Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Serious question, why would you reject a much better than other alternatives job offer in the States (other than the mentioned but apparently secondary "Trump terminates UK work visas because they built one too many wind turbines near his golf course or served him steak with a hint of non-black colour" problem)? If you're well off it's not, and won't be*, any meaningful amount more of a hellscape than it was two years ago.

poo poo, if you can afford to send kiddos to private schools, even the DeVos nightmare apocalypse wouldn't be that bad. :v:

I'm not saying Trump isn't incredibly awful, but he isn't gonna impact my day to day life (as a white person) to the degree that it meaningfully shifts my preexisting calculus. I'd weight a job offer from a better country just about the same way I would have on November 7 2016 in the Before Time.

* - offer not valid if Trump starts a nuclear war or wakes the sleeping elder gods

Edit: holy poo poo thread moves fast for a non Trump tweet day but I neglected to quote some Brit compsci goon as the main sample case I was responding to

This is an extremely selfish way to look at the world and its unfortunate that you are probably not alone in thinking like this.

e: taxed twice in one day
http://i.imgur.com/T47IAkI.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Serious question, why would you reject a much better than other alternatives job offer in the States (other than the mentioned but apparently secondary "Trump terminates UK work visas because they built one too many wind turbines near his golf course or served him steak with a hint of non-black colour" problem)? If you're well off it's not, and won't be*, any meaningful amount more of a hellscape than it was two years ago.

I would legit be scared of living in the US, and I held that opinion before Trump became president too. The amount of violence, crime and murder is absurd. If I managed to ignore that, I still wouldn't want to live in a country where workers rights and social/medical safety meant nothing.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A white dude with the ability to emigrate to another western country professionally isn't likely to have to worry about healthcare costs etc. Just ask most European professionals in the US - they're likely making more than back home even net costs.

Talking about emigrating abroad due to political beliefs is pretty silly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean, a swastika is just two angular S why do people overthink them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

shrike82 posted:

A white dude with the ability to emigrate to another western country professionally isn't likely to have to worry about healthcare costs etc. Just ask most European professionals in the US - they're likely making more than back home even net costs.

"Likely"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Is there not already a cottage industry of indigent terminally sick people buying up the debt of others in exchange for assistance paying for palliative care so the debt is canceled when they die?

BRB, forming a LLC in Delaware...

:stare:

My accounting brain is pretty sure there's not a way to do this on a larger coordinated scale that isn't hilariously illegal

But what if there is

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

pumpinglemma posted:

e: A corollary of this: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who can get a visa to Europe and doesn't have strong family ties should GTFO. If you're staying, it should be because you're prepared to join the Democrats, become politically active, and fight to take your country back.

Or cause, you know, you're too low class to be able to afford to move.

I'd have gotten the gently caress out some time ago, if I could.

Maybe I'll just go run off into the middle of the woods miles from the nearest humans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheRat posted:

I would legit be scared of living in the US, and I held that opinion before Trump became president too. The amount of violence, crime and murder is absurd. If I managed to ignore that, I still wouldn't want to live in a country where workers rights and social/medical safety meant nothing.

Okay yeah, I phrased the central question wrong and buried the caveat: why wouldn't one move here for a relocation offer that would be good in Generic Developed Country, that wouldn't have been true two years ago?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Calaveron posted:

I mean, a swastika is just two angular S why do people overthink them

I'm gonna go ahead and guess the people drawing them on average aren't terribly bright.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Do you still think it's ok to call people "Muzzies"?

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

why can't they be charged with those crimes instead of criminalizing truancy? cause the law does in fact criminalize truancy itself, which as i said before doesn't make a lot of sense. if the kids are being abused, etc, then the parents can go to jail for that

Well, you could look at the fact that child abuse law in California is harshly written and applied, and create intermediate misdemeanor charges that can be used instead of putting someone away for 2 years with a felony charge (and the prospect of three-strikes laws), so that there's a spectrum of responses that can be used if the situation is one where legal intervention is warranted, along with the parental support parts of the truancy toolkit.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Condiv posted:

why can't they be charged with those crimes instead of criminalizing truancy? cause the law does in fact criminalize truancy itself, which as i said before doesn't make a lot of sense. if the kids are being abused, etc, then the parents can go to jail for that

