Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The voice of Philp Jeffries that Booper talks to in episode 2 is absolutely not Jeffries. It doesn't sound anything like the teapot voice.

i think the general consensus is that that was sarah palmer/the mother (judy? have we determined that that thing was judy??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Little Mac posted:

Lodge-Laura also screams when she is teleported away. I'm not entirely sure the scream is indicative of the Black Lodge being responsible for that, though it's possible. It may just be Teen Laura screaming because being turned into Carrie Page isn't an altogether painless experience. Not sure.

I'm thinking along the same lines with the screaming teleportation. The Lodge denizens seem to be able to yank her away at will when she's in a place they have domain or influence over. Maybe when she disappears in the woods with Cooper, she's being reclaimed. Just had a thought that that may tie back in with the scene in episode 8 when the Fireman is sending the Laura orb into the image of Earth. The Fireman is older there than in the original series, so it seemed doubtful to me at the time that he was in the past and sending Laura down in reaction to the nuke at the same moment in time. Watching the arc of the orb originally in that scene, I had assumed it was headed for Twin Peaks in Washington, but it looks like it may be dipping before the cut away. Maybe that's her being redeposited in Odessa, after Cooper brings her somewhere she can be retrieved.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm wondering if the Laura-scream is supposed to be happening simultaneously across all realms of reality. Her being plucked from the past, her being whisked away from the Lodge, and her at her house in Twin Peaks all being concurrent events due to time and space fuckery. Do we know if it's the same sound clip?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, okay. In ep 2, Cooper peers out of the Red Room to see Booper making the drive towards the electric pole (when he crashes and gets arrested), which is the same drive Cooper makes with Diane in 18, and immediately after that the evolution of the arm makes him NON-EXIST-ENT and he enters the glass box.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

:aaaaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't believe I never noticed One Punch Man's green glove in episode 2 :stare:

I wasn't looking for it because I had no reason to at the time, but still.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

romanowski posted:

i think the general consensus is that that was sarah palmer/the mother (judy? have we determined that that thing was judy??)

I don't know exactly what to think about that, but a lot of this season seems to add significance to this scene from the end of S2 (starts at ~1:16 - poo poo quality, but it's the only clip from this scene on Youtube, I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWR7tIvGxUw

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

romanowski posted:

The impression I got was that Judy / Mother are the same thing, and that it either lives inside Sarah Palmer (in that timeline, at least) or is using her as a vessel of some kind, which is maybe why Cooper wanted to bring Laura home - to confront it.

But there's also a pretty strong implicit link between Sarah and the Jumping Man - her face is superimposed over his mask when Booper meets Jeffries above convenience store, and the weird proboscis that pokes out of her face-portal seems to be mirroring both the Jumping Man's nose and the frog-roach's. So maybe it's just implying that all the black lodge spirits are pieces / projections of Judy rather than individuals? I dunno.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The show all but spells out Sarah is Judy and that her and Jumping Man have some relation. I wanna know where he was going when the crew goes up the stairs at the end.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

What were those russian episode blurbs, and how much did they end up saying about the finale? I wonder what I would've thought if I'd seen them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6tox8l/s3e18_did_this_russian_streaming_service_just/dlmgvee/

They give away the time travel stuff but not much else.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Can't believe it all came down 2 that phish song afterall...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
So when did Judy or whatever possess Laura's mom?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I've always thought that the themes of aging / old age were really thick in season 3, either by chance (because david lynch and a ton of the actors are old) or by design. There are so many characters who are old, sick, dying of cancer, or dead. So many marriages and relationships have fallen into dust. And, in retrospect, the finale captures so much of what is terrifying about growing old: relationships that fade (Diane), a general sense of "the spark" dying out (Cooper's strange, dead-eyed malaise), the realization that nothing is quite as pure as you thought it was when you were younger (Laura is messed up and possibly a murderer), and then finally, your connection to the world itself dying—they way Cooper staggers in the street, hands out, asking what year it is, etc, feels a lot like Alzheimer's; but all old people have the same sensation that the world outside their windows has become unfamiliar. I'm not saying that the show is about getting old, but when you're as old as David Lynch the scariest thing of all (Judy) isn't so much a monster as it is the effects of the passage of time and that definitely impresses on his work.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't believe I never noticed One Punch Man's green glove in episode 2 :stare:

I wasn't looking for it because I had no reason to at the time, but still.

At the time I thought it was a cast on his arm or something but I was too busy being mesmerized by James' coolness to look closer.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I thought Sheriff Truman had given Ben Horne the room key. In fact I'm almost certain of it. But he had it when Coop asked for it. That has to be intentional, there's no reason to include the scene where he gives it to Horne otherwise.

