Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

Yakuza 3 is the first game I played in the series and I'm never ever gonna forget the moment that game sold me on the entire series.

It's when the big angry bald dude starts slapping all his subordinates in a row to psyche them up CAUSE ITS TIME FOR A GANG WAR BABY.

In Yakuza 3. When Mine kills Tanda and delivers his head in a box to Kiryu

That did it for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My two nemesis so far in Kiwami are Charon M. and carom shots. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol at the (chapter 11 spoilers) scene they added so it wouldn't seem weird that Majima turned up with a bandaged stomach at Shangri La.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Charon M. should be the big bad in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Giving the final boss the red recharge aura was an assholish move even though it works thematically I guess.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Pretty easy way to grind coliseum points is Burning GP, you can just chain throw the opponents and get 600-ish points pretty fast.

e: Breakout is another good one if you have it unlocked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LiQkbKVpE

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 4, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KingShiro posted:

Charon M. should be the big bad in the game.

He's actually really easy once you level up Dragon enough. Like 2 Tiger Drops and he's done

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I hope there's a spin off in the 1970s with Fei Hu, his music when you learned bat style was dope as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yakuza Zero-2 where you play as Majima and Saejima when they were roommates PLEASE :3:

I went back to finish off Zero (I'm in ch.13) and realized I wasted way too much time before starting Kiryu's real estate thing because I've got Majima almost maxed out (Cabaret Club doesn't give much money but you get 10 billion per district) whereas with Kiryu I haven't even beaten Gambling King (and thus haven't even started on Media King) so I've got a whole lot of real estate tycoon to do before I can afford to buy many Kiryu upgrades at all.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Were these flashback scenes with Nishiki in the original Yakuza?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think so.

I had forgotten his name when I played Zero and thought he was a new character in that though so I'm probably not the best person to ask (it's been a REALLY LONG TIME since I played Y1 okay)

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

No.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, no, the adventures of Nishki-kun in 'gently caress, why couldn't Kiryu be here instead of you' is a new inclusion for Kiwami.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, no, the adventures of Nishki-kun in 'gently caress, why couldn't Kiryu be here instead of you' is a new inclusion for Kiwami.

I like that they added them. It makes his turn feel more natural.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why is Goromi the Nice Lady the best developed and realized character in the series

E: i want a Bump And Scam Thugs dlc pack. Love these stupid thuggish moronic peaceful boys.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 5, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like those scenes too.

As someone who went way into the pocket fighter racing in 0, I'm glad they added basically a sequel story to it in Kiwami with characters from 0 popping back up.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Why is Goromi the Nice Lady the best developed and realized character in the series

I was sad when it ended and when there wasn't more of it.

I like those scenes too.

As someone who went way into the pocket fighter racing in 0, I'm glad they added basically a sequel story to it in Kiwami with characters from 0 popping back up.

I hope the team continues this idea of sequel side stories.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dammit why can't I find the Majima I'm looking for. I've fought him like a dozen times now but Everyone's Idol Majima just refuses to spawn for me, it's the last one I need to fully upgrade the Dragon style too

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Ryuga Death posted:

Yakuza Kiwami 2 sidequest where Majima returns to Sotenbori and must assemble his old hostess squad for One Last Job.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This Mesuking gaming ring is some serious business.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

E: i want a Bump And Scam Thugs dlc pack. Love these stupid thuggish moronic peaceful boys.

I love Goromi :stwoon: why couldn't we have a date after hours?! Coulda hit up whatever replaced Earth Angel.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

finished the game, nishiki was a fun boss but jingu can suck my nuts, hate whenever this series pulls off gun bosses.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

Dammit why can't I find the Majima I'm looking for. I've fought him like a dozen times now but Everyone's Idol Majima just refuses to spawn for me, it's the last one I need to fully upgrade the Dragon style too

he's a rare dancing type so supposedly he spawns more often around the hotel district. i've been going in and out of the convenience store there and have gotten him once already

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I love Goromi :stwoon: why couldn't we have a date after hours?! Coulda hit up whatever replaced Earth Angel.