So like say you're a severely mentally ill single parent that has severe paranoid delusions, but you can hang in society juuuust barely well enough that you are hanging on to some poo poo job and you are raising a kid. And you get a serious paranoid delusion about your kid's school and decide to no longer allow your child to attend school. But you don't hit your kid and you still feed them dinner and poo poo, you just make sure they never see anyone except for you. You lie to the school and say your child is very ill, because you know that will get you at least a few weeks. I suppose you could get really nitty gritty about your exact definition of child abuse, and codify it into the child abuse law, or you could just criminalize chronic truancy. AFAIK the CA law only has criminal penalties for parents of kids that are absent for more than 10% of the school year. That comes out to missing about a month of school. Even then, most districts (like mine) have an attendance policy that requires trying to mediate the situation with parent-student-staff meetings and home and hospital teachers (even without doctor's notes) before referring the situation to law enforcement.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

I'm glad you found something good, at least, and you aren't stuck teaching English like most expats.

thanks, i'm really thankful i got this chance. i always dreamed of living somewhere cooler, where it's green a lot and it rains, and i'm very glad to live in that kind of environment now. the air here also seems to be better for my lungs than the air in oklahoma was, so i'm grateful for that too

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

This is late, but I've actually had to think about this carefully. I'm a computer scientist in the UK currently looking for a long-term job as I come to the end of a successful postdoc (think short-term contract). Long-term jobs are incredibly hard to get, always require moving, often require moving country, and the US is a very good source of them. Visas are easy to get for STEM research jobs, and they generally come with good enough insurance that healthcare isn't an issue. Two years ago I would have absolutely loved a tenure-track position in one of the major US universities in my field, even in a red state. And despite all that, now I genuinely can't think of a remotely plausible job offer good enough to convince me to move there. Like, maybe a chair at MIT. And only then if I could be sure Trump wouldn't retroactively invalidate my right to remain, which I consider a serious risk. Meanwhile, I'd seriously consider any offer in western Europe even though my only non-English non-dead language is half-remembered school French. (Maybe not Greece, but only because every time I check their economy is imploding so badly it might take the Eurozone down with it.)

Oh, and all that's as a white dude with a received pronunciation accent, so I don't even have to worry about racism. By which I mean everything up to and including literally getting shot in the street by the police. I do need to worry about homophobia, but from the outside that looks like a much less severe problem.

e: A corollary of this: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who can get a visa to Europe and doesn't have strong family ties should GTFO. If you're staying, it should be because you're prepared to join the Democrats, become politically active, and fight to take your country back.

Thanks for the input. This has been something that's been weighing on me for a while. We were all set to move to the US - we got the visa, sold a bunch of our stuff, etc. We're just kind of killing time right now while we figure out the next thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

thanks, i'm really thankful i got this chance. i always dreamed of living somewhere cooler, where it's green a lot and it rains, and i'm very glad to live in that kind of environment now. the air here also seems to be better for my lungs than the air in oklahoma was, so i'm grateful for that too

Oh, you're from Oklahoma?

I suddenly have slightly more sympathy for your abrasiveness. :v:

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
Child labor laws, meanwhile, have a minimum fine of $5,000 for violating work-hour restrictions, which can be applied to parents or guardians who knowingly violate these laws. Which is again, pretty drat harsh to lay onto poor people.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What's interesting between now and seven months ago is that the responses then to shit_that_didn't_happen.txt tweets like this were usually some variation of "a dozen bots chanting #MAGA", a midwestern housewife going "you got this, Mr. President! We all believe in you!" and two different guys linking to their trump merch stores.

Now it's nonstop people clowning him. I know Putin turned off the spigot for a lot of the bot love, but even the few pro-trumpers that make it through to the comments get laughed out of their own subthreads.

Obviously a twitter chain is not the be-all, end-all of a turning point, but it strikes me that in seven months we've got enough vociferously anti-Trump people on Twitter to make even the President's own twitter a bad place to be if you're a kool-aid drinking MAGACHUD

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Koalas March posted:

Do you still think it's ok to call people "Muzzies"?

Yes that's French these kids are speaking. No they aren't French, they're American.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

William Contraalto posted:

Well, you could look at the fact that child abuse law in California is harshly written and applied, and create intermediate misdemeanor charges that can be used instead of putting someone away for 2 years with a felony charge (and the prospect of three-strikes laws), so that there's a spectrum of responses that can be used if the situation is one where legal intervention is warranted, along with the parental support parts of the truancy toolkit.

so first you're angry cause you think i don't want to punish child abusers, now you've switched to this being an opportunity to be more lenient on child abuse?

how about this, a law like this would easily be exploited to jail minority parents. and the judicial system and jail would put those parents at a lot of risk (job loss, death, injury, and more). koalas march already gave you an anecdotal example from her life. now imagine if her mom could've been jailed for her truancy. do you really think this is worth risking people like her mom being put in jail?

