Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 4, episode 22 "To the Death"

lol, I forgot Weyoun was killed in his first appearance. I guess he won't be remembering this later on. Also the fight choreography was just so bad. I mean it's always bad in Star Trek but this was like a pulp western or something, just comical.

Episode 23 "The Quickening"

You know, for all the big deal the Dominion made about not wanting the Federation in the Gamma Quadrant, and especially after the destruction of the Odyssey, the crew sure does jaunt off over there with impunity on a regular basis. That's called trespassing. What I'm saying is, the war is Sisko's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've been watching it without and I miss the laugh track. I've probably seen every episode ten times with it and it feels like an old friend that's gone

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You know, for all the big deal the Dominion made about not wanting the Federation in the Gamma Quadrant, and especially after the destruction of the Odyssey, the crew sure does jaunt off over there with impunity on a regular basis. That's called trespassing. What I'm saying is, the war is Sisko's fault.

Although with as big as the Dominion fleet is, you'd think it would have been trivial for them to park a few attack bugs on their side of the wormhole and just said "nope. nuh uh. get the gently caress back over to your side" any time someone went through.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, letting the Feddies through gives them intel on Federation ships for the upcoming invasion.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
It also doesn't seem like a bad idea from the Dominion's standpoint to let the Alpha Quadrant folks have a nice close look at what happens to a planet that resists Dominion rule.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I got Birth of the Federation working with the Dominion mod, I found a modded version that fixes the memory leak bug so you can actually run the game. It's still fun as long as you turn off the borg in the .ini

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not saying this as disagreement with or criticism of her, but I think McFadden was the only person left on the show interested in doing that. She said before she left the show it seemed like the writers wanted to explore Picard/Crusher, and after she came back nobody wanted to even talk about it. I'm sure part of it was the execs saying "no continuity, no story arcs", but I also wonder how much of it was a petty "that was the other writers' idea" attitude from the guys that came in during/after season 3.

Arcs were perfectly permissible in TNG--though subtle by current standards--as long as it was someone that the high-attrition writing staff cared about/were told to develop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shibawanko posted:

I got Birth of the Federation working with the Dominion mod, I found a modded version that fixes the memory leak bug so you can actually run the game. It's still fun as long as you turn off the borg in the .ini

Direct me to these things please

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 season 4, episode 22 "To the Death"

lol, I forgot Weyoun was killed in his first appearance. I guess he won't be remembering this later on. Also the fight choreography was just so bad. I mean it's always bad in Star Trek but this was like a pulp western or something, just comical.

I think the wormhole was supposed to be outside the Dominion's border, since the Federation wandered around the Gamma Quadrant for a year and half or so before running into them. So the Federation didn't recognize their authority to put up the Keep Out sign. Although it never really made sense to me why the Dominion didn't just annex everything around the wormhole.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Direct me to these things please

https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1093&sid=73d16c8db32c56fd45ba1a15dc9f6bb6 here you go, the link is somewhere down the page. You have to run the installer and it will install the main components and any additional mods you want, I went with the regular dominion mod (the "large dominion mod" gives you a bigger map i think, but it makes the map view so tiny that i can't make anything out). It also installs a memory leak-patched version of the original.

The mod is really fun, it throws out some of the goofy TNG races and replaces them with DS9 ones. It even has the Breen!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Knormal posted:

I think the wormhole was supposed to be outside the Dominion's border, since the Federation wandered around the Gamma Quadrant for a year and half or so before running into them. So the Federation didn't recognize their authority to put up the Keep Out sign. Although it never really made sense to me why the Dominion didn't just annex everything around the wormhole.

I got the impression that the gamma quadrant side of the wormhole was in deep space not anywhere near any claimable planets. I wouldn't be surprised if physically moving a non-warp-capable station that far was impossible for the dominion.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On the production side when did they decide on the idea of the Dominion? Was it always there in the back of the writers minds from the start?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Early season 2 writer's room, they wanted to give the Gamma Quadrant a face and structure. Behr basically sat a bunch of them down and went 'okay, we're gonna make a big long-term Gamma Quadrant villain, let's brainstorm on how to make a cool one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 4, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

shadok posted:

It also doesn't seem like a bad idea from the Dominion's standpoint to let the Alpha Quadrant folks have a nice close look at what happens to a planet that resists Dominion rule.

Well, for that episode, sure, but they hop off to the G. Q. just about every other episode it seems.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had this idea for new Trek series being set in the future where refugees of all the wars Janeway started in the Delta quadrant were flooding into the Alpha and realized it was pretty much the right wing fantasy of evil refugees.

But I cannot help but think Voyager damaged the Delta Quadrant so much it killed trillions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Weyoun was supposed to be a one off character but they loved him so much in To the Death that the writers made up the whole cloning idea to get him back on. Imagine season 6 or 7 without Weyoun!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I could have stood for more Iggy Pop's Vorta character if we hadn't had Weyoun. I liked his laconic but cynical take.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Keevan's appearances were just perfect though :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

twistedmentat posted:

But I cannot help but think Voyager damaged the Delta Quadrant so much it killed trillions.

In the episode Living Witness (the one that's set hundreds of years farther in the future), didn't they outright say that Voyager was remembered as some horrible ship of doom, bringing death to every world it touched?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
THEY remembered it thay way but seeing as how that culture was hosed it's kind of a useless point.

Best version of the crew by far though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It was a neat way to do a Mirror Universe without using an actual other dimension.

