Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Dirty, bearded men in a thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'm just shocked we made it through the whole 18 hours without any songs from one of lynch's albums

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

I just wanted more Jumping man. I love him.

He's wonderful

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_and_Judy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I'm just shocked we made it through the whole 18 hours without any songs from one of lynch's albums
Well Julee Cruise's The World Spins was partly written by Lynch, and when I saw that in the credits, I thought "Oh yeah, of course!"

And Lynch's son performed in one of the Roadhouse bands.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Tim Burns Effect posted:

maybe not directly from his albums but he was definitely composing some of the music, compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caWXt9lCVrc

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Your Parents posted:

Many of them are songs Lynch wrote, or songs Lynch requested the artists write for the series, including Eddie Vedder's. The lyrics of every song are thematically relevant to the show. Listen.

I'm not really interested in listening to a song by an artist whose composition and performance I don't like. That's kind of the issue, isn't it? Musical performances by bands you like, on a stage, is maybe not the ideal way to convey thoughts and themes for the simple reason that people are not going to pay attention to music too much if they don't like the sound.

It doesn't really matter if the songs are 'thematically relevant' to the show. I am sure that, to David Lynch, there is a point to most of the scenes in the show, musical or otherwise. It may be thematic, it may be to convey some plot information, it may just be to be viscerally funny/scary/emotional. But that doesn't mean they succeed at it. It doesn't mean that they add more, by virtue of their existence, than they subtract by virtue of taking up runtime, affecting pacing and momentum, etc. It doesn't mean that the way something was done was maybe the best way to do it, or that it works for everyone.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 4, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

quote:

Despite Punch’s unapologetic murder throughout the performances, it is still a comedy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does that dead dude have an orb sticking out of his chest or is the shirt placement just weird as heck

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

David Lynch: Creator, showrunner, actor & audience surrogate all in 1

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The scenes with Ben Horne aren't useless. They set up Cooper getting the ring back. Note that the lamp in the corner and the light it's making looks like the design on the ring. And Horne was trying to find the source of the ringing noise. Ring and ringing.

There were a bunch of Ben Horne scenes, most of which had nothing to do with a ring. There were multiple scenes between him and an assistant, played by Ashley Judd, and a scene involving Ashley Judd and her husband. Clearly that stuff wasn't there just as a plot device.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That huge post Little Mac made was a really good summation and hypothesis of the events. Even then, this story feels purposefully incomplete. It isn't seeming much like a 'Mullholland Dr' situation where you can figure out exactly what happened by watching again because all the pieces are scattered throughout the movie.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

David Lynch: Creator, showrunner, actor & audience surrogate all in 1
I loved that blue tinted scene.

I really wish I loved this show as much as I thought I was going to after those 4 episodes that first night.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That huge post Little Mac made was a really good summation and hypothesis of the events. Even then, this story feels purposefully incomplete. Like it isn't much of a 'Mullholland Dr' situation where you can figure out exactly what happened by watching again because all the pieces are scattered throughout the movie
I honestly think Mulholland Dr is the only time Lynch has successfully pulled off the absolute mindfuck that can be reasonably sorted out by a rewatch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I'm not really interested in listening to a song by an artist whose composition and performance I don't like. That's kind of the issue, isn't it?

It doesn't really matter if the songs are 'thematically relevant' to the show.

I am sure that, to David Lynch, there is a point to most of the scenes. It may be thematic, it may be to convey some plot information, it may just be to be viscerally funny/scary/emotional. But that doesn't mean they succeed at it. It doesn't mean that they add more, by virtue of their existence, than they subtract by virtue of taking up runtime, affecting pacing and momentum, etc. It doesn't mean that the way something was done was maybe the best way to do it, or that it works for everyone.
Here's your problem: you're expecting David Lynch to be a conventional storyteller.

I don't think Twin Peaks is for you.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just gonna say: New Truman is boring and lame. Long live Harry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Me everytime I place an UberEats order:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Funny how Andy and Dick thought that orphan in season 2 was some evil murdering kid, when this season actually got a real psycho kid (Richard).

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I'm not really interested in listening to a song by an artist whose composition and performance I don't like. That's kind of the issue, isn't it? Musical performances by bands you like, on a stage, is maybe not the ideal way to convey thoughts and themes for the simple reason that people are not going to pay attention to music too much if they don't like the sound.

It doesn't really matter if the songs are 'thematically relevant' to the show. I am sure that, to David Lynch, there is a point to most of the scenes in the show, musical or otherwise. It may be thematic, it may be to convey some plot information, it may just be to be viscerally funny/scary/emotional. But that doesn't mean they succeed at it. It doesn't mean that they add more, by virtue of their existence, than they subtract by virtue of taking up runtime, affecting pacing and momentum, etc. It doesn't mean that the way something was done was maybe the best way to do it, or that it works for everyone.

Then why are you even saying anything at all?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I just watched the finale and god damnit David lynch why did I expect anything different. I'm just gonna pretend the season was only 17 episodes long

Edit: also lol that the Audrey scenes amounted to literally nothing

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 4, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The woodsmen removed the Bob orb from the evil Cooper when he was shot midway through the season. But when he was shot again in the finale, they took Bob out again. I thought he'd been Bobless for the last part of the season but apparently I was wrong.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Cromulent posted:

I really wish I loved this show as much as I thought I was going to after those 4 episodes that first night.
I honestly think Mulholland Dr is the only time Lynch has successfully pulled off the absolute mindfuck that can be reasonably sorted out by a rewatch.
'Lost Highway' can certainly be fully deciphered, too. I saw 'Inland Empire' not too long ago and uh, that one not so much without huge blind leaps of logic

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

More proof that the musical performances had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the show!

