Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

well, as long as someone enjoys it. I need a drat garage so I can have n+1 instead of 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Probably a scam :(

https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/used/road/super-sport-subtype/honda/vfr400/

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I absolutely don't need a bike payment, I need to wait until Winter... Is this even a good deal? Seems like some PO headaches (This would be first bike, btw)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I heard a banjo strumming while I read that ad

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is a solid deal, but I think when "dog chewing" makes it into an ad you have to know what you are in for.

edit- FWIW, my friend just paid $2800 for the same year with similar miles, in silver, this afternoon. SV prices are retarded these days.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
"btw here's some pictures of a civic"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Also, even if it was real I'm not sure a bike with <300 miles on it a year is a good idea.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I will try to be as honest as I can.

Not promisin nothin

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

I would buy this based on the ad alone.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

My heart breaks :( someone play the ASPCA theme song and rescue this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Revvik posted:

My heart breaks :( someone play the ASPCA theme song and rescue this.

I need a parts bike...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/d/97-kawasaki-zg1000/6282832243.html

That mileage :eyepop:

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
so, about halfway there.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

$950? not bad. If the compression is good and the valvetrain was maintained, run the piss out of it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Brappo.

2005 TM 530 Black dream
125KG /275 LBS
39 HP

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What is happening there?! Is that chinese? Why can't I have it?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's very very italian. A little history.

And If you are in the US here is the Current lineup with price list

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Supradog posted:

Brappo.

2005 TM 530 Black dream
125KG /275 LBS
39 HP

I swear I've seen one of these for sale on Craigslist in Texas.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Okay.... okay, so the rear brake is inside of the chain, which is odd, but it puts the rear brake on the center line of the bike, which seems like a good idea.

Can someone tell me about that front brake though? Does having it mounted that far out on the rim do anything? Having trouble figuring if that setup changes anything other than increasing front brake surface.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Well, that's a single-sided swingarm. There's nowhere else to put the brake disc, really.

And the front is a ZTL brake, like on a Buell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buell_Motorcycle_Company#Technology

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TheNothingNew posted:

Okay.... okay, so the rear brake is inside of the chain, which is odd, but it puts the rear brake on the center line of the bike, which seems like a good idea.

Can someone tell me about that front brake though? Does having it mounted that far out on the rim do anything? Having trouble figuring if that setup changes anything other than increasing front brake surface.

I would imagine that the wheel, not the brake rotor, is on the centerline of the bike.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2001-suzuki-bandit-1200s/6294816501.html

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Rim mounted brakes warp like bitches. Altho could just be a buell thing.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

M42 posted:

Rim mounted brakes warp like bitches. Altho could just be a buell thing.

The new EBR's I rode had pulsing on front brake application, and you could feel a slight pull to the right on hard braking. gently caress that stupid brake design.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

R-Type posted:

The new EBR's I rode had pulsing on front brake application, and you could feel a slight pull to the right on hard braking. gently caress that stupid brake design.

There shouldn't be any way at all a single-disk brake would cause the bike to pull to the side, rither it had hosed tyres/suspension or there was something psychosomatic going on there. No matter where the brakes are the forces from them are applied to the contact patch on the tyres, and thus down the centre of the bike - otherwise every bike would pull towards the side that the chain was on under power.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

It's got the wacky half assed electronic carbs. They are a bitch to get off the bike and a pain in the rear end to get back in. No dealer will touch it. That said it's easy to get parts.
It's got tons of torque, but gutless up top, heavy all over the place and will corner "ok", but not great.

If you have cash to blow, go over to Dale Walker's https://www.holeshot.com where the guy does magical things with these bikes, for the low cost of cubic dollars.
http://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/bandit/600-1200

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There shouldn't be any way at all a single-disk brake would cause the bike to pull to the side, rither it had hosed tyres/suspension or there was something psychosomatic going on there. No matter where the brakes are the forces from them are applied to the contact patch on the tyres, and thus down the centre of the bike - otherwise every bike would pull towards the side that the chain was on under power.