That particular episode ends with 700-years-in-the-future-The-Doctor-backup taking a shuttle to follow Voyager home; I like to imagine that, having vindicated Voyager on that one world, he then encounters world after world hosed up by an increasingly desperate Voyager ship of doom.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Happy Labor Day, Star Trek thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qag2bOBUVfQ

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I had this idea for new Trek series being set in the future where refugees of all the wars Janeway started in the Delta quadrant were flooding into the Alpha and realized it was pretty much the right wing fantasy of evil refugees.

That actually did come up at least once on the show. In "Hope and Fear," the whole reason that Ray Wise alien made that fake-Federation slipstream ship was to kill Voyager's crew in revenge for helping the Borg beat Species 8472 and thus allowing them to assimilate his entire species afterward. Voyager's effect on the Delta Quadrant is also something that's been wrestled with in a few of the post-series novels.

As an aside, I really like that Dauntless was made to look like a Federation ship that was built by someone who doesn't quite know what a Federation ship was supposed to look like. At first pass everything looks fine, but you start looking at it and all these incorrect details start popping out. It's got the traditional saucer-engineering hull-nacelles arrangement, but everything is melded together into one piece, like you dropped a towel over Voyager or something. Then you start looking at the bridge and you realize it has no viewscreen and even fewer bridge stations than the Enterprise-D's bridge did. I just love the little things like that.

Powered Descent posted:

In the episode Living Witness (the one that's set hundreds of years farther in the future), didn't they outright say that Voyager was remembered as some horrible ship of doom, bringing death to every world it touched?

I love that episode, but I always wondered why a 31st-century Federation ship never showed up at some point and told those aliens their history was bullshit. Eh, maybe by then the Federation has a "deluxe Prime Directive" where they won't talk to anyone who doesn't have time machines.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All the Vorta were cool. The Vorta are the best species.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
As part of the celebration for the 50th (I'm running behind), I'm watching through all of Trek and have, regrettably, made it to Voyager.

It's a good thing Harry Kim remembers being in his mother's womb, because I'm fairly certain he'll never see the inside of another woman.

Also, his playground nickname was "Hairy Quim". If the federation weren't beyond such things, that is.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Marshal Radisic posted:

I love that episode, but I always wondered why a 31st-century Federation ship never showed up at some point and told those aliens their history was bullshit. Eh, maybe by then the Federation has a "deluxe Prime Directive" where they won't talk to anyone who doesn't have time machines.

They do, it's mentioned canonically, and it's called the Temporal Prime Directive.

Beachcomber posted:

It's a good thing Harry Kim remembers being in his mother's womb, because I'm fairly certain he'll never see the inside of another woman.

Actually he catches space VD like three times.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm up to season six on my DS9 rewatch and I watched Far Beyond the Stars and One Little Ship.

Now that's one hell of a tonal shift. Benny Russell losing his mind to Dax, Bashir and O'Brien Miss Frizzling their way around the defiant

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well thanks to a commercial I just realized Cassidy Yates actress is apparently one of the major characters on the Orville. MacFarlane is really hit or miss but I definitely want to check that out. Here's hoping if it is good it doesn't get Foxed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Marshal Radisic posted:

As an aside, I really like that Dauntless was made to look like a Federation ship that was built by someone who doesn't quite know what a Federation ship was supposed to look like. At first pass everything looks fine, but you start looking at it and all these incorrect details start popping out. It's got the traditional saucer-engineering hull-nacelles arrangement, but everything is melded together into one piece, like you dropped a towel over Voyager or something. Then you start looking at the bridge and you realize it has no viewscreen and even fewer bridge stations than the Enterprise-D's bridge did. I just love the little things like that.
And then Enterprise used that model as an actual future Federation ship during their Temporal Cold War crap because no one will notice, right?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Knormal posted:

And then Enterprise used that model as an actual future Federation ship during their Temporal Cold War crap because no one will notice, right?
Dauntless: NX-01-A.
Enterprise: NX-01.

Since nobody on Voyager raised so much as an eyebrow at the inconsistency, got to assume that the Temporal Cold War hosed with the ship names somehow.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Besides being surprisingly amateurish with the humor and such, I'm actually surprised how informative these "Junkball Media" shorts documentaries on the Enterprises are:

Ent-D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvhDExzH_xo

Ent-E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrjfvzJ-Xq0

They also have other shorts on other ships (Ent-B, etc) as well.

Fun fact: John Eaves apparently worked on JJTrek as well, as the sole-TNG era consultant. So basically - further gently caress John Eaves.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

:(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't have strong opinions on the Ent-E, but I think that if they took a little bit out of the angularness, it'd be a really nice looking ship. As it stands, it's just too sharp, which doesn't feel like a Federation aesthetic. I mean, I'm sure it's partially intended because the Federation went a little 9/11 crazy after the Borg and their ships are less likely tolerate loving Around, but still.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
What strikes me as interesting about better TNG is that there are times when Gene's rules actually do make for a far more interesting show than one driven by interpersonal conflict. It's actually kinda refreshing seeing a series whose character dynamic is one of being in an effective organization. It's a lot better than trying to create a triumvirate of characters who serve to yell at each other(like cargo cult TOS), though TNG also tried to do that sometimes too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm probably an outlier because I really like the designs of both the -D and -E.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'd have a hard time drawing the E off the top of my head. Part of that is just that it never got much screen time relative to the other ships, but it's not a standout design either.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm probably an outlier because I really like the designs of both the -D and -E.

Never cared for the "D" but I did like the "E".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
There's only one D I care for and it ain't no starship!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Keiko: "I have needs."
O'Brien: *Warp 9.9s out of there with tire-peeling sound effects* "NNNNOPE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Endgame is such a weird episode. I don't really remember how I felt about it at the time but I don't suspect I was fond of it, given that even now it's absurd in the extreme and is real, real dumb.