Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lote posted:

Someone on twitter made a good point about ending the DACA program. Say goodbye to all that debt. I wonder how much is actually out there.

With this and the expected costs of a transgender ban of the armed forces outweighing the costs, it's no wonder Trump's a lovely businessman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oddly this (edit:DACA) is one area where I probably wish we had Scalia over Gorsuch because he was routinely pretty okay on due process.

Gorsuch is probably a lost cause because it's an executive action, Alito is definitely a lost cause because he hates foreigners and Latinxs, and I'm not optimistic about Thomas on this one outside of my fantasy scenario of him arguing that immigration policy is solely a concern for the individual states. :v:

Don't remember enough about Kennedy's immigration etc record and it's always risky betting on Roberts saving us by focusing on his legacy.

didn't roberts write Shelby? based on that alone i'd assume the worst honestly.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

Lol condiv

What is it with people who are steeped in conflict with the us political / cultural system expatriating to France?

i had a chance there and i took it. i don't think i could've found a job in another country that would've afforded me the opportunity to emigrate. it was really a one in a hundred kind of job offer and i just happened to have experience in a rather rare programming language they needed a developer for

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

Condiv posted:

thowing parents in jail doesn't help truancy period. the kind of parents who will "keep kids out of school to babysit, help with work, etc" are unlikely to have the resources to help their kids get to school after being thrown in jail. hell, after they get back out of jail it may make things even harder on the family since the parents probably lost their jobs

... which is why Harris' policy is that districts should create resources FOR these parents, and requires them to do so.

The whole plan is based on data showing that kids who miss more than 10‰ of the school year in kindergarten fall further and further behind until they drop out and are more likely to repeatedly cycle through prison.

More info, and the toolkit the state developed as a result of her work: https://oag.ca.gov/truancy

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

botany posted:

yeah i've had my issues with condiv (like, a lot) but shrike of all people doesn't get to call out anyone. gently caress that guy.

anyway, here's republicans getting roasted at town halls. enjoy.
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/904757120884764672

I love that Mike Bost tried to defend his vote by saying "I never voted to kill your wife."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

drat Your Eyes! posted:

... which is why Harris' policy is that districts should create resources FOR these parents, and requires them to do so.

The whole plan is based on data showing that kids who miss more than 10‰ of the school year in kindergarten fall further and further behind until they drop out and are more likely to repeatedly cycle through prison.

More info, and the toolkit the state developed as a result of her work: https://oag.ca.gov/truancy

then she should just drop the prison part of the equation entirely, cause it's completely counter-productive

throwing parents in jail in any situation isn't gonna help that truancy. resources for parents that need help do. jail doesn't. further, california jails are already packed to the gills, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to throw even more non-violent offenders in

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TheRat posted:

Shrike is an actual ultraracist oval office.

he is a legit white supremacist iirc.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

then she should just drop the prison part of the equation entirely, cause it's completely counter-productive

throwing parents in jail in any situation isn't gonna help that truancy. resources for parents that need help do. jail doesn't. further, california jails are already packed to the gills, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to throw even more non-violent offenders in

Isn't this an argument for eliminating child labor laws?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Paradoxish posted:

I love that Mike Bost tried to defend his vote by saying "I never voted to kill your wife."

yeah that's one of the worst "well, technically..." answers i've ever seen.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

William Contraalto posted:

Isn't this an argument for eliminating child labor laws?

no, don't be silly

throwing people in prison for making use of child labor does reduce child labor. throwing parents in jail for truant kids doesn't reduce truancy. you see, you want kids to go to school, and that's harder when their parents are in jail

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 4, 2017

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

no, don't be silly

Well, see, if child labor is illegal but not criminalized, or if criminalization can never fall on the parents, then what good are child labor laws when there's no consequence for them? I suppose we're supposed to intimate that "legal intervention if necessary" doesn't refer to already-existing criminal situations like child abuse or child labor law violations?

Condiv posted:

throwing people in prison for making use of child labor does reduce child labor. throwing parents in jail for truant kids doesn't reduce truancy. you see, you want kids to go to school, and that's harder when their parents are in jail

Oh, you don't seem to understand that one of the potential causes of truancy is child labor.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

Condiv posted:

The only place I've actually heard the jail part emphasized is from goons, the resources even recommend using supportive language rather than blame when speaking to parents.

I did read the actual bill at one point and it does reference jail deep down after all the steps, but only because it is essentially a child welfare law and thus must match standard child welfare punishments. Punishment is waived by accepting state provided assistance.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Uglycat posted:

While all the active posters are telling each-other not to post, I'd like to take the time to yell at the lurkers.

