Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deltasquid posted:

I would not be shocked at all if the game just bugged out on you.

EDIT: that might be entirely possible about the sitrep.

Yeah the expansion is good but unstable and buggy. Kill lost ASAP or their numbers will crash the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I decided to rewatch Beagle's WotC playthrough so I could try taking note of some of his strategies, but I am now 5 hours into the stream and he is still at Gatecrasher. Normally when someone yells at the game so much I would have peaced out hours ago, but I have never empathized with a man more than I do now. He just missed two point-blank flanked 85% shots on the same enemy.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I decided to rewatch Beagle's WotC playthrough so I could try taking note of some of his strategies, but I am now 5 hours into the stream and he is still at Gatecrasher. Normally when someone yells at the game so much I would have peaced out hours ago, but I have never empathized with a man more than I do now. He just missed two point-blank flanked 85% shots on the same enemy.

Yeah he had a comically bad time with gatecrasher. Lots of really lovely RNG. For hours.

But it gets better. He figures out you can start with a faction trooper if you dont do the storyline mission, gets a Templar. Starts owning.

I haven't caught up because he has streamed like 12 hours 3 days in a row.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is the issue that he was trying for a flawless run? Because that's a great way to start a campaign, but it's not really necessary, even on legendary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Spoiler: His gatecrasher strategy was to give up and start with a Templar.

Beagle is better at Xcom than most people but he's not amazing at Xcom 2. Most of his skill applies to Xcom EW, mainly LW, and a lot of the habits he picks up there don't transfer well into Xcom 2. If you want to watch someone good at WotC, joinRbs has a much better grasp on the game. Note however that even he lost a bunch of campaigns and his main strategy can be summarized as "abuse psionics and templars".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want gatecrasher 24/7, there's a guy who's been playing nothing but that for a week straight called admiral something

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ersatz posted:

Is the issue that he was trying for a flawless run? Because that's a great way to start a campaign, but it's not really necessary, even on legendary.

His first reset was to try and make sure his wife lived through Gatecrasher, but from there it was he was literally unable to complete the level because of pure bad RNG. Enemies getting crits on him with 30% chance to hit, units dying behind full cover the first time they've been shot at. He beat it another time and then wiped on the very next mission to the same issues.

and yeah I JUST hit the Templar mission

Tae posted:

If you want gatecrasher 24/7, there's a guy who's been playing nothing but that for a week straight called admiral something

Is it Admiral Bulldog, former dota professional player and TI winner?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing about Beaglerush is I think a big reason a lot of people, including me, enjoy watching him isn't just that he's good at the game; he really gets into the game. He loves creating little stories for all his soldiers and actually cares about them. There are better players than him but from what I've seen they view the game more from an objective standpoint. They only care about their soldiers as far as they go towards carrying a mission. Its fun to watch someone who is good at the game but its also fun to just watch someone having fun with it, and I find Beaglerush usually strikes a good balance between that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly the dude is still p good at videogames, he has managed to pull his fat from the fire in some hosed up situations during the parts of his streams i watched

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e.g. running into the archon king as his first ruler and managing to take 2/3rds of its health without losing anyone

i wonder if somebody will make a mod to flatten out integrated ruler power levels

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

The thing about Beaglerush is I think a big reason a lot of people, including me, enjoy watching him isn't just that he's good at the game; he really gets into the game. He loves creating little stories for all his soldiers and actually cares about them. There are better players than him but from what I've seen they view the game more from an objective standpoint. They only care about their soldiers as far as they go towards carrying a mission. Its fun to watch someone who is good at the game but its also fun to just watch someone having fun with it, and I find Beaglerush usually strikes a good balance between that.

This. I just realized that the Templar he got is Dickbricker. I caught his stream Saturday and saw him valuing that man very highly, then I got to see him in action and he destroyed. And to think all of this came from a rage-induced rant about Thats XCOM. I also really like his PUBG play too, Beagle is just a cool guy whos really into video games without being weird about it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jfood posted:

Same mission, same 'holy gently caress!!!' response to it. poo poo just gets wild with grenades flying all over the place and about fifty lost on your screen. Best dlc!

