Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It's like if Demi-Chan spent an episode reflecting on when the Vice Principal burned down a village back in 'Nam.

Ed: As a Jew I like Shoahbiscut a little better but they're both solid puns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rangpur posted:

It's the flashback of a character who never shows up again--there are no stakes or personal connection to any of the main cast. A show that dedicates an episode to go 'and on an unrelated note let's ponder what the Holocaust would look like if we replaced the Jews and Nazis with horse- and cat-people' is probably not traveling the road to financial success, is what I'm getting at. I admire the stubbornness that takes.

Maybe I missed something, but it didn't seem clear what the distinction between the legally distinct nazis and their victims were; we see multiple types on both sides.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Four legs good, two legs bad.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well, not everyone in the Third Reich's command structure was the Aryan ideal either, you know? Not to mention the Allies also had people with blond hair and blue eyes fighting for them. The gap between the state ideal of beauty and the actual demographic makeup is one of those little touches that I enjoy in the show.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jesus Christ. Knights and Magic is fun but I've never watched an anime that felt so incredibly rushed. I mean INCREDIBLY rushed.

In the latest episode one of the bad guys that's been hounding the heroes for a while shows up with a villainous plan, the plan is shut down in like 15 seconds because the MC introduced keys to all the mechs which never used to need them, so the dastardly burglars had NO IDEA why they couldn't steal poo poo and the villain is killed within 5 minutes. The epic fight between good and evil lasts about 1 minute total.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

khy posted:

The epic fight between good and evil lasts about 1 minute total.

Sounds epic.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That sounds an awful lot like the LN author thinking he's being clever by having his MC be savvy about the whole Gundamjack thing, and deliberately introduce it as a plot point so he can show this cleverness, while completely missing that there's a good reason, a VERY good reason, that actual military hardware like tanks and aircraft don't, in fact, have keys or the like.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

That sounds an awful lot like the LN author thinking he's being clever by having his MC be savvy about the whole Gundamjack thing, and deliberately introduce it as a plot point so he can show this cleverness, while completely missing that there's a good reason, a VERY good reason, that actual military hardware like tanks and aircraft don't, in fact, have keys or the like.

What's the reason?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Keys slow you down, when you may need to scramble in response to a sortie or surprise attack. And if the enemy has gotten inside your tanks, they're already dead.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You don't want the pilots scrabbling for the keys in an emergency, now do you?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

What's the reason?

Because people tend to die in war, and rendering a heinously expensive weapon inoperable because the dude with the password got his head blown off is seldom useful. Plus, the more layers of authentication you have, the slower and more difficult a weapon is to activate, which is a real problem if the enemy are charging at you with unfriendly intent.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

To be fair, the reason the keys were introduced was because the villains did this exact same poo poo five episodes ago and stole the 'brand new super awesome new mechs' the protags had just finished making, so the fact that they tried the exact same thing only to be unable to start them up wasn't bad. It's just that the pacing is absolutely godawful. There was four different plots going on in the same episode, each of which is introduced and resolved in like five minutes. They're fitting two cour worth of plot into one and it's suffering badly because of it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Restaurant to Another World was hitting a perfect game of "that looks delicious" up until this last episode when they tried to make Natto look good. Natto both looks and is gross and thank God Almighty that smell-o-vision isn't a thing or it would've resulted in some broken televisions. Go to hell nattooooooo

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Natto is good, actually.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Armor-Piercing posted:

Natto is good, actually.

oooooh

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/904713425779134464

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Crepe fairies were very good :3:

The elves 'discovering' natto & rice was pretty great too, really want to try natto sometime

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think I've only tried natto once and forgot what it was like. I could probably handle it because I'm used to weird stinky foods since I grew up and still eat plenty of Vietnamese food.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would he even have natto spaghetti on the menu

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Probably because during the normal work week, there are non-fantasy customers who eat it because it is a restaurant in Japan after all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's natto spaghetti, it's fettuccine!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh my god

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's natto spaghetti, it's fettuccine!

:golfclap:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Natto spaghetti as an idea very well illustrates how hosed up the Japanese "western food" dining concept is.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's more like, "well, spaghetti is a Western food, let's add something Japanese people like/accustomed to, to fit our taste." Kind of like what they do with everything else. They probably know that no one else outside of Japan would eat/like natto, much like how no one outside of Australia would like vegemite.

Now I wonder if vegemite spaghetti exists

Edit: I googled it, and yes, it is a thing. drat.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
...I would have never even thought to try that. Maybe I'll test it out if I'm bored one night

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
and Knorth was never heard from again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vegemite is good

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

inb4 a Surströmming defender shows up

There's an interesting metaphor between consuming bad but palatable foods and bad anime. Something something you develop a taste for it something.

In conclusion, :barf:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Armor-Piercing posted:

Natto is good, actually.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Hello yes I'm swedish. Surströmming is the grossest thing on the planet though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hai Droyer desu~

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/blend_s_anime/status/905234353206079490

interesting-looking workplace comedy about a girl who roleplays as a sadist at a themed cafe where other character waitresses are offered, such as Imouto, Onee-san, Tsundere, and Idol(♂)

no but really, this guy is voiced by the same seiyuu as Nico from Love Live.

the cast seems balanced between boys and girls, servers and chefs/managers, so it seems it'll be similar to Working! as a workplace comedy. The anime will be handled by A-1 Pictures, and directed by the ex-gainax animator who did the Gurren Lagann Parallel Works short where Viral is the protagonist and fights bandit-lord Kamina

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sold

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

AnacondaHL posted:

There's an interesting metaphor between consuming bad but palatable foods and bad anime. Something something you develop a taste for it something.

In conclusion, :barf:

Schlivowitz and Anime. Why didn't I think of it before?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Droyer posted:

Hello yes I'm swedish. Surströmming is the grossest thing on the planet though.

I've asked like a dozen or so Swedes about it, and I've never seen one even try to defend Surströmming. Does anyone actually eat the stuff?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chiaki is the cruelest anime villain of all time

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Chiaki is the cruelest anime villain of all time

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

nielsm posted:

Natto spaghetti as an idea very well illustrates how hosed up the Japanese "western food" dining concept is.

The reasoning is spelled out in the first episode, "Western Food" just means anything that wasn't originally Japanese. That and "as long as there's good food, everything's all right :cool:". That said, at least in-universe they explain that no one but that weirdo elf eats natto.

On the ep, I still love how dragon girl refuses to speak with her mouth. She's probably going to give the chef a heart attack one of these meal services.

• Locked thread