Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Jazerus posted:

the ahistoricity of modern politics is one of the things that bothers me the most, there is absolutely no examination of why the economy used to be good and why it is now bad, ever

to be liberal is to be ahistorical :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jazerus posted:

the ahistoricity of modern politics is one of the things that bothers me the most, there is absolutely no examination of why the economy used to be good and why it is now bad, ever
america is already great

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jazerus posted:

honestly this is probably why MAGA actually resonated with people

you used to be able to make a decent living with just a high school education (and if you were a white male)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Squizzle posted:

what

yes it does, at least on an roid

idk it's not working

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jazerus posted:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jazerus posted:

lmao manufacturing jobs are not actually necessary for prosperity

the reason people want those jobs back is because they were well-paid and didn't require formal education. why is that? literally due to the intervention of the feds after ww2 when they realized their army of ptsd-afflicted soldiers was going to come home to poo poo-tier jobs that would lead to another bonus army

factory jobs did not pay well before that. they were the premier example of wage slavery. there is literally nothing stopping the same sort of process from lifting today's poo poo-tier jobs like retail and fast food up so that people in them can have comfortable lives other than the avarice of the wealthy

It's amazing how few people realize this.

Lawman 0 posted:

Running coops through the internet so you could get worker owner decisions quickly and efficiently as well as feedback on the elected management.

That is...pretty interesting actually.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ex post facho posted:

nice meltdaoun

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
suck zone: TV analysis station

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

if you want to stare into the abyss, read this (depressingly convincing) thread

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/904587945142874112

alternatively she's now feeling as if she's in the kingmaker position

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

logikv9 posted:

suck zone: TV analysis station

excuse me, but you are looking for the nyuck zone, where you can find reruns of the Stooges greatest hits from 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

anime was right posted:

alternatively she's now feeling as if she's in the kingmaker position

:shillary:: I hereby declare you the king of poo poo

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
“Every time your boss got on the stump and said, ‘It’s time for the rich to pay their fair share,’ I hid under a couch and changed my name…The top one percent of wage earners in this country pay for twenty-two percent of this country. Let’s not call them names while they’re doing it, is all I’m saying.”

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jazerus posted:

its because they think the economy is good right now op

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Concerned Citizen posted:

the question i have is whether there is any potential candidate that would actually be acceptable to most everyone in the party? are we doomed to the salt mines regardless of who wins in 2020? to an extent, it seems so, which is somewhat distressing to me. i'm curious if anyone can come up with names because i can't.

the only super delegate to endorse both Hillary and Bernie in the primary: Peter Welch

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the economy is really good right now and better than ever before (for a tiny subset of people)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

logikv9 posted:

idk it's not working

settings ➡️posts➡️embedding

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

white sauce posted:

“Every time your boss got on the stump and said, ‘It’s time for the rich to pay their fair share,’ I hid under a couch and changed my name…The top one percent of wage earners in this country pay for twenty-two percent of this country. Let’s not call them names while they’re doing it, is all I’m saying.”

was that rob Lowe character or the hilarious campaign manager they pulled in for Jed and Alan Aida's campaigns

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

All I know about Aaron Sorkin was that he didn't like Occupy Wall Street and had his show state that SDS was the left wing version of the Tea Party.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Weeping Wound posted:

excuse me, but you are looking for the nyuck zone, where you can find reruns of the Stooges greatest hits from 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-jMjrI-Es

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jazerus posted:

lmao manufacturing jobs are not actually necessary for prosperity

the reason people want those jobs back is because they were well-paid and didn't require formal education. why is that? literally due to the intervention of the feds after ww2 when they realized their army of ptsd-afflicted soldiers was going to come home to poo poo-tier jobs that would lead to another bonus army

factory jobs did not pay well before that. they were the premier example of wage slavery. there is literally nothing stopping the same sort of process from lifting today's poo poo-tier jobs like retail and fast food up so that people in them can have comfortable lives other than the avarice of the wealthy

https://twitter.com/NewOrleansDSA/status/904677664962826241

https://twitter.com/CSIFinancialGrp/status/904724050274009090

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

All I know about Aaron Sorkin was that he didn't like Occupy Wall Street and had his show state that SDS was the left wing version of the Tea Party.

he liberal

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

flippin burgers is more useful than anybody above the janitor at csi fin group does, bucko

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
SUCK ZONE! *slams down 2016 democratic primary notebook before the pages scatter into the wind*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

flippin burgers is more useful than anybody above the janitor at csi fin group does, bucko

sounds like, morally, the csi financial group is....

