Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

MarshyMcFly posted:

Has no one figured out that you can only buy weapon mod variants from the item store using mission funds? I've been buying common weapon mods for ages now and even have some maxed out.

I save up my mission funds for guaranteed ultra-rare weapons and that's how I've gotten the Rozerad and Hurricane that let me hang in Platinum while the rest of the squad has twice my APEX Rating, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Jenny Angel posted:

I've heard the shotgun thing before but do we have any confirmation on how that actually manifests in terms of game mechanics? I haven't found shotguns actually useful in the game despite them being my favorite broad weapon class in shooters, and I'm wondering if it's because of something in their stats that stems from their apparent status as cover weapons

It was discussed in Reddit by one of the devs, but mentioned here as well: http://blog.bioware.com/2017/05/09/patch-1-06-combat-balance-updates/

We’ve boosted the base damage for several underperforming assault rifles, pistols, and shotguns to make them more effective. In particular, we wanted shotguns to become better skirmish weapons, so we boosted their damage and accuracy outside of cover, while reducing the extra accuracy bonus when firing from cover.

They specifically went out of their way to design shotguns to mostly be functional from cover. This is the same patch that added between 10-80% damage to all of the shotguns.

This is the same team that spent built the jetpack combat (the thing that we generally like) in 6 months, and then spent 3 years trying to make No Man's Sky in a series known for it's story and character writing, then give up and spend 18 months trying to shove the game we got out the door.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The jetpack really kerfuffled the balance of multiplayer though. They should have just added/modded to the ME3 moveset instead of breaking it (and heavy melee) for a jetpack+climb system that fails to grab 50% of the time and doesn't actually make enemies miss.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I save up my mission funds for guaranteed ultra-rare weapons and that's how I've gotten the Rozerad and Hurricane that let me hang in Platinum while the rest of the squad has twice my APEX Rating, so

Honestly I always see that as a waste. You'll get them anyways just by buying character or reserve packs. If you want everything you'll only be able to get the weapon mods for a limited time via mission funds. Why not buy a lot instead of a little?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Suck My Dick From The Back? :laffo:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

The jetpack really kerfuffled the balance of multiplayer though. They should have just added/modded to the ME3 moveset instead of breaking it (and heavy melee) for a jetpack+climb system that fails to grab 50% of the time and doesn't actually make enemies miss.

All anybody wanted from MP was some bugfixes, higher resolution and better netcode.

They screwed the pooch.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I still don't understand why they took out over cover grabs unless it was a push from Big Shotgun (not claymore tho)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

moist turtleneck posted:

I still don't understand why they took out over cover grabs unless it was a push from Big Shotgun (not claymore tho)

I'm guessing it was a reaction to the farming that went on on FBW. Not defending it being taken out, since they could have just designated a few enemy classes as ones you can't grab, just like their fix in ME3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tribbledirigible posted:

I'm guessing it was a reaction to the farming that went on on FBW. Not defending it being taken out, since they could have just designated a few enemy classes as ones you can't grab, just like their fix in ME3.

Yeah that fits with their mo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Got in some games last night. Are we not talking about the Human Juggernaut, aka God Among Men? He gets DR just for doing damage (not even kills!), and has Fortify for more DR, and has Snap Freeze and Shockwave. AND the Remnant Cryo-Gauntlet, and he's only Rare so you have a good chance of maxing him. I'm lovin' it. Batarian Vanguard's gimmick of "Charge in then Punch Time" is also very fun, especially on Silver which is what I end up playing half the time now that the Rare pool is so diluted I keep getting rear end variants while for example I still only have a Sweeper 1 and no P.A.W. at all.

I've also determined that the Revenant absolutely owns now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So my friend and I are having this very weird issue where we always lose connection to lobbies that either of us are hosting. If I'm the host, he loses connection, and vice versa. If someone else is the host, we can play fine. Any idea what causes this?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Relentless posted:

This is the same team that spent built the jetpack combat (the thing that we generally like) in 6 months, and then spent 3 years trying to make No Man's Sky in a series known for it's story and character writing, then give up and spend 18 months trying to shove the game we got out the door.