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

Lurker Opinion: This thread has turned into posters reflexively triggering each other back and forth over minor political differences when Trump goes for more than 12 hours without tripping on his own dick. It's filled with posters like Calibanibal who use this thread as a personal output for their id because no one will follow them on Twitter. However, I greatly appreciate Party Plane Jones and Prester Jane and those posters that actually share news and discuss issues - even Covok (who I think enjoys playing into the meme you've made of him) when he takes the time to calm down and actually think about what he is typing.

Kubrick fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 4, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Well, see, if child labor is illegal but not criminalized, or if criminalization can never fall on the parents, then what good are child labor laws when there's no consequence for them? I suppose we're supposed to intimate that "legal intervention if necessary" doesn't refer to already-existing criminal situations like child abuse or child labor law violations?

are you being intentionally obtuse?

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

are you being intentionally obtuse?

The point is that there already exist situations where parents can face jail or prison for how they treat their children, and some of the crimes can result in truancy. So in order for your criticism to make sense, you would have to oppose any degree of criminalization of these actions, or you would have to be operating on a game of telephone where you assume that Californication Deathtroopers are breaking down doors and stealing children from innocent parents for missing a day of school.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kubrick posted:

Lurker Opinion: This thread has turned into posters reflexively triggering each other back and forth over minor political differences when Trump goes for more than 12 hours without dripping on his own dick. It's filled with posters like Calibanibal who use this thread as a personal output for their id because no one will follow them on Twitter. However, I greatly appreciate Party Plane Jones and Prester Jane and those posters that actually share news and discuss issues - even Covok (who I think enjoys playing into the meme you've made of him) when he takes the time to calm down and actually think about what he is typing.

This is every thread on SA after more than 100 pages. Go look at CanPol: It's the same dozen posters sucking on their own word-turds every single day.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

drat Your Eyes! posted:

The only place I've actually heard the jail part emphasized is from goons, the resources even recommend using supportive language rather than blame when speaking to parents.

I did read the actual bill at one point and it does reference jail deep down after all the steps, but only because it is essentially a child welfare law and thus must match standard child welfare punishments. Punishment is waived by accepting state provided assistance.

uh, it being buried deep down in a bill doesn't change the fact that it's idiotic and counterproductive, regardless of the situation. if you want kids going to school, throwing their parents in jail doesn't help that.

were these kids helped by their mother being thrown in jail? no

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

yeah i've had my issues with condiv (like, a lot) but shrike of all people doesn't get to call out anyone. gently caress that guy.

anyway, here's republicans getting roasted at town halls. enjoy.
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/904757120884764672

I could jerk off to this all day but I'll never cum until the people getting roasted actually get voted out.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nothus posted:

Yet another group of morons who weren't listening to what Trump was saying during the campaign.

They were though. He lied to their faces.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Rime posted:

This is every thread on SA after more than 100 pages. Go look at CanPol: It's the same dozen posters sucking on their own word-turds every single day.

Very true. The difference is that in other threads we don't have to sort through ~800 posts a day to find the good ones.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The point is that there already exist situations where parents can face jail or prison for how they treat their children, and some of the crimes can result in truancy. So in order for your criticism to make sense, you would have to oppose any degree of criminalization of these actions, or you would have to be operating on a game of telephone where you assume that Californication Deathtroopers are breaking down doors and stealing children from innocent parents for missing a day of school.

my argument is that turning truancy into a crime applicable to parents is idiotic cause it solves nothing and causes more problems

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rime posted:

This is also you in the climate change thread but at least youre self aware. :v:

Also dont tell people to look at CanPol. That could be considered a war crime.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Condiv posted:

were these kids helped by their mother being thrown in jail? no

American jails aren't a solution to much other than "How can we replace slave labour?". The idea of privately run for-profit prisons is just completely loving mind-boggling to me.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Hellblazer187 posted:

How many of y'all would move to western Europe if the legal immigration part of it were easier?

Edit: Corollary question: I know there are some Europeans in this thread. Would anything make you consider moving to the US?