Doesn't the front wheel have a axis of rotation that the rear wheel doesn't? Would that affect things?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
https://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2010-honda-vfr1200-vfr-1200/6293387470.html

These things are bad, right? On paper it seems like it'd be a decent tourer, though it weighs 100 lbs. more than I figured it would. It's been for sale for literally a year, slowly dropping in price.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't find many big boy bikes with ABS for that price period, in my area. Seems like a steal at $5,500 or so.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fats posted:

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2010-honda-vfr1200-vfr-1200/6293387470.html

These things are bad, right? On paper it seems like it'd be a decent tourer, though it weighs 100 lbs. more than I figured it would. It's been for sale for literally a year, slowly dropping in price.

Small gas tank, not great gas mileage, don't expect to outrun a Blackbird and I would get rid of the anime exhaust cans first off. I got to spend some time with the 2011 model, my thoughts were - drat it loving Honda, how to you manage to make a drat V-4 so lame? Braking is so-so and maneuverability is on par with an ST-1300. It's a really best suited for an inner-city commuter - courier bike really. Under 6K doesn't seem like too bad of a deal and I'm positive the bike won't have any reliability issues.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 9, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
$6K is a good price, but it's that low because no one really wants those bikes so resale sucks. Decent but not great bikes, feels heavier than it should. Also :lol: VFR valve checks.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 9, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love how those bikes look, and appreciate them for what they are, and even I am repulsed by them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's the deal with VFR valve checks? Logic says a V4 shouldn't be worse than an I4 outside of maybe access to the valvetrain.
Is it a VFR problem or a V4 problem?
How many valves are there, are they shimmed, and what is such a nightmare?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Honda's first design principle is "the factory has assembled it right so anyone taking it apart is a bad person who must be punished".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Doesn't the front wheel have a axis of rotation that the rear wheel doesn't? Would that affect things?

Think about the actual forces and where they're going. Imagine you're sitting on the bike and try and turn the bars by pushing or pulling parallel to the bike from the dead centre, over the steering head - it can't be done. That's the line where any forces from the brakes will be transmitted into the steering system because that's where they're attached to the system (at the midpoint between the front wheel bearings). Instinctively you feel like braking on the right side of the wheel will cause it to turn right because the forces aren't balanced but the whole wheel is a single system, there's nowhere at all for that force to be applied other than through that centre line.

I've explained that really badly, I know, but it makes sense, I promise.

Now I think of it though it's *possible* a particularly heavy front brake system on one side of the wheel might cause some effect because it will have inertia and try to keep going forwards as you slow, so it's possible that a right-sided brake system might cause the bars to turn *left* under very heavy braking, which could cause a little right lean. I'm still fairly certain it would be completely lost in the general noise of all the other forces involved.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What's the deal with VFR valve checks? Logic says a V4 shouldn't be worse than an I4 outside of maybe access to the valvetrain.
Is it a VFR problem or a V4 problem?
How many valves are there, are they shimmed, and what is such a nightmare?

1 word, VTEC.

E: As far as I know, the actual check isn't difficult, it's when you have to replace shims on the VTEC setup that it becomes a nightmare.

Gonna Send It fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 10, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/d/bb-2013-honda-cb1100/6269066183.html

omggggg I have a huge boner for boring bikes, and this is so cheap. I think I'm going to lie to my wife about this having ABS...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Why is a dealer selling that bike for so little? Either he's really tired of it taking up floor space or something's wrong - that's like, scam cheap.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jazzzzz posted:

Why is a dealer selling that bike for so little? Either he's really tired of it taking up floor space or something's wrong - that's like, scam cheap.

I think it's a pawn shop. I've been watching it drop from $4k or so over the past few weeks.

call to action fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There's a place near me called Road, Track and Trail. All their bikes are suspiciously cheap.

I don't trust those motherfuckers.