uh you did, it's called getting an rear end-kickin' 😎

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

psychoJ posted:

uh you did, it's called getting an rear end-kickin' 😎

That wasn't after hours!!!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Which style do you guys use for those annoying, lovely story group fights? Every single fight goes as such: I attack, 20 people attack me interrupting my combo, I back off, I attack, 20 people attack me interrupting my combo. Then if they have guns add in getting shot dozens of times and using up a thousand healing items per fight. I use Rush and I constantly spam dodge. I punch once then dodge a thousand times, then hit again. Rinse and repeat for the next 3 hours until the fight is over.

Is there a group style that isn't trash? Is there an ability that makes me ignore hits that I missed? I loving miss Majima and just breakdance killing all these loving clowns.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Only a few Dragon upgrades to go, and they all involve waiting around to receive e-mails while sitting at SSS rank

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Which style do you guys use for those annoying, lovely story group fights? Every single fight goes as such: I attack, 20 people attack me interrupting my combo, I back off, I attack, 20 people attack me interrupting my combo. Then if they have guns add in getting shot dozens of times and using up a thousand healing items per fight. I use Rush and I constantly spam dodge. I punch once then dodge a thousand times, then hit again. Rinse and repeat for the next 3 hours until the fight is over.

Is there a group style that isn't trash? Is there an ability that makes me ignore hits that I missed? I loving miss Majima and just breakdance killing all these loving clowns.

i found one of the best things is to use brawler's finishing blows and then dodging away after every combo until you get into heat mode, at which point to switch to beast and start tearing rear end.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

lol at the (chapter 11 spoilers) scene they added so it wouldn't seem weird that Majima turned up with a bandaged stomach at Shangri La.

Haha, yeah. I was wondering why that was a thing that happened and why Kiryu seemed so laissez faire about it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jimbot posted:

- Equip beast
- grab a table or chair
- wreck 5 guys
- repeat

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jimbot posted:

shotguns works really well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Am I correct in thinking Arase is some sort of DMC reference?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

FutureFriend posted:

i found one of the best things is to use brawler's finishing blows and then dodging away after every combo until you get into heat mode, at which point to switch to beast and start tearing rear end.

Yeah, it still blows but this works OK. It's still a shitshow. Playing this game on Hard just isn't worth it, compared to 0. These fights feel like they're from a 12 year old game. HP values remained the same while the reduced the damage the styles do from 0. It's just a worthless slog of getting stunlocked in by mooks while the boss just pulls a five hour long multi-hit combo on you with armor.

I hope Kiwami 2's fights are better because these are all just trash.

Edit: I mean group fights. I just did the katana boss and that was another shitshow fight, but he was manageable by himself since the game litters you with weapons to use against him and they do a good chunk of damage. But that fight with all those other guys, holy gently caress. Wish it took place in the bar where I had a supply of chairs to smash over their heads.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 5, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yeah I love the series and all, but I have a hard time seeing how the developers expect you to beat most of these bosses (and Goro-kun) without either

A: whittling down their health for several minutes 1 jab at a time, anything more they will dodge out of it and punish

or

B: Using the Tiger Shot and ending each fight in 30 seconds

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think the hardest thing for me to adjust to in this game is not having infinite money anymore. I just went to the pharmacy and filled my pockets with Staminan Royale amd then realized i just spent 80% of my cash with no immediate route to replace it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ryuga Death posted:

The first 3 games had at least one recurring side story. It's just that it was kinda boring (and also got cut from US 3).

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Wow, that penultimate boss fight is a real wet fart in terms of how to make a fight interesting.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Can you miss out on sidestorys if dont speak to certain npcs at certain times etc

VoLaTiLe fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 5, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The RNG hates me. I always get those broken fighters in the Colosseum. Why yes, I'd love to fight guys whose combos hit me for more than 50% of my health instead of the normal guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes because some require a certain time of day or Haruka to be with you, however they're all available in Premium Adventure after you finish the game afaik.
Also one of the early CP items is an accessory that makes side stories show up on the map.