I'm wondering if EU is just BETTER overall than USA.
This is late, but I've actually had to think about this carefully. I'm a computer scientist in the UK currently looking for a long-term job as I come to the end of a successful postdoc (think short-term contract). Long-term jobs are incredibly hard to get, always require moving, often require moving country, and the US is a very good source of them. Visas are easy to get for STEM research jobs, and they generally come with good enough insurance that healthcare isn't an issue. Two years ago I would have absolutely loved a tenure-track position in one of the major US universities in my field, even in a red state. And despite all that, now I genuinely can't think of a remotely plausible job offer good enough to convince me to move there. Like, maybe a chair at MIT. And only then if I could be sure Trump wouldn't retroactively invalidate my right to remain, which I consider a serious risk. Meanwhile, I'd seriously consider any offer in western Europe even though my only non-English non-dead language is half-remembered school French. (Maybe not Greece, but only because every time I check their economy is imploding so badly it might take the Eurozone down with it.)

Oh, and all that's as a white dude with a received pronunciation accent, so I don't even have to worry about racism. By which I mean everything up to and including literally getting shot in the street by the police. I do need to worry about homophobia, but from the outside that looks like a much less severe problem.

e: A corollary of this: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who can get a visa to Europe and doesn't have strong family ties should GTFO. If you're staying, it should be because you're prepared to join the Democrats, become politically active, and fight to take your country back.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 4, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kubrick posted:

Lurker Opinion: This thread has turned into posters reflexively triggering each other back and forth over minor political differences when Trump goes for more than 12 hours without dripping on his own dick. It's filled with posters like Calibanibal who use this thread as a personal output for their id because no one will follow them on Twitter. However, I greatly appreciate Party Plane Jones and Prester Jane and those posters that actually share news and discuss issues - even Covok (who I think enjoys playing into the meme you've made of him) when he takes the time to calm down and actually think about what he is typing.

Hey, a good post!

I'd also add that the easy trollability of people in this thread is because people are desperate to argue with someone with a pulse instead of Russian Twitter bots.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

my argument is that turning truancy into a crime applicable to parents is idiotic cause it solves nothing and causes more problems

But truancy is already potentially a consequence of crimes committed by parents. So we must either assume that this is meant to generalize things to the point of arresting people because their child misses a day, against the face of the evidence, or we can conclude that dipshits on Twitter freaked out without knowing the context and now everyone that considers themselves on the left will be heartily and accidentally denouncing the idea that abusive parents should not be allowed to maintain custody of their children, because "critique" is more important.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

botany posted:

didn't roberts write Shelby? based on that alone i'd assume the worst honestly.

Roberts capriciously mitigates his poo poo stain beliefs with the knowledge that history is going to judge him and the understanding that if the Supreme Court goes too far off the rails it becomes the new Congress instead of the hallowed haruspex of the Constitution. The question is never whether he wants to rule like a giant rear end in a top hat, it's whether he'll curtail that desire in the realization that it would impact future opportunities to rule like a giant rear end in a top hat.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Well since it's on topic, it's sharing time again.

I went to middle school in a very white, upper-middle class area. I think there were all of 2 other black kids. I got bullied a lot (which is why I quit my robotics class) and I started waking up with panic attacks. I couldn't really tell my mom what was going on because I didn't know what anxiety was really at the time. I was always told "Kids don't have nerves" and things like that. She would wake me up and I would cry and tell her that I was sick. I threw up a lot so let me stay home. I also used to do things like sneaking into her room and turn her alarm off so we'd sleep in until noon, and by then she'd let me stay home because the day was practically over anyway. I had a single mom, she was a chef and worked A LOT, so sometimes I would skip school on my own and go to the library or something.

The school hated my mom because of this. I was truant a lot, I was the "problem" black kid. We were poor. She was single and worked a lot, so she missed a lot of school functions. I used to go to nurse a lot ask to go home. They called the cops on her. I ended up getting pulled out until high school. Weirdly enough my mom gave me a better education probably. I read the Biography of Malcolm X, Lies My Teacher Told Me and A People's History. She took me a therapist and I enrolled in high school and was it a lot better. I almost lost my mom because I was a mentally ill kid who didn't know how to communicate.

Long story short, I don't think calling the cops is the answer.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

i had a chance there and i took it. i don't think i could've found a job in another country that would've afforded me the opportunity to emigrate. it was really a one in a hundred kind of job offer and i just happened to have experience in a rather rare programming language they needed a developer for

I'm glad you found something good, at least, and you aren't stuck teaching English like most expats.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In 'Swastikas are hard to draw' news, saw this in downtown Charlottesville a block up from the intersection:

The street is still closed off, by the way. The flowers have been rained on several times but people still add more daily.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Uglycat posted:

While all the active posters are telling each-other not to post, I'd like to take the time to yell at the lurkers.