I wrote a few days ago about my theory that there were multiple universes occurring throughout the season. The key would be another very strong hint in that direction.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

regulargonzalez posted:

I thought Sheriff Truman had given Ben Horne the room key. In fact I'm almost certain of it. But he had it when Coop asked for it. That has to be intentional, there's no reason to include the scene where he gives it to Horne otherwise.

I wrote a few days ago about my theory that there were multiple universes occurring throughout the season. The key would be another very strong hint in that direction.

It's the other way around: Ben gives Frank the key as a momento for Harry.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Polo-Rican posted:

I've always thought that the themes of aging / old age were really thick in season 3, either by chance (because david lynch and a ton of the actors are old) or by design. There are so many characters who are old, sick, dying of cancer, or dead. So many marriages and relationships have fallen into dust. And, in retrospect, the finale captures so much of what is terrifying about growing old: relationships that fade (Diane), a general sense of "the spark" dying out (Cooper's strange, dead-eyed malaise), the realization that nothing is quite as pure as you thought it was when you were younger (Laura is messed up and possibly a murderer), and then finally, your connection to the world itself dying—they way Cooper staggers in the street, hands out, asking what year it is, etc, feels a lot like Alzheimer's; but all old people have the same sensation that the world outside their windows has become unfamiliar. I'm not saying that the show is about getting old, but when you're as old as David Lynch the scariest thing of all (Judy) isn't so much a monster as it is the effects of the passage of time and that definitely impresses on his work.
I do really think the a major part of this season has been about aging and the passage of 25 years worth of time really means.

It's interesting that you brought up the Alzheimer's comparison- I had made the comparison before with that to Cooper as Dougie, with the acknowledgement that there it seems to be played for comedy (Albeit not an inherently mean spirited comedy which is why I think the character works at all). In a way the very end of season 3 is very similar, but with the comedic warmth stripped away entirely, and what only looks like horror left.

I think that kind of shift is very Twin Peaks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oneforthevine posted:

Yeah. Jade finds the key in her car after giving Cooper a ride, and mails it to the Great Northern. Ben is like "Uh we haven't used keys like this in years" and ultimately gives it to Frank like you said.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kawalimus posted:

What were those russian episode blurbs, and how much did they end up saying about the finale? I wonder what I would've thought if I'd seen them.

there where poo poo like "freddie completes his destiny" "sheriff truman gets an unexpected call" "laura runs away from james" "pete goes fishing" "cooper drives carrie to twin peaks" without any context and it was hilarious.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The epilogue has me thinking this might be the true Cooper before he split and his split occured before the show ever started. I don't remember exactly when the scene is shown but there is a shot of Cooper vibrating into two separate Coops, I think this was showing that the Cooper we know is only the good half of his true whole.

This would mean right after we finally get the good Cooper back we learn that that Cooper wasn't even the full version.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Seeing Cooper sweep the diner with his gun was so horrible. Like so well done.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Cooper lost.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

A few things that struck me on a rewatch of 17 & 18-

The super imposed Coop that says "We live in a dream" recalled to me him sitting in the chair of the red room. I imagine that his computation and speaking of that line was in response to what Laura whispers in his ear.

Coop asks Diane if she remembers everything. I believe this is a reference to the fact that Coop remembered lots of information from his long stay in whatever dimension she was in. He's asking Diane if she remembered important information about places and timing - this could explain why she was waiting outside the entrance to the red room for Coop and why she seemed to know about his plan to enter this reality where Laura is.

It seems like Jeffries was going to send him to Judy - but then he's sent back in time to the FWWM scene. Not quite drawing the connection there.

Coop had a lot more control in the red room when he returned there than the first time. Interesting.

Bad Coop's experiment in New York - was it a plan to capture Judy or Cooper? It seems clear that Judy was the one that killed the worker and his girlfriend, but was she summoned? Did she escape and possess Sarah?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Chev posted:

It was infuriating
It was amazing
I hated it
I loved it

This sums up my feelings pretty well actually

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

The epilogue has me thinking this might be the true Cooper before he split and his split occured before the show ever started. I don't remember exactly when the scene is shown but there is a shot of Cooper vibrating into two separate Coops, I think this was showing that the Cooper we know is only the good half of his true whole.

This would mean right after we finally get the good Cooper back we learn that that Cooper wasn't even the full version.

