Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

activate has really gone fantastically for the tories, just great all round, cracking launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Peel posted:

activate has really gone fantastically for the tories, just great all round, cracking launch

Excuse me but activate raised nearly ten pound within 24 hours of launch. I'd like to see you do better

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

so are chavs like english juggalos or what

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Working class kids with the same reputation that working class kids have had since time immemorial

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

english rednecks if anything

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
mods pls rename me to homo chav

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I honestly thought it was a decade since anyone said "chav", a passé classist insult.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

english rednecks if anything
English rednecks are local farm labourers same as everywhere else's rednecks.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Since rednecks were originally coal mining mountain folk with a strong tradition of labour organising, our rednecks would probably be the welsh.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

jBrereton posted:

I honestly thought it was a decade since anyone said "chav", a passé classist insult.

English rednecks are local farm labourers same as everywhere else's rednecks.

I guess "Young Tory" evens out to about a decade out of date

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

TomViolence posted:

Since rednecks were originally coal mining mountain folk with a strong tradition of labour organising, our rednecks would probably be the welsh.

It's a fair cop

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

TomViolence posted:

rednecks originally worked outside, not underground lol

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

pretty mean comparing rednecks to the welsh, rednecks aren't that bad

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

It's pretty funny how young tory organisations always turn out to be full of utter monsters. For instance, there was previously the Federation of Conservative Students which was disbanded by Norman Tebbit for being too right wing.

Reminder that Norman Tebbit is this guy:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

youth politics tends towards hyperbole

so when the politics is domesticated race/gender/class domination rather than 'try to be nice and help people' it doesn't go well

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
how is tebbit not loving dead yet

doesnt even look like the real tebbit, big maggie's enforcer biker lad

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Tebbit is definitely getting young people's blood injected into his veins.

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/904106517682679812

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ive only ever had good experiences w the welsh

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

when i was oh god i was p young and visiting britain for the first time i was out w a lady and a welsh kid, even younger than i was at the time, stopped us in the street to ask if i had a cigarette. i didnt and i apologised but he apparently just needed an ear to listen to him so he told us like his whole life story and how he had just gotten out of jail and all sorts of poo poo like that, until my lady friend started kinda shivering (it was real cold), then he super politely excused himself and wished us a good night

i think about that kid a lot, wonder how his life went

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I once met a Young Tory who was joking (?) about starting Aktion T4 in the UK

I still know a couple of people who were in that scene (they grew up & left though) - if a kid isn't an idiot Thatcher-worshiping US free-market libertarian then they're guaranteed to be sincerely or ironically calling for Holocausts. Sometimes they're both.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Vic_ToryUK/status/904031804570701825

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dont worry got yall covered

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

at first I thought it was an ad for a new series of The Thick of It with Nicola Murray

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

those dudes look like they were hastily sculpted out of hog secretions

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Squizzle posted:

nah, they dont really look sculpted at all

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Barbe Rouge posted:

at first I thought it was an ad for a new series of The Thick of It with Nicola Murray

I honestly can't tell if this is parody or not. There's another one I saw recently called CONviction.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/this-former-postman-says-hes-on-a-five-year-career-break-as?utm_term=.pfNeewVpnk#.uwVdd5AnQV

quote:

A new Labour MP who worked for 25 years as a postman has said he's surprised at how little life experience his fellow politicians have.

Hugh Gaffney, elected as the MP for Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill in this summer's snap election, told BuzzFeed News many MPs don't understand the real world, that he would close parliament if he could, and that he sees his time in the Commons as a "five-year career break".

Gaffney famously arrived for his first day in Westminster in his Parcel Force uniform to, he says, send a signal that he was going to represent working people like him.

"I’d been a postman for 26 years and I’ve been in the trade union for 26 years," Gaffney told BuzzFeed News. "I started in the Post Office in 1990 and I got involved in the union around the same time because ... I scraped a van and it could have cost me my job, but the union saved my job.

"I got the bug for politics through the trade union and I’ve never stopped since then; it’s always been workers first for me because I think taxpayers are the people who pay for this country, and they never get anything back."

Gaffney made headlines during his first week in the job as an MP when, in a tribute to the founder of Labour and fellow Scot Keir Hardie, he turned up in his postal uniform after having spent the morning with his workmates.

"Keir Hardie did it, went to parliament with his working clothes on, and I felt, you know what, I’m going to parliament but I’m still a working man," said Gaffney.

"I spent an hour with my workmates before my flight. They asked ‘Where are you going now?’ and I said I was heading to parliament for a five-year career break.

"I was delighted to leave my workplace, get on the plane, go to the parliament, and as I walked to the doors of parliament the security said ‘Are you in the right place?’, and I said 'Yeah, I’m here for justice for workers'."

The MP believes his experience of working for decades both in the postal service and in trade unions has allowed him to go to parliament without feeling intimidated, and his experience of the real world has helped in his new role.