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

:stonk: he saw me

Condiv posted:

Dude's saying that the only time people serve time for truancy is when the truancy is related to the parent committing a crime, like they are purposely not allowing their child to go to school so they can abuse them, put them to work, or whatever the gently caress. I'm a teacher in California and this lines up with what I see in my district regarding attendance policy, though admittedly my experience is anecdotal.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

But truancy is already potentially a consequence of crimes committed by parents. So we must either assume that this is meant to generalize things to the point of arresting people because their child misses a day, against the face of the evidence, or we can conclude that dipshits on Twitter freaked out without knowing the context and now everyone that considers themselves on the left will be heartily and accidentally denouncing the idea that abusive parents should not be allowed to maintain custody of their children, because "critique" is more important.

if the parents are committing crimes, let them be arrested for those crimes. we don't need to make truancy a crime to do that. i'm not sure why you're being this obtuse

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

I went to middle school in a very white, upper-middle class area. I think there were all of 2 other black kids. I got bullied a lot (which is why I quit my robotics class) and I started waking up with panic attacks. I couldn't really tell my mom what was going on because I didn't know what anxiety was really at the time. I was always told "Kids don't have nerves" and things like that. She would wake me up and I would cry and tell her that I was sick. I threw up a lot so let me stay home. I also used to do things like sneaking into her room and turn her alarm off so we'd sleep in until noon, and by then she'd let me stay home because the day was practically over anyway. I had a single mom, she was a chef and worked A LOT, so sometimes I would skip school on my own and go to the library or something.

The school hated my mom because of this. I was truant a lot, I was the "problem" black kid. We were poor. She was single and worked a lot, so she missed a lot of school functions. I used to go to nurse a lot ask to go home. They called the cops on her. I ended up getting pulled out until high school. Weirdly enough my mom gave me a better education probably. I read the Biography of Malcolm X, Lies My Teacher Told Me and A People's History. She took me a therapist and I enrolled in high school and was it a lot better. I almost lost my mom because I was a mentally ill kid who didn't know how to communicate.

jesus.

i'm sorry you went through that, KM.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/347183311489224705

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Condiv posted:

debt collectors will go after your relatives if you've died

i mean sure, de jure that debt is gone but it doesn't mean you won't be hounded for it still. and that people who don't know their rights won't fall for the predatory debt collectors who will say whatever to try to get money out of you

Is there not already a cottage industry of indigent terminally sick people buying up the debt of others in exchange for assistance paying for palliative care so the debt is canceled when they die?

BRB, forming a LLC in Delaware...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Serious question, why would you reject a much better than other alternatives job offer in the States (other than the mentioned but apparently secondary "Trump terminates UK work visas because they built one too many wind turbines near his golf course or served him steak with a hint of non-black colour" problem)? If you're well off it's not, and won't be*, any meaningful amount more of a hellscape than it was two years ago.

poo poo, if you can afford to send kiddos to private schools, even the DeVos nightmare apocalypse wouldn't be that bad. :v:

I'm not saying Trump isn't incredibly awful, but he isn't gonna impact my day to day life (as a white person) to the degree that it meaningfully shifts my preexisting calculus. I'd weight a job offer from a better country just about the same way I would have on November 7 2016 in the Before Time.

* - offer not valid if Trump starts a nuclear war or wakes the sleeping elder gods

Edit: holy poo poo thread moves fast for a non Trump tweet day but I neglected to quote some Brit compsci goon as the main sample case I was responding to

Double edit: pumpinglemma

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 4, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

His name was Albert Einstein

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hawkgirl posted:

:stonk: he saw me

Dude's saying that the only time people serve time for truancy is when the truancy is related to the parent committing a crime, like they are purposely not allowing their child to go to school so they can abuse them, put them to work, or whatever the gently caress. I'm a teacher in California and this lines up with what I see in my district regarding attendance policy, though admittedly my experience is anecdotal.

why can't they be charged with those crimes instead of criminalizing truancy? cause the law does in fact criminalize truancy itself, which as i said before doesn't make a lot of sense. if the kids are being abused, etc, then the parents can go to jail for that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My state still criminalizes juvenile "status offenses" like truancy, runanway, etc.

They absolutely imprison kids.for it and it's exactly.as horrible.an idea.as.youd expect.it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

that's another problem with criminalizing truancy. chances are, it's going to be used against minorities more than anything else. and with the way the justice system treats minorities, should we really risk that?

• Locked thread