Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

goose willis posted:

By the way what do you all think of Mantic's newest faction kit: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/gcps/product/gcps-faction-starter.html

For the price of one box of like Cadians you get twice as many dudes and two heavy weapons teams and a couple of character guys

They're just so... Bland. I really wish someone at mantic would look at sci fi guns and try to make theirs look not flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think theres a post mortem or anything but the short version seems to be that Mark 3 was let out of the oven half baked. A lot of poorly written rules and bad faction balance, including one faction that was in such a bad place it had to be rewritten from the ground up.

Yeah, what happened was, mk3 "came out", but they released like, some new rules but not all, some theme lists but not all, etc. Non of the other hiccups mattered really, but the fact you had /some/ new stuff but not all meant everyone kinda wanted to wait until they had all the new stuff, because it felt like an uneven playing ground, in a game where balance is king.

They then exacerbated this by showing players all the current things they were play testing and letting them help play test. Which sounds great, but ends up being like "oh you mind if I use the current play test rules?" Because obviously you want the new hotness, but then maybe they nerf that and you were kinda cheating? It feels like the worst of both worlds.

And then they REALLY REALLY REALLY dragged their heels with it, to the point a year or whatever later, I still don't fully know how my (admittedly hugely niche) army is supposed to work.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 4, 2017

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Page 90 of Index Imperium II has:

Adeptus Ministorum Army List posted:

All memebrs of the Adepta Sororitas belong to an Order and have the <Order> keyword. When you include such a unit you must nominate which Order that unit is from ...

And of course most abilities only affect models of the same Order. Why is this there? There is literally no reason to declare your models to be two different orders except to shoot yourself in the foot? Am I missing something?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Order Tactics are going to come out, just like Chapter, Legion, and Forge World tactics, to give you a bit more customization and specialization in your army.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Giant Isopod posted:

Page 90 of Index Imperium II has:

And of course most abilities only affect models of the same Order. Why is this there? There is literally no reason to declare your models to be two different orders except to shoot yourself in the foot? Am I missing something?

Once their book comes out and different orders do different things it'll be relevant.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I see, makes sense, thanks. I'll reign in my skepticism that such a thing would ever come out for now.

So uh, since I've never played marines or a faction that gets rules like that, how does that work for this-is-my-original-faction-do-not-steal Orders? And am I going to be a shithead for having already painted everything in an Order's color scheme and then playing them as a different one?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Giant Isopod posted:

I see, makes sense, thanks. I'll reign in my skepticism that such a thing would ever come out for now.

So uh, since I've never played marines or a faction that gets rules like that, how does that work for this-is-my-original-faction-do-not-steal Orders? And am I going to be a shithead for having already painted everything in an Order's color scheme and then playing them as a different one?

You can use another Order's rules to help develop Your Guys. Some people are anal about it, but those are generally "your obvious Imperial Fists are Raven Guard because you prefer the rules," which is a poo poo attitude anyway but is very likely to not come up for factions like Sisters who didn't really have that differentiation before.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

goose willis posted:

By the way what do you all think of Mantic's newest faction kit: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/gcps/product/gcps-faction-starter.html

For the price of one box of like Cadians you get twice as many dudes and two heavy weapons teams and a couple of character guys

I like these. If I were ever gonna add IG to my army these are what I'd look at. They're a far sight better than Cadians the blandest faction out there there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Giant Isopod posted:

The Marine book literally says that for custom Chapters just use whichever of the Chapter rules you like. So my custom Storm Eagle Chapter is using the Raven Guard rules, both because its thematic and because holy poo poo the Raven Guard got good rules for once.

Therefore, I'm sure as long as you don't break the rules by trying to mix and match powers from different Orders and just pick one Order's rules all the way through, you can use that Order for your custom girls and go way happy.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Thanks for the quick answers guys!

Still digging models out of storage. I swear I had more painted than I actually do, but maybe that's just false memories of competence.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Giant Isopod posted:

Yeah I'm under no illusions that sisters will get a book in a timely manner.

If anything the longer it takes the better since sisters are absolutely monstrously strong right now.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Artum posted:

Yeah I'm under no illusions that sisters will get a book in a timely manner.

If anything the longer it takes the better since sisters are absolutely monstrously strong right now.

Yeah but so are Guard and they are getting a codex in 2 months.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

goose willis posted:

Look pretty bad :shrug:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

For_Great_Justice posted:

I like these. If I were ever gonna add IG to my army these are what I'd look at. They're a far sight better than Cadians the blandest faction out there there.

