Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Not nork related but i laughed at this
https://twitter.com/CobraBall3/status/904134341038661636

In nork related , i still dont see what they would gain with nuclear attack. Isnt it deterrence theyre seeking? Better get solid snake on the Job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh my god I have to have one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:same:

Those dudes have the best morale patches:
"RC-135: We Hate Each Other, But We Hate You More"
"Russian Border Patrol"

Waroduce posted:

Realistically under this Administration where do you think you'd learn it first? Like offical we launched poo poo?

Twitter I'd imagine

Honestly, it's probably been Twitter since the internet plane spotter community got established there. I fully expect my first warning of nuclear war to be some foamer sitting off the end of the runway at Whiteman talking about how excited he is to see 19 B-2 bombers take off at once and complaining about the klaxon noise.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That S Korea headline is some pretty serious poo poo, we've been trying hard for decades to keep the S Koreans from getting big booms. There are various reasons why this is the case, but probably none of them can be comprehended by a person who does not understand the concept of the nuclear triad.

EDIT: Maybe we could find someone qualified to explain it to the current administration? Maybe, like, the director of the Air Force School of Advanced Nuclear Deterrence Studies? Oh wait he just got arrested for child sexual abuse

The gross thing for me is that I've actually cited papers by this dude before

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 4, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If Nikki Hale's speech gets UN backing for military action it's pretty much game over.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The name Nikki Haley somehow rings a bell of clinical stupidity and incompetence, but a cursory look at her wikipedia page leads me to believe I'm confusing her with another female elected official from the South?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Betsy Devos?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The name Nikki Haley somehow rings a bell of clinical stupidity and incompetence, but a cursory look at her wikipedia page leads me to believe I'm confusing her with another female elected official from the South?

She was governor of South Carolina before Trump sent her to the UN

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Pesticide20 posted:

She was governor of South Carolina before Trump sent her to the UN

And during her time as governor she was clinically stupid and incompetent. Seems nothing has changed since becoming ambassador to the UN.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I wonder what would happen if Mattis wasn't in the administration.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

cowboy elvis posted:

I wonder what would happen if Mattis wasn't in the administration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VG2aJyIFrA

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Looks like ISIS is in its death throes

https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/904778251394048000

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://splinternews.com/after-assa...gn=beingliberal

So, Salt Lake Tribune got the body cam footage and audio from the officers arresting the nurse, in which they discuss whether the charges will stick (they won't) and how one of the officers, who doubles as a paramedic, will only bring transients to that particular hospital now to punish them.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/09/...k&ICID=ref_fark

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That PD is going to be loving miserable for the next year+.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vengarr posted:

That PD is going to be loving miserable for the next year+.

Especially how its out now that the guy they were trying to draw blood from, was also a volunteer police officer, who was the victim of the accident by their perp.

Yeah, they crossed another PD, something is going to stick.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Even worse, a PD from another state thereby dragging the Idaho governor and AG into the shitrain.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I dont get what the endgame was with that, because even if the victim had had something in his system, the evidence would be inadmissible because of no consent.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

I dont get what the endgame was with that, because even if the victim had had something in his system, the evidence would be inadmissible because of no consent.

slander in the news

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Is any consent needed beyond the implied consent of having a UT driver's license?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

Is any consent needed beyond the implied consent of having a UT driver's license?

The dude was from Idaho

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

The dude was from Idaho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

Implied consent applies to breath only. You cannot do an implied consent blood draw.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hurricane Irma does not look pleasant and Florida is now inside the cone of uncertainty for this coming weekend. Irma is currently a Cat 4.

https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/904807616794288132

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/904805934509297665

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Terrible Robot posted:

The dude was from Idaho

Good point. Probably not a UT license then, but it turns out operating a motor vehicle in the state is enough.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Implied consent applies to breath only. You cannot do an implied consent blood draw.

Well...

quote:

A person operating a motor vehicle in this state is considered to have given the person's consent to a chemical test or tests of the person's breath, blood, urine, or oral fluids for the purpose of determining whether the person was operating or in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while:
(i) having a blood or breath alcohol content statutorily prohibited under Section 41-6a-502, 41-6a-530, or 53-3-231;
(ii) under the influence of alcohol, any drug, or combination of alcohol and any drug under Section 41-6a-502; or
(iii) having any measurable controlled substance or metabolite of a controlled substance in the person's body in violation of Section 41-6a-517.

Unless the draw itself is considered separate from the test?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes you can... The recent supreme court case only said you can't compel a implied consent blood draw with a criminal penalty associated with the refusal. If it's a civil penalty or a non-criminal penalty (like a fine or dmv auto suspending your license), it's still fine to take blood.

There were a lot of headlines about that case which made it sound like DUI blood draws were out without a search warrant, but it's not the case. And it really only affected states with criminal penalties for refusal.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Good point. Probably not a UT license then, but it turns out operating a motor vehicle in the state is enough.