I really, really don't want to fault devs for trying to take risks with game design. No Man's Sky with layers of quality scripted content over it sounds kind of awesome to me actually. I get what you're saying, but I also want to see things pushed forward.

Honestly, EA with all their money should be in a prime position to be an incubator for innovation. Instead they are simply content to churn at the AAA sausage factory wheel ad nauseam.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

There's totally room for that, just not with a 4th game meant to reboot a major series, being paid for by EA, who practically has a phobia of new ideas.

Had they made that and then followed up next year with EA Games & Hello Games Present: Mass Effect Adventures, great. But instead they halfassed the whole thing.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any game EA publishes has no chance at being anything above a cash-grab. They're not going to risk a dollar on a new idea, let alone thousands.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

MarshyMcFly posted:

Has no one figured out that you can only buy weapon mod variants from the item store using mission funds? I've been buying common weapon mods for ages now and even have some maxed out.
I think you only get the weapon mod variants if you've unlocked level 10 of all the original weapon mods at that rarity.

Unless you buy the weapon mod from the store, then you get a completely random one (which is thus more likely to be a mod variant).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah there's a ton of new Rare weapon variants that I didn't know existed until I bought a random one and got Heavy Sniper Rifle Barrel 1. Thanks Obama.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

On the plus side I just bought an Expert package, +15% power cooldowns and +15% pistol damage. I can't think of anything better for vanguards or adepts.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Two Finger posted:

On the plus side I just bought an Expert package, +15% power cooldowns and +15% pistol damage. I can't think of anything better for vanguards or adepts.

Hell it's the best one for Infiltrators. Pistols are just incredibly good, it turns out

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Posting here since the other Mass Effect thread is now archived.
Omnikey dismantling in Mass effect 2 & Mass Effect 3.

For anyone used to doing Coalesced modding in ME 2 & ME 3, I've now playtested my setup throughout both games and highly recommend it to anyone doing another playthrough of those games. I invested considerable effort figuring out the best way of dismantling the horrible omnikey (spacebar) into separate commands, making the games much more controllable and all but eliminating unnecessary deaths on Insanity. I'm not sure whether these are kosher in ME3MP. My setup borrows and improves on the efforts of others, takes some time to learn but is well worth it. There's an intuitive controls mod that has a somewhat similar layout for ME 3 but presents slightly more opportunity for key confusion and I've never seen one for ME 2.

The scheme for ME 2 is:
( Name="Storm", Command=" TryClimbOrMantleCover | OnRelease StormOff | OnHold 0.2 StormOn") (I bound to Shift key)
( Name="Use", Command="Exclusive Used | TryExitCover 1" ) (I bound to E key)
( Name="Shared_Action", Command="Exclusive TryAcquireCover" ) (I bound to Spacebar ) (This replaces the original shared_action command)

The scheme for ME 3 is:
( Name="PC_Storm", Command="Exclusive TryStandingJump | Exclusive Pressaction | OnRelease StormOff | StormOn ") (I bound to Shift key)
( Name="Use", Command="Exclusive Used | TryExitCover") (I bound to E key)
( Name="Shared_Action", Command="TryAcquireCover") (I bound to Spacebar ) (This replaces the original shared_action command)

These are the basic commands that need to be created, distilled as much as possible. Remember that these are commands, and that after adding them you need to make bindings for those commands, which can only be done in a coalesced editor as “Storm” and “Use” will not appear in the game menu. The process is pretty easy and can be done in 15 minutes with a simple coalesced editor for both games and using the PC Tweaks page as a reference. The PC tweaks pages for the original trilogy are a goldmine for all kinds of improvements.

Explanation of the improvements:
E is now Use key and break cover.
Spacebar is now Take Cover and nothing else.
Shift key is now Sprinting, Jumping over gaps, Dodging (but not forward dodging) Mantling over cover and rolling between cover.