Hawkgirl posted:

So like say you're a severely mentally ill single parent that has severe paranoid delusions, but you can hang in society juuuust barely well enough that you are hanging on to some poo poo job and you are raising a kid. And you get a serious paranoid delusion about your kid's school and decide to no longer allow your child to attend school. But you don't hit your kid and you still feed them dinner and poo poo, you just make sure they never see anyone except for you. You lie to the school and say your child is very ill, because you know that will get you at least a few weeks. I suppose you could get really nitty gritty about your exact definition of child abuse, and codify it into the child abuse law, or you could just criminalize chronic truancy. AFAIK the CA law only has criminal penalties for parents of kids that are absent for more than 10% of the school year. That comes out to missing about a month of school. Even then, most districts (like mine) have an attendance policy that requires trying to mediate the situation with parent-student-staff meetings and home and hospital teachers (even without doctor's notes) before referring the situation to law enforcement.

how is throwing this parent in jail helping anything? don't you think that would make the parent crazier, what with how traumatic jail is? how about mental health assistance instead?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 4, 2017

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Uglycat posted:

While all the active posters are telling each-other not to post, I'd like to take the time to yell at the lurkers.

Yeah, you. Fucker.

Post.

My outlook on the future of this country is more pessimistic than Covok's. Lurking is the better option by far.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
All of this points to the big structural issue that writing new crimes is easier than loosening standards on punishing existing crimes, because of the interest groups that are obsessed with law, order, and social control and who hold a great deal of political power. Which is also extremely relevant to issues like the War on Drugs.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

botany posted:

sorry to come back to north korea for a second, but this is a really good if incredibly bleak article:

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/04/undercover-in-north-korea-all-paths-lead-to-catastrophe/

i'm not gonna copy paste it here cause it isn't that long and it's really all important, so there's no point picking out certain parts.

It's a good interview, but nothing we didn't know already. I think it also misses the point of how much penetration outside media has in NK by now. May be elite NK students don't have bootleg USBs with SK and US entertainment, but from what I have read it's uncommon among the NK masses.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It's fuckin hard to prove and convict child abuse too. "Mild" neglect and emotional abuse type stuff (like, for example, preventing your kid from attending school) is basically unprovable, or at best takes literal years to even accumulate enough evidence to charge on, at which point the problem is solved because the poor kid is 16+.

I teach in California and I have had many students be absent from school for a month or more for a variety of reasons, many of them total bullshit or nonexistent. None of my kids' parents have gone to jail over it.

I am not surprised to hear Koalas' story though. :( I would not be surprised if there are similar stories in California about the law being applied unjustly and unequally. What Koalas described would NOT be an acceptable circumstance to refer to law enforcement in my district. Not that I don't believe it happened, just that it shouldn't have. But that's not a problem with the law IMO, that's a problem with racism.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hellblazer187 posted:

How many of y'all would move to western Europe if the legal immigration part of it were easier?

Edit: Corollary question: I know there are some Europeans in this thread. Would anything make you consider moving to the US?
Jesus Christ, no. I've got ex-pat relatives in the US (one set are firmly Dem, the other - the rich ones - have gone full Tea Party/Trump to the point that I blocked my cousin on Facebook for spouting non-stop "what about WHITE lives?" racist poo poo, after telling her what I thought of her politics) and there is not a single thing any of them could say to entice me to make the move. Most of it is about healthcare - the idea of being financially ruined by an illness or accident is terrifying to someone who's lived their whole life with the British NHS - but the whole angry, ARE FREEDUMS God 'n' guns 'n' flag thing is an utterly alien mindset that puts me right off, even though I know full well that not everyone is like that. Plus, y'know, there's the whole Trump thing right now.

On the other hand, I've been travelling around Europe for a year, and I would move to southern France, Spain, Italy or Portugal pretty much immediately if Brexit hadn't hosed everything up and made it impossible to know what the situation will be long-term. :argh:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 4, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Flapjack Monty posted:

My outlook on the future of this country is more pessimistic than Covok's. Lurking is the better option by far.

Another one for the "Yellowstone goes off in October" bucket

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

pokie posted:

It's a good interview, but nothing we didn't know already. I think it also misses the point of how much penetration outside media has in NK by now. May be elite NK students don't have bootleg USBs with SK and US entertainment, but from what I have read it's uncommon among the NK masses.

So what you're saying is that we should be aiming for a cultural victory

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Kubrick posted:

Very true. The difference is that in other threads we don't have to sort through ~800 posts a day to find the good ones.