Bad coop was a doppelganger, Idk how that got conflated to being his literal bad side.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

tap my mountain posted:

Doesn't the log lady intro for season 2's finale explicitly have her ask 'were there always two?'
And I mean, of course 'just who do you think that is there'

I don't know if I necessarily buy that the finale Coop is the 'true Coop but I definitely think that this episode has made me reconsider exactly how long there have been two Coopers running around.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

oneforthevine posted:

Ah, that's right. Thanks.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

RBX posted:

Bad coop was a doppelganger, Idk how that got conflated to being his literal bad side.

Because there's a scene of him splitting into two. Plus Cooper being extremely chipper and altruistic supports the idea that he's only the good half of a whole.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can i get all these ending theories in a tweetable infographic by 5pm today. Thanks

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

tap my mountain posted:

Because there's a scene of him splitting into two. Plus Cooper being extremely chipper and altruistic supports the idea that he's only the good half of a whole.

If this is a thing then I have absolutely no recollection of it across multiple viewings since the series originally aired and I wish you would point out a clip of it.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

RBX posted:

didnt they say somewhere in S2 that everyone that all the doppelgangers in the black lodge are evil?

edit: nvm didnt read good

Martin BadClixx fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 4, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Thoughts about Twin Peaks and Food:

One of the first scenes with Evil Cooper in the diner, he's eating what looks like creamed corn and grits... later, Chad is eating two frozen lunches and a bowl of what looks like creamed corn. He's also eating the corn in the frozen lunches before anything else. Lastly, the assassins are eating a lot of junk food, including some generic Cheetos (made from puffed cornmeal) right before getting killed and after talking about how much fun torture is. Also, one of the Mitchum brothers is eating either corn flakes or Cap'n Crunch (which is made from corn), while the other lost his appetite and can't eat Raisin Bran (which is WHEAT-based). The Mitchums, Ike the Spike, and the drugged woman are drinking bourbon whiskey, which is usually made from corn. It's also interesting how Faux Diane is constantly drinking vodka (usually made from potatoes) and seems to be regretting being on the wrong side before evaporating. Sarah is also seen drinking vodka in the form of a bloody mary. You also have Gordon Cole's office having large pictures of a mushroom cloud and an ear of corn. One literal form of pain and suffering, another figurative in the world of Twin Peaks. All while the undeniably good characters are seen drinking and eating sweet things like donuts, cherry pie, huckleberry juice, champagne, red wine, and protein shakes. It ties into Shelly offering pie with ice cream to her daughter to make her feel better.

Also, I found a lot of threads to be amazingly satisfying like...

Lucy saving the day, Chad getting busted twice, Richard becoming a sparkler, Andy getting pulled into the lodge, and Dougie coming back to his family

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 4, 2017

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

You're taking that too literal. It's just showing Andy that there is indeed two Coopers. Not that they came from the same person.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

If this is a thing then I have absolutely no recollection of it across multiple viewings since the series originally aired and I wish you would point out a clip of it.

i think he's referring to the scene in episode 14 or 15 when andy is in the lodge and the fireman is showing him a bunch of stuff. one of the images is of cooper and booper overlaid over each other and then moving apart

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Egbert Souse posted:

More Thoughts about Twin Peaks and Food:

One of the first scenes with Evil Cooper in the diner, he's eating what looks like creamed corn and grits... later, Chad is eating two frozen lunches and a bowl of what looks like creamed corn. He's also eating the corn in the frozen lunches before anything else. Lastly, the assassins are eating a lot of junk food, including some generic Cheetos (made from puffed cornmeal) right before getting killed and after talking about how much fun torture is. Also, one of the Mitchum brothers is eating either corn flakes or Cap'n Crunch (which is made from corn), while the other lost his appetite and can't eat Raisin Bran (which is WHEAT-based). The Mitchums, Ike the Spike, and the drugged woman are drinking bourbon whiskey, which is usually made from corn. It's also interesting how Faux Diane is constantly drinking vodka (usually made from potatoes) and seems to be regretting being on the wrong side before evaporating. Sarah is also seen drinking vodka in the form of a bloody mary. You also have Gordon Cole's office having large pictures of a mushroom cloud and an ear of corn. One literal form of pain and suffering, another figurative in the world of Twin Peaks. All while the undeniably good characters are seen drinking and eating sweet things like donuts, cherry pie, huckleberry juice, champagne, red wine, and protein shakes. It ties into Shelly offering pie with ice cream to her daughter to make her feel better.

Also, I found a lot of threads to be amazingly satisfying like...

