Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I held a gym membership once for over a year without ever stepping foot in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Android Apocalypse posted:

Related content: I re-upped my gym membership. To me having to pay to work out gives me the motivation to not waste my :20bux: because when I tried having a home gym, I'd make excuses to not work out.

Weird how finances can be a motivator.
Gyms being cheap can also be a bad thing. I have a Planet Fitness membership which is only :10bux: /month, and I used to go several times per week and actually get use out of it, but recently motivation has been a big issue for me and I’m lucky if I get there once a week. I’m still paying for it, though, because $10 isn’t a big expense and I still get some use out of it sometimes, even if it isn’t anywhere near as much as I used to.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

The Ferret King posted:

to be fair to Android Apocalypse's post, if paying for it doesn't motivate you enough, having the equipment readily available across the hall probably won't do much for ya either

money is a pretty big motivator but nothing motivates KingSlime like a good ol' fashioned dry spell :suicide:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah it comes from within For sure.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

round trip airfare to albuquerque new mexico in mid october. my first real vacation in 10 years and my first time flying.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Related to gym chat:

I bought 7 packs of Stilton flavour Mini Cheddars and got another 7 packs free

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Gyms being cheap can also be a bad thing. I have a Planet Fitness membership which is only :10bux: /month, and I used to go several times per week and actually get use out of it, but recently motivation has been a big issue for me and I’m lucky if I get there once a week. I’m still paying for it, though, because $10 isn’t a big expense and I still get some use out of it sometimes, even if it isn’t anywhere near as much as I used to.

My gym charges me if I don't attend. It is a good motivator :)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

canis minor posted:

My gym charges me if I don't attend. It is a good motivator :)

The point was that $10 isn't a good motivator.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If you don't wanna work out, you'll find a way to not work out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you don't wanna work out, you'll find a way to not work out.

^^^^^

Don't let gym companies exploit you for that and make money, god drat. Gross.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

baram. posted:

round trip airfare to albuquerque new mexico in mid october. my first real vacation in 10 years and my first time flying.

If that's not for Balloon Fiesta, show up a few days earlier to see it!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Same here. Got all my calorie burning from bike riding.

I did long distance fitness rides (30-50 miles)

And daily errand rides (grocery store, post office, shopping)

Weight lifting I had some kettlebells at home.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah the best way to get in shape is to find a physical activity you enjoy.

Anyone wanna buy me a gym membership so I can learn rock climbing or martial arts?

:smith:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ChocNitty posted:

Same here. Got all my calorie burning from bike riding.

I did long distance fitness rides (30-50 miles)

And daily errand rides (grocery store, post office, shopping)

Weight lifting I had some kettlebells at home.

Oh I just didn't do poo poo. It was two more years before I got the motivation to start working on myself.

Now I spend $10 per month to be sore and angry all the time.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

If that's not for Balloon Fiesta, show up a few days earlier to see it!

it's for my birthday week, but my friend was telling me even before i planned dates about the balloon fest and that i should come for that. i'm flying out the 14th so we're planning to catch the last day of it :)

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

baram. posted:

it's for my birthday week, but my friend was telling me even before i planned dates about the balloon fest and that i should come for that. i'm flying out the 14th so we're planning to catch the last day of it :)

Mass launch at dawn is one of the most jaw dropping things I've ever seen in my life. If you're all "I'm not sure if it's worth waking up at 4am to see a bunch of balloons"...uh, it's really worth it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tickets to see these. Monday is gonna be good.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I used to live in Albuquerque and N'th-ing the Balloon Fiesta love. It's really incredible and definitely should not be missed.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

100 dirty crusty coins

Likely all late roman imperial bronze coins. (300 AD)

Not expecting to find anything valuable enough to make a profit on, or to make the work and patience required to clean them worthwhile money wise, but I think its fun, and who knows, I may find something interesting, or rare, and in this world, rarity does not cost much like it does with modern coins and money.

They will be coins to give out to people who seem like they might have interest in the hobby when I bring it up in conversation.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
$200 of that sweet green stuff, gonna roast it all tomorrow.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

20 3/4" Uniseals! Exciting!

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

What's the volume loss on roasting these? How much spicy goodness will you actually have from five boxes fresh?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

kreyla posted:

What's the volume loss on roasting these? How much spicy goodness will you actually have from five boxes fresh?

A disappointingly small amount. I think last year we did three boxes and I got like 24 cups maybe? I actually have a pic of finish product from last time but I can't find it right now. I know it was enough for two big batches of pork green chili and maybe two or three smaller side dishes. One of these boxes it's for a friend who's coming over to help, and I will likely be a chump and give away another box worth to our neighbors.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

Did you buy two whole ounces for one day or do you live somewhere lovely?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I bought a tent, hooray for legally sanctioned and socially acceptable vagrancy! It's a Six Moon Designs Deschutes Plus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

strangemusic posted:

I bought a tent, hooray for legally sanctioned and socially acceptable vagrancy! It's a Six Moon Designs Deschutes Plus.

Did you get the net for the inside?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Did you get the net for the inside?