My thumb is so tired from scrolling :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hawkgirl posted:

It's fuckin hard to prove and convict child abuse too. "Mild" neglect and emotional abuse type stuff (like, for example, preventing your kid from attending school) is basically unprovable, or at best takes literal years to even accumulate enough evidence to charge on, at which point the problem is solved because the poor kid is 16+.

I teach in California and I have had many students be absent from school for a month or more for a variety of reasons, many of them total bullshit or nonexistent. None of my kids' parents have gone to jail over it.

I am not surprised to hear Koalas' story though. :( I would not be surprised if there are similar stories in California about the law being applied unjustly and unequally. What Koalas described would NOT be an acceptable circumstance to refer to law enforcement in my district. Not that I don't believe it happened, just that it shouldn't have. But that's not a problem with the law IMO, that's a problem with racism.

Smelly kid's got a good chance at being sexually abused.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What's interesting between now and seven months ago is that the responses then to shit_that_didn't_happen.txt tweets like this were usually some variation of "a dozen bots chanting #MAGA", a midwestern housewife going "you got this, Mr. President! We all believe in you!" and two different guys linking to their trump merch stores.

Now it's nonstop people clowning him. I know Putin turned off the spigot for a lot of the bot love, but even the few pro-trumpers that make it through to the comments get laughed out of their own subthreads.

Obviously a twitter chain is not the be-all, end-all of a turning point, but it strikes me that in seven months we've got enough vociferously anti-Trump people on Twitter to make even the President's own twitter a bad place to be if you're a kool-aid drinking MAGACHUD

Four years ago.

The worst part is that his twittershitting hasn't changed much at all since being elected. :gonk:

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

so first you're angry cause you think i don't want to punish child abusers, now you've switched to this being an opportunity to be more lenient on child abuse?

how about this, a law like this would easily be exploited to jail minority parents. and the judicial system and jail would put those parents at a lot of risk (job loss, death, injury, and more). koalas march already gave you an anecdotal example from her life. now imagine if her mom could've been jailed for her truancy?

No, I posted about how your standards, the line of thinking you were using, namely that separating children from parents is inherently bad as a reason to oppose this law, leads to some bad places. Now I am posting about how these laws are broadly in line with efforts to make rehabilitative justice a larger part of California's legal system. There's no contradiction here unless you're stupid enough to believe that everything is binary.

All laws will be exploited to target minorities disproportionately. That's what living in an unjust system means. However, because these laws are written in a context to discourage legal intervention, it seems difficult to say that they are more disproportionately aimed at minorities than, say, assault and battery laws are (and assault and battery laws are disproportionately targeted at minorities, let's be clear). So this line of argument is not really compelling as a reason to specifically attack these laws, because the problem it highlights is not the existence of these laws, it's the structural and environmental racism of California's school system and the individual racism of Californian teachers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

All of this points to the big structural issue that writing new crimes is easier than loosening standards on punishing existing crimes, because of the interest groups that are obsessed with law, order, and social control and who hold a great deal of political power. Which is also extremely relevant to issues like the War on Drugs.

Wouldnt that basically be the private prison system? They have a ton of money to throw at politicians and racism to fuel public support.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:stare:

My accounting brain is pretty sure there's not a way to do this on a larger coordinated scale that isn't hilariously illegal

But what if there is

There was a story on Reddit's legal advice forum where somebody described how the state government of South Dakota pulled a list of all residents with student loans, bought their debt, then unilaterally applied new repayment terms and demanded the debtor pay an increased amount or lose their driver's license. All of this is completely legal.

So after reading that I now think anything's possible.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

Koalas March posted:

Well since it's on topic, it's sharing time again.

I went to middle school in a very white, upper-middle class area. I think there were all of 2 other black kids. I got bullied a lot (which is why I quit my robotics class) and I started waking up with panic attacks. I couldn't really tell my mom what was going on because I didn't know what anxiety was really at the time. I was always told "Kids don't have nerves" and things like that. She would wake me up and I would cry and tell her that I was sick. I threw up a lot so let me stay home. I also used to do things like sneaking into her room and turn her alarm off so we'd sleep in until noon, and by then she'd let me stay home because the day was practically over anyway. I had a single mom, she was a chef and worked A LOT, so sometimes I would skip school on my own and go to the library or something.

The school hated my mom because of this. I was truant a lot, I was the "problem" black kid. We were poor. She was single and worked a lot, so she missed a lot of school functions. I used to go to nurse a lot ask to go home. They called the cops on her. I ended up getting pulled out until high school. Weirdly enough my mom gave me a better education probably. I read the Biography of Malcolm X, Lies My Teacher Told Me and A People's History. She took me a therapist and I enrolled in high school and was it a lot better. I almost lost my mom because I was a mentally ill kid who didn't know how to communicate.

