loveless idiot wants to be told that better things aren't possible???

hall monitors

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frijolero posted:

"Death is certain."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jazerus posted:

lmao manufacturing jobs are not actually necessary for prosperity

the reason people want those jobs back is because they were well-paid and didn't require formal education. why is that? literally due to the intervention of the feds after ww2 when they realized their army of ptsd-afflicted soldiers was going to come home to poo poo-tier jobs that would lead to another bonus army

factory jobs did not pay well before that. they were the premier example of wage slavery. there is literally nothing stopping the same sort of process from lifting today's poo poo-tier jobs like retail and fast food up so that people in them can have comfortable lives other than the avarice of the wealthy

once again centrists take the absolute wrong and bubbled interpretation of what the people are yelling at them

"we want good jobs!!!" ---> "wow, they really love factory work. guess we'll fight to bring back factory work."

"the economy is crushing us!!!" ---> "wow the average rube cares a lot about the dow index. guess we'll fight to expand the economy."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Frijolero posted:

Thatch 👏 Queen 👏 Is 👏 Bae

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

punk rebel ecks posted:

Could you elaborate?

the saltero will revolutionize salt shaking as we know it

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Could you elaborate?

Running coops through the internet so you could get worker owner decisions quickly and efficiently as well as feedback on the elected management.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Frijolero posted:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/04/how-liberals-fell-in-love-with-the-west-wing

quote:

But promoting or endorsing any specific policy orientation is not the show’s true raison d’être. At the conclusion of its seven seasons it remains unclear if the Bartlet administration has succeeded at all in fundamentally altering the contours of American life. In fact, after two terms in the White House, Bartlet’s gang of hyper-educated, hyper-competent politicos do not seem to have any transformational policy achievements whatsoever. Even in their most unconstrained and idealized political fantasies, liberals manage to accomplish nothing.

The lack of any serious attempts to change anything reflect a certain apolitical tendency in this type of politics, one that defines itself by its manner and attitude rather than a vision of the change it wishes to see in the world. Insofar as there is an identifiable ideology, it isn’t one definitively wedded to a particular program of reform, but instead to a particular aesthetic of political institutions. The business of leveraging democracy for any specific purpose comes second to how its institutional liturgy and processes look and, more importantly, how they make us feel—virtue being attached more to posture and affect than to any particular goal. Echoing Sorkin’s 1995 film The American President (in many ways the progenitor of The West Wing) it delights in invoking “seriousness” and the supposedly hard-headed pragmatism of grownups.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

logikv9 posted:

the saltero will revolutionize salt shaking as we know it

*smalt

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

god that's dumb

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

liberals know

the problem is the pets, not the pet shop

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*my shrek nuts

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I will never forget that one of the major proposals of the west wing White House was a tax deduction for college tuition that they then completely forgot about after Jed got reelected

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

saltr

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm not entirely convinced sorkin wasn't writing the show ironically

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

salt.ly

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I will never forget that one of the major proposals of the west wing White House was a tax deduction for college tuition that they then completely forgot about after Jed got reelected
art imitates life

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

salt.io

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

violent revolution to purge these people is the only acceptable outcome

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SHAKE

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

u misspellt nothing, op

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

apologies for not quoting, the awful app doesn't embed gifv

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

once again centrists take the absolute wrong and bubbled interpretation of what the people are yelling at them

"we want good jobs!!!" ---> "wow, they really love factory work. guess we'll fight to bring back factory work."

"the economy is crushing us!!!" ---> "wow the average rube cares a lot about the dow index. guess we'll fight to expand the economy."

the ahistoricity of modern politics is one of the things that bothers me the most, there is absolutely no examination of why the economy used to be good and why it is now bad, ever

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm not entirely convinced sorkin wasn't writing the show ironically

sorkin left at the end of the season where the reëlection happened tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

logikv9 posted:

apologies for not quoting, the awful app doesn't embed gifv

what