Advantages:
No confusion between dodging and taking cover. No confusion between sprinting and the Use key. You will never get sucked into cover while trying to sprint. You won’t break cover by accident, since take cover and break cover are on different keys. You won’t break cover by accident while attempting to roll between cover, although diagonal arrows will still let you roll out of cover by pressing shift. You *can* still mantle over cover while attempting to roll between cover as both are on the shift key, but this is endemic to the Pressaction subcommand itself which is the only way to roll between cover and mantle obstacles. You can now freely dodge while sprinting by pressing the movement buttons and tapping shift and you will never get sucked behind cover. The only *true* disadvantage of this setup is that you can no longer dodge forwards, but it’s worth it because the horrible Tapaction subcommand is now no longer used, and dodging forwards was its only contribution not covered by other commands.

What’s even more brilliant about this setup is you can mirror it in both games, making transitioning from ME 2 to ME 3 easier in terms of muscle memory.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 24, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Was there ever a primary thread for Andromeda? I picked it up at half price and just started playing it today.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Was. It's long gone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Was there ever a primary thread for Andromeda? I picked it up at half price and just started playing it today.

Yep. It's now called "The gaming food megathread", because food is often good, and Andromeda isn't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm actually looking forward to replaying Andromeda once I'm done with a bunch of stuff I've got backlogged on our PS4. I feel like now that I know which quests to do it will be a lot better.

Plus I've got like 120 Gold reward boxes from MP that I never opened so I'll probably not have to worry about crafting at all.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dick Trauma posted:

It was a disaster filled with nothing but hate for the game so I think it got poo poo canned.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

So much of the game has me perplexed. I was hoping for one of those megathread info extravaganzas. I played ME 1-3 so I thought it would be a smooth transition.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

precision posted:

I'm actually looking forward to replaying Andromeda once I'm done with a bunch of stuff I've got backlogged on our PS4. I feel like now that I know which quests to do it will be a lot better.

Plus I've got like 120 Gold reward boxes from MP that I never opened so I'll probably not have to worry about crafting at all.

Good News! The Andromeda team predicted you would do this and made sure boxes would scale to your level. So if you open them early, then you'll get jack poo poo for resources and only the current tier weapons tied to your in-game level.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Dick Trauma posted:

So much of the game has me perplexed. I was hoping for one of those megathread info extravaganzas. I played ME 1-3 so I thought it would be a smooth transition.

This is it. The mod did a wacky renaming of it. It's a million pages long and once the game is out it's mostly people talking about how bad it is.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796973

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

What are you struggling with?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thor-Stryker posted:

Good News! The Andromeda team predicted you would do this and made sure boxes would scale to your level. So if you open them early, then you'll get jack poo poo for resources and only the current tier weapons tied to your in-game level.

Why would I open them all at level 1 though? I mean yeah that's kind of dumb but I don't think it's going against my point, seeing as I was swimming in weapons and crafting parts on my first playthrough without even having any of those boxes.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

precision posted:

Why would I open them all at level 1 though? I mean yeah that's kind of dumb but I don't think it's going against my point, seeing as I was swimming in weapons and crafting parts on my first playthrough without even having any of those boxes.

I'm not even saying at level one, I'm saying that the boost they give is never enough compared to the level you're at.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

What are you struggling with?

I have no idea where I'm painting myself into a corner with things like the new skill system, squad skills, crafting, strike teams. It's not that I need some sort of optimal setup, I just don't want to screw myself because I didn't understand the new game mechanics.

It's not a big deal. It's just a game. But if there's a good source for returning players to benefit from the experiences of others that's cool.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's a really easy game, very hard to gently caress yourself over with the skills.

The only thing I could recommend is focusing on a specialization instead of spreading it out everywhere cause the profile system is stupid.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I wanted to be a Sentinel (like I played in 1-3) but a Biotic with a rifle is going to have to do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The skill system is weird now with the whole only three powers but you can change on the fly thing. As long as you can self-detonate you'll be fine

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also be aware that you can respec at the med bay on the ....... tempest, that's what the ship's called in this one. The cost scales up every time you do it so don't go too hogwild with it I guess but just know that it's not like diablo 2 where you're locked into the choices you make at level 1, you can start over if you want to try something different.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Feel free to ask any questions you have in here. This thread is long dead.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Feel free to ask any questions you have in here. This thread is long dead.

It's probably better to do it here than in the other thread, since that thread is mostly about hating the game now

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thinking about how good this game could have been makes my face tired :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is the multiplayer still going tho

• Locked thread