The Plus version comes with bug netting around the bottom that you can tuck under your groundsheet, so I figured that would be good enough. The netting is all that black stuff in the photo: the regular Deschutes is just the upper part. The Plus packs smaller than the tent + net combo would, which I like. And, I can't afford both a regular Deschutes and the inner net tent put together!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

strangemusic posted:

The Plus version comes with bug netting around the bottom that you can tuck under your groundsheet, so I figured that would be good enough. The netting is all that black stuff in the photo: the regular Deschutes is just the upper part. The Plus packs smaller than the tent + net combo would, which I like. And, I can't afford both a regular Deschutes and the inner net tent put together!

Sweet, might have just found my new bikepacking shelter then. Just gotta figure out a way to setup without a pole or get a folding one.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Sweet, might have just found my new bikepacking shelter then. Just gotta figure out a way to setup without a pole or get a folding one.

wazzup bikepacking friendo.

SMD sells collapsible carbon fibre poles as well, I bought one to go with the tent. Depending on your height you can get two different lengths so it's not quite as adjustable as a trekking pole but hey.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

strangemusic posted:

wazzup bikepacking friendo.

Hell yeah come do the Florida Huracan 300 in Feb. We had over 100 participants last year, great route and plenty challenging, plus you'll see like 100 gators.

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/huracan-300-bikepacking-route/

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Sep 4, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

big mean giraffe posted:

Did you buy two whole ounces for one day or do you live somewhere lovely?

I'm not sure if you're retarded or what

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Just bought a whole bunch of USB C stuff made by Anker, 3 USB A to C cables, one C to C, a car charger, and a desk charging brick with one C port and four A ports. I've had my Nexus 6P since release and never felt like a needed extra cables or anything, but I've wanted some and I should be set now, at least until more stuff starts using USB C (but then my computer has no USB C ports anyway).

You all know what cables look like, it's not that exciting. This thing is smaller than I expected though, like credit card sized. I used some velcro to mount it to my wall behind my desk.

Anyway it's great timing to buy all this USB C stuff because...I'm getting a free upgrade from my Nexus to a Pixel XL. The 6P has a known battery issue so in lieu of replacing it with another 6P, for some reason, Google is replacing it with the Pixel XL. I guess they're out of 6P stock. So I also bought a case for my new Pixel XL, a Spigen clear TPU.

Some people said it discolors after about a year but for $12 I'll just buy a new one if/when it happens. Pretty excited about this, I was planning to keep my refurb 6P for another few months and buy a Pixel 2, but now I can hold out for the Pixel 3.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Bought a, new to me, 2015 Nissan Altima.
24k miles on it.
$15k out the door.
Not the best deal ever, but it's what I was looking for.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I'm late on the gym chat, but I was sick of paying for a membership and also having to share equipment with other people, so I bought a rack, barbell, weights, and a bench. I also sprung for a pair of real, no fooling, weightlifting shoes (on sale, because holy poo poo those are expensive) because I am also sick of low-bar squatting.

Also decorating my new office, I bought this poster:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah the best way to get in shape is to find a physical activity you enjoy.

Anyone wanna buy me a gym membership so I can learn rock climbing or martial arts?

:smith:

Buy? Hell no. But if you live in Maryland and want to learn to rock climb I can give you one of my guest passes to Earth Treks and teach you. Always looking for climbing buddies.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Finally set up my rock tumbler and bought some rough for it.

Ocean jasper: never the same rock twice.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

schreibs posted:

Buy? Hell no. But if you live in Maryland and want to learn to rock climb I can give you one of my guest passes to Earth Treks and teach you. Always looking for climbing buddies.

Are you already friends with all the other goons who live in Maryland and go to the Earth Treks in Rockville?

Edit: Today I bought beer because I was coming back from vacation at a lake in western Maryland and they have all the good Maryland beers a lot cheaper than the 6 packs go for outside of D.C.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Humerus posted:

Just bought a whole bunch of USB C stuff made by Anker, 3 USB A to C cables, one C to C, a car charger, and a desk charging brick with one C port and four A ports. I've had my Nexus 6P since release and never felt like a needed extra cables or anything, but I've wanted some and I should be set now, at least until more stuff starts using USB C (but then my computer has no USB C ports anyway).

You all know what cables look like, it's not that exciting. This thing is smaller than I expected though, like credit card sized. I used some velcro to mount it to my wall behind my desk.

Anyway it's great timing to buy all this USB C stuff because...I'm getting a free upgrade from my Nexus to a Pixel XL. The 6P has a known battery issue so in lieu of replacing it with another 6P, for some reason, Google is replacing it with the Pixel XL. I guess they're out of 6P stock. So I also bought a case for my new Pixel XL, a Spigen clear TPU.

Some people said it discolors after about a year but for $12 I'll just buy a new one if/when it happens. Pretty excited about this, I was planning to keep my refurb 6P for another few months and buy a Pixel 2, but now I can hold out for the Pixel 3.

How do I go about replacing my 6P? I've filled out that class action suit that came up a few months ago but haven't heard anything since. I did buy my phone from google play store when it first came out.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Good Dog posted:

How do I go about replacing my 6P? I've filled out that class action suit that came up a few months ago but haven't heard anything since. I did buy my phone from google play store when it first came out.

I just replaced mine about 3 weeks ago. Just go through their support and tell them about the battery issue. Took me all of 20 minutes and got the phone in another week. Even with my warranty expired over a year ago they still sent me one. And so far this one is working fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

queserasera posted:

Finally set up my rock tumbler and bought some rough for it.

Ocean jasper: never the same rock twice.

I'm genuinely curious. After you round and smooth a bunch of rocks, what do you do with them?