Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kemikalkadet posted:

Holy poo poo the execution of these is terrible. Wooden mudguards are dumb because there's no curve at the edge so they just spray water out sideways but i appreciate a lot of people like them for the look.

Why aren't they made with a curve? Surely we have the technology to carve that shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost bros posted:

My friend & I are starting a ghost hunting series on youtube.We have a few evps already. We need funding for equipment and cameras.

Oh sweet, they recorded a ghost queef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhfjyn-LGVY

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

At least they were nice enough to show you how to make your own, so you don't have to spend money on their stupid poo poo?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Martinpale posted:

At least they were nice enough to show you how to make your own, so you don't have to spend money on their stupid poo poo?

I'm pretty sure you could just use a clean sock at that rate. The sort that go on feet. Sounds ridiculous, but the notion is the same. Just pour your water slowly.

In any case, it's not a new idea, people have doing that for ages without spending $32.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I've got a filter from Walmart I can use indefinitely and is compact enough for travel poo poo. It cost me 3 dollars.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

PathAsc posted:

I've got a filter from Walmart I can use indefinitely and is compact enough for travel poo poo. It cost me 3 dollars.

yeah but is it made from sustainable resources? it is easy to use? didn't think that one through did ya

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gently caress, I have to pour water through it, back to the drawing board

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
The wooden bags don't seem very practical but they look sort of neat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
When I was a boy was also had these 'wooden bags' but we called them 'boxes', as was the fashion at the time

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just buy freeze dried instant coffee like the animal you are.

Depending on the brand you will actually get quite good coffee of it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

This looks nice, but can it play DOOM?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

As some who uses delicately small purses and big ol message bags, those wooden ones look garbo as gently caress. I need a wallet/money clip, phone, keys, and emergency cosmetics for touching up my face. I bet you can barely fit a standard issue dildo in either of those examples.

Like the only place I can imagine would worth having a tiny wood purse is some dinner party where it all gets chucked into a bedroom until 2 hours later. Can't take that into a club either, that's a weapon right there.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

Laser cutters are great. I've been using a ~$30k cutter at work. It is pretty good!

I can't imagine how bad a $300 cutter would be.

$400 or so gets you a okay Chinese one.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739294

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You know, as hard as it is to believe people were drinking coffee long before coffee filters were invented. Cowboy coffee is legit some of the finest coffee I've ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7Si7cp2jM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Why aren't they made with a curve? Surely we have the technology to carve that shape.

It’s an extra manufacturing step that costs money.

The consumer won’t notice the difference before purchase so performing that step is a losing business proposition.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

You know, as hard as it is to believe people were drinking coffee long before coffee filters were invented. Cowboy coffee is legit some of the finest coffee I've ever had.
Lucky Luke taught me you're supposed to put a horse shoe in the pot and add coffee until the shoe floats.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

PathAsc posted:

I want a sweet wicked laser, but gently caress I can't get one. World is a gently caress.

Content:
These will surely be comfortable and useful what do you mean I'm a pretentious gently caress

Hahaha what are the models wearing?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Subjunctive posted:

Platystemon posted:

It’s an extra manufacturing step that costs money.

The consumer won’t notice the difference before purchase so performing that step is a losing business proposition.

Also they're shipped flat and the purchaser has to bend them to fit their bike, but that also means that they're customizable to fit every bike (which wouldn't be possible if they were curved).

It's not a fault, it's a feature!! :pseudo:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why is small batch good? How does the fact that you only made something 3 at a time benefit me?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Volcott posted:

Why is small batch good? How does the fact that you only made something 3 at a time benefit me?

The implication is that more time and care is taken over each individual one, the quality control is higher and finish ia better. I mean its pretty common and broadly true. But this is kickstarter so its garbage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volcott posted:

Because it's like the company is your good buddy doing you a favor! Not some faceless corporation who can't understand the true spirit of keeping tire spray off your pants.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Want to shake like you've got a spastic disorder disorder? Really committed to your Michael J. Fox cosplay? These guys have got you covered.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bionicgym-proven-cardio-training-breakthrough-sport-fitness/#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuCqAE85Rgk&t=40s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That stuff has been around forever and it didn't work then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, nearly every awful kickstarter is for products that already exist.

The TWIST for this one seem to be the thigh wraps, so you don't need to place the electrodes manually. Because electrode placement was obviously the part that made lazy people throw up their hands and give up. And somehow these wraps will fit your thighs perfectly during every stage of your fitness journey. That's why they cost $400, instead of like $40, lol.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Isn't it also wildly uncomfortable if not outright painful?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basically all you get from it is electrical burns.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dienes posted:

Isn't it also wildly uncomfortable if not outright painful?