Lucy saving the day, Chad getting busted twice, Richard becoming a sparkler, Andy getting pulled into the lodge, and Dougie coming back to his family

I could be wrong but

didnt one of the Mitchum brothers drinking also a bloody marry?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So when did Judy or whatever possess Laura's mom?

When she was a girl; presumably she's the one who eats the frogroach in Episode 8.

If you mean "when did Judy actually take control", who knows. Sarah obviously had premonitions indicating some kind of supernatural ability and/or relationship to Bob in the original series, though, so it's consistent to think it was always inside her.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Stunt Rock posted:

It’s all so obvious. Cooper pulled Laura out of the TV show and into our reality.

“Last Action Hero? I bet I could do that same thing.” - David Lynch, right before a heavy dose of mushrooms.

I feel like this is it. The cast of Twin Peaks left the dreamy TV world and entered the real world where they run into the person who actually owns Palmer's house. The cast of the show was always literal electricity by way of being fictional characters in a TV show broadcast to our televisions/computers. The arm references a movie, I think Audrey references that same movie, transparent Cooper staring directly at the screen, referencing the curtain close, the parallel of Dougie/Cooper waking up to a new reality as Audrey did and then telling the entire cast they live in a dream. A lot of focus on those themes.

Season 2 ended by wrapping up most of the show to that point and giving you a glance at what S3 could be (evil cooper). Season 3 does the same, showing us the Cooper/Briggs/Jefferies plot to defeat Bob and rescue Laura by escaping to reality worked, but leaves it ambiguous what that actually means for the characters in our show, as past dictates future. My interpretation is either Laura collapsed the realities by remembering everything, or perhaps not dying in Twin Peaks led to a very different future Back to the Future-style (but not an actual escape into reality).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I absolutely love CraveTV, except for the piss-poor Chromecast support. Content-wise, it's VERY good (for the price, for Canada).

I was going to sub to CraveTV for Twin Peaks, but Bell ain't getting my money until they release a PS4 app. It seems like a great service overall, especially since Bell has a monopoly on a lot of content up here, but gently caress subbing if the only way I can use it atm is using my computer.

As for the finale, I think overall I liked 18 more than 17. The two hours took me through a rollercoaster of emotions, especially as the end drew near and I realized we wouldn't find out what was going on with Audrey.

The Diane stuff made me so uncomfortable, but in a good way. That first kiss seemed to be some sort of catharsis for Diane, as well as a roundabout way for the characters to confirm that this Dale is indeed the good Dale, not unlike her kiss with the bad Cooper so many years ago telling her that it wasn't him. It gets a bit blurrier when we enter the other dimension/timeline. Cooper seems to be himself, while Diane is seemingly lost in this Linda persona. The sex scene was odd and unnerving, like two people realising they're not with the person they thought they were.

Is the other timeline/dimension real? Is it simply another dream created by the Lodge, to trap Cooper and Laura and keep him from his goal of ending Judy, however that may be? Laura is clearly the key in some way. I don't think he saved her from Leland in any sense. The events of the first two seasons have still happened, though we get a brief taste of 'what if?' Laura hadn't died. Or even if he did truly save her, surely her sudden disappearance that night rather than dying would still bring some conflict into that 'version' of Twin Peaks.

I'm rambling at this point.

I loved the season overall, there was very little I didn't like, and the things that bothered me were mostly small ticks in continuity across the episodes, which may not even be relevant depending on what parts of this season were or were not dreams. I think almost all of it happened, though parts of 17, all of 18 and anything tied to Audrey are in some sort of split world or time.

Really my biggest disappointment is Audrey. Though I suppose it's fitting. Her story seems to be more a continuation of the Annie story from season 2, as it was originally her character Coop was supposed to go into the Lodge to save. We don't know Annie's fate at the end of season 2, and now we don't know Audrey's at the end of 3.

It could be fun and cool to have a fourth season or another movie, though if it ends on this I would be satisfied. Any continuation isn't likely to answer the questions I want, anyway. This story is Cooper's and Laura's, anything else is tangential. Annie/Audrey may have been important to him 25 years ago, the town of Twin Peaks and its people may have been, but with what he knows now of the Lodge, the spirits, of Judy, he has bigger fish to attempt to fry. And yet with all he knows now, he still clearly doesn't know enough. Perhaps once again the key is whatever Laura whispered to him, should he ever remember it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
We are the dreamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thatim posted:

I could be wrong but

didnt one of the Mitchum brothers drinking also a bloody marry?

That's right... in the limo while Coop was drinking his coffee. HOWEVER... it had a big stalk of celery. Made me think of when Ben decided to be good in season 2 and he started compulsively eating carrots and celery instead of smoking cigars.