Well...

Unless the draw itself is considered separate from the test?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...e82e5&tid=a_inl

quote:

The Supreme Court on Thursday said that police must obtain a warrant before requiring a suspected drunk driver to submit to a blood alcohol test.

In a divided opinion, the court made a distinction between blood tests, which require the piercing of the skin, and breath tests, which it found are not particularly painful, intrusive or embarrassing.

The case arose after several states cracked down on drunk drivers by imposing criminal penalties, in addition to revoking licenses, for those who refuse to undergo testing when stopped by police. The question for the court was whether officers must obtain warrants to perform such tests.

In its opinion, the court tried to find a middle ground in balancing the government’s interest in promoting public safety on roads with individual privacy rights.

“The impact of breath tests on privacy is light, and the need for BAC [blood alcohol content] testing is great,” Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote for the court’s majority. He was joined by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Anthony M. Kennedy, Elena Kagan and Stephen G. Breyer.

In contrast, blood tests are “significantly more intrusive” and do not justify violating Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches. The breath tests, Alito added, are “no more demanding than blowing up a party balloon.”

The court’s decision means that suspected drunk drivers can be arrested for refusing to submit to breath tests, but not for refusing a blood test.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
But they can still yank your license for refusing a blood test, if I understand correctly.

orange juche posted:

A few things I'd guess:
If they were doing the draw even though they knew it would be inadmissible for a prosecution, they were hoping to get it in through parallel construction, or they were going to use it to deflect liability if the injured driver tried to sue the department.

My other guess was that they were used to getting the blood through pressure or just asking, and their supervisor expected them to come back with a completed draw, so when the nurse actually decided to follow the letter of the law, the cops decided to handcuff the messenger rather than disappoint their boss.
I've been in that position where people were furious with me for refusing to honor handshake agreements or loose "interpretations" of regulation.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 4, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If memory serves, a breath test is not admissible in court proceedings. In that case, wouldn't it be best to just refuse the blood test?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There was no loose interpretation. They were citing an outdated law. The nurse was 100% correct about what happened. They had no legal right to the blood draw under any law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

If memory serves, a breath test is not admissible in court proceedings. In that case, wouldn't it be best to just refuse the blood test?

Never voluntarily give evidence to police.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

Never volunt(eer)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also Rick Scott just declared state of emergency in prep for Irma. If you haven't kept track, it's trending to hit florida hard as gently caress in the next week. It potentially is going to come up to the coast and just sail north for a bit intensifying before making landfall in south carolina. Irma is currently cat 4, has an extremely low pressure eye, and is only getting stronger.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Barry should write Trump another letter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQhG_uVu6U&t=77s

"Please listen, as if you were sober and intelligent, and not a piss-sodden sex(with your daughter) addled, wreck"

gently caress Marc Antony even has Donnie's exact smug face :agesilaus:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I literally just learned about this and was going to post it. Question answered!

Payne needs to not wear a badge anymore.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I sleep well at night knowing that Threads and The Day After didn't even show how much worse it will actually be.

I'm getting vaporized in the first salvo. :unsmith:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also Rick Scott just declared state of emergency in prep for Irma. If you haven't kept track, it's trending to hit florida hard as gently caress in the next week. It potentially is going to come up to the coast and just sail north for a bit intensifying before making landfall in south carolina. Irma is currently cat 4, has an extremely low pressure eye, and is only getting stronger.

Hey Florida will be just fine. Governor Skeletor hasn't spent years defunding everything in sight, denying climate change to the point where officials are not allowed to even use the words and refusing to put programs and regulations in place to mitigate the complete cluster gently caress something like this could beco-

*puts finger to ear piece*

Oh...oh...uh, y'all are screwed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I sleep well at night knowing that Threads and The Day After didn't even show how much worse it will actually be.

I'm getting vaporized in the first salvo. :unsmith:

I'm not. I'm in a city with so little industrial production it's not worth spending a missile on, but is close enough to both Vancouver and Seattle to at least eat some mild overpressure and fallout.

Y'all are going to be drinking fifths of Jack with Lucifer and I'm going to be stuck here in post-nuclear societal collapse.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

In a true 1980s full exchange everything got nuked. everything

poo poo, in the 1998 SIOP a single target in Moscow had sixty loving eight nuclear weapons of various types targeted on it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Smiling Jack posted:

In a true 1980s full exchange everything got nuked. everything

poo poo, in the 1998 SIOP a single target in Moscow had sixty loving eight nuclear weapons of various types targeted on it.

I thought the point of SIOP was to prevent that sort of over targeting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Flikken posted:

I thought the point of SIOP was to prevent that sort of over targeting?

yeah 68 warheads wasnt considered overkill

• Locked thread