Yes. If a licensed physiotherapist uses the professional grade shocker things for rehabilitation or whatever because you literally can't do normal exercises, then it is painful. The normal exercise equipment is significantly more comfortable for patients that can use it.

Consumer grade garbage used by amateurs is still painful, but much less likely to do anything useful. Using it incorrectly can cause burns or even temporary nerve damage. Luckily most people only try it a couple times for a few minutes before throwing it in the back of the closet with the other exercise gimmicks, so they don't get injured. Since the manufacturers know nobody is going to use the product more than a couple times they don't have to worry about build quality.

Basically all the gimmicky As Seen on TV exercise equipment is much worse and provides less benefit than going for a 20 minute walk every day. People who can't follow through on a 20 minute walk every day will never follow through on using the ab blasster 9000 everyday, and so should just save their money.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Confederate Express sent out a message with a PC build of their alpha.

...how likely is it that it'll install some bitcoin miners on my computer versus actually existing :ohdear:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bruce Lee's the reason this poo poo exists, isn't it? IIRC he used an electrolysis machine while he slept, or something equally insane and he had freakishly toned muscles.

...which I'm sure had absolutely nothing to do with him training heavily for hours on end. :v:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Basically all the gimmicky As Seen on TV exercise equipment is much worse and provides less benefit than going for a 20 minute walk every day. People who can't follow through on a 20 minute walk every day will never follow through on using the ab blasster 9000 everyday, and so should just save their money.

There's also exercise 'bikes' and epilepticals that are tiny and made to stick under a desk so you can peddle while you work and those are basically infinitely better than the As Seen On TV trash because you're at least doing some small amount of cycling with them.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Volcott posted:

Because every Kickstarter thinks they're building collectable artisanal heirlooms that can only appreciate in value.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ever since electricity was invented people have been zapping themselves with it hoping it'll basically give them superpowers.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I always assumed that if muscle stimulators could work they would be used on the ISS - still, the astronauts have to use special exercise devices rather than simply attaching electrodes to themselves

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
muscle stimulation is one of those ideas that SOUNDS like it should probably work but clearly if it can we haven't made it happen yet. maybe when we get to brain interfaces.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

canis minor posted:

I always assumed that if muscle stimulators could work they would be used on the ISS - still, the astronauts have to use special exercise devices rather than simply attaching electrodes to themselves

Isn't a bunch of that exercise aimed at preserving skeletal strength?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I did a search on kickstarter for bone density retaining/building machines and saw nothing, smh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Manky posted:

I did a search on kickstarter for bone density retaining/building machines and saw nothing, smh
brb, making Bone Hurting Juice kickstarter to link in this thread

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Manky posted:

Hand turned artisanal barbell.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Light Gun Man posted:

muscle stimulation is one of those ideas that SOUNDS like it should probably work but clearly if it can we haven't made it happen yet. maybe when we get to brain interfaces.

It works, it's just horribly uncomfortable all the way to painful depending on how you do it and takes way way long to work to be something you could just slap on for an hour a day and expect results.

It's kinda like how yeah you don't really need to eat or drink anything the normal way, we can totally just hook you up to proper IV lines and catheterize you so you never have to move again. But that's pretty drat uncomfortable and the necessary replacements of each from time to time are painful too. That's why its something we stick with for people with major surgery or whatever.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

fishmech posted:

It works, it's just horribly uncomfortable all the way to painful depending on how you do it and takes way way long to work to be something you could just slap on for an hour a day and expect results.

It's kinda like how yeah you don't really need to eat or drink anything the normal way, we can totally just hook you up to proper IV lines and catheterize you so you never have to move again. But that's pretty drat uncomfortable and the necessary replacements of each from time to time are painful too. That's why its something we stick with for people with major surgery or whatever.
Or chug some wheat gloop like some sort of dystopian post-apocolypse.

The success of soylent will never not baffle me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neito posted:

Or chug some wheat gloop like some sort of dystopian post-apocolypse.

The success of soylent will never not baffle me.

Soylent is just a worse version of all the meal replacement drinks that have been on store shelves for ages is the thing, and it's really not that big.

One of the funniest things is that a lot of goons have been like "maybe I should start drinking Soylent" or "I've been drinking Soylent for a while", and then when someone points out that Ensure exists, they're like "oh thanks I didn't know that existed, I'll just buy that". It makes you wonder how many other Soylent-triers or users are in the same situation, they'd never even checked if there was something in every CVS and Walgreens to go get instead.