I like them, they're in Hard Plastic, and they have female heads, which is pretty sweet. The only problem is not enough swords to represent proper 40k officers. . . . :v:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Xarlaxas posted:

I like them, they're in Hard Plastic, and they have female heads, which is pretty sweet. The only problem is not enough swords to represent proper 40k officers. . . . :v:

I can get that. I kit bash most leader models so never an issue for me. You just get good dudes in good armor. Anyone who honestly thinks those are bad are doing mental gymnastics.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Eh, I'd use them for a Tempestus Regiment, but as rank-and-file guard unit I really don't like them at all.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I think the models are alright, but I don't like the poses - too static? Not really sure.

Those heads are way better than some previous iterations of the Mantic Face though for sure.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

I think the codexes add quite a bit. I was hoping they were just going to be minor tweaks, but with 3 pages of stratagems, double the psychic powers, new warlord traits, relics, new tactical objectives, new points/costs/options, a bunch of new units and deleted units, etc ...they're unfortunately quite a bit different than the indexes, and if you're gonna play the army, you'll need to get one.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

I can get that. I kit bash most leader models so never an issue for me. You just get good dudes in good armor. Anyone who honestly thinks those are bad are doing mental gymnastics.

Yeah, I was thinking of going through my bits box for power swords etc. to kit bash the necessary parts. However, I only have Chaos and Tau bits: I imagine that Chaos Power Swords/Fists/etc. are a good deal bigger than the human equivalent?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Immanentized posted:

Also for Dreamforge buyers - how hard is it to un-reich those models? There's torso pieces and officer heads I'd love in my guard army, but I'm uncomfortable with a lot of the iconography. Do the plastics take a knife/sander well?

Not hard at all. It's not like we're talking Privateer restic here; it drills, cuts, and glues just as well as GW stuff.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I love how polarizing the Mantic kit is for people in this thread

You either like it and/or the value of it or you loving hate it

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
How did chapter/legion/subfaction tactics work for grey knights? Do they even get those since they're already a subfaction of sorts? Wondering if BA and SW and the like will get even more granular.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Xarlaxas posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of going through my bits box for power swords etc. to kit bash the necessary parts. However, I only have Chaos and Tau bits: I imagine that Chaos Power Swords/Fists/etc. are a good deal bigger than the human equivalent?

Not much different from what I've seen. An in going with 40k aesthetic if it isn't twice the size of the user it isn't a real weapon.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Well, I am now thoroughly sucked back in - having played for the first time in about ten years a couple of weeks ago, here I am painting my second pack of windriders while listening to the Badcast.

I also managed to find the Falcon and Vyper I painted hilariously badly when I was about 12 in boxes in the attic that my parents moved over a while back, so that's a plus - the vyper is actually potentially worth putting in an army now it can't get randomly popped by a single bolter shot.

Hoping to make it along to a local club night on Wednesday and play a bigger game - excited to take my newly painted wraithguard out for a spin.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

bonds0097 posted:

How did chapter/legion/subfaction tactics work for grey knights? Do they even get those since they're already a subfaction of sorts? Wondering if BA and SW and the like will get even more granular.

They didn't get any.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I like to leave Kitchen Nightmares running in the background while I paint my models

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

They're too bland to evoke a reaction beyond "Meh" from me.

Mantic fanboys on the other hand really do get my blood boiling.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Personally I'm not a fan boy and I agree they're a little bland but I like the low price point because they're a great source of proxy models and/or bits for conversions

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

goose willis posted:

I had a ridiculous situation last night where a squad of Primaris hellblasters were being charged by my friend's Tyranid shrikes so I figured they were more or less dead and decided to overcharge the rapid-fire plasma incinerators and one marine died as a result of rolling a one BUT a nearby Primaris captain helped him reassemble himself with a re-roll and he rolled a one AGAIN and died but then he looked up at the nearby Primaris ancient's banner and saw the light of the Emperor on a successful 4+ roll so he rolled to shoot again with rapid fire and AGAIN he rolls a one and explodes BUT the captain saves him from himself and he fires his last shot and kills a shrike and dies for the fourth time

what a rollercoaster

so NOVA was fun. Got to hang with a great selection of goons, went 6-1 (thought the 1 was real bad) and ended up with 3rd place out of the Humanity side of the Narrative. Got to take home a bunch of free stuff, and got to make a bunch of new friends. SRM and I are doing a Novacast 2017 this week to talk about it. Should be out on Friday.

Get those games in, fuckboiz. We need to purge the galaxy of anime.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

goose willis posted:

I like to leave Kitchen Nightmares running in the background while I paint my models

I tend to find anything with visuals distracting, though the Badcast fan fiction readings/random tangents about inquisitors a newspaper reporters kept making me burst out laughing which isn't much better.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Dude an entire Mordian army

:captainpop:

For the regular dudes you can get at LEAST $2 per soldier, maybe $2.50.