I forgot to mention that near the end of the mission, 2 of my dudes were dead, 1 was bleeding out, and the other was bound by a Viper

a lost swarm runs up and smacks the Viper, who drops my last soldier, who then grabs the bleeding out soldier and evacs to safety

this loving game!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

e.g. running into the archon king as his first ruler and managing to take 2/3rds of its health without losing anyone

i wonder if somebody will make a mod to flatten out integrated ruler power levels

he then ran into it later and almost squad wiped, which probably would have been campaign ending with who he sent, but got some extremely, EXTREMELY lucky dodges. still lost 2 soldiers.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

All right, I'm a few months into my first WotC campaign and so far things have gone well, except for the two times I tried to do a supply raid. ADVENT keeps tagging the crates and airlifting them out before I can get to them. Tried being clever and using my Reaper, but of course as soon as I pres butan she's revealed and I still have a bunch of crates elsewhere on the map to collect oh and by the way the Lost are around and now waves of them are spawning beside ADVENT troops and aliens but completely ignoring them and legging it instead to my squad halfway across the map and argh

Anyone got some good tips for these raids?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bushiz posted:

Reapers are a crime, just disgustingly powerful. By the time you're late game the shrapnel/homing mine combo can wipe pods without being revealed, and with an xmag you can one-shot chosen with banish with zero difficulty.

My endgame Reaper is absolutely silly (although everything is pretty drat silly at this point). I've got 3 mod slots and +1 damage on Vektor Rifles as well as the improved weapon mods Resistance Order. Her rifle has a Superior Laser Sight, Superior Extended Mag, and a Superior Repeater. She's got the +to crit when she kills stuff and tactical rigging, so I gave her Talon rounds. Then she's got the ignore armor when shooting from Shadow, Vektor Rifles shred armor (with the +1 to all shred bonus), and Banish+the final upgrade (Annihilate?). Her best Banish killed a Sectopod, the Assassin, two Spectres, and a Berserker. In one activation. The repeater only procced twice if I recall correctly, the rest was just pure crit madness.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tae posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DpW5NkNLCg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sombrerotron posted:

All right, I'm a few months into my first WotC campaign and so far things have gone well, except for the two times I tried to do a supply raid. ADVENT keeps tagging the crates and airlifting them out before I can get to them. Tried being clever and using my Reaper, but of course as soon as I pres butan she's revealed and I still have a bunch of crates elsewhere on the map to collect oh and by the way the Lost are around and now waves of them are spawning beside ADVENT troops and aliens but completely ignoring them and legging it instead to my squad halfway across the map and argh

Anyone got some good tips for these raids?

Focus on murdering instead of looting. That happened to me and by completely ignoring those lovely boxes except those tagged in blue-move spaces I saved 2/3rds of them.

e: I miss the old squad select music. It should alternate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STc6FGDNOL0

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 4, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hahaha beaglerushes blademaster templar also got reaper.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ARRRRGH loving Spectres. Shadowbind will break hacks and I just lost a Sectopod to that cheap poo poo.

Roobanguy posted:

hahaha beaglerushes blademaster templar also got reaper.
I hope mine has similar luck...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Mine got Bladestorm and Reaper, really hoping for Blademaster now.

Better than my last Templar who just got a bunch of pistol perks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ole!

I have no idea.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ironman is tense.

Also those crate missions were hard right up until I figured out you really shouldn't give a poo poo about the crates. They aren't even an objective, just kill everything.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Pfft, building entire "stealth missions" around these "stealth mechanics" was a silly idea

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

She's got the +to crit when she kills stuff and tactical rigging, so I gave her Talon rounds. Then she's got the ignore armor when shooting from Shadow, Vektor Rifles shred armor (with the +1 to all shred bonus), and Banish+the final upgrade (Annihilate?). Her best Banish killed a Sectopod, the Assassin, two Spectres, and a Berserker. In one activation. The repeater only procced twice if I recall correctly, the rest was just pure crit madness.