"It’s not daunting. I call it [parliament] Butlin’s because everyone’s happy down there, and it’s a bubble," said Gaffney. "They really don’t know the real world; [I say that] as a working man with three kids, going to work with a pound in your pocket wondering who’s going to feed the children at night-time.

"They don’t realise the reality of the cost of living. Not all of them, of course there are more working class MPs, but overall I think it’s a bubble down there. I would close it tomorrow ... we could save the taxpayers a fortune, but that's just me."

Gaffney said he will use whatever time he has in parliament to represent the interests of working people like him, and particularly to help close the gap between the richest and poorest in society across the UK.

"I want workers to have proper rights and proper conditions," said the MP. "I want people to be treated with dignity and respect and I want to close the gap between the rich and the poor. The gap between the rich and the poor has to change. We need a proper living wage, and we want to eradicate poverty."

Gaffney said he still misses his old job and his old workmates, but that his new job has given him a fresh opportunity to use his experiences in the mail service to try to help people and give them a working class voice in the Commons.

"I loved being a postman and a parcel delivery man," he said.

"I miss the staff, I miss my workmates, and I loved working with the public. But this job gives me more opportunity to make real life changes and to represent workers and represent society. I’ve been given the skills and the training over the past 20 years, and now I can take it to parliament to help the workers."

Asked if he would go back to his old job if he wasn't re-elected at the next election, Gaffney replied: "That’s the plan, like I said – I’m on a five-year career break. In five years time if I'm not an MP, I’ll go back to being a postman."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41143869

quote:

McDonald's faces first UK industrial action

McDonald's workers are staging their first UK strike after walking out at two stores in a dispute over zero-hours contracts and conditions.

Workers at Cambridge and Crayford, south-east London, began the 24-hour action at midnight. A union called it a "brave" move by low-paid staff.

The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union said staff want a wage of at least £10 an hour and more secure jobs.

McDonald's said the action related to internal grievance procedures, not pay.

Ian Hodson, the union's president, said: "We fully support the historic decision by these brave workers to stand up and fight back against McDonald's - a company that has let them down one too many times.

"For far too long, workers in fast food restaurants such as McDonald's have had to deal with poor working conditions, drastic cuts to employee hours, and even bullying in the workplace - viewed by many as a punishment for joining a union."

Slogan idea:

YOU WANT DRIVE THRU; WE HAVE NEEDS TOO!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

jBrereton posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41143869

Slogan idea:

YOU WANT DRIVE THRU; WE HAVE NEEDS TOO!

You want a big mac- we say gently caress that

Good on them, when I worked at maccas as a 16 year old part of the induction was "while you have every right to unionise.. UNIONS ARE BAD THIS IS NOT A UNION SHOP HERE IS WHY UNIONS ARE BAD"

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

You want a big mac- we say gently caress that

Good on them, when I worked at maccas as a 16 year old part of the induction was "while you have every right to unionise.. UNIONS ARE BAD THIS IS NOT A UNION SHOP HERE IS WHY UNIONS ARE BAD"

Never worked at Maccies. They actually say that? loving hell.

My Compass Group job just never mentioned it and it was zero-hours anyway so they could just not pick you up again if they wanted.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Stabbatical posted:

Never worked at Maccies. They actually say that? loving hell.

My Compass Group job just never mentioned it and it was zero-hours anyway so they could just not pick you up again if they wanted.

Yeah it was pretty noticeable even at 16 and not particularly aware, during training a bunch of poo poo about how mcdonalds actually looks after you far better than a union that would get in the way of things and take your money. Only lasted there a few weeks, I have worked some shite jobs but it was terrible.

Making my own half pounder burger with mac sauce was alright though.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

aint no one gonna tell you unions are good

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Yeah it was pretty noticeable even at 16 and not particularly aware, during training a bunch of poo poo about how mcdonalds actually looks after you far better than a union that would get in the way of things and take your money. Only lasted there a few weeks, I have worked some shite jobs but it was terrible.

Making my own half pounder burger with mac sauce was alright though.

A mate of mine at uni always went back to the same Maccies job in Milton Keynes every summer. She swore it was really good to work for. I guess there must be gently caress all else to do in Silverstone unless you're a racecar driver.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Squizzle posted:

It wasn't hasty!

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
tories are daycrew af

also im impressed with theresa mays ability to desaturate any picture shes in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Donkwich posted:

tories are daycrew af

also im impressed with theresa mays ability to desaturate any picture shes in

I thought that was just what England looks like

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

I thought that was just what England looks like
tbf it is, a bit.

the grey meat inside a ginster's cornish of a country.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Stabbatical posted:

A mate of mine at uni always went back to the same Maccies job in Milton Keynes every summer. She swore it was really good to work for. I guess there must be gently caress all else to do in Silverstone unless you're a racecar driver.

I think it's down to the management, there were some places that had a lot of staff that stayed there long term, whereas I was in a place where there was constant turnover, meaning most of us were barely trained so it was always a rush- a trained and skilled staff would have done much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Britain is just Sleaford Mods' Tied up in Nottz on repeat forever