From Chromatics' Shadow:

quote:

At night I'm driving in your car
Pretending that we'll leave this town
We're watching all the street lights fade
And now you're just a stranger's dream
I took your picture from the frame
And now you're nothing like you seem
Your shadow fell like last night's rain

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Here's your problem: you're expecting David Lynch to be a conventional storyteller.

I don't think Twin Peaks is for you.

You seem to think labeling something unconventional is a pass on evaluating it critically. That doesn't get us anywhere either.

'Conventional storytelling' uses some techniques in order to convey meaning and feelings. But so does 'unconventional' storytelling. Lynch has his techniques, his tricks, and sometimes they work really well, and sometimes they don't work as well.

He's not some magician, he's not some insane guy making things that have nothing to do with anything anyone's ever made, he's not that unconventional and he's not that much of a break from traditional filmmaking, it is perfectly fine to judge him much like you would judge other works by other people.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Escobarbarian posted:

Does that dead dude have an orb sticking out of his chest or is the shirt placement just weird as heck

Is three days enough time for the belly to bloat like that?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Your Parents posted:

Many of them are songs Lynch wrote, or songs Lynch requested the artists write for the series, including Eddie Vedder's. The lyrics of every song are thematically relevant to the show. Listen.

This isn't really accurate. Lynch did co-write 1 of the songs almost 2 decades ago and it didn't have anything to do with Twin Peaks, obviously. Eddie Vedder and Trouble wrote their stuff for the show. But all the other songs are just songs that came out on albums that Lynch happened to like, and he put them in the show.

Now the lyrics being thematically relevant, yeah, I agree with that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

People acting like episode 17 is the finale and 18 doesn't exist or is extraneous is crazy to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pedro De Heredia posted:

You seem to think labeling something unconventional is a pass on evaluating it critically. That doesn't get us anywhere either.

'Conventional storytelling' uses some techniques in order to convey meaning and feelings. But so does 'unconventional' storytelling. Lynch has his techniques, his tricks, and sometimes they work really well, and sometimes they don't work as well.

He's not some magician, he's not some insane guy making things that have nothing to do with anything anyone's ever made, he's not that unconventional and he's not that much of a break from traditional filmmaking, it is perfectly fine to judge him much like you would judge other works by other people.
I don't think it's at all fair to say "Lynch did these things that didn't work for me" and then compare his methods to those of others like they're the standard that all media should adhere to when Lynch works nothing like that a lot of the time.

It's okay to admit that Lynch's methods aren't for you. They aren't for a lot of people.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I dunno what to think about the ending other than "it ended when Coop and Diane drove through dimensions" because at least then I don't have a memory of Laura Dern's titty.

Speaking of Diane, I was totally right about Tulpas having a distinctly different hairstyle compared to who it is they are based on. When I saw Diane with her red hair I was like "oooo! Called it!"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The only differences between a filmmaker and a magician are where and when the illusion is being performed.

The best magicians are fooling you in plain sight through sleight of hand and misdirection.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?

More proof that the musical performances had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the show!

From Chromatics' Shadow:

"Everyone has a shadow. There is no real difference between ten years ago and ten seconds ago. Your future determines your past. The flame of nostalgia is a tempting black hole to jump into, but I recognize it as a fantasy." - That's what Johnny Jewel, who did most of the music for The Return, said about the song.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

People acting like episode 17 is the finale and 18 doesn't exist or is extraneous is crazy to me.

it was really bad lol

(the season as a whole was really good)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheRationalRedditor posted:

'Lost Highway' can certainly be fully deciphered, too. I saw 'Inland Empire' not too long ago and uh, that one not so much without huge blind leaps of logic

There's an Inland Empire wiki that goes to absurd lengths to make it all make sense. It's well worth a read, even if I have no idea if I agree with most of it: http://inland-empire.wikia.com/wiki/INLAND_EMPIRE_Wikia

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

From Chromatics' Shadow:

What do you think those lyrics represent?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

*15 minute sequence of unchanging dark road*
you just dont understand!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While I loving love this show I admit I'd love to see some of the bigger apologists try and give excuses for the ridiculous exposition dumps, especially the one from 17 that literally reveals a secret plot between Briggs/Gordo/Coop during season 2 that we never knew about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

People looking for meanings instead of feelings :greenangel:

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Dude..

Feels like you just read lord of the rings and you are complaining that the books could have been a lot longer because most stuff is redundant.

It's about the invoking of a feeling and the journey. If the music didn't invoke anything, that's cool too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Hmm, I dunno, it's not like this show ever had scenes of driving in cars at night, leaving towns, strangers, dreaming, taking pictures out of frames, etc. so it's really hard to answer that!

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Escobarbarian posted:

While I loving love this show I admit I'd love to see some of the bigger apologists try and give excuses for the ridiculous exposition dumps, especially the one from 17 that literally reveals a secret plot between Briggs/Gordo/Coop during season 2 that we never knew about.

This was strange. Didn't think much of it first until I realized that it happened in S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gordon reveals he's been keeping secrets from Albert in 17, but Albert also reveals that he was keeping secrets from Gordon in episode 4.

I don't think they were ever 100% honest with each other despite respecting each other.