Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Randaconda posted:

A lot of those dumb infomercial products were originally invented for people with mobility problems.

Not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Wasabi the J posted:

Speaking of stupid infomercials, I feel like the computer screen trick shot on this one is so exploitable.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w57k/bell-howell-tac-glasses-no-ordinary-sunglasses

No, ordinary sunglasses!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did you ever want to look like a total douche?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Karate Bastard posted:

Did you ever want to look like a total douche?

Yes. I am a fat middle aged lady, I would like to wear and thereby ruin all the things dude bros love.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress yeah you're my hero.

e: gently caress I'm now having a hell of a time picturing all the stuff that you could wear the poo poo out of to cause their total and utter ruination. You wear that poo poo girl. All that dude bro stuff. Beer, dumbbells...

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Aug 16, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

gently caress yeah you're my hero.

e: gently caress I'm now having a hell of a time picturing all the stuff that you could wear the poo poo out of to cause their total and utter ruination. You wear that poo poo girl. All that dude bro stuff. Beer, dumbbells...

But, I am sorry, we need at least an Imgur album for full mockage.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Not a lifehack, but a terrible DIY where you can buy 90% of the items for cheap and they also won't leak or catch fire.

https://youtu.be/eUpyGdC81_o

Window Kisser
Feb 4, 2016
Eat your own poop

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Bremma posted:

Not a lifehack, but a terrible DIY where you can buy 90% of the items for cheap and they also won't leak or catch fire.

https://youtu.be/eUpyGdC81_o

Why would you build your own pump and power switch. Jesus Christ.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Because you're a maker! It's important to make everything from scratch!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

A lot of those dumb infomercial products were originally invented for people with mobility problems.

Yeah but mostly olds. It's amazing to go to Amazon and look at reviews for stuff like the Baseboard Buddy, and everyone (ostensibly) young is like "this is dumb it's a sponge on a stick" and then old people posting "I'm 83 and I can't get down there to clean stuff, this helps :( "

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

Yeah but mostly olds. It's amazing to go to Amazon and look at reviews for stuff like the Baseboard Buddy, and everyone (ostensibly) young is like "this is dumb it's a sponge on a stick" and then old people posting "I'm 83 and I can't get down there to clean stuff, this helps :( "

I wonder why people don't complain about completely analogous stuff? I mean you don't really see "this is dumb it's a brush on a stick" when someone is trying to sell you a broom.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also a lot of that stuff might be dumb but it's like the cost of a bowl of soup at Panera Bread so who cares if old people can do something with a not particularly robust stick-sponge. kind of a low hanging fruit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized "sponge on a stick" is one of the most successful (cleaning) products in the past 67 years here:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's also what the Romans used to clean their butts.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Jerry Cotton posted:

"sponge on a stick"

philistine

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just realized "sponge on a stick" is one of the most successful (cleaning) products in the past 67 years here:

It's a really popular product for all sorts of uses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Haifisch posted:

It's a really popular product for all sorts of uses.

That's a sponge on a handle though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a sponge on a handle though.

Handles are just applied stick technogy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheDIYcrafts/status/904741907623903232

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There's a lot to be mad about in that video, but I think the frozen pizza one offends me the most. Frozen pizza only takes 10 minutes in an oven anyway! And it didn't give a setting to use.

Also I've never in my life met someone with a garment steamer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know if I would trust an iron to give me an evenly cooked steak of safe internal temperature.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Humerus posted:

There's a lot to be mad about in that video, but I think the frozen pizza one offends me the most. Frozen pizza only takes 10 minutes in an oven anyway! And it didn't give a setting to use.

But hotel rooms have them! Traveler hacks! :eng101:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

"No, not that one! That's my salmon coffee maker!"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Len posted:

I don't know if I would trust an iron to give me an evenly cooked steak of safe internal temperature.

Generally, with decent beef, you don't have to worry so much about the internal temperature as you do making the surface safe. It's just like how you can cook pork pink, since they got a handle on trichinosis.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

"No, not that one! That's my salmon coffee maker!"

Mmmmmm. Salmon arabica!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Samizdata posted:

Generally, with decent beef, you don't have to worry so much about the internal temperature as you do making the surface safe. It's just like how you can cook pork pink, since they got a handle on trichinosis.

THEY say. :tinfoil:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Humerus posted:

Garment steamers are great. Way easier than ironing suit jackets or pants.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

:rolleye:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Samizdata posted:

That is just what the parasites eating your noggin want you to think.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Lord help me, those did look like good hard boiled eggs.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Applesnots posted:

That is just what the parasites eating your noggin want you to think.

:rolleyes::tinfoil:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Humerus posted:

Also who the gently caress has a pan big enough for a frozen pizza?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

rydiafan posted:

Lord help me, those did look like good hard boiled eggs.

For some reason the video won't load for me past about 40 seconds, so I don't know what they did with the eggs, but actual lifehack: steaming or pressure cooking your eggs to hard/soft-boil them makes them insanely easy to peel.

muscles like this! posted:

Also who the gently caress has a pan big enough for a frozen pizza?

:confused:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I got https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/egg-cooker-25500 when it came up on slickdeals a while ago, and holy crap does it do a good job. I don't like dedicated gadgets, but this is on the level of rice cooker as far as ease/quickness/dumbass-proof-cooking goes

e: since the site doesn't have much of a description, it's basically a mini hotplate with a sensor/timer that steams however many eggs to soft, medium, or hard boiled

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Sep 5, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I got https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/egg-cooker-25500 when it came up on slickdeals a while ago, and holy crap does it do a good job. I don't like dedicated gadgets, but this is on the level of rice cooker as far as ease/quickness/dumbass-proof-cooking goes

e: since the site doesn't have much of a description, it's basically a mini hotplate with a sensor/timer that steams however many eggs to soft, medium, or hard boiled

I am wondering how the texture compares to boiled eggs, as I have been told (and been too lazy to check out) baked eggs are superior to boiled.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Samizdata posted:

I am wondering how the texture compares to boiled eggs, as I have been told (and been too lazy to check out) baked eggs are superior to boiled.

Steamed eggs are great. Try them for yourself: Put a half dozen large eggs in a medium frying pan, add 1/3 c. water, and slap on a tight cover. Cook over high heat for 3 minutes, low heat for another 3, then turn off the heat entirely and let the pan sit, still covered, for 9 more minutes before they're ready to eat. You may want to run the eggs under cold water/give them an ice bath to stop the cooking process, but I find it's less necessary than when boiling them in a full pot of water. :eng101:

The problem I've seen with baked eggs in their shells is that the shells can brown, which is a little disconcerting. I expect if the white is thinner on the browned side, that part may be overcooked.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Steamed eggs are great. Try them for yourself: Put a half dozen large eggs in a medium frying pan, add 1/3 c. water, and slap on a tight cover. Cook over high heat for 3 minutes, low heat for another 3, then turn off the heat entirely and let the pan sit, still covered, for 9 more minutes before they're ready to eat. You may want to run the eggs under cold water/give them an ice bath to stop the cooking process, but I find it's less necessary than when boiling them in a full pot of water. :eng101:

The problem I've seen with baked eggs in their shells is that the shells can brown, which is a little disconcerting. I expect if the white is thinner on the browned side, that part may be overcooked.

Next time I have eggs on hand, I will do so!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Humerus posted:

That seems like a perfectly sensible way to heat up a pizza if you don't have access to an oven or grill, though. It's just lifehacky because it's just using a pan lid for its intended purpose.

Also, "setting"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

The problem I've seen with baked eggs in their shells is that the shells can brown, which is a little disconcerting.
That's why I turn them part way through.