Long story short, I don't think calling the cops is the answer.

I'm really sorry that happened to you, and I agree that getting the cops involved in bullying-related truancy is not going to help anything. My sister went through the same thing, and probably missed half of 4th grade. What did help her was an actually sympathetic school nurse raising a flag that eventually got her a therapist to deal with her own anxiety and got her back on track, and taught my mom some parenting skills that helped all of us out. Now as an adult, my job makes me a mandatory reporter so I am required by law to report ANY suspected child abuse or neglect, and constant absences like yours and my sister's are one of the things they train us to look out for that something is wrong-- even though in neither case was the parent actually at fault, for my sister it still eventually found the root issue. All teachers, nurses, etc are mandatory reporters. We don't report to the cops, though, but a social worker who is better equipped to deal with these things.

The CA chronic truancy policy I'm talking about does include jail time as one potential punishment, but (unlike that case linked above, which is from PA) is very specifically written so that time served is delayed and then cancelled (and charges erased) by following a treatment program that may include physical or mental health services, parenting classes, case management, or meeting with school officials-- jail only happens if the parent resists all change, which would probably only happen if they were really neglectful in general. It also recommends that the first step be that teachers actually talk to and work with parents, and gives them language to do so, rather than ignoring the kid, writing them off as bad, or calling the police. The policy was introduced as a way to prevent students from falling behind and eventually dropping out, because someone without a high school diploma is statistically more likely to spend life in and out of jail. I think it goes in the right direction.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Furnaceface posted:

Wouldnt that basically be the private prison system? They have a ton of money to throw at politicians and racism to fuel public support.

Private prisons, cops, well-off white people, the criminal justice system generally, white people generally, politicians, and well-off people generally, in more or less descending order of support, I think.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Condiv posted:

how about this, a law like this would easily be exploited to jail minority parents. and the judicial system and jail would put those parents at a lot of risk (job loss, death, injury, and more). koalas march already gave you an anecdotal example from her life. now imagine if her mom could've been jailed for her truancy. do you really think this is worth risking people like her mom being put in jail?

Koalas isn't from California, though like I said there's certainly evidence of Californians bending laws to be dicks to minorities. But our California law as written would not have allowed her scenario. Koalas, I assume your school would contact your mom and vice versa about your absences.

quote:

how is throwing this parent in jail helping anything? don't you think that would make the parent crazier, what with how traumatic jail is? how about mental health assistance instead?

I'm not a lawyer for sure but it's my understanding that the law is supposed to (supposed to) be applied more leniently than what you are implying. No school is calling law enforcement, saying "this kid hasn't been at school for a month. Go arrest their parents." This is a long-term, involved procedure that can theoretically end in jail time for a parent if it is deemed appropriate and necessary.

Here's the relevant part of CA ed code: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=EDC&division=4.&title=2.&part=27.&chapter=2.&article=5.

You have to go through a LOT of steps before even being allowed to notify law enforcement about a truant kid.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

It isn't just private prisons.

It is police and the providers of police equipment. It is politicians who want to look "tough on crime". It is the bail bondsman. It is lawyers too.

Think about the Criminal Justice system. Break it down step by step. Each of those steps and the people who supply for those steps have a vested interest in the status quo.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Smelly kid's got a good chance at being sexually abused.

Not always, and also, prove it.

All laws will be exploited to target minorities disproportionately. That's what living in an unjust system means. However, because these laws are written in a context to discourage legal intervention, it seems difficult to say that they are more disproportionately aimed at minorities than, say, assault and battery laws are (and assault and battery laws are disproportionately targeted at minorities, let's be clear). So this line of argument is not really compelling as a reason to specifically attack these laws, because the problem it highlights is not the existence of these laws, it's the structural and environmental racism of California's school system and the individual racism of Californian teachers.

Not that we aren't racist shits, but in this case it would be the individual racism of Californian school district support and office staff.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Hawkgirl posted:

Not always, and also, prove it.

Not that we aren't racist shits, but in this case it would be the individual racism of Californian school district support and office staff.

You're right, I should have written that. Sorry!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

AceOfFlames posted:

So no "game theory". That was the first thing I tried.)

You're not missing anything, that thread was poo poo and the OP was awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Payndz posted:

but the whole angry, ARE FREEDUMS God 'n' guns 'n' flag thing is an utterly alien mindset
Brexit
These are just different flavors of the same thing.

• Locked thread