*puts on sunglasses*

....bankrupt

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It cost $3 million to make a single episode!? That's more than double the cost of a fully animated cartoon!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

It cost $3 million to make a single episode!? That's more than double the cost of a fully animated cartoon!

also double the length tho??

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was that rob Lowe character or the hilarious campaign manager they pulled in for Jed and Alan Aida's campaigns

Idk, guillotine them all

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is that the only point of comparison you have to anything?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Squizzle posted:

also double the length tho??

Still shocking.

Nanomashoes posted:

Is that the only point of comparison you have to anything?

Yes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ellison for vp because i want to see what racist nickname trump comes up for him

anti-semite

whoops, wrong party!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

i think this is essentially a separate issue. like no matter who is nominated, of course you need a good campaign and a good platform with a candidate that people want to elect. that goes without saying, it's always priority number one. you don't have to worry about people in the party being salty if you're winning the general election by a lot - good example of this, obama 08. but i generally assume presidential elections will be close, even if trump seems to be doing his best to make sure that isn't the case - people have a tendency to self-justify returning to their innane partisan preference. and if it's close, there's a potential for a small number of dissenters to be decisive.

the question i have is whether there is any potential candidate that would actually be acceptable to most everyone in the party? are we doomed to the salt mines regardless of who wins in 2020? to an extent, it seems so, which is somewhat distressing to me. i'm curious if anyone can come up with names because i can't.

unlike skull.gif I don't think most leftists would coalesce behind harris or gillibrand, bc of their past actions/votes. And I don't see lanyards voting for ellison or turner.

the only one I see kinda-sorta fitting your bill would be elizabeth warren.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

white sauce posted:

violent revolution to purge these people is the only acceptable outcome

lol, not mention the episode in which the hero works with the GOP to cut social security and the opposition to this plan are depicted as deranged fanatics

quote:

Consider a scene from Season 2’s “The War at Home”, in which Toby Ziegler confronts a rogue Democratic Senator over his objections to Social Security cuts prospectively to be made in collaboration with a Republican Congress. The episode’s protagonist certainly isn’t the latter, who tries to draw a line in the sand over the “compromising of basic Democratic values” and threatens to run a third party presidential campaign, only to be admonished acerbically by Ziegler:

“If you think demonizing people who are trying to govern responsibly is the way to protect our liberal base, then speaking as a liberal…go to bed, would you please?…Come at us from the left, and I’m gonna own your rear end.”

The administration and its staff are invariably depicted as tribunes of the serious and the mature, their ideological malleability taken to signify their virtue more than any fealty to specific liberal principles.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

sounds like, morally, the csi financial group is....

*puts on sunglasses*

....bankrupt

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

*smashes guitar on mister csi financials face*

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

if you want to stare into the abyss, read this (depressingly convincing) thread

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/904587945142874112
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/904593024424058880

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Sep 4, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nah they won't do that.

The moderator will deffo ask Bernie about "concerns" that he seems to keep running against women, tho.
Statistically he's run for president against more white men than women, and has never ran against a black person

Makes you think
:thunk:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

gently caress the concept of a "starter job" in fast food for anything but advancing upward within the franchise. It doesn't make any sense that I see people that can complete a forensic science major having to flip burgers to pay for their tuition. It's not like the only people working there are 12th grade dropouts who got into fights at school. In fact, that's more of a reason that they should be paid $15/hr. People from all walks of life must suffer a long walk through the wastelands of Foodcourtia before arriving at their destinations.

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Sep 4, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

galenanorth posted:

gently caress the concept of a "starter job" in fast food for anything but advancing upward within the franchise. It doesn't make any sense that I see people that can complete a forensic science major having to flip burgers to pay for their tuition. In fact, that's more of a reason that they should be paid $15/hr. It's not like the only people working there are 12th grade dropouts who got into fights at school. People from all walks of life must suffer a long walk through the wastelands of Foodcourtia before arriving at their destinations.

yeah schools important gently caress anybody workin to support their family

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah schools important gently caress anybody workin to support their family

lol @ the idea of having a family in tyool 2017

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
how would people feel about Presidential Candidate Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
I don't think he's running, but he was the only senator to endorse bernie and is fairly charismatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

smug n stuff posted:

how would people feel about Presidential Candidate Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
I don't think he's running, but he was the only senator to endorse bernie and is fairly charismatic

he's actually really good on the issues and has a bunch of DC allies but has nearly no national presence nor any indication that he can run an inspiring campaign

being an old white male is also a strike against him right now

he's probably in the perfect spot already to have the greatest impact he can, tbh

• Locked thread