The heavy weapon teams could probably go for maybe $12.50-$15.

Special weapons and characters for about $10.

So add that all up cause it's a good amount of cash. I'm fighting the urge to give you an offer myself.

those prices would make sense if they were unpainted, but not for what he has there. id at least double all those numbers

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Every goddamn episode of Kitchen Nightmares is exactly the same and I'm just sitting there listening to the terrible generic dialog and Gordon Ramsay cursing at everyone for serving lovely food and I don't even need to look at the visuals because it's all Gordon all the time and he's there mocking idiots while I swipe brushes across little plastic men

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

One_Wing posted:

I tend to find anything with visuals distracting, though the Badcast fan fiction readings/random tangents about inquisitors a newspaper reporters kept making me burst out laughing which isn't much better.

sorry, we'll try to be less funny

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

sorry, we'll try to be less funny

That's good to hear, grim seriousness is the only appropriate way to talk about 40k.

(Your podcast is awesome, it's always uplifting to hear people talk positively about things they enjoy with a a good amount of humour).

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

:ironicat:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

They're too bland to evoke a reaction beyond "Meh" from me.

lol people liking things I don't really makes me mad

*posts in the 40K thread*

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Thanks for all the replies about the Mordians. After doing a bit of research and taking all of your comments into account, I think the figures and case (Feldherr Maxi) would come to about $630-ish (I found a normal Leman Russ in poor shape in another box that I'm going to toss in). Taking into account the pretty decent paint job and overall rarity, I'm thinking of $1000?

Are there normally people around that would drop that much all at once on an army? Back when I played, we all just kinda pieced together things a few units at a time.

I'm nearly done taking pictures of the Orks, and I'll post some links when I'm finished. There's a fair amount of models that I can't seem to identify either from the GW site or Forgeworld.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Big McHuge posted:

Are there normally people around that would drop that much all at once on an army?

Shove it onto eBay and you can probably get well over a grand

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I just got done with the single most frustrating game of 40k I think I've ever played. 2500 points, my blood angels against tau.

My list:
Librarian Dread
Primaris Lieutenant

Terminator squad
Relic Sicaran Venator
Aggressor squad
Relic Contemptor Dread

2x 10-man assault squads w/ 2x melta

Spartan

Fire Raptor

His list:
2x quad fusion commanders w/ 2x shield drones
triple cyclic ion blaster commander w/ 2x shield drones
cadre fire blade w/ 2x shield drones

36 drones, a mix of marker, gun and shield.

Y'varha battlesuit (w/ 2x shielded missile drones)

ta'unar supremacy armor w/ tri-axis ion cannon and pulse ordnance multidriver

I killed about a dozen drones total before I was down to just my aggressors and lieutenant. He stole the initiative and managed to use the commanders to kill both my librarian and contemptor dread straight off, and the ta'unar + y'varha killed the spartan, which then killed 3 of my terminators as they tried to disembark. On my turn I shot things, but he just put everything I managed to do onto the drones. It felt like having any multi-damage weapons was entirely pointless since they'd just kill a single drone. My assault squads took 1 of the two objectives I'd need to win (we were playing the konor mission), and the second squad tried to assault one of his drone squads on a second objective and promptly got overwatched by literally every unit in his army, killing all 10 of them. His turn 2 he killed off the sicaran, fire raptor, and second assault squad.

I know that tau ate a nerf from 7th, but I've never played a game that I felt quite so powerless to actually accomplish anything in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Not much different from what I've seen. An in going with 40k aesthetic if it isn't twice the size of the user it isn't a real weapon.

That is true, I'll probably have to do some hand-cutting, and see if I have any sheathed swords somewhere, but it's probably doable, and will end up so much cheaper.

goose willis posted:

I mean, honestly, they're not the sexiest minis I've seen around, but they're much nicer looking than the current GW Guard models, they're cheaper, and they're hard plastic, so can be kit-bashed, so there don't seem to be any major downsides, apart from not getting to take them to GW official tournaments. Oh wait, I live in Latin America. :v:

Big McHuge posted:

Are there normally people around that would drop that much all at once on an army? Back when I played, we all just kinda pieced together things a few units at a time.

Probably! However, it might be better to list each squad, vehicle, and character separately. Generally speaking, you'll end up with more people bidding on lots of small lots, and driving up the price, than on one big lot.

Of course, if you're not too worried about getting the *full* value, selling it as one lot (with a reasonable reserve price) might be good, and, from a hobbyist perspective, it would be kinda sad to see such a nice army split apart.