Do you have a mod or something for this? My reaper can't equip any items at all?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Space Hamlet posted:

Pfft, building entire "stealth missions" around these "stealth mechanics" was a silly idea

At least you can actually stealth them now.

quote:

Do you have a mod or something for this? My reaper can't equip any items at all?

A random XCOM perk upgrade lets them get an item slot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

thebardyspoon posted:

All the special classes can roll Tactical Rigging as an XCOM perk. Gives Templar/Skirmishers a second slot and Reapers a single one.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

RBA Starblade posted:

At least you can actually stealth them now.

Doing so feels dumb and easy until you're potentially forced out of it by an RNG hack, is the thing. Invisible Inc this aint

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

e: I miss the old squad select music. It should alternate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STc6FGDNOL0

I thought something was different but couldn't quite figure it out. But yea, they should cycle. Or have the old one for day-to-day missions and have the new one for stuff like alien facilities and Chosen strongholds.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Zore posted:

All the special classes can roll Tactical Rigging as an XCOM perk. Gives Templar/Skirmishers a second slot and Reapers a single one.

Riiiiight, got that on both my Skirmishers and not on the ol Reaper. That makes a lot of sense.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

Wait that's what tactical rigging does? I thought it gave them an extra consumable charge, not a separate slot. Feel dumb not taking it on my skirmisher now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What was the ini edit for Sparks to bond?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Giving Reapers AP Rounds goes a long way.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The gap between killing the chosen and endgame is a big weakness of the expansion and exacerbates one of the main problems with vanilla: the victory lap phase.

Late game was never Xcom2's strong point, and I'd love something to come out which alleviated that. Otherwise, holy poo poo what an expansion, everything up to the aforementioned point is absurdly good.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
I can't tell if this expansion is a lot harder or if I have just become really bad at this game. Wiped on my 3rd mission on my current Commander/Ironman run.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

maev posted:

The gap between killing the chosen and endgame is a big weakness of the expansion and exacerbates one of the main problems with vanilla: the victory lap phase.

Late game was never Xcom2's strong point, and I'd love something to come out which alleviated that. Otherwise, holy poo poo what an expansion, everything up to the aforementioned point is absurdly good.

It's alright, Firaxis' 'solution' to the XCOM difficulty curve is to really stretch out the mid-game. You can't get rid of the victory lap phase because that's inherent to XCOM, but what you can do is make it as short as possible. XCOM is a game about the journey rather than the destination, which is why War of the Chosen adds randomised enemy hero attributes and ally cards on top of Dark Events (as well as tech randomisation) so that every game you play is different.

Also I've finally learned to celebrate the death of the workshop as important. It's made me break out of the GTS - Power - Proving Ground/AWS top layer antfarm design with a workshop servicing the powerplant below because it's no longer necessary and there's more important things to get in the top row like an infirmary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alchenar posted:

Also I've finally learned to celebrate the death of the workshop as important. It's made me break out of the GTS - Power - Proving Ground/AWS top layer antfarm design with a workshop servicing the powerplant below because it's no longer necessary and there's more important things to get in the top row like an infirmary.

Can you expand on this more? Why is the workshop no longer necessary?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you expand on this more? Why is the workshop no longer necessary?

It needs to be built early to maximize effectiveness, but it's now ludicrously expensive and directly competing with other important early buildings for resources/power/space. All that for essentially one extra engineer, two if you upgrade.

It's still worthwhile if you get the Breakthrough to cut the cost in half, but otherwise, eh. I really wish I had a lab instead, the research times+the sheer amount of new research is proving to be a huge stumbling block.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What are you guys favorite party composition with 4/5/6 members in terms of classes?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this is my favorite randomly generated post mission poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Tae posted:

If you mean Admiral Bahroo, he's on Twitch right now and sure enough, his campaign just got boned by the hunter and he's about to gatecrash yet again. :xcom: