Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

oh. the only other app I log into with my google account is gmail though and that doesn't have ads either so idk what value they're getting from that

they read your email and use it to help build their profile of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Soricidus posted:

oh. the only other app I log into with my google account is gmail though and that doesn't have ads either so idk what value they're getting from that

lmfao

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

im shocked apple users would rather spite google than have functional software

oh wait no im not

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Soricidus posted:

oh I'm sure they're not tracking you then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

where are the ads in the google maps app? I've never noticed them. is it just prioritising certain search results or something

no what they wanted was identified data and apple would only let them have de-identified. if this were any other app you'd just get a message about what they want to access when you run it, but since it was a competitor apple decided to give them special rules.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

no what they wanted was identified data and apple would only let them have de-identified. if this were any other app you'd just get a message about what they want to access when you run it, but since it was a competitor apple decided to give them special rules.

you're confused. the maps app belongs to apple, not google. always has. google wanted user data from apple's app and Apple told them to get hosed

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

as bad as google is with privacy, Facebook is still creepier

get suggestions for friends based on phone numbers calling me, on people using my wifi network, or emails they shouldn't know about

loving Facebook, I should uninstall
it but how am I going to stalk hot bitches without it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

get suggestions for friends based on phone numbers calling me, on people using my wifi network, or emails they shouldn't know about

????

how are they able to access this information?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

creepiest thing is the messenger app, allow it access to your location and watch your friends suggestions become way more accurate...

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Apple Maps doesn't have ads except for 100% of results coming from the Yelp API and requiring that app.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

apple maps is garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
more like apple craps

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Apple Maps rerouted me nearly 200 miles through northern Tennessee when I took a wrong exit in West Virginia when trying to get to southeastern Kentucky. By the time I realized something was hosed up, I was way too far out of my original route to correct it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

oh I'm sure they're not tracking you then

I'm sure they're tracking me, I just don't know why they bother or what they get out of it, as they never get to serve me any ads

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

you could try using the website instead of the app it works fine

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

I'm sure they're tracking me, I just don't know why they bother or what they get out of it, as they never get to serve me any ads

unless you also running various doubleclick and google adwords filters they got everything online that uses their platforms for ads so lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the other apps are just convenient self selecting funnels for the broader pattern detecting metrics

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Soricidus posted:

they sell or federate the profile to other ad networks and marketing things, they use it to drive ads they'll show you through their other ad platforms if those id you by another method like ISP-injected cookies or device fingerprinting

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i love the ongoing conspiracy theories that apple refused to make a faustian bargain with google for its map data in their tremendous integrity and desire to not gather user data (at least user data they wouldn't control)

instead of it being a capricious choice tim made in his staggering incompetence which led to users dying and him publicly scapegoating scott forstall instead of taking responsibility

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i use apple mapss all the time and it always gets me where i want quickly and efficiently.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Endless Mike posted:

i use apple mapss all the time and it always gets me where i want quickly and efficiently.

same but the opposite actually

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

i love the ongoing conspiracy theories that apple refused to make a faustian bargain with google for its map data in their tremendous integrity and desire to not gather user data (at least user data they wouldn't control)

instead of it being a capricious choice tim made in his staggering incompetence which led to users dying and him publicly scapegoating scott forstall instead of taking responsibility

remember when apple nobly stood their ground against the tyrannical federal government by refusing to comply with a lawful order in the name of privacy, and not simply because they didn't want to be compelled to do software development for free?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

remember when apple nobly stood their ground against the tyrannical federal government by refusing to comply with a lawful order in the name of privacy, and not simply because they didn't want to be compelled to do software development for free?

yep and then they went and did it anyway through a third party to save face

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well they couldn't just comply after timb made a massive pr stunt out of it, now could they?

and of course no one covered the fact that they spread icloud on command for LEO

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

even putting a building number and street name into apple maps drops the pin half a mile from the actual location of the building. internet maps from the 90s managed this part.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

shut up Eddy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ive never had a problem with apple maps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

ive never had a problem with apple maps

have you tried using them

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

have you tried using them

yes and it was awful

if opened from safari apple maps will happily plop down a pin wherever

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i told my g/f about this thread and she said the first and last time she tried apple maps it took her to the house she was looking for but did so along a service road that ran through the center of the subdivision so that she was directed to a fence at the far end of the back yard of the property that had no access to the property in question

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

seems like it was doing her a favor to not live in some lovely subdivision

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
did stebe die from funneling cold pressed guava juice up he own boohole or was that the other guy?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you're no buff gay dude

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Apple only has $250 billion in liquid assets, you can't expect them to devote their scarce resources towards getting minor neighborhood map details correct for e.g. hoi polloi like the worlds richest private citizen.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
apple maps works great for me. you fuckers are using it wrong. try it on a apple iphone 7+ and youll appreciate it. also carplay is good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dislike button posted:

apple maps works great for me. you fuckers are using it wrong. try it on a apple iphone 7+ and youll appreciate it. also carplay is good

yeah getting driving directions or going abroad aren't supported use cases, if you don't do those then it works great!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
works great in the Cupertino / mountain view area
Verify | Cannot Reproduce

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

amusingly last i tried both google maps and apple maps had trouble with the rental car facility at SFO

you know, where people flying in for an on site will be

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

you're no buff gay dude

Steve jobs died of treatable cancer because he was high on capitalism and rotten durian fermenting in his butt hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i exclusively use apple maps around christchurch new zealand and